Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

I have an all in one print center but.. *Need a bigger scan bed.*
sandy at 5:30PM, March 8, 2007
(online)
I have a cannon multipass printer, scanner copier and it works really well. The only thing is, it has a nine by twelve scanning surface which is far too small for me to scan in my large scale bristol boards. I always end up going to the copy shop to reduce my work once I have it inked. I was wondering if there is such a thing as a wide bed scanner, and can I run two devices off of one computer at the same time? Going to the copy shop is becomming a real hasstle.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Eirikr at 5:47PM, March 8, 2007
(online)
Hmmmm, have you tried scanning the larger pictures with your regular scanner, but scanning it in chunks and putting the different scans into one unified picture on the computer? That's the only thing I can think of that's cheap.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
sandy at 6:04PM, March 8, 2007
(online)
Hmm, I suppose I could do that and then put them all into PSP, but then it might not come out the way I'd like it in the final scan. I dunno, I'd really have to try doing that wouldn't I?
reconjsh at 7:14PM, March 8, 2007
(online)
Large document scanners are fairly expensive. You're looking at spending probably $1,000+ USD.

And my local print shop will scan in large documents for me for $0.50 and put them onto my USB key. So that's 2,000 scanned documents before I break even on scanning at the print shop versus buying my own.

Usually, I just cut and paste in photoshop after I scan-in in chunks.

Here's some on NEWEGG LINK

-Ozoneocean edit- please post named links like this rather than simple links because it breaks the formatting of the site in Firefox.

-reconjsh edit- my bad :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
ShadowsMyst at 4:48PM, March 9, 2007
(online)
I have to scan large documents on a small scanner all the time. I just do it in chunks as was suggested. Some tricks are:
- scan it at a higher resolution than you need it so you an reduce it and reduce the flaws in the join later.

- make sure the scans you do ‘overlap’ significantly, it helps when you go to line them up.

- Try to figure how to scan it in as few chunks as possible.

I've never done it in PSP, I use photoshop, but basically stick them on different layers in a big enough document, adjust the transparency so that you can see through the layers enough to see the layer underneith and line them up carefully. Flatten the image and then reduce the resolution to the resolution you normally work at.

Hope that helps.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
ozoneocean at 1:15AM, March 11, 2007
(online)
Yeah, piecing a big page together after a scan on a normal A4 scanner is the way to go. It's very easy when you get used to it.
As ShadowsMyst says: make sure you have overlap. What also helps a LOT is that if you always line up one edge so that it's “square” against the edge of your scanner. That helps a lot!

Lining up the pieces is easy when you can use layers and set the overlapping layers so that they're a bit transparent. Also, trimming off overlap afterwards is a good way to get rid of bits where is gets a bit dark towards the edge because some of it overhung the scanner during the scan.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
sandy at 8:06PM, March 12, 2007
(online)
Hmmm, that sounds like fun. I might just try and do that for fun once I crank out the first chapter of my book. I need time for expreimentation and I really hate to run myself into a snag when I'm coming so close to completion. Yeah, definitely, I'll give it a go.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved