Debate and Discussion

"A" Rating
MadTarnsman at 4:51PM, June 13, 2011
(online)
So, if a comic has an Adult rating, it can't/won't be featured?

This caused me to recently change my rating to “M” even though I have the criteria to fit both an A and an M….truth be told, though, it'd probably better off rated A.

I don't, however, want my work to be handcuffed, pigeonholed, overlooked just because of its rating. If I'd used the mentioned criteria simply for shock value rather than legitimate story advancement, that would be one thing but that's not the case.

So, unless a comic is entitled Bra Bustin' Renegade Nuns on Wheels…..what's the problem?

ALSO: What's up with the site??? It's slower than me at 0400 on any given morning….it's slower than the government……it's slower than Obama's teleprompter…..it's……well, you get the idea….

“Life comes at ya pretty fast, sometimes….double tap to the head if it does….”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
El Cid at 6:57PM, June 13, 2011
(online)
I've seen your comic. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, cuz you posted so much at once (and yeah, because the site's been ridiculously slow). But from what I have seen, I'd say it's definitely an “A” and not an “M.” Considering some of the content, I don't think changing the letter rating is going to improve your chances of being featured. They don't want anything on the front page that might be in bad taste, and pics of slave girls' body orifices tend to rankle some people. Weird, I know!

Don't worry about being featured. You should focus on putting out a great comic, and readers will come!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
MadTarnsman at 7:26PM, June 13, 2011
(online)
El Cid
I've seen your comic. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, cuz you posted so much at once (and yeah, because the site's been ridiculously slow). But from what I have seen, I'd say it's definitely an “A” and not an “M.” Considering some of the content, I don't think changing the letter rating is going to improve your chances of being featured. They don't want anything on the front page that might be in bad taste, and pics of slave girls' body orifices tend to rankle some people. Weird, I know!

Don't worry about being featured. You should focus on putting out a great comic, and readers will come!

They don't like “orifices”…?? Yer right….that is petty!! *s*

“Life comes at ya pretty fast, sometimes….double tap to the head if it does….”
Hawk at 1:06PM, June 14, 2011
(online)
I agree with El Cid, you should just let your comic be what it's going to be and not worry about getting featured. It's a nice thing to happen to your comic and it would get you readers, but I've always felt like no real good ever came from misrepresenting your comic.

Plus, your comic will be scrutinized by an admin before it is featured. And in the process, if it truly should be rated ‘A’ they'll know it. So, it might not really have the intended effect in the end.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
machinehead at 7:59PM, June 14, 2011
(offline)
I've always wondered if my comic is really considered “M” or “A.” I wouldn't want to draw a “T” or lower comic just to try to get it featured. I want the freedom to one day draw a family friendly page or dedicate a page to scrotum's.
bravo1102 at 12:50AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
“M” rated comics are regularly featured. If I remember correctly even one with loads of nudity, a rape scene and a lesbian sex scene.

But no orifices. Depicting actual phallises and pudenda is where the line seems to be drawn for “A” versus “M”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Faliat at 7:17AM, June 23, 2011
(online)
This thread got me wondering about the ratings of my own comics…

… Then I remembered that the violence makes up for the lack of close-up bonking.

You should probably take that into consideration, too regarding your rating. There's plenty of times I've seen movies, played games and read comics/graphic novels where they get away with more of one type of content because it doesn't include the other and therefore fall short of a higher age category.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Lopriest at 5:52PM, June 29, 2011
(online)
An ‘A’ rating also restricts your comic to users who have registered their age as over 18. Something to consider to protect both yourself and impressionable young minds.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
HappyLandings at 7:59PM, Sept. 1, 2011
(online)
I've been wondering abotu this one too. Currently i got my comic set to a “T.” I was wondering if I should change it to M because I want to deal with the subject of sex, I want to use some fowl language and I want to have some heavy-handed real-world dialog between characters that I don't think teen audiences may pay attention to. I DON'T want to feature any nudity (characters will wind up in PG-13 bedsheet mode after sex.) Or any violence. What may come is that my comic will resemble the content of Penny Arcade, except without the violence. Think I should upgrade?

Hawk at 9:15AM, Sept. 6, 2011
(online)
If you feel that the mature dialogue will add to your comic and improve it, by all means do it.  Just make sure you're not doing it to be “edgy” or for attention alone.  If you have a good reason for it, such as aiding the story or setting a tone, a step up to M is not a big deal.
skoolmunkee at 11:45AM, Sept. 8, 2011
(online)
The line between T and M is a bit blurry and subjective anyway. I tend to think of them in terms of PG-13 vs. R-rated movies. Language, themes and violence tend to be less “offensive” than nudity though- even benign nudity almost always warrants an M rating unless it is super cartoonish.

The site doesn't make a user-end distinction between T and M any longer though. It used to be that if you were logged in and were under 13, you couldn't view M comics, but you could solve that just by logging out. Since there wasn't much point in it they just removed that aspect. Now T and M are simply useful as content indicators.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Allyndn at 11:29PM, Oct. 28, 2011
(online)
I mean no offense to those of you making the “A” comics, but I am in favor of keeping the A's out of the featured list. It has a lot to do with DD's image. Like, when I was at a comics convention about two years ago, I got to talking with this guy who had written a book about web comics. I mentioned that I'd started publishing on Drunk Duck. He nodded knowingly, said something about smut, and gave me this look like, “I know what kind of person you are.” The conversation made me hesitant to recommend the site to, for example, my comic loving under-10 nieces and nephews. At that time, it seemed like while there were Adult comics on the site, you could only find them by logging in and searching for them. Now, you see them on the “recent updates” as well.

I'm not against having A comics on the site. I think there's a place for them, especially if, as you say, the adult content is essential for story advancement rather than just for shock value. And they're easy enough to find if you look. I would just much prefer not having them right on the front page, especially not featured. I like the idea of DD being all-ages-friendly, with access to Adult material if you have an account.
El Cid at 6:40AM, Oct. 29, 2011
(online)
Allyndn wrote:
I mean no offense to those of you making the “A” comics, but I am in favor of keeping the A's out of the featured list. It has a lot to do with DD's image. Like, when I was at a comics convention about two years ago, I got to talking with this guy who had written a book about web comics. I mentioned that I'd started publishing on Drunk Duck. He nodded knowingly, said something about smut, and gave me this look like, “I know what kind of person you are.” The conversation made me hesitant to recommend the site to, for example, my comic loving under-10 nieces and nephews. At that time, it seemed like while there were Adult comics on the site, you could only find them by logging in and searching for them. Now, you see them on the “recent updates” as well.

You can find plenty of smut like Devil's Shine on Smackjeeves, and you don't even have to register and verify you're an adult first to see it, like you do here, so I think that guy was something of an idiot, quite frankly. I hope his book tanked.

I think that before they changed the site, the Adult comics were only visible in search if you were logged in as an adult, but now they're always visible, but you just can't visit them. That's hopefully something they plan to fix at some point.

Allyndn wrote:
I'm not against having A comics on the site. I think there's a place for them, especially if, as you say, the adult content is essential for story advancement rather than just for shock value. And they're easy enough to find if you look. I would just much prefer not having them right on the front page, especially not featured. I like the idea of DD being all-ages-friendly, with access to Adult material if you have an account.
 There's “a place for them,” so long as thy're done Allyndn's way? Here's a wild idea: how about we just let people write the comics they want to write, and if you don't like it, piss off and don't read it? The adult comics are just fine on the front page and in the search. People who want to find them should be able to, and if you're registered as an adult but don't want to see them, you *should* be able to filter them out in your search prefs. Sound about fair to you?
last edited on Oct. 29, 2011 6:41AM
Allyndn at 2:26AM, Oct. 30, 2011
(online)
Hey, I'm not promoting any “Allyndn's way” thing, man. All I'm advocating is exactly what you said: “the Adult comics were only visible in search if you were logged in as an adult…” Just keep the site all-audience friendly.
last edited on Oct. 30, 2011 2:31AM
Jeremy Ray at 10:51PM, Nov. 2, 2011
(online)
DD is on the internet.  If you're worried about being scarred for life, you've already screwed up.
My comic was featured on SmackJeeves - brought in a huge influx of new readers.  Relative to what it normally does, anyway.  I was disappointed to find that isn't a possibility here. 

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved