Media Megaforum

"The Universe", a show on The History Channel
Lonnehart at 6:06PM, Nov. 7, 2009
(online)
I've been enjoying the newest season so far. I've always found documentaries about Space and Geology/Oceanography entertaining. Too bad they don't show more about Earth than they do about space. Then again, we know more about space (and we have more theories) than we do about our own planet.

One show I did have a problem with was about space weapons/combat. I disagree with them about how combat will be side to side movement to dodge lasers/projectiles and such. Yes, there will be strafing. But there will also be lots of forward movement. Granted moving forward AND changing direction quickly will take a lot of energy, and it will sap pilot endurance. However, a moving target is a lot harder to hit than one that's just strafing side to side. And then there's the problem of inertia. No way you're gonna jerkily strafe to get out of the way of a laser blast.

Then again the entire show is just speculation since that kind of space combat hasn't taken place (except for computer games such as Freelancer… just turn off the engine governor and you'll see how space combat could really be). The only “space” combat we've seen so far were the intentional collision of satellites.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Draven_Xero at 9:17PM, Nov. 7, 2009
(offline)
Yeah, I agree on most points, but those space dogfights they animated, the first ones that played out like real world aerial combat…those were pretty cool. I think I want to play THAT as a videogame.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Product Placement at 7:10AM, Nov. 8, 2009
(online)
I've seen few of these ‘The Universe’ episodes but I haven't seen the space combat one. They show allot of hypothetical stuff that hasn't been fully proven yet in this show like the one about alternative universes. They interview Michio Kaku allot in that show and frankly, he bothers me because allot of the stuff he's talking about is stuff I was hypothesizing on my own when I was a kid. No, I'm not saying that I'm some super smart genius. I wasn't backing my theories up with a wall's worth of math like he's probably doing but it's a little frustrating hearing a guy talk about the stuff I was talking about years ago, knowing that he's being payed for it. And of course I can't talk about my theories anymore because people now say that I'm just talking about his stuff (except that my friends from my youth know better).

He must have wire tapped my home in the past for his ideas. lol!
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
ozoneocean at 7:49AM, Nov. 8, 2009
(online)
Lonnehart
space combat
Space combat? Ha! Sounds like they're riffing on Starwars. That was just based on romanticised WW2 style aircraft type naval warfare.

That's nonsensical in space. In open space anyway. You can't dodge a laser. And in space you can use weapons of awesome speed and force- nuclear explosions, particle accelerator guns that can fire projectiles at almost the speed of light… And so on. Weapons that will hit you at almost the same instant they're fired, literally. And area affect weapons that there is no way to escape. There's no horizon in open space, no where to run away to…

The idea of a space fighter is a silly fantasy, unless you're talking about something like dodging around inside asteroid belts or inside the outer atmosphere of a planet.

More realistically, if you can say such a thing, you'll probably look to old battleship or maybe submarine warfare: vessels with enough mass and space to carry huge energy plants to power phenomenal weapons, as well as shielding to foil attacks by similar weapons -it's possible to generate types of radiation that can disrupt various attacks etc. As well as the massive sensors and detection equiptment to spot adversaries hundreds of thousands of kilometres away.

If you did have any fighter type craft for the specific situations where you could use them, they'd probably be autonomous drones.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Lonnehart at 12:36PM, Nov. 8, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
More realistically, if you can say such a thing, you'll probably look to old battleship or maybe submarine warfare: vessels with enough mass and space to carry huge energy plants to power phenomenal weapons, as well as shielding to foil attacks by similar weapons -it's possible to generate types of radiation that can disrupt various attacks etc. As well as the massive sensors and detection equiptment to spot adversaries hundreds of thousands of kilometres away.

If you did have any fighter type craft for the specific situations where you could use them, they'd probably be autonomous drones.

That actually makes sense to me. A fighter wouldn't have the shielding to withstand one large battleship gun, let alone an entire barrage. And they'd have to be drones. With the speeds they'd have to be flying at, a normal human wouldn't be able to withstand the g-forces generated by such movement.

Wow… I just learned that if a magnetar were close enough to us that every credit card on Earth would be erased. O_O
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved