Debate and Discussion

"to catch a predator"-- justifiable?
chii at 11:57AM, Jan. 4, 2008
(offline)
TnTComic
chii
>..<.
Lets move past it for now till I can find the linkage… As for the other part of my writing, I still stand by it. I believe that public humiliation is far greater crime then the 90 days in a prison. I mean I thought public humiliation was illegale (at least where I live anyway). Then agian I could be incredabily wrong.

chii
This makes the purpose of the American justice system null and void, as his chance for redemption is completely destroyed.
qdawg
Chii you are an everflowing fountain of lol.
Someone basicly said
Condemning someone for internet art theft… That's like saying that you hate someone forever because they took a shit in your toilet. Or something.
“With her +2 mace of unfriendliness… She hath slayeth The bunny.” -Chii :cat:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
TnTComic at 12:02PM, Jan. 4, 2008
(offline)
chii
It's happened before >.<.
Lets move past it for now till I can find the linkage…

Agreed, because I just don't believe they did that.

chii
This makes the purpose of the American justice system null and void, as his chance for redemption is completely destroyed.

I agree, I don't like public humiliation. But I don't agree with letting guys off the hook who solicit minors online and actually show up to their house. I have a 2 year old daughter, another due in May. These are real concerns for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
chii at 12:12PM, Jan. 4, 2008
(offline)
TnTComic
chii
It's happened before >.<.
Lets move past it for now till I can find the linkage…

Agreed, because I just don't believe they did that.

chii

I agree, I don't like public humiliation. But I don't agree with letting guys off the hook who solicit minors online and actually show up to their house. I have a 2 year old daughter, another due in May. These are real concerns for me.

True! I believe that they should still be punished and sent to prison. What I want is for them to just not publicly humiliate them anymore. I mean it makes us feel better and those with kids (like you) too know that these sick people are being brought to justice but this is just wrong… I mean come on to throw them in prison AND make the whole world know what they have done is just wrong. Throw them in prison, but don't throw them in front of a camera. And besides the people in their home towns and such will know what they have done soon enough because of newspapers posting recent stories and just the fact they are gone… So they are still going to get publicly humiliated, but to do it on a national scale! That's just not right, at least not in my eyes.

Edit-Had to fix the text error thing… AGAIN.
qdawg
Someone basicly said
Condemning someone for internet art theft… That's like saying that you hate someone forever because they took a shit in your toilet. Or something.
TnTComic at 12:18PM, Jan. 4, 2008
(offline)
As opposed to police blotters in the local paper, I do believe that TCAP has made more than one bastard online second-guess his idiocy, nome sane? In that sense, maybe the public humiliation does some good. I honestly don't know. They get away with it because these people are universally reviled.
chii at 7:41PM, Jan. 4, 2008
(offline)
TnTComic
As opposed to police blotters in the local paper, I do believe that TCAP has made more than one bastard online second-guess his idiocy, nome sane? In that sense, maybe the public humiliation does some good. I honestly don't know. They get away with it because these people are universally reviled.

>..< This show isn't changing peoples minds, its only fucking them over more then they already will be from the cops.
qdawg
Someone basicly said
TnTComic at 3:32PM, Jan. 5, 2008
(offline)
I'm not so sure.
Paranoid Android at 6:30PM, Jan. 5, 2008
(online)
I don't understand why anyone should waste time worrying about methods of entrapment or the feelings of those caught. Imagine the feelings of the young girl or boy they were seeking? And any epidsode of this show I've seen, the people caught admit to having done this before, sometimes well over a dozen. They just happened to get caught, and while everyone is watching. I mean, this isn't exactly “How To Catch Someone Who's Beliefs Are Fragile Yet Different From Yours,” it's “How To Catch A Forty Five Year Old Man With A Case Of Vodka And A Big Wrinkly Old Man Cock Going Over To A Fourteen Year Old Girl's House Colorfully Bad Intentions.” Change, or be destroyed. They chose not to change. I'm sure there are reasons for what they are doing, but I'm sure there are also reasons why someone would decide to murder an entire family, disect their corpses and fuck their eyesockets, or why someone would walk into a store and start shooting everyone randomly in the head. I don't want to live next door to these people. In fact, I don't even like the idea of living in a world with these people. And if you want to be so sympathetic to them, then go after the people and the system that made them as well. Hell, you can televise that, too. And if you want to view it as entertainment, than that's your own voyeuristic concern. In any hope people will watch the show and get inspired to fight the wrongs in this world we all so clearly know surround us.

That's just my own opinion, of course. I don't have a very warm place in my heart for people of this nature, and in many cases, I don't care about taking the proper steps to a civilized conjunction of proper political practices in respects to fairness. What they've done is far beyond fair.

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”
-A. Einstein
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Aurora Moon at 7:02PM, Jan. 5, 2008
(offline)
I think you got the people here all wrong, P.Android.

It's not about sympathy toward the predators.

It's about the fact this TV show does NOTHING. Did you know that there was one guy on there who kept on reappearing in different episodes? Six times, to be more exact.
Every time he was caught, and then let go even though there was “Evidence”. The manner of the way they videotaped him actually damaged the evidence beyond belief, making it so that the courts were unable to try him as a predator FAIRLY. So as an result, the cases where that TV show had anything to do with it often gets thrown out, and the predators ends up back on the streets.

So you see? This TV show actually DAMAGES any chances of any trial where those guys are actually tried for their crimes and put behind bars.

As for “inspiring” people… From what I've seen, all it does is make people think that there's somebody else watching out for their kids, that there's somebody on the TV show making a difference. They're under the illusion that since somebody else, such as the people running the TV show, is doing something to “catch the bad guys” so that they don't have to.

In other words, it just makes people lazy when it comes to justice. After all, why want to do something like that when you have somebody else doing it? And of course they don't bother to look into whenever that “Somebody else” is actually helping or damaging the way the system are set up to protect minors.

“To catch a preadtor”….Helpful toward catching the bad guys? Uh, No.
Helpful in actually putting the predators behind bars? No, it just damages that chance.
All it does is put them on display for enterainment… And you're sorely mistaken if it actually helps warn people and stuff. The TV show doesn't even tell you about how to properly protect your kids, etc. They just go: “Look at this perv! HAHAHA!!”
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
TnTComic at 9:32PM, Jan. 5, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon

It's about the fact this TV show does NOTHING.

that's where you lost me
chii at 10:02PM, Jan. 5, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon

It's about the fact this TV show does NOTHING. Did you know that there was one guy on there who kept on reappearing in different episodes? Six times, to be more exact.
Every time he was caught, and then let go even though there was “Evidence”. The manner of the way they videotaped him actually damaged the evidence beyond belief, making it so that the courts were unable to try him as a predator FAIRLY. So as an result, the cases where that TV show had anything to do with it often gets thrown out, and the predators ends up back on the streets.

So you see? This TV show actually DAMAGES any chances of any trial where those guys are actually tried for their crimes and put behind bars.

As for “inspiring” people… From what I've seen, all it does is make people think that there's somebody else watching out for their kids, that there's somebody on the TV show making a difference. They're under the illusion that since somebody else, such as the people running the TV show, is doing something to “catch the bad guys” so that they don't have to.

In other words, it just makes people lazy when it comes to justice. After all, why want to do something like that when you have somebody else doing it? And of course they don't bother to look into whenever that “Somebody else” is actually helping or damaging the way the system are set up to protect minors.

“To catch a preadtor”….Helpful toward catching the bad guys? Uh, No.
Helpful in actually putting the predators behind bars? No, it just damages that chance.
All it does is put them on display for enterainment… And you're sorely mistaken if it actually helps warn people and stuff. The TV show doesn't even tell you about how to properly protect your kids, etc. They just go: “Look at this perv! HAHAHA!!”

Well said and awesome. I didn't know about some of that stuff. I didn't know that it makes it harder to put them behind bars… Oh lawd I have a new reason to hate the show.
qdawg
Someone basicly said
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
Aurora Moon at 10:06PM, Jan. 5, 2008
(offline)
TnTComic
Aurora Moon

It's about the fact this TV show does NOTHING.

that's where you lost me

The point is this:

The TV show DAMAGES the chance of those guys getting put behind bars. Thus, it doesn't do any good for the cause of protecting minors. So when you see that, how is such a TV show justifiable if it ruins any chance of those guys being put away behind bars for good?
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
TnTComic at 10:18AM, Jan. 6, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
The point is this:

The TV show DAMAGES the chance of those guys getting put behind bars. Thus, it doesn't do any good for the cause of protecting minors. So when you see that, how is such a TV show justifiable if it ruins any chance of those guys being put away behind bars for good?

Where are you getting your information?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20724657/

Is this the stuff your talking about?

I've seen the show a few times… the guy shows up, the police arrest him, and he winds up in jail. I don't see how that isn't doing any good. A cursory googling says they've put over a hundred of these guys in jail, so what are you talking about?
Aurora Moon at 10:57PM, Jan. 6, 2008
(offline)
There are Entrapment laws that I'm talking about here.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/e/entrapment/

There's been a dozen cases where the defedant was able to prove that they were being Entrapped by the TV show, and were then let go. Here's the part that gets me here. What if their “proof” that they were innocent wasn't real proof, but a way for them to get out of it using Entrapment laws?

also:

In the above definition, nowhere does it allow for a journalist to be a party to a sting operation. It might be argued that a “cooperative member of the public play a role as criminal partner or potential victim” gives Dateline the right to do what they are doing and possibly justifies their actions. Still, sting operations are the job of law-enforcement agencies. A police officer's job, according to their motto, is to serve and protect. How can they possibly protect Chris Hanson, the crew and even the actor they hired when they are in hiding outside the house that Dateline rented? How protected is Chris Hanson if the suspect decides to attack him, the crew or the girl? Unless the camera man or boom operator is an officer, the people in the house may be in imminent danger.
Sting operations are a great source of controversy because of their ethical concerns over whether they constitute entrapment. Law-enforcement has to be careful not to initiate the commission of a crime by someone who would not normally do so. The suspect may try a defense that they were entraped into commiting a crime.

Also…

In Murphree TX, they let every person caught by “TO CATCH A PREDATOR”, go free.
This was the town where that one dude killed himself over that TV show. Apparently he didn't even go to the house… he was a person who apparently didn't really take his little chats on line seriously. But the people who did the TV show tracked him down to his own house. So he shot himself when he saw the TV crew outside rather than to be seen as some kind of inhuman creature who preyed on minors.

That was what I was referring to.
Priceman at 11:24PM, Jan. 6, 2008
(online)
“I can resist everything….but temptation” ~Oscar Wilde

Basically saying that if you dangle bait in front of a fish, it'll bite. Some of the guys i've seen on the show seem perfectly fine. Some had families; wives, children, etc. The only problem is that some seemingly super horny 13 year old found them online and started talking about having “a good time”.

Normally, the average man would never do something like this right off the bat, but in the immortal words of Chris Rock:

"It's damn near impossible for a man to turn down sex. It's haaaaaarrrrd. We can stop chasing it, and even that requires some rehab! If sex chases us, we can't run that fast! "

The same goes for this show. Leave a $100 bill on the ground to see if someone walks off with it, what do you think will happen. If the person sees someone looking for the cash, they may return it. However, if the lot is empty, do you really expect them to return the bill to the police? Hell no. That's easy money. Sex is the same way. Jail bait is all around; kids trying to act like adults. We see these kids and laugh to ourselves, especially since we know there's no way we'd go for them. However, put them online, away from friends, family, and prying eyes and even the mose devout man will be tempted to give it a try.k

Temptation is the fuel of sin. Without one there the other can't exist. Same with the show. Without some employee secretly surounded by cops, talking like a veteran prostitue talking to you online, you'd never think of giving her a try. Justifiable? No.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Paranoid Android at 12:54AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(online)
I see the point of dangling temptation in front of these guys, but I have three responses to that. 1.) any of the guys that I saw on that show had admitted to doing it before, and getting away with it, some over a dozen times. there were no law enforcement officers and journalists those times around. just actual thirteen year old girls who didn't know exactly what they were getting themselves into until everything was over. 2.) what the hell where they doing in the chat rooms in the first place? looking for hundred dollar bills, obviously. 3.) if that's all it takes to break your will, then fuck you. die. horribly. I still don't want to live in a world with you.

and in response to the courthouse in Texas letting everyone go because they were afraid of lawsuits, fuck them too. they're about as morally inept as the people they're supposed to be going after. that's not the journalists fault, that's just stupid people in high places being stupid because they're afraid of having to pay some extra money to keep a bunch of assholes in jail. and if we were lucky, if we were really lucky, they'd all kill themselves. Either that or change, but how often do we really see that now? (though I do have to admit, I remember some years back this guy in Washington State was a convicted serial child rapists, and upon being released from prison he had himself professionally castrated. maybe that guy doesn't have to kill himself, but the rest… yeah, go ahead. Your family won't be extracting any guilt from me, no, no… Sometimes you get an uncle that's a swell fine guy, and sometimes you get an uncle that's a secret agent at night, and sometimes you get an uncle that likes to stick his old nasty penis in children. And if you want to extract guilt out of other people for what he did to himself after being caught out, then you, too, can go fuck yourself, because something tells me you're more interested in that big ol' bank account that not only a town would have, but a major television network).
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
TnTComic at 4:25AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
Priceman
The same goes for this show. Leave a $100 bill on the ground to see if someone walks off with it, what do you think will happen. If the person sees someone looking for the cash, they may return it. However, if the lot is empty, do you really expect them to return the bill to the police? Hell no. That's easy money. Sex is the same way. Jail bait is all around; kids trying to act like adults. We see these kids and laugh to ourselves, especially since we know there's no way we'd go for them. However, put them online, away from friends, family, and prying eyes and even the mose devout man will be tempted to give it a try.k

What's your response to a post like this, Ozone?

ozoneocean at 4:48AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(online)
I'm more interested in your response TNT :)
I know what it'll be but I'm interested in the form it'd take.

I can only suppose that Priceman's post primarily addresses the fantasy that is presented by the entrapment scheme. Not the hypothetical reality that never exists in this scenario. …I'm only supposing.

As for the guys who fall into these things: Sad pervs.

If you want the peados though, you're stalking the wrong hunting grounds. It's a lot easier to protect young people from pervs on the net than peado priests, care staff, teachers, foster parents, scout masters, sports coaches etc…

Which is why the show is just for entertainment.

————————————————————-
I'm a broken record here. I've nothing more to contribute. Sorry :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
TnTComic at 5:17AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean

I'll try to be delicate, but its hard when someone goes out of their way to point out that they believe adults are attracted to 13 year olds.

… fuck delicate, that was asinine.
Priceman at 6:21AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
I can only suppose that Priceman's post primarily addresses the fantasy that is presented by the entrapment scheme. Not the hypothetical reality that never exists in this scenario. …I'm only supposing.

As for the guys who fall into these things: Sad pervs.

Exactly.

TnTComic
I'll try to be delicate, but its hard when someone goes out of their way to point out that they believe adults are attracted to 13 year olds.

K, you lost me here.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Aurora Moon at 6:32AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
TnTComic
Ozoneocean

Actually I think the point he was trying to make is that now-days it's a lot difficulty to tell minors from adults. And just not talking 13-year-olds.

There's some well-developed minors out there who seem intent on proving how “mature” they are.

And it doesn't just only go for girls,neither.

Hell, I've been there. One time at an college party (which was being hosted at some random dude's house), I noticed this good-looking guy who seemed to be just my age. I was like 19 at the time. So I started coyly flirting around with him….
only to find out that he was only 14!!! The reason why he was even at an college party was that he lived there at the house and his older brother was hosting the party.

He was taller than I was, and had the built of an adult….So I couldn't believe that he was only 14. So I felt dirty for not only finding him attractive, but for actually flirting with him. This actually ruined my partying mood that night, lol.

Anyway…I can't help but see why some people could be attracted to people in their teens, especially the well-developed ones that look older than they actually are.

After all, what man isn't going to look at somebody like this:

And the sad thing is…. I actually knew at least 4 teenagers at my old high school that I used to go to, who actually looked like that.

So in Summary: Nowadays, Teenagers do look way more mature than their age.

And of course there are Morons who has that mentality: “Well, if they LOOK like adults… then they must be mature enough to handle sexual decisions. So if they ask me over the net to come to them for sex… well, I suppose that's Okay because they're MATURE ENOUGH TO HAVE CONSENSUAL SEX WITH ME! WOO, I get to have sex with a hot girl!”

Those idiots forget that the brain doesn't even stop developing until 22 years old of age. So even if the teenagers in question had bodies that matured early and had stopped developing competely…. that doesn't mean that their minds are developed enough to handle some mature decisions such as sex.

After all, we do tend to make a lot of stupid decisions when we're teenagers.
ozoneocean at 7:35AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(online)
That's why they're sad pervs rather than paedos. Paedophiles have a thing for kids who look like kids and act like kids. While the pervs are after easy sex…

Shows like that try to pretend it's all a new thing, but pervy guys have been after young teens since time immemorial. It's actually a hell of a lot LESS prevalent today because culture has moved on.

That idea about teens being more developed isn't true either. Nothing's changed in that regard. In times past people became sexually active a lot younger than they do now. Read anything for the 19th century… And even then I remember Jerry Lee Lewis the rock pianist in the 50's married his 13 year old cousin, and Elvis Presley wooed a 14 year old Priscilla. o_O

All that's changed is that mentally we age slower, even as body's develop at the same rate. So teens of today are more equivalent to younger children 100 years ago, maturity wise, even if they might learn more about the world.

None of that excuses the pervy behaviour though! I'm not going to demonise it because given the reasons above I know how fatuous that can be, but; The culture HAS moved on, that behaviour is no longer appropriate. AND taking advantage of immature, developing teens is a little sickening…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
TnTComic at 7:44AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
Actually I think the point he was trying to make is that now-days it's a lot difficulty to tell minors from adults. And just not talking 13-year-olds.

If that is the case, what's it doing in this thread? We're talking about people who only know what they're told in a chat session.. not people who can't tell how old some chick is. THEY ARE TOLD. “Hey, I'm 13… still interested?” “Yes.”

What they look like doesn't enter into it. Its all chat bullshit.
Aurora Moon at 8:32AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
TnTComic
Aurora Moon

If that is the case, what's it doing in this thread? We're talking about people who only know what they're told in a chat session.. not people who can't tell how old some chick is. THEY ARE TOLD. “Hey, I'm 13… still interested?” “Yes.”

I guess you failed to read the rest of my post, where I said this:

And of course there are Morons who has that mentality: “Well, if they LOOK like adults… then they must be mature enough to handle sexual decisions. So if they ask me over the net to come to them for sex… well, I suppose that's Okay because they're MATURE ENOUGH TO HAVE CONSENSUAL SEX WITH ME! WOO, I get to have sex with a hot girl!”

Those idiots forget that the brain doesn't even stop developing until 22 years old of age. So even if the teenagers in question had bodies that matured early and had stopped developing competely…. that doesn't mean that their minds are developed enough to handle some mature decisions such as sex.

Aurora Moon at 8:45AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
That's why they're sad pervs rather than paedos. Paedophiles have a thing for kids who look like kids and act like kids. While the pervs are after easy sex…

Shows like that try to pretend it's all a new thing, but pervy guys have been after young teens since time immemorial. It's actually a hell of a lot LESS prevalent today because culture has moved on.

That idea about teens being more developed isn't true either. Nothing's changed in that regard. In times past people became sexually active a lot younger than they do now. Read anything for the 19th century… And even then I remember Jerry Lee Lewis the rock pianist in the 50's married his 13 year old cousin, and Elvis Presley wooed a 14 year old Priscilla. o_O

All that's changed is that mentally we age slower, even as body's develop at the same rate. So teens of today are more equivalent to younger children 100 years ago, maturity wise, even if they might learn more about the world.

None of that excuses the pervy behaviour though! I'm not going to demonise it because given the reasons above I know how fatuous that can be, but; The culture HAS moved on, that behaviour is no longer appropriate. AND taking advantage of immature, developing teens is a little sickening…

Yes, that's true. But I wasn't just talking about the body delvopment… I was also talking clothes too, in gerenal.

back then, there was ways to tell a minor from an adult snice how there would be differences between a teenager's clothing and a mature woman's. Well, depending where you were in the world, anyway.
TnTComic at 9:39AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
TnTComic
Aurora Moon

I guess you failed to read the rest of my post, where I said this:

No, I read your post in its entirety, and it also has nothing to do with the fact that these people are exchanging text, not pics.
Aurora Moon at 10:45AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
Uhhh… to my knowledge, they will exchange pictures at times on that TV show before they meet in person.

Also, in this world, practically everyone and their mother owns a web-cam now. Hell, you can even pick up a cheap web-cam at a store for ten dollars now.
So even if it wasn't on the TV shows, those predators would most likely ask for a picture of the teenager to gauge “Attractiveness” and stuff.

Also, chat-rooms nowadays is more than just text…espeically if you use programs like MSN, Yahoo, etc… which allows for web-cam activity, and file-sharing of pictures.

After all, how many pimply-faced, fat teenagers do you hear of being kidnapped/and so on forth by those predators? It seems that 98% of the time whenever the news shows a picture of the said teenagers, they're always the attractive, well developed sort.
coincidental? Why is it that there aren't that many kidnapped “unattractive” teenagers?

So my point still stands.
TnTComic at 6:45AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
So my point still stands.

I hope you keep posting, because your point gets better and better. What is it now? You have no proof, but you just know they exchange pics? That about sum it up? No… wait… there's more…. the only kids that are kidnapped by pedos are the hot ones!

The hits keep coming!
Aurora Moon at 7:41AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(offline)
I do have proof backing me up.

If you look in goggle for facts about on-line preadtors' typical patterns, a dozen websites often made by law enforcement shows up.
And from those sites they say:
1) 1 in 33 received AGGRESSIVE sexual solicitation. Called them via phone, sent mail, money or gifts in return for sexual favors such as giving them photos and meeting in person. (As documented by Online Victimization, NCMEC).

2) One in five minors who use computer chatrooms has been approached over the Internet by sexual predators. (Detective Chief Superintendent Keith Akerman, Telegraph.co.uk).

3) 75% of children share personal information (such as pictures), about themselves willingly over the Internet in exchange for goods and services.

4) By the time they're 10 years old, 60% of children use the Internet.

5) 1 in 4 kids participate in Real Time Chat. (FamilyPC Survey).

6) 89% of sexual solicitations were made in either chat rooms or Instant Messages. (Pew Study reported in JAMA).

7) Only 25% of youth who received sexual solicitation told a parent. (Online Victimization, NCMEC).

Those were taken from the pages of various online safety sites… and I put the names of those sites in brackets so that you can google them yourself.

and I also took the liberty of high-lighting the important bits for you, in case you were blind. You said I didn't have proof? Please. you were just too lazy to google it yourself to see if I was right or not.

Next time, instead of mocking others, why don't you do some background checks to back up the fact of whenever I was right or wrong?
TnTComic at 9:04AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(offline)
Because its not MY job to prove YOUR arguments.
Aurora Moon at 10:11AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(offline)
TnTComic
Because its not MY job to prove YOUR arguments.

But it's YOUR “Job” to prove me wrong, if you want to take a opposing stance on what I have said here in this debate.
So that's why I said that if you want to ridicule everything I've said, look into the information first. You might just actually LEARN something.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved