Media Megaforum

"Vintage Crime" Novels
Kalos at 8:37PM, March 24, 2008
(offline)
Crime and mystery novels have always been my favorite genres of books, and I've found myself recently exploring some books that were written in the early to mid-20th century. The last three books I read were Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep, and Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest and The Maltese Falcon. All three were excellent, and I'd recommend them to anyone that has the same taste in literature. I'm really not sure where to go next, though.

Does anyone have any recommendations along the same lines?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
ozoneocean at 3:12AM, March 25, 2008
(online)
Night of the Jabberwock by Fredric Brown. That was a FANTASTIC mystery… un-put-downable.

Not a stylistic period piece like the classics you mentioned, although it was written in the mid 40's, Just an extremely clever, rollicking great crime mystery.

I love the A&E adaptations of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe with Timothy Hutton and Maury Chaykin. The original novels MUST be something worth reading, I'm going to have to look out for those!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
skoolmunkee at 7:29AM, March 25, 2008
(online)
I like Hammett's Thin Man stories. :) Also Chandler has better ones out there than Big Sleep, although it's his most famous.

You could also try Ross MacDonald (I think he has the same name as another author, make sure you get the right one), he has some great pulpy stories. I remember that the psychology in his books was pretty interesting :)

Hm… there's a series I really liked when I read it, but I can't remember anyone's names or the book titles at all… :/ Actually I think the main character's name was Jones? (gimme a break, this was like 6 years ago)… I know the author is living and publishing today, but he has a great style and his stories are set in the 30's. His perspective is from the black people living in southern california at that time, the main character is named Jones (I think) who ends up having to unofficially detective things because he gets accused of crimes etc. He has a friend who is probably the REAL main character, who is a smaller, smarter and wimpier black guy whose name I can't remember. :[ Haha, that's not helpful much is it?

Here's a page with some similar authors listed Although I'm not sure how similar some of them are to what you're looking for. James Ellroy has a couple awesome books and a couple god-awful ones. Michael Connely writes modern stories… I've heard good things about Pronzini and Stefanos though :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Kalos at 8:41PM, March 26, 2008
(offline)
Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm going to write them down and take them with me on my next trip to the bookstore :)

ozone, I started to read one of the Nero Wolfe novels a few years back, but I think I just wasn't in the right mindset and never got around to finishing it. It was undoubtedly well-written though. Perhaps I should start there since I've already begun reading it.

skool, I had a peek at that website. I'll definitely be referring to it when deciding what novels to read. Good stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Steely Gaze at 4:04PM, March 27, 2008
(offline)
Actually Kalos, I don't think I would compare the Nero Wolfe series to the three books you mention. Oh I love them, probably more than any other mystery novels out there, but the three you read were a little different than the average Rex Stout Nero Wolfe.

You could try Mickey Spillane. He's a lot more pulpy and violent than Chandler, but I like him just as much. He's written some good stuff, such as The Twisted Thing, My Gun Is Quick, and The Big Kill. He might or he might not be something you could enjoy.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved