Debate and Discussion

"What if" questions about sexual attraction
freefall_drift at 3:16PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
Faliat
nd it's not just pills that are discussed. I saw a parody webpage of a “gay away” patch kinda like a nicotine patch.
I did a comic strip about that a long time ago, hawking a product called “Breeder Booster” for those days when “you just feel just a little bit Queer”.
Freefall Drift - A sci fi space opera of a starship's mission of stopping the Endless Kings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
DAJB at 3:57PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
freefall_drift
The current military would go all straight, of course.
Not necessarily. Despite what Frank Miller might have us believe, the Spartans considered it an advantage for their soldiers to practice homosexuality (and enforced it if necessary!) Part of the rationale was that, the closer and more intimate their relationship with their colleages, the harder they would fight for each other. Another part was that they spent years away from their womenfolk, of course!

There's no reason why your fictitious state couldn't adopt the same philosophy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
ParkerFarker at 4:58PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
I am not sure whether someone said this before, but I am not gonna read all that was written (especially seeing how I saw one person said “I LOVE BOOBIES” ) but your logic is flawed. You say
freefall_drift
I can imagine situations where a straight man would take because he was in love with a gay man
thus making him gay and no need for the drug

and
freefall_drift
I can easily imagine situations where a gay man … was in love with a woman.
thus making him straight, no need for drug.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Faliat at 5:51PM, May 19, 2009
(offline)
ParkerFarker
I am not sure whether someone said this before, but I am not gonna read all that was written (especially seeing how I saw one person said “I LOVE BOOBIES” ) but your logic is flawed. You say
freefall_drift
I can imagine situations where a straight man would take because he was in love with a gay man

and
freefall_drift
I can easily imagine situations where a gay man … was in love with a woman.
thus making him straight, no need for drug.

Not exactly. In my opinion you can feel just lust, love, both or neither.
You know those times when you think “If only you were a guy/girl. We'd be a great couple.”?
That would be when you're having strong emotional connections with someone but can't get over the barrier of gender attraction.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
freefall_drift at 9:34PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
freefall_drift
Doesn't work that way. At least not with the truly straight men I've met. They are not threatened by gay men, because they totally know who they are attracted to, and it ain't men. They know they will never be sexually attracted to another man so they are not threatened when they find they like (even love) another man. There may be an emotional bond, but not sexual one. There isn't the chemistry.
It's like that for the totally gay men. They can have a emotional bond with a woman but the chemistry is not there.

That's why I'm exploring the idea of the attraction switching. I guess I should have defined it as a lust pill. It makes straight people lust gay. and a different pill makes gay men lust straight. It cannot create an emotional bond like a love potion, it's about the pheromones and the sexual attraction of a lust potion. Ha!

And some the suggestions create very Distopian ways of using the pills.
Freefall Drift - A sci fi space opera of a starship's mission of stopping the Endless Kings.
freefall_drift at 9:39PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
DAJB
freefall_drift
The current military would go all straight, of course.
Not necessarily…Spartans considered it an advantage for their soldiers to practice homosexuality… Part of the rationale was that, the closer and more intimate their relationship with their colleagues, the harder they would fight for each other. Another part was that they spent years away from their womenfolk, of course!
There's no reason why your fictitious state couldn't adopt the same philosophy.
I agree. I like the idea that they would be better warriors. But given the homophobia of the CURRENT US military, they would shun the idea, regardless if it would be better or not. These are the idiots who kicked out gay Arabic translators during the Invasion of Iraq. Too many fundamentalists in the military.
Graz73 at 10:43AM, June 16, 2009
(offline)
I think this whole thing is pretty unlikely to be more than a cure that gay people are guilted into taking to fit in… BUT you could maybe make a good story/comic about this.

Imagine if the pills got mixed up? Someone thought they were taking asprin and were taking gay pills or something? Or on the other hand, what if somoeone is happy to be gay and someone is sneaking “straighteners” into their food?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
ParkerFarker at 2:55PM, June 19, 2009
(online)
Graz73
I think this whole thing is pretty unlikely to be more than a cure that gay people are guilted into taking to fit in…

yeah this would be a cool story.

But I am still not sold on the whole idea of the drug. A straight man who knows he is attracted to women wouldn't want to be in love with another man so he wouldn't take the drug.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Pineapple at 4:57AM, June 23, 2009
(online)
First off all, I'm going to be honest and say I read the first half and then skipped to the end, so sorry if I repete anything.

I kind of identify as bixsexual, but not strictly as that only includes man/ woman and I'm up for anything. So that brings me to what would happen if the gay/ straight pill was given to someone that was transgender or transsexual? Now it gets tricky.
I wouldn't be able to trust myself around this pill, I'd probably be slipping it in the drinks of my straight friends!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
megan_rose at 10:04AM, June 23, 2009
(online)
Pineapple made me think of something I hadn't before. Where does bisexuality come into this, freefall_drift? The pills seem to take a very black & white perspective of sexuality that just isn't there.

Though I wouldn't think it'd be any more tricky giving a trans person the pills than a cisgendered* person. Sexuality and gender identity, while somewhat entwined, are not the same thing. Trans people can be straight, gay, bi, etc. same as a non-trans person.

*means “not trans”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved