Debate and Discussion

******ing Police...
kyupol at 8:19PM, June 16, 2007
(online)
Linked video of questionable Police actions

God dont these cops have anything better to do? Like track down gangstas, pedophiles, and terrorists?!?

Fucking lazy cops… Fuckin making 50k a year while fucking destroying the lives of people who cannot even make half their income. Fucking cops.

lol. Fucking bullies. Mean fucking good for nothing THUG TRASH!

Why?!? Too scared to fight the Hell's Angels, the Al Quaeda, the Mafia, The cripps and the bloods…… even with all the guns and shit?!? lol Fuckin cops too even scared to take down a lone crazy untrained gunman shooting up his school!!! Even with bullet proof vests, superior numbers, and superior weapons!!!

God. Why the homeless?!? This is unacceptable.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 8:49PM, June 16, 2007
(offline)
…this is exactly why I'm happy to live in japan. the cops aren't as mean here.

but is that really what happens in north america? geez! that's freaking crazy!

also… you must love the word ‘fucking’ :P
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
Hijuda at 9:14PM, June 16, 2007
(offline)
kyupol
Kyupol's post

Heh, I can feel the the teenage Rage Against The Machine induced angst in your post. :D
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
subcultured at 10:14PM, June 16, 2007
(online)
yea and the next time a family member gets stab or your shit gets stolen, you usually go to the cops for help.

like any profession there's always some bad apples, but it's better to have some bad apples than no apples at all.

I respect police officers they help restore order to society even within thier own department (i.e. internal affairs)
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
StaceyMontgomery at 10:49PM, June 16, 2007
(offline)
I live in the northeast US.

I have known lots of police officers - they generally turned out to be awesome people - the kind who made good friends, neighbors, and relatives.

But I've also DEALT with officers (if you see the difference) and I am generally disappointed by their lack of professionalism and personal honor. They're worse in groups - and the bigger the group, the worse they get

Sure, sometime's you have to turn to them - we aren't allowed to compete with them, after all - but when I've been in trouble, ive always had to weigh it out - is it worth calling for police help? will they help me? will they make matters worse? i hope I got right each time.

I would say that, as an *institution*, our police need to be overhauled and reimagined. Sometimes, you have to hit “clear” and start over. It doesnt mean you're a bad artist, it just means its time for some fresh air.

Teddy roosevelt did this once when he was running the NY city police. Unhappy with the force, he just started a new, cleaner, and better one. The old force kept going (there was no way he could shut it down) but it didn't get to hire anymore. It took a generation, essentially, to replace the old force with the new one. But it worked - the new force was much less corrupt and more professional. it changed the police Culture for the better.

Id do that again - and just about everywhere.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
skoolmunkee at 4:22AM, June 17, 2007
(online)
Hey kyupol, this is Debate and Discussion, so please try to use the first post to introduce the topic and debate, and not just to rant about something. Opening things with a pissed-off rant is kind of closer to flame bait than an open discussion about something. We do encourage viewpoints and all, but ‘anger’ probably isn't the way to start things off, it's very ‘closed’. :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
ZeroVX at 5:12AM, June 17, 2007
(online)
Was that in the US? Or Canada?

'Cause if it was in Canada, I now have a new disrespect for my country.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
Phantom Penguin at 7:07AM, June 17, 2007
(offline)
Which police offciers are you talking about when you say 50k a year? Those guys have the life.

In Michigan they don't even have the numbers and the governor just cut 200+ more jobs.

Besides in my opinion cops should be able to do whatever they want to catch you and bring you to justice. Have you ever been to Germany? Word of advice:

DON'T FUCK WITH THE POLIZIE!

You think the big mean cops here in the US are bad? HA! You don't travel much. In germany I looked at a female cop and got their version of a night stick in the back, followed by several more in the legs. Why? Fuck if I know.

In S.Korea the cops will jump on you in packs and beat the ever living shit out of you even if you don't resist.

In China they run your ass over with tanks.

In Russia they pump your area full of nerve gas and charge in shooting anything that moves.

I've said it before, don't bitch because we have better then some other people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
lothar at 9:31AM, June 17, 2007
(online)
Puff_Of_Smoke
…this is exactly why I'm happy to live in japan. the cops aren't as mean here.

hahha , i was just shooting off bottle rockets and roman candle in the street in front of city hall and drinking beer too !!! it's all tottally legal ! try doing that in America with your “freedom” although the Japanese cops will nail you for smoking weed ! unlike the american cops who will just smoke it with you or take it so they can smoke it later !!
i agree with Kyupol, every cop i ever met in america was an asshole , even when i called them cuz of a murder going on in the hood or some shit , they would still act like i'm the criminal !!! fuckers all of em !
cutting up tents ? that's just LOW !!! but i'm not surprised ! i'd like to see those cops faces while some homeless dude is driving a bulldozer through their houses !!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
kyupol at 12:30PM, June 17, 2007
(online)
skoolmunkee
Hey kyupol, this is Debate and Discussion, so please try to use the first post to introduce the topic and debate, and not just to rant about something. Opening things with a pissed-off rant is kind of closer to flame bait than an open discussion about something. We do encourage viewpoints and all, but ‘anger’ probably isn't the way to start things off, it's very ‘closed’. :)

I posted this in the “what the hell” section originally. Somebody moved it without telling me.

If you move topics, pls pm me next time. thanks.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Hawk at 5:19PM, June 17, 2007
(online)
A. That clip is out of context. What in the world is even happening in it? Is there something we're not being told? They could be on private land or in the middle of some place they're not supposed to be. Kyupol, when you post something, tell us what in the world it is.

B. I'm not too impressed with all the blanket statements going on, but that's just par for this forum I guess. "Some cops cut up tents, another cop arrests me for skateboarding on a public sidewalk, so all cops are corrupt and awful." Just make sure nobody brings up the policemen that put their lives on the line for civilians, because that destroys your case.

I was a lifeguard for many years. Every day I enforced rules intended to save people's lives and I was thanked with glares, foul language, and misconduct. I've saved a young boy's life only to be bad-mouthed by their prideful parent. And I'm sure that what I dealt with was only a fraction of what policemen have to put up with. They're hated by the people they protect. Don't get me wrong, there are bad cops, but they're in the minority. And giving you a speeding ticket does not automatically qualify them as a bad cop.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
skoolmunkee at 2:48AM, June 18, 2007
(online)
kyupol
I posted this in the “what the hell” section originally. Somebody moved it without telling me.

If you move topics, pls pm me next time. thanks.
I didn't know it had been moved, so sorry. :) I dunno who moved it though. We usually do tell the person. I do agree with Hawk that posting out-of-context video clips probably isn't a good practice in general though.

I don't have anything to add to this discussion really except that, in my experience, the people who hate the police are the ones who want to do illegal things and tend to get caught at it. (Or who only hear police horror stories or watch police video clips out of context and let themselves get all angry about it in an uninformed way.) The cop-hating mentality seems very sour grapes to me. It's very rare that I've known someone or heard a story where the anti-police stuff was justified.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
lothar at 7:44PM, June 18, 2007
(online)
for all you people defending the police on this -
whatever context this was in or taken out of is irrelevant !!!
what the police are doing here is Unconstitutional and illegall !! they are destroying citizens property !
is this any differant than if a cop comes to your house because of a noise complaint and proceeds to smash your stereo to bits ! or if you get pulled over for speeding and the copp shoots out your tires ! ???
the only reason they can get away with slashing up these peoples tents is because they are Homeless !! they are treating them like sub-humans or non-people !! that is what's Wrong with the police !! for the most part the police have this idea about “levels” they treat everybody different depending on various factors (race, wealth, location)
you people that say most of the cops you have encountered were “nice” thats because you prolly live in a wealthy neighborhood , or you're white !!! where i grew up the cops were almost always Assholes !

think about it , most anybody that decides to go be a cop prolly has some power/control issues ! they just want to have power over somebody else ! when i see these cops destroying other peoples property just because they Can , and get away with it , reminds me of some elementary school bully beating up on the weaker quieter kids , just because nobody cares what happens to those weak kids !!!!
Hawk at 8:08PM, June 18, 2007
(online)
lothar
for all you people defending the police on this -
whatever context this was in or taken out of is irrelevant !!!

Context is NEVER irrelevant.

lothar
think about it , most anybody that decides to go be a cop prolly has some power/control issues ! they just want to have power over somebody else !

Most anybody who hates cops is a delinquent with authority issues. See, I can make blanket statements too. It doesn't make them correct.
ZeroVX at 4:09AM, June 19, 2007
(online)
The only delusion I would have that would lead me to becoming a cop would be the delusion of me being a hero.

Sure, officers can be heroes, but it's not that likely to happen.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
lothar at 10:43AM, June 19, 2007
(online)
Hawk
Context is NEVER irrelevant.

ok Hawk , so in WHAT context IS it OK for the police to seize your private property and destroy it on the spot ???
i'm talking about LEGAL property here , not drugs or fireworks , and as far as i know tent possesion is legal in most states !
Hawk at 12:25PM, June 19, 2007
(online)
lothar
ok Hawk , so in WHAT context IS it OK for the police to seize your private property and destroy it on the spot ???
i'm talking about LEGAL property here , not drugs or fireworks , and as far as i know tent possesion is legal in most states !

But you see, right there you've already provided a context. In your context, the property is not illegal.

A context in which this situation WOULD be okay is if the police were slashing open the tents because bags of cocaine were hidden between layers of the lining. Of course, that's no more confirmed than any other story.

Don't get me wrong, those cops may very well be doing something bad, but until somebody provides an actual news story about what happened it's silly to just look at the video clip and think all cops are corrupt.
Aurora Moon at 2:13PM, June 19, 2007
(offline)
Hawk
lothar

But you see, right there you've already provided a context. In your context, the property is not illegal.

A context in which this situation WOULD be okay is if the police were slashing open the tents because bags of cocaine were hidden between layers of the lining. Of course, that's no more confirmed than any other story.

Don't get me wrong, those cops may very well be doing something bad, but until somebody provides an actual news story about what happened it's silly to just look at the video clip and think all cops are corrupt.

I would have to agree with Hawk. If the cops have resasonable supicion to think that you may be doing something illegal, they have to do everything possible and reasonable to bust you on it.
Even if it turns out that they might be wrong in some cases.

After all, would you rather that an cop who noticed an supicious person doesn't act upon checking out the supicious person for fear that he might be wrong?
Espeically if that supicous person turned out to be the one who would murder your loved ones or something?

it's better to be wrong a few times if it means that you can keep criminals off the streets, making everyone safer.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Hijuda at 8:36PM, June 19, 2007
(offline)
While I do agree with Hawk on the matter, here's the description for the video-

Police officers with box cutters showed up where St. Pete's tent city residents had moved to and set up. They slashed their tents to the ground as residents watched in shock. Now one homeless group is moving to label St. Petersburg as the ‘meanest city in the nation.’ Video by Tina May.

And the apparent website for this movement:

http://stpeteforpeace.org/tentcity.html

There very well could be more to this, but it's 11:30 and I'm going to bed.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
lothar at 5:06AM, June 20, 2007
(online)
Hawk
A context in which this situation WOULD be okay is if the police were slashing open the tents because bags of cocaine were hidden between layers of the lining.

NO , i think in that case they would still have to confiscate the tents untill they could determine if there was anything hudden in them ! not just hack them apart in the street like hired thugs ,That is what bothers me about these images , the police are behaving like a military force in a foreign country , there is no need or excuse for this kind of action , it is pretty obvious they are just destroying these peoples homes just to get them to move on to another town ! that just compounds the problem !
Anyway !!!
Kohdok at 2:52PM, June 20, 2007
(online)
Aurora Moon
After all, would you rather that an cop who noticed an supicious person doesn't act upon checking out the supicious person for fear that he might be wrong?
Espeically if that supicous person turned out to be the one who would murder your loved ones or something?

True, and if that sort of thing happened the police would get yelled at and bad-mouthed again.

Also, You guys need to quite badmouthing the police. According to this article it was at the city's request. The police were just following orders. I admit it is a cruel way of doing it, but it wasn't the police's idea. If you want to talk bad about someone, talk about the city council not having enough room for the homeless. The video and website are complaining about the actions of the city of St. petersberg, hence why it's called “St. Pete for peace”.

And for those of you who said “Why didn't they just tell the homeless to leave?” Who's to say that they didn't? It probably didn't work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
Cthulhu at 6:07AM, June 21, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
Russia they pump your area full of nerve gas and charge in shooting anything that moves.

Which is exactly why I've never broken the law, and gotten caught in my whole life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:56AM
lothar at 8:41AM, June 21, 2007
(online)
“Quit badmouthing the police” ???
“..just following orders” ???

i think you people need to stop defending these cops !!! they are a tool of government oppression !!!
have you ever considered that you have in fact been conditioned to accept this kind of crap from those who are paid by your taxes to serve and protect YOU , Because you have been BRAINWASHED by the media to believe that they are some sort of Heros ? FALLACY !!!!
Hijuda at 9:52AM, June 21, 2007
(offline)
lothar

i think you people need to stop defending these cops !!! they are a tool of government oppression !!!
have you ever considered that you have in fact been conditioned to accept this kind of crap from those who are paid by your taxes to serve and protect YOU , Because you have been BRAINWASHED by the media to believe that they are some sort of Heros ? FALLACY !!!!

CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!

You should write dystopian fiction. :D
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
Kohdok at 12:42PM, June 21, 2007
(online)
lothar

Hey, I know that the police suck. One came to my house and acted like a total asshole for no apparent reason. All I was asking for was that the guy who claimed to be from the city and wanted to get into my backyard to get at the manhole was legitimate, and this cop comes up and flashes his badge and starts badmouthing me. I'm not a fan of cops, either, but you seem to enjoy placing an awful lot of blame on them, rather than the ones who told them to do it in the first place. You call them “tools”, but blaming the tool doesn't really have the same effect as blaming the hand that wields it.

I can see that this tool is being abused, but it doesn't do much good to tell the police to stop when the higher-ups are the ones pulling the strings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
ZeroVX at 12:47PM, June 21, 2007
(online)
lothar

Whoa! Dude, I love V for Vendetta as much as the next guy(actually, more than), but even I draw the line when necessary!

I mean, how is America an oppressive……

Oh….riiiiiiiiight. Bush.

V for Vendetta, V.
skoolmunkee at 2:28PM, June 21, 2007
(online)
Simmer down y'all. :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
lothar at 7:06PM, June 21, 2007
(online)
Hijuda
You should write dystopian fiction. :D

it's not Fiction Anymore !
iagojester at 6:10AM, June 22, 2007
(online)
Wow…
What ~is~ with you people and throwing around stereotypes?
You do realize cops are human beings, and with the title of such, one has a variety of personalities, qualities and merits?

Honestly, if I were to lay blanket statements about forum users it wouls say, “Short sitghted and stupid.” But then I didn't account for half of your out there, did I?
How about web-comic artists? Mostly immature blokes with no lives who read too much manga and thought they could do it too. …but already I can think of 10 people who don't fit that description either.

For the most part, cops do their jobs. They try to protect us from ourselves. If you think a cop is a jerk for giving you a speeding ticket- you've got your priorities out of whack.

And your video? As for context, they are probably looking for drugs. Cops don't usually start cutting up tents like that unless they've got a reason. Drugs are such a one. And homeless people tend to be easy targets for such busts because they live on public property and one needs no warrent to search them.

Someone said cops in Japan are nice and decent people. Are you nuts? Cops in Japan are glorified crossing gaurds only because there's nothing for them to do here! Have you ever seen how most cops pull over cars in Japan? They stand on the side of the street and wave them down. Do you think that would work in the US? I think not. Cops in the US act the way they do people of the people they deal with.

I seriously don't know why I even have to be saying these things. I just hope someday you people learn to think before opening your yaps.

~*~Fated Feather~*~
Pirates, art history, and time travel- things could get messy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
maritalbliss at 9:27PM, June 22, 2007
(offline)
I come in contact with the homeless population of Dallas often, ‘cause I occasssionally work in the West End with Ethan (with the horses) anyway, most of them would just as soon cut yout throat and steal your shoes than contribute in any way to society. If cops didn’t break up “shanty” towns, the “taxpayers” would be screechin' to the heavens for them to do so.

There are good cops, there are power hungry uber a-hole cops.
There are good Blockbuster employees, there are power hungry uber a-holey Blockbuster employees. (Cops get their orders from somewhere, I don't think they just decided to destroy homeless haven all by themselves.)

True, it seems the police in this situation went a bit overboard, I was going to say it looked like they were searching for something, maybe drugs…But according to the info. I could find, this happened in St. Petersberg (where a number of “questionable cop” decisions have been made lately. ) The mayor said the “tent town” was a fire risk and in hindsight, they shouldn't have done this and they will not do so again. (Well, yeah…you already ripped ‘em up and took their stuff, they’re homeless, should take a while to rebuild.) True, two of the homeless population had been murdered around tent city earlier in the week and I can't blame them for tossing it.

Yeah, they should have replaced the tents and I'm sure they are lamenting that fact, no one expects a homeless chick to have the wherewithall to film it. Now I read that the tents (which are donated by helpful “groups” ) come with two disposable cell-phones and a disposable video camera. Enable much?

Theses “cops” could die any day, I don't care if they trash some homeless tents. I think I'm jaded by my own dealings with “the homeless.” I'm not saying, they have no rights or anything…But, ummm…They are homeless and if murders are happening, I bet the tossing of “tent city” sucked so bad, they they will hesitate a second longer before knifing their fellow homeless man in the neck…Nawww, they'll get their tents back from do-gooding do-gooders.

Survival of the fittest???
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved