Networking & Community Projects*

*Seeking Quality Artist and Inker for Apocalyptic Sword Fiction*
Brains at 7:05PM, April 29, 2009
(online)
Hey everybody,

I'm looking for a quality penciller and/or inker to partner with on a limited series set in a dystopian future. The story is fast-paced and dense with plenty of interesting twists. This is a non-paying project but I'm very willing to surrender as much creative control as the artist desires.

PM me your email or post here for a copy of the first full 22 page script.

Colorist is already on board.

Thanks - Brains
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
slackmaster at 9:05AM, April 30, 2009
(offline)
rigt now i am doing something els. BUT i can help in june if you can whagt that long.

i suck at spelling. if any inking invise please late me know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
Brains at 9:52AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Cool. If nobody else is on board once you're free then we can exchange samples at that point. Just let me know when you're ready.
Brains at 1:42PM, May 1, 2009
(online)
bump
soulcelshade at 10:11PM, May 1, 2009
(offline)
BUMP. I can't do it this just seemed like fun.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
skoolmunkee at 9:58AM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
I really don't understand why so many people think ‘quality’ artists are happy to freely donate their time and skill for other people's projects. What kind of quality do you think you're going to get out of a stranger who will work free?

They can have as much creative freedom as they like doing their own stuff. :/

What's in it for the artist? Besides ‘creative control’ - is this a pitch to a company where the artist could at least see some kind of investment in the hundreds of hours they'd be putting into a 22-page project?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Custard Trout at 11:13AM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
skoolmunkee

Yeah, but maybe an artist who isn't a good writer would interested. Or they could be in between projects, or simply have nothing better to do.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
skoolmunkee at 1:42PM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
Yeah, you're right. I don't need to manage this place, if people are or aren't interested they will or won't sign up. I'm just a bit tetchy after someone just asked me for a bunch of free art. Sorry dude :[
IT'S OLD BATMAN
soulcelshade at 1:46PM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
Well I'm just too lazy to look up the word dystopian. Apocalyptic? Retro futuristic? Everything is suspiciously perfect? Nothing works? I don't get it. It's not even in my Mozilla dictionary.

EDIT: Wiki tells me it's the anti-utopia. Huh. Seems a little hard to draw for freelance artists.
Brains at 7:37PM, May 2, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
I really don't understand why so many people think ‘quality’ artists are happy to freely donate their time and skill for other people's projects. What kind of quality do you think you're going to get out of a stranger who will work free?

What's in it for the artist? Besides ‘creative control’ - is this a pitch to a company where the artist could at least see some kind of investment in the hundreds of hours they'd be putting into a 22-page project?

Hey :D

I obviously don't think people will line up to work on a webcomic for free. However, my cheery friend, if an artist is looking to partner up on a project in order to work on their skills and try to produce something cool at the same time, they can check out the script. Stranger things have happened.

Not a 22 page project. Limited series with 22 page chapters. And of course they would get equal investment if we decided to make it into a pitch. That goes along with creative control.
Brains at 7:41PM, May 2, 2009
(online)
flapjack1995
Well I'm just too lazy to look up the word dystopian. Apocalyptic? Retro futuristic? Everything is suspiciously perfect? Nothing works? I don't get it. It's not even in my Mozilla dictionary.

EDIT: Wiki tells me it's the anti-utopia. Huh. Seems a little hard to draw for freelance artists.

Yep the opposite of utopia. I do think it will be challenging work.
Brains at 7:46PM, May 2, 2009
(online)
By the way, skool, I've looked into some advice about how best to attract a level partner in this type of thing. One of the recurring themes seems to be to avoid promising some profitable venture where we'll make tons of money. It seems to be considered newbish and off-putting most of the time.

It's interesting to get a different opinion though.
Brains at 8:10PM, May 3, 2009
(online)
Alright we are good on pencils. Any inkers that may be interested can still shoot me a PM.
skoolmunkee at 3:08AM, May 4, 2009
(offline)
Brains
By the way, skool, I've looked into some advice about how best to attract a level partner in this type of thing. One of the recurring themes seems to be to avoid promising some profitable venture where we'll make tons of money. It seems to be considered newbish and off-putting most of the time.

It's interesting to get a different opinion though.

Well, I wasn't saying that you should make a bunch of big promises or be dishonest. But you don't actually say what the project is for; whether it is for a specific site, will be posted online at all, is a submission to printing companies, etc. The more information like that you can share with potential partners the better, since they'll know what will be happening with their work and what potentially they might gain from it. Something like that might interested them more than they would have been otherwise.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
soulcelshade at 2:46PM, May 4, 2009
(offline)
I'm still learning, but this could be good practice. Guess I'll ink.
Brains at 3:06PM, May 4, 2009
(online)
flapjack1995

We might be going inkless now. We're going to see how the colorist looks on some of the pencils for character design and make a decision from there. I'll post what we're doing once we figure it out.
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:51PM, May 4, 2009
(offline)
Brains
flapjack1995

We might be going inkless now. We're going to see how the colorist looks on some of the pencils for character design and make a decision from there. I'll post what we're doing once we figure it out.

I agree with Skool. You should most definitely post if you're either going to be posting it here, somewhere else on the internet, or submitting it to a company. Would be very helpful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Brains at 6:13PM, May 4, 2009
(online)
Ryuthehedgewolf
Brains
flapjack1995

I agree with Skool. You should most definitely post if you're either going to be posting it here, somewhere else on the internet, or submitting it to a company. Would be very helpful.

Ok. Thought that posting this thread on Drunk Duck would make it obvious that the comic will be on this site. Apparently not.

But yeah it'll be here guys.
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:18PM, May 5, 2009
(offline)
Brains
Ryuthehedgewolf
Brains
flapjack1995

Ok. Thought that posting this thread on Drunk Duck would make it obvious that the comic will be on this site. Apparently not.

But yeah it'll be here guys.

Hahaha. You'd be surprised.
I think I've seen like, at least 3 threads here, that said they were going to host on a seperate site.

But thanks for specifying. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon