Media Megaforum

10 bucks that "Cowboys and Alliens" is about to hit the top 10 list again.
Product Placement at 9:53AM, Nov. 21, 2010
(online)
They just made a trailer for the upcoming movie.

Looks to me that the director is taking it in a different direction compared to the original comic.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
ozoneocean at 11:29AM, Nov. 21, 2010
(online)
LOL, yeah, very different!
Mind you, the comic was pretty generic. The plot that is.

They've got some big names there. You see, Plat wasn't all just talk!

Still, a Pinky TA movie would blow that thing into orbit. people need to make a Pinky TA movie!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Chernobog at 5:12PM, Nov. 21, 2010
(offline)
Huh, some big names in there!
I didn't read the original, but a large part of me does rather hope this does well for a variety of reasons.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
DAJB at 11:19PM, Nov. 21, 2010
(online)
Not to go too far off topic, but does anyone know if Platinum has any plans to revive C&A2?

C&A was an okay romp, but I always thought C&A2 showed far more promise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
ozoneocean at 11:48PM, Nov. 21, 2010
(online)
DAJB
Not to go too far off topic, but does anyone know if Platinum has any plans to revive C&A2?
No idea… I only read the first one because I got it as a free comic from Plat ^^

What generally happens with movies and their derivative works, don't people generally try and cash in all at once on the big movie release?
By that logic, you'd think they'd try and push all the series on the public when the movie comes out, including the second one… and maybe games and stuff? Haha, I've no idea.

That games thing has promise though… One of our DD people here (Tom Carroll) was heavily involved in Red Dead Redemption (he's with Rockstar games these days) and he's also worked a lot with Platinum in the past.
Heh, just idle speculation.

Product Placement at 6:40AM, Nov. 22, 2010
(online)
Seeing as that they're changing the storyline of the original story, I'd question if they're able to adapt the story of the second chapter, without significantly altering that storyline as well.

I suspect this being a one movie deal.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 7:12AM, Nov. 22, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
Seeing as that they're changing the storyline of the original story, I'd question if they're able to adapt the story of the second chapter, without significantly altering that storyline as well.

I suspect this being a one movie deal.
If it take off I'm sure they'll do more. :)

But not many movies ever do really, so it's statistically unlikely.

bravo1102 at 6:07PM, Nov. 22, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
LOL, yeah, very different!
Mind you, the comic was pretty generic. The plot that is.

They've got some big names there. You see, Plat wasn't all just talk!

Still, a Pinky TA movie would blow that thing into orbit. people need to make a Pinky TA movie!

That looks good.

As for you oz, write a script. I'm sure Peter Jackson would give it a look because of all the cool retro military stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
blindsk at 12:54AM, Nov. 23, 2010
(online)
Oh wow. I'm simply in awe over this. I never actually heard about this particular comic until now, but seriously, this is absolutely amazing. Okay, so I did a little research, and I can't believe a project so close to DD sparked interest of big producers as well as actors.

This is just inspiring! I'm getting nerd chills over this!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
ozoneocean at 1:42AM, Nov. 23, 2010
(online)
bravo1102
As for you oz, write a script. I'm sure Peter Jackson would give it a look because of all the cool retro military stuff.
Hahaha, Jackson? Nooo… Quentin Tarintino! Yeah!!! That's the dude I need ^^
He has a nice sense of the absurd and a funky taste in things.

blindsk
Oh wow. I'm simply in awe over this. I never actually heard about this particular comic until now, but seriously, this is absolutely amazing. Okay, so I did a little research, and I can't believe a project so close to DD sparked interest of big producers as well as actors.
Not quite as surprising as you might think…

The chief guy behind Platinum studios, Scott Rosenberg, had a LOT to do with Men In Black. I don't know what, but I know that Platinum always claimed it as one of their really big successes.
Anyway, Plat's always been about getting creative projects under-way in Hollywood, getting buzz around ideas, blah blah…
Scott was pretty visionary seeing that Webcomics had a part to play in the future of the entertainment media landscape, so he bought DD from Dylan Squires, our independent founder.

Later on you had other big business moves into this sort of thing, Zuda being a notable example, but that was well after Plat bought DD.

Anyway, Plat thought they could use DD to grow some ground roots buzz around some of the projects they had simmering- Specifically Cowboys and Aliens.
It's had movie aspirations since before it was ever on DD. And you can see the thematic connection with Men in Black? ^^

Genejoke at 5:02AM, Nov. 23, 2010
(online)
Someone
Hahaha, Jackson? Nooo… Quentin Tarintino! Yeah!!! That's the dude I need ^^
He has a nice sense of the absurd and a funky taste in things.

I can see it now, a cool opening a bit of witty dialogue and some ass shots then two hours of people talking “cool!” and spouting bollocks ad tedium before a possibly cool ending.

No what you really need is Tarantino AND Robert Rodriguez.

Could you imagine a zack snyder doing a shades film?
or
tim burton doing a film of The ends?
or
Paul ws anderson doing a malefic movie?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Abt_Nihil at 9:54AM, Nov. 23, 2010
(online)
Genejoke
Sadly, I can. I mean, he did direct Watchmen, and I compare Shades to Watchmen all the time! :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
DAJB at 11:45PM, Nov. 23, 2010
(online)
Abt_Nihil
Genejoke
Sadly, I can. I mean, he did direct Watchmen, and I compare Shades to Watchmen all the time! :D
Heh. I may be in a minority of one but I actually liked Snyder's Watchmen, so I'd be up for it!

Someone get his people on the phone!
Genejoke at 12:30AM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
I quite liked it, never a big fan of the comic anyway. I like most of his work, I mean he did on of the best remakes ever with dawn of the dead.
Abt_Nihil at 3:58AM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
DAJB
I may be in a minority of one but I actually liked Snyder's Watchmen, so I'd be up for it!
Let me rephrase that: I'd rather see a Zack Snyder Shades than none at all, but I could think of a lot of directors I'd prefer :-)
Let's face it, the most important aspect of a Shades movie would be the acting. Snyder is all about the visuals. Watchmen had the benefit of some great actors (most notably the ones playing Rorschach, the Comedian, and Doc Manhattan), but it was pretty clear to me his emphasis was on making them look right. (There were also a bunch of mediocre actors in Watchmen.) All in all, I also “mildly liked” Watchmen, I just wish I could have loved it ^_^

Genejoke
I quite liked it, never a big fan of the comic anyway. I like most of his work, I mean he did on of the best remakes ever with dawn of the dead.
Well, it is a controversial topic. I don't hate him, it's just that his obvious emphasis on style-over-substance and some of his visual quirks kind of annoy me. For instance, his signature use of using slow-mo and speed-ups during action scenes is neither that original, nor does it look as good to me as Snyder obviously thinks it does.
Also, I won't even start comparing the movie to the comic. A few days ago, I read a comment on the latest Harry Potter movie, comparing its (snail) pacing to 2001 - A Space Odyssey. Comparisons like that aren't good for my health. It's okay to like the Watchmen movie better than the comic, but it should be clear that the comic was some sort of historic milestone with wide-reaching repercussions, while the movie wasn't significant at all. I'll leave it to you to adapt this comment to the Harry Potter/2001 comparison :P
ozoneocean at 4:42AM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
Abt_Nihil
Zack Snyder, Shades etc…
My memory isn't great, but I'm pretty sure I recall DAJB saying that the scene with Legolass shieldsurfing while shooting orcs with lots of arrows with perfect accuracy (in Lord of the Rings 2) was pretty cool…

…So while he's a great comicer and an extremely treasured member of DD, his tastes in popular culture are at variance with my own and therefore highly suspect! >:[

…assuming my memory is accurate, which is not always the case.

Genejoke at 5:11AM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
Someone
I'll leave it to you to adapt this comment to the Harry Potter/2001 comparison :P

It is a fair comparison, both are based on literary masterpieces and both are oscar worth films. Some people are just too impatient.

Okay I lied.

I haven't seen the new harry potter. My wife loved it though.
2001 great film though. I have read all the harry potters and they are very good books for what they are and I wouldn't compare them to anything by arthur c clarke not on grounds of them being a good read but they are like chalk and cheese and I like both.
Zack Snyder… I enjoy his films simple as that but I do not actually disagree with you on any points there. Difference between enjoying something and being in awe of it.
The problem with the watchmen comic(for me) is that is that I read it with great expectations and a long time after it was initially printed. It was good but I never got that excited by it.

Also the directors I mentioned were deliberately mainstream choices.
Abt_Nihil at 8:26AM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
OZ: Haha! Yeah, DAJB is a living, breathing contradiction. (Assuming he's not an undead, zombie contradiction!) Not that I found the scene you mentioned too uncool either ;-) But LOTR is on a whole other level of cool than Zack Snyder, IMHO.

Genejoke: Okay, we completely agree on all points (except that I do appreciate Watchmen and think it pretty much lives up to the hype - not that it's my favorite comic of all time or anything, but I think it is extremely well made). Me and your wife, however… ^_^
blindsk at 6:27PM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Not quite as surprising as you might think…

The chief guy behind Platinum studios, Scott Rosenberg, had a LOT to do with Men In Black. I don't know what, but I know that Platinum always claimed it as one of their really big successes.
Anyway, Plat's always been about getting creative projects under-way in Hollywood, getting buzz around ideas, blah blah…
Scott was pretty visionary seeing that Webcomics had a part to play in the future of the entertainment media landscape, so he bought DD from Dylan Squires, our independent founder.

Hm…well, even so, the implications of this project are nice. Obviously some very deserving people around here would easily be able to conjure up a worthy script for a movie, so let's hope this is a big step in that direction.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
DAJB at 11:45PM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
…So tastes in popular culture are at variance with my own and therefore highly suspect! >:[
Heh. I shall take that as a compliment!
;-)
Hawk at 11:41AM, Nov. 25, 2010
(online)
You know, all this discussion reminds me of Hero by Night. When they said THAT would become a movie, I assumed it was all talk. So when Cowboys and Aliens movie talks arose, I assumed the same and thought we would never see. I have to admit, I'm astounded at how wrong I am on this one, especially with the long list of big names involved.

But I've never read the comic, so I'm not sure what to expect. I suppose I could always still read it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Faliat at 2:28PM, Nov. 25, 2010
(online)
I'm concerned about the movie bringing more members to the site wanting to create their “awesome” comics just so they can get a movie deal.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
ozoneocean at 8:47PM, Nov. 25, 2010
(online)
Faliat
I'm concerned about the movie bringing more members to the site wanting to create their “awesome” comics just so they can get a movie deal.
More people coming here means more ad revenue, which makes the site more valuable :)

Back when plat first bought us we had a TONNE of people coming here expecting to be picked up by a big publishing company. It was nice to have new people but sad when all they'd do was spam the forums with ads for their comic and leave blank author notes on their comic pages- or else use them to talk about how great their work was, and if they responded to comments on their stuff they'd tend to be extremely patronising to their audiences.

Genejoke at 11:24PM, Nov. 25, 2010
(online)
Surely for that tonne of people coming aboard for that reason a few stuck around and were actually okay….
ozoneocean at 3:17AM, Nov. 26, 2010
(online)
Genejoke
Surely for that tonne of people coming aboard for that reason a few stuck around and were actually okay….
ofcourse. Goes without saying. :)

Faliat at 10:04AM, Nov. 27, 2010
(online)
Have you guys SEEN what DeviantArt is like recently?

It's popular, but there's no soul to the place… It's undead!

Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Product Placement at 5:24PM, Nov. 27, 2010
(online)
Hawk
You know, all this discussion reminds me of Hero by Night. When they said THAT would become a movie, I assumed it was all talk.
Really? The stuff I heard was that they were trying to turn it into a show.

But all in all, I was very sad to see the author have a fall out with Platinum and have the whole project collapse. The story was super promising, hinting all kinds of good upcoming plot points.

And the last chapter ended on a damn cliffhanger ><
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
meemjar at 2:10PM, Nov. 28, 2010
(offline)
I personally want to see a movie of The Dragon fists of Smorty Smythe.
With Vin Diesel as Smorty.
Hm, maybe he's too tall.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
Genejoke at 2:42PM, Nov. 28, 2010
(online)
they could do it like they did with the LOTR trilogy…
Faliat at 3:36PM, Nov. 28, 2010
(online)
If somebody tried making a movie from my main projects they'll have their work cut out for them.

Especially since the completed main pages aren't up yet.

It frustrates me more to say that than it is for others to read it again and again… Trust me!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved