Media Megaforum

10 bucks that "Cowboys and Alliens" is about to hit the top 10 list again.
ozoneocean at 2:17AM, Nov. 29, 2010
(online)
LOL!

Lookit us, all imagining our own stuff as big Hollywood movies ^___^

Truth be told, Pinky TA would make a shit movie as it is, unless it had a major rewrite so it just included the coolest bits like Pinky herself, the mechs, and a couple of the fights and battles, all adapted to a tighter, better written story.

And that's what's happened with Cowboys and Aliens- they've kept the broad concept but made a totally new and very different story for it. If they made the comic as it originally was into a movie that would've sucked balls.
(it wasn't a bad comic, it just would've made a very generic movie)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
ComicsCodeRed at 12:22PM, Jan. 31, 2011
(offline)
DAJB
Abt_Nihil
Genejoke
Could you imagine a zack snyder doing a shades film?
Sadly, I can. I mean, he did direct Watchmen, and I compare Shades to Watchmen all the time! :D
Heh. I may be in a minority of one but I actually liked Snyder's Watchmen, so I'd be up for it!

Someone get his people on the phone!

I was a fan of Snyder's Watchmen as well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
Faliat at 8:57PM, Jan. 31, 2011
(online)
My dad's a hard guy to please when it comes to movies. And he liked Watchmen despite being a die hard hater of the whimsical and doesn't like anything that deviates even slightly from the path of plausability. Especially what he deems to be “Superhero Movies”.

I've already stated my dad's fandom of Star Wars. Or as I have taken to calling it, “Lasersword Kendo Wizards”. The Force is LESS logical than Dr. Manhattan or even Iron Man… Which my dad also liked. Hell, my mum even liked that movie.
Both movies were good. Even though the second one obviously borrowed heavily from Atlas Shrugged and the ending annoys me with the unmentioned deaths caused by exploding robots all over the city.

Anyway, I enjoyed the Watchmen movie too.

300 on the other hand…

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
lefarce at 3:15PM, Feb. 1, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
LOL, yeah, very different!
Mind you, the comic was pretty generic. The plot that is.

They've got some big names there. You see, Plat wasn't all just talk!

Still, a Pinky TA movie would blow that thing into orbit. people need to make a Pinky TA movie!

The plot was very generic because it basically had to be. Platinum had no intentions of making a good comic out of the Cowboys & Aliens idea. It was just to appease some dumb loophole in a contract to create a film based on a very 90's concept of “cool thing vs cool thing”.

It's a pretty interesting read if you ever bother to look up the production history. The best part was how the comic was essentially a massive failure. Hey! Kinda like Platinums acquisition of DrunkDuck!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
ozoneocean at 8:25PM, Feb. 1, 2011
(online)
lefarce
It's a pretty interesting read if you ever bother to look up the production history. The best part was how the comic was essentially a massive failure. Hey! Kinda like Platinums acquisition of DrunkDuck!
Blah blah. We all know how you feel about Plat and we all know there's a big mob of anti-fanbois out there who love to interpret everything that company ever did or will ever do as products of the basesd, vilest perfidy that ever existed.

A story you already know the ending to is NOT an “interesting read”.

lefarce at 8:31PM, Feb. 1, 2011
(online)
You should care because this movie is the end result of everything that happened on DrunkDuck. The primary reason they even purchased this site was to use as a marketing tool for their work, and it so happens their work existed as a means to sell this movie.

All those bugs, all the complaints, all the rage about trophies and features that never were has lead to this. It better be good.

EDIT: Seriously though, are you insane? A story can still be interesting if you know the ending.

i know travis bickle snaps at the end of taxi driver and shoots some guys/gets shot.

guess i better never watch that movie again

its ruined now

not interesting at all

ozoneocean at 9:10PM, Feb. 1, 2011
(online)
You're not interesting! :gem:

That is a joke BTW.

Yes, we knew they wanted to use DD for marketing. But it was also one of the very first big corporate commitments to webcomics, so it was quite important for that. ^_^
Before Plat's buyout of DD all you had were webcomics that crossed over themselves or industry types who just mirrored their stuff online. DD and Plat marked the first real crossover.

lefarce at 9:30PM, Feb. 1, 2011
(online)
Yeah I won't argue the benefit there, but the changes DD's actual structure went through continue to irritate. I don't think you can blame anyone for having a bit of resentment for how the site has turned out.

That isn't where I'm trying to steer this conversation though.

My point is that the history behind the film is a good read for anyone who wants to see how these things tend to work out (as far as comics becoming films), and for anyone curious about how it plays into DD's recent history.

I hope this movie does well, and considering the talent behind it I have no reason to believe it won't. And yeah, I don't like Platinum as an entity (I like a lot of the people who worked there though, and Scott got Men in Black off the ground for crissake so I could never be mad with him) so my bias probably sold it as a story about failure. Obviously the movie is getting made, so it isn't.

mlai at 9:44PM, Feb. 1, 2011
(online)
On 1 hand, what LeFarce says is true and makes sense. OTOH, it's not as if Plat started charging us money or something as soon as it took over. Back when it was owned/ran by 1 individual, DD was free. And buggy due to Voltes' amateur coding. When Plat took over, it was still free. And still buggy due to Voltes' amateur coding.

So… Plat had ulterior motives as a corporation. But while it never dumped investment $$$ into the plebs populating DD, it never tried to screw us over either.

Not like those fugly Scouts Honor ads that are still defacing the front page!

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Product Placement at 12:22PM, Feb. 2, 2011
(online)
mlai
Not like those fugly Scouts Honor ads that are still defacing the front page!
Oh hey! That made me just realize! I'm no longer seeing ads on this site! It used to be that I never saw any ads at all (despite not having an ad blocker) until after Wowio took over. I always figured that they must have fixed something in the site so that the ads would transfer over to my service provider.

But now they're gone again. I'm guessing it's been like that since the server move but I didn't really notice it until now.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Atom Apple at 4:01PM, Feb. 7, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Still, a Pinky TA movie would blow that thing into orbit. people need to make a Pinky TA movie!
LeFarce movie
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Faliat at 5:43PM, Feb. 7, 2011
(online)
I'm not imagining what my comics would be like as movies…

I'm imagining the “God Hates Fags” protests outside showings and the crazed mothers saying the movies inspired their 14 year olds to pull out their top incisors and their 19 year olds to bathe in mud, snipe at cars and kick children.

*Sigh* I really need to stop talking about stuff that doesn't exist on the site yet…

Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
ozoneocean at 7:29PM, Feb. 7, 2011
(online)
Atom Apple
ozoneocean
LeFarce movie
I imagine something similar to Jackass. Something very similar.
Faliat

I'm imagining the “God Hates Fags” protests outside showings and the crazed mothers saying the movies inspired their 14 year olds to pull out their top incisors and their 19 year olds to bathe in mud, snipe at cars and kick children.
So basically a realistic depiction of modern life in the UK? :)
Ken Loach to direct!

Faliat at 2:03PM, Feb. 10, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Faliat

So basically a realistic depiction of modern life in the UK? :)
Ken Loach to direct!
Nope! All reflections of modern British culture are to compare the societal changes to. Barf bags in museums, mistranslated English, heavy anachronisms in fictional depictions like Victorian gentlemen saying “Innit” while riding Raleigh Choppers and using mp3 players…

Y'know! To combat the overall serious tone and create contrast!

Don't think Loach's style would fit, sadly. I'd say the styles of either Guillermo del Toro, David Cronenberg or Park Chan-Wook would probably work better. Then again, maybe Lynch would be better with the more social aspects of the comics? I haven't watched very many of his works in comparison to the other three names so I will have to at some point in the near future. If I don't my dad will probably demand it.

The less than theoretical movies probably wouldn't be live action anyway. Not only would it be damn hard to portray the various ethnic traits of the characters, but children are put into roles that could scare and/or traumatise real child actors or actresses.
I can't stress enough how damn vicious the universe and some of the main characters can be.

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Doodstormer at 11:15PM, Feb. 10, 2011
(online)
Knowing my luck I'd get stuck with Uwe Boll.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
ozoneocean at 2:19AM, Feb. 11, 2011
(online)
Doodstormer
Knowing my luck I'd get stuck with Uwe Boll.
With Michael Bey and George Lucas as second and third unit directors.

It will be an epic masterpiece!

Genejoke at 3:11AM, Feb. 11, 2011
(online)
Michael by s a second unit directer probably wouldn't be too bad. He can direct he just mistakes explosions and sunsets for drama.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Armagedon at 8:55PM, March 22, 2011
(online)
Any movie directed by michael bay should always be co directed by someone who cares about story lol.

Anyways, a shadowjacked movie would make a better tv cartoon…though I wonder what christopher nolan could do with it…..lol.

I also vote nolan to direct the lefarce movie…. we need some darkness to lead up to the “winning”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved