Media Megaforum

1408, a true horror movie
PhatScurl at 9:47AM, June 29, 2007
(offline)
Occasionally, i just get in moods where i like to spook myself. Its just sometimes fun to be scared, and that's why i love horror movies, but the one's i watch are few and far between. The quality of horror movies (story and acting, wise) has fallen dramatically. As me and my friend have decided, there are 3 ways of instilling fear.

1. The Sudden Jump -this is when something jumps out from the edge of the screen at a moment of great suspense, causing you to jump from your seat, even if what pops up isn't that scary. This can be a useful tool, but if overused, it loses its appeal.
2. Blood'n'Guts - I flat out hate this. Personally i don't consider that scary. This is where you get movies like Turistas, Hostel, and Saw. Blood'n'Guts is probably the easiest way to frighten someone, but that's exactly why don't like it. It's easy, and I don't even find it scary, i either find it flat out disgusting or occasionally hilarious.
3. Psychological - this is true horror in my opinion. It's because of the mastery of this type of Horror, that Hitchcock became the legendary director he was. Its a type of horror that makes you question the reality of everything that is going on, it takes true to talent to create a movie of this fashion, and this is where 1408 lies.

I haven't read the original book by Stephen King, but again because movies tend to be far different from the book, im glad i didn't (though i was told it was fairly accurate). Anyway, when you sit down to watch this movie you will be to intertwined with what's going on it. You will NEVER know what will happen next, me and my friends were making bets, and we never were right, ever.

Unlike, in a lot of horror movies, the main character thinks logically. You will find yourself trying to find ways out of the room yourself, there were points where i felt like i was in the room. The character will use almost any means to escape the room. As the movie progresses, you slowly begin to unravel the past of the character who has locked it away.

The room almost becomes a character itself at points, responding and countering all the character says or does.

It is just beautiful. When i left the theater, i had no complaints, NONE. I don't think that has ever happened, ever, i can't say anything bad about this movie. It was phenomenol, i had one of those “my life is now complete” moments. It…it was just incredible.

Go see this movie, it is wonderful in all aspects. I could say so much more but i don't want to ruin it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Cthulhu at 11:50AM, June 29, 2007
(online)
It made my brain 'asplode.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:56AM
Hawk at 5:09PM, June 29, 2007
(online)
PhatScurl
Occasionally, i just get in moods where i like to spook myself. Its just sometimes fun to be scared, and that's why i love horror movies, but the one's i watch are few and far between.

I'm quite similar. I don't know why I like momentarily scaring myself, but I do. The first time I watched The Ring was such an excellent experience and I don't think anything has matched it for me since. But thanks for this recommendation of 1408. I'm about ready for a movie to creep me out again, and maybe this is the one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
magnus911 at 7:50PM, June 29, 2007
(offline)
It reminds me of Silent Hill 4: The Room, which is why I'm interested. And Samuel L. Jackson is there too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Boss at 8:58PM, June 29, 2007
(offline)
For a brief time, I was hard pressed to find someone who wasn't going to see the movie for Samuel L Jackson, because they wanted to hear him say, “Enough is enough!” and crap like that.

It was a great horror movie, Mr. Cusack played his part very well. First movie to make me jump in a long time. Only complaint I had was I already know of a deleted scene. It's in the trailer, the manager stands in the door and says “I warned you about 1408.”. But yeah, this movie was great. At first it reminded me of Silent Hill 4, and I always liked the concept of getting stuck in a possessed room. But I liked 1408 better than SH4. The movie just seemed more in depth, with the main character fighting so hard and risking his life to escape. In SH4, Henry just kind of accepts he can't leave.

Loved the ending, BTW.

“Now this is something I can write about. A ghost that offers a turn down service.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
mechanical_lullaby at 11:12AM, July 1, 2007
(online)
I really liked it. But I did have a few complaints. It's just that John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson had absolutely no chemistry together and the writing and acting was just so forced when they had their ten or fifteen minutes together.

I don't get near that unless it's that time of the month.

made me and my friends lol though.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Hawk at 10:39AM, July 6, 2007
(online)
I finally saw it on the 4th and I'm glad I did. It was a lot of cheap thrill scares, but that's exactly what I was looking for and it made the movie really fun. Cusack gave a pretty solid performance, too.

It's the kind of movie I'd recommend for when you don't have something you'd rather watch. Unfortunately for the next while we'll have Transformers, Harry Potter, Ratatouille, and The Simpsons Movie, so a guy might always have something he'd rather watch. And it's too bad, because this fun little flick will probably go by the wayside because of it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
RobertTidwell at 9:50PM, July 7, 2007
(offline)
The short story was boring and the movie looks cliche. I wont be watching it. I wish they had made “the thing that you can only say what it is in french” or what ever that story was called. Now that was a horror story.
Iconoclast: One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions.

http://www.drunkduck.com/Love_Song_For_Polyhymnia/
http://www.drunkduck.com/Ogre/
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Guilty_Will_be_Punished/
http://www.drunkduck.com/Labrynth/
email: RobertTidwell.Comics@gmail.com
Aim: R Tidwell Comics
http://www.myspace.com/Robert_Tidwell_Comics
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
Priest_Revan at 4:59PM, July 8, 2007
(offline)
I want to see it really badly… but I just saw Transformers so I probably wont be going to the theaters again.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Atom Apple at 8:51PM, July 8, 2007
(online)
RobertTidwell
The short story was boring and the movie looks cliche. I wont be watching it. I wish they had made “the thing that you can only say what it is in french” or what ever that story was called. Now that was a horror story.
That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French

I'm on a Google spree.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
Stain at 8:21AM, July 14, 2007
(offline)
I saw it shortly before it came out. It wasn't really that scary but it was very… Suspenseful. Personally I liked it. The acting was good and the story kept me thinking “how's he gonna get out of this one?”
Dirk Zephyrs
Stain is also pretty hot.
Lawl @ Homosexuality

K.A.L.A.-dan! Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:56PM
albone at 11:31AM, July 14, 2007
(online)
I thought it was very good. It's hard to set most of the movie in one setting-the hotel room- and make it good. Plus, John Cusak completely sold the role. Another actor might've botched it, but he was so into it, I thinnk it really made it a worthwhile film.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved