Random Discussion

2 years in jail for killing your mom
kyupol at 8:14AM, April 21, 2008
(offline)

NOTE: ARTICLE IS COPY+PASTED BECAUSE THAT SITE DELETES THEM AFTER A COUPLE WEEKS.

lol this is just… stupid. :(

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2008/04/21/5344241-sun.html

Six years is the least the Bathtub Girls should do for killing their mom. Anything less is getting away with murder

By MICHELE MANDEL

What a bargain it would be, to serve just over two years behind bars for the drowning of your mother.

The Bathtub Girls very nearly got away with murder the first time. Now, if a judge agrees to their request, they might as well be getting away with it for real.

Tomorrow, the older sister, now 21, will learn whether she will receive her “get out of jail free” card from Ontario Justice Bruce Duncan. And her 20-year-old sister is in the midst of proceedings asking for the same.

It was on Jan. 18, 2003, that the two Mississauga siblings – 16 and 15 at the time – set about their meticulous plan to rid themselves of their alcoholic mom. While nonchalantly chatting about their plot online with some pals, they plied her with vodka and Tylenol 3s laced with codeine. Then the older girl put on gloves and held her mom's head under the bathwater for four long minutes until she stopped convulsing and her final dying heaves let them know she was dead.

The girls then went to celebrate with their friends at the nearby Jack Astor's.

Canada's sensational first case of sisterly matricide very nearly didn't come to light because Peel authorities initially ruled their mother's death an unfortunate accident.

But the girls, now flush with $133,000 in insurance money, couldn't stop talking about what they had done.

'THE PERFECT CRIME'

“The two defendants set out to commit the perfect crime but instead they created the perfect prosecution,” Justice Duncan said in finding them both guilty of first-degree murder in the 2005 judge-only trial. “The case against them is overwhelming. It is probably the strongest case I have ever seen in over 30 years of prosecuting, defending and judging criminal cases.”

Each received a 10-year sentence – six years in jail and the remaining four under conditional supervision in the community.

Only two years in, they think it is time they be freed.

Both now inmates at the federal Grand Valley Institution in Kitchener, their names protected forever by the Youth Criminal Justice Act, the murderous duo are both applying to be transferred to halfway houses after serving just a third of the six years.

Justice Duncan is supposed to rule tomorrow on the older girl's request as part of the annual review of her sentence under the youth act.

'A HARSH PLACE'

“Prison is a harsh place to live,” she told the judge at her hearing in February.

Poor thing. But to those of us who would argue that it's much too soon for her release into the community, her lawyer vehemently disagrees.

“No, it isn't,” in -sists Stephen Gehl. “She has demonstrated in connection with her rehabilitation a true commitment and a genuine remorse for what she did.”

The murder wasn't the act of someone who was mentally ill or suffering from a personality disorder, Gehl told the Sun. Instead it was – as the judge himself described it – “situational.”

Indeed.

This is how the older sister coolly related drowning her mom to a friend secretly taping her for police. “Only four minutes … that's how long I held her head under the water for … After that, she just kept convulsing and twisting in the water,” she said.

“All I had to do was hold her head under water … It's a lot easier to kill a person than you think. It's a lot harder to get away with it.”

She certainly seemed to love the notoriety that came with it. During the trial, she posted nude photos of herself online and boasted of being arrested for murder.

And what of their victim? Their mother, her name never to be known, was a 43-year-old single mom struggling with alcohol who worked two hospital jobs to support the girls and their younger half-brother – and keep up with their increasing demands.

But it was never enough. The daughters didn't like their tawdry townhouse or even the Christmas presents their mom would scrape together to buy, once even throwing one back in her face.

Demanding and manipulative, the sisters were even figuring how their arrest a year after the murder could be turned to their advantage.

“Is your education paid if you're in jail by the province or something?” the older girl asked the interrogating officer.

It sure is, at taxpayers' expense. Her lawyer says the older girl wants to be released to a halfway house in Brampton so she can study engineering at the University of Waterloo.

The younger one recently learned she has been ap -proved for a fully paid, federally funded scholarship from Athabaska University.

It is encouraging to know that both sisters are doing so well, that they have become model prisoners and well on their way to being rehabilitated. Good on them.

But surely, there still must be a penance to pay. Let them do their time. It's a piddly six years – and the least they should do for killing the woman who gave them life.

Anything less, and they really are getting away with murder

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Fluttercanon at 10:12AM, April 21, 2008
(offline)
That is really, really disgusting. Killing their mother for practically killing herself letting you live is one thing, them letting them get away with it and taking advantage of it is a whole different kettle of fish. Both are disgusting. Both together is too appalling for words.

That poor mother. :(
Soulbound - Comic coming soon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
HippieVan at 4:04PM, April 21, 2008
(online)
I think it's strange they say “Prison is a harsh place to live.” Well no kidding! It's supposed to be punishment!
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Skullbie at 4:07PM, April 22, 2008
(online)
Kiling your own mother…for gods sakes why wont our justice system allow us to chain sick fucks up and smash their kneecaps with a baseball bat…(I'm referring more to rapist and pedophiles)

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
Jimeth at 4:20PM, April 22, 2008
(online)
Argh, I stopped letting myself get worked up about stuff like this. It only puts me in a temper.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Walrus at 4:53PM, April 22, 2008
(online)
Really…. Really …. REALLY messed up!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 8:19AM, April 23, 2008
(offline)
Our justice system is retarded. One dude got 6 years for killing a little girl, and someone got life for stealing from a bakery. The bakery was attached to a federal post office, so obviously he was stealing from the government.

We need to make an eye for an eye style rule book with pre-determined sentences.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved