Drunk Duck Awards

2010 DD Award FINALISTS!!!
thefightingstranger at 12:36PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
Heh, I'm not mad, it just turned into a sitcom situation where one guy gives his opinion and everyone mumbles and disagrees. Then the star or the show says the same exact thing and everyone goes, “Oh that's a great idea!” Cue laugh track.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
usedbooks at 12:40PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
thefightingstranger
Heh, I'm not mad, it just turned into a sitcom situation where one guy gives his opinion and everyone mumbles and disagrees. Then the star or the show says the same exact thing and everyone goes, “Oh that's a great idea!” Cue laugh track.
Heh, I was just watching that gag on my Get Smart collection yesterday.

Max: “Why did…..”
99: “Yes, why, Chief?”
Chief: “I'm glad you asked that, 99.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
osakilina at 1:23PM, July 27, 2010
(offline)
JustNoPoint
As for manga. They all look a good deal like different styles to me :P Then again the actual idea of a category called “comic” (the japanese word for comic) is a bit silly. True manga is very VERY variant. I just go with the idea that if they look a bit mainstream manga in design then it is manga. My own comic is a blend of anime and US influences. But I classify it as manga because I think the readers of manga would like it.

Geminni is nominated as both Best Manga and Best Overall Strip Comic. It cannot be both, in my opinion. A four panel strip comic is not what manga is. As I said in my earlier post, just because something is drawn in the “anime” style doesn't make it manga. While Japanese manga has varying styles, the overall concept is that it's done in black and white with tones in a traditional full page comic layout.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
JustNoPoint at 1:46PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
This is where some different opinions can come into play. I wouldn't think of manga as JUST black and white. And Azumanga Daioh is just a strip but is also printed as a manga.

Some people think for it to be manga it even has to read from right to left.

Many categories can be up for personal interpretations that is why I give the leave way.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
VegaX at 1:48PM, July 27, 2010
(offline)
Geminni is also nominated in the "Best Philosophical/Spiritual Comic" category. From what i have read there no Spiritual or Philosophical stuff going on at all?!?!

Geminni is basically a four panel strip comic with a joke at the end. Not what i would consider very Spiritual. Did the Geminni fans just go all out on this one and nominate blindly?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
Genejoke at 1:49PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
I guess if all the appointed judges feel it doesn't fit the category then maybe it could be looked at and moderated by JNP… maybe.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Genejoke at 1:51PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
VegaX
Geminni is also nominated in the "Best Philosophical/Spiritual Comic" category. From what i have read there no Spiritual or Philosophical stuff going on at all.

Did the Geminni fans just go all out on this one and nominate blindly?

That seems to have happened a lot, guess it is unavoidable though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
usedbooks at 2:29PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
Yeah, probably “blind voting” just filling in one thing on the whole ballot. That's one of the things we are brainstorming to reduce in the future (like with different ballots or with stricter filtering of votes).
demontales at 3:06PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
thefightingstranger Someone

Not sure if you're talking about what I said. If yes,I'm really sorry it sounded like I stole your ideas, I didn't understand it in the same way. I thought you were saying that people should go and tell the person in charge of the awards what category they want ot be in and that it would be announced later, but not necessarily with promotion.
And I also thought my post would get ignored.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
artdude2002 at 3:40PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
I'm glad to see so many comics I voted for on the finalists list. The judges have some tough decisions to make.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
rogerawilbanks at 4:25PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
I really feel out of place in even replying to this but since I got nominated for so many of these damn awards I feel I ought to say a bit. I was one of those ‘advertisers’, I suppose… if by that, you mean asking the people who read my comic to nominate me. I draw the line at offering bonuses for that tho. I try to find more clever ways of engaging my readers (Like the “Who wants to get blown up in my comic?” contest)
My comic The Portland Express is not in the top 10. It isn't in the top 100 for that matter. I am lucky to have 60 readers each week when I update. I like to think these people come back because they like what they see, and that others will take a look if only to find out what all the fuss is about.
That said, I am still humbled by the sheer volume of nominations I received and I say right now I don't deserve half of them. I don't think limiting nominations is a good idea, though it will free up more variety. If I think your comic is the best Humor Comic, it is the best Humor Comic even if it's also the best lettered, best colored etc.
You will never have an award contest without a few bruises. Heck, you are lucky to have one with only a few casualties. You gave a lot of time to get people to nominate the comics. Limiting it to one vote per person was a very good idea. The only thing I would change would be the voting process' user verification. I would make them sign in before going to the nomination page. That would streamline the process a bit. Aside from that, well done and Thank You from the bottom of my heart to any and all who nominated The Portland Express.
–rog–
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
JediAnn Solo at 5:05PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
Last year, ONE nomination overwhelmed me with excitement. Now this year I have TWO! ^-^ It means a lot to someone like me, who has a big but often very quiet fanbase– plus the fact that I'm not in the Top… enything list.

Now, I see there's some debate going on here, but I'm a little too joyful to join in at the moment. So I'll just drop my thank you here and maybe jump into the conversation sometime in the future. c:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
JustNoPoint at 5:45PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
THERE it took all frikin day but I finally got all the awards posted on everyone's comics. Phew…

Let me know if I messed an award for you. I will wait till tomorrow to get started on the presentation and judging stuff. That's right 1 more whole day!!! But man I had no idea this would take so long!!! I now have a whole new respect for Amanda!!! WOW!
Nicotine at 6:21PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
JustNoPoint
THERE it took all frikin day but I finally got all the awards posted on everyone's comics. Phew…

Let me know if I messed an award for you. I will wait till tomorrow to get started on the presentation and judging stuff. That's right 1 more whole day!!! But man I had no idea this would take so long!!! I now have a whole new respect for Amanda!!! WOW!

It seems like a lot of work for sure @_@. Next year there should be someone (or two people) assigned to the position of “Official DD Award Banner-dropper” XDD

Thanks for the banner! ^O^
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
usedbooks at 6:38PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
JNP's wearing all the hats this year. I'm gonna write all his jobs down somewhere, so next year we can try to get a division of labor (for the html, site updates, vote tallying and verifying, banner/award making, award distributing, panelist coordinating, etc.). It's all a lot for one man.

Good thing JNP is a cyborg.

Luckily, we do seem to have a lot of people volunteering this year for presentations and panels. Amanda and JNP had to round out quite a number of panels last year. And the year before that, Amanda ended up making a ton of presentations herself because there weren't enough volunteers.

So, everyone, if you haven't volunteered for something yet and have the time, go do it! It removes some of the burden on the already overworked, isn't hard, and it's fun!
vwyler at 8:04PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
Wow! Some debate! I'm flattered that I was nominated, but admittedly a bit surprised, considering I haven't been on DD very long. Yet, with all this consternation, perhaps dropping the awards altogether might be the best solution. It seems to cause nothing but arguments and hurt feelings. Either that or insisting that Wowio hire an unbiased outside panel of industry experts to judge the entries and determine the winner based on artistic and literary merit. Just a thought.;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
DarkChibiShadow at 8:14PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO VOTED~~~

(Can't believe I kept forgeting to put that nom. up…)

K.A.L.A-dan! Shipper!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
usedbooks at 8:38PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
vwyler
It seems to cause nothing but arguments and hurt feelings.
Nah. That's not true. It's a lot of fun. Yes, people get upset too (people will always get upset in even the most light-hearted contest. (You should have seen the DD Beauty Contest a few years ago!) But it is a great thing overall, and every year we improve upon the process thanks to discussions. The most fun comes with the presentations and acceptance speeches. It's WAY more than “webcomic awards,” it's a really neat massive community project. (Check out last year's awards. They were great, and this year will be even better!)

vwyler
insisting that Wowio hire an unbiased outside panel of industry experts to judge the entries and determine the winner based on artistic and literary merit.
There's nothing wrong with the judging panels. :) They work very well, especially with the forum JNP set up last year. No one has said anything against the panel process this year either, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. (Have you signed up to judge? You should, because the process works well, and you'll see that the DD members are at least as qualified as any outside forces.)

Most critiques and suggestions are about the process of the ballot and coming up with the nominees. We try to tweak and improve the process every year. That's what the discussion is about. (Aside from a textbook thread side-tracking, but I wouldn't call a forum quarrel “nothing but hurt feelings.” )

~~~~~~~~~~~

Btw, if anyone is interested in a recent history of DD Awards…

DD Awards 2008
DD Awards 2009

EDIT:
Ah! Here! I found a list of the DD Award Winners in 2007. The actual pages for them no longer exist. Those awards were done in two rounds. One of nominees to get finalists, and then a round of voting.
JustNoPoint at 8:42PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
I don't think it is THAT bad yet :P This is the 1st year where there has been a bit of angst. This is also the 1st year I ever did this by myself and Amanda didn't handle it. But I'll just hope that is a coincidence XD

We've had some of this come up before. But just never to this degree. Though the 1st time I guess a lot of people got mad because ONLY the top 10 comics got awards. At least this way it has been better.
I think instead of giving up we keep trying to use the discussions and ideas to form a better Awards next year! We will never reach a point where everyone is happy but we can keep attempting to work at things and change things up :)

EDIT: Vickie beat me again!!!
vwyler
Wow! Some debate! I'm flattered that I was nominated, but admittedly a bit surprised, considering I haven't been on DD very long. Yet, with all this consternation, perhaps dropping the awards altogether might be the best solution. It seems to cause nothing but arguments and hurt feelings. Either that or insisting that Wowio hire an unbiased outside panel of industry experts to judge the entries and determine the winner based on artistic and literary merit. Just a thought.;)
usedbooks at 8:51PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
I forgot to mention that more people seem to get interested and involved every year, and it becomes a “bigger deal” each time. So, of course we will hear more critiques of the process as we have more interest in it. I think that's a really good sign!
vwyler at 11:07PM, July 27, 2010
(online)
I'm sorry if I sounded as if I were questioning the honesty of the judging panel. I certainly didn't mean to imply that. All I meant was that a paid set of outside experts handling the entire affair might cast the cold light of objectivity more easily than a set of domestic volunteers. After all, many Duckers have an emotional stake in this, as demonstrated by the singed feelings of the top tenners. Taking rejection from an outsider seems easier than having to hear it from your friends.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
blntmaker at 1:10AM, July 28, 2010
(online)
Just read the 2007 DD Awards list. One day, maybe in a PQ…someone needs to clear up that Tera Forming mystery.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
usedbooks at 4:13AM, July 28, 2010
(online)
vwyler
Taking rejection from an outsider seems easier than having to hear it from your friends.
Well, maybe, but it wouldn't be FUN. The awards are a community thing. Run by all of us the way we want, and the more people involved, the better. :)

You aren't the first person to suggest that, but it would be a really different kind of project/event. It is a community project and the spirit of this community makes DD great. With some exceptions, DD members are bright and innovative people who support and encourage each other and share in each others' successes. I know that sounds warm and fuzzy, but if you hang out in the forums and comic comments and join a few community projects, you get that sense. We hope people who aren't nominated will sign up to be judges and presenters, so it isn't all about the people being honored/awarded. It is an open, everyone get involved and have fun, thing.

As for as “competitions” go, this is still one of the most supportive and least “bad feelings” one there is – even back when it had more bugs in it. It's neat how much discussion and suggestions it is sparking this year, because it used to be hard to get anyone to give a damn about it.
JustNoPoint at 8:13AM, July 28, 2010
(online)
Ozone just accepted adminship at the DD Awards judging forum too ^_^

He says he'll do so next week after his San Diego stuff is over!
usedbooks at 8:39AM, July 28, 2010
(online)
JustNoPoint
Ozone just accepted adminship at the DD Awards judging forum too ^_^

He says he'll do so next week after his San Diego stuff is over!
Good thing! Because we will both be MIA during the same week, and the forum would be left to go feral! XD
KDog at 11:12AM, Aug. 2, 2010
(online)
Walrus
JustNoPoint
*Best Photo Comic
WWE The Comic
Asshole
Lego Space
Attack of the Robofemoids

Well, I'm pretty happy, this is my second or third nomination for WWE The Comic. Congrats to everyone else who was nominated, good luck! Although Lego Space will probably win again.

Anything could happen, man. Congrats to you and the other finalists, too!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
bravo1102 at 5:15AM, Aug. 3, 2010
(online)
KDog
Walrus
JustNoPoint
*Best Photo Comic
WWE The Comic
Asshole
Lego Space
Attack of the Robofemoids

Well, I'm pretty happy, this is my second or third nomination for WWE The Comic. Congrats to everyone else who was nominated, good luck! Although Lego Space will probably win again.

Anything could happen, man. Congrats to you and the other finalists, too!

Yeah, some comic about boobs jokes and aliens could win. lol!

Honestly I'm surprised but highly honored to be a finalist this year with a comic that only started two months ago.

Congratulations to all finalists.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
maskedmonkey at 6:00AM, Aug. 9, 2010
(offline)
WWE The Comic Should win for photo comic!
(\__/) | This is Bunny.
(>.^ ) | Copy Bunny into your signature to help
(> < ) | him on his way to world domination! Help him or die!

Very Random Comic
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
JazylH at 8:09PM, Nov. 8, 2010
(online)
I hope my comic can make the cut for next year's awards. This list is amazing. Been checking out all the comic. :)

Updated Mondays & Fridays
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved