Drunk Duck Awards

2010 Drunk Duck Awards discussions, ideas, and other thoughts for next year
JustNoPoint at 4:54PM, Sept. 14, 2010
(online)
With the DD Awards finally over* with ~falls over~—
Um… I'm okay, just a little faint…

I hope everyone had a great time and I hope some of your favorites took home an award! This year was so much fun and I learned a LOT about organizing this thing myself that can help next year!

Some of the things I remember offhand are:
A new method to get finalists (sorta)… basically getting rid of the ties and letting more comics come into the finals? Some sort of semi panel for ties? I would say to also help make sure that comics are in the correct categories but I'll make sure to have someone help me check and will not leave as much to the idea that “a lot of ppl wouldn't vote a comic into the wrong category” cause apparently they totally would XD

A way to advertise… um, how the heck will that work? As in when does that start? When does the host start uploading? The idea is to allow authors to post pages advertising the awards on the awards forum itself. I'll start brainstorming more on this.

Featuring the Awards
When is best? This year we featured it during the voting. Last year we featured it when the winners were being announced. I think during the voting time is the best time myself.

Anything else? comment, discuss =D

And thank you once more for another successful year!!!

*on the 15th
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
usedbooks at 6:32PM, Sept. 14, 2010
(online)
JustNoPoint
A way to advertise… um, how the heck will that work? As in when does that start? When does the host start uploading? The idea is to allow authors to post pages advertising the awards on the awards forum itself. I'll start brainstorming more on this.
Last year, I spent my PW cash on an ad campaign, but I was too greedy of my cash this year. Sorry. (Amanda got that interview last year too, because someone saw the PW banner.)

Another idea is to set up the site early and let people submit “for your consideration” pages to promote either their comics or their favorite comics in certain categories. In the judging forum, there was some discussion about what a shame it was that certain fantastic comics didn't make the finals. So, I think the “for your consideration” pages should be able to be submitted not only by creators but by fans. Finalists are chosen by fans, after all.

To fit that into the timeline,

Going backwards…

Go time: beginning of Sept
Judging/Tally/presenter assignments: beginning of August
Ballots: beginning/middle of July (two weeks might be enough?)

So… promotion pages etc. should be throughout June, which means the site will need to be set up and all the categories decided on in May (starting as early in May as possible).

And that means we need to have finalizing discussions in early May or even April, so we can lock in things and minimize any complaining about added or subtracted categories.

~~~~~~~~~~

Changes this year that I liked were the free inclusion of extras and the judges' quotes were a nice touch.

The feature during voting was good.

We lacked participation numbers for judging, so a couple judges took on a lot of extra load. It worked out fine, but it would work better to have as many different minds/voices as possible. It also gets difficult when categories go on hold, while one of the panel finishes discussion on three other categories. – In short, we need to come up with more judges, maybe even outside of DD.

More volunteers helping with things like coding and making and handing out finalist/award banners would be a great relief to whoever is the MC next year. I know these jobs were time-consuming for JNP and could be easily outsourced (he outsourced site design to me, but someone else could do it much better – where is out best website layout winner? ;) )

Some people miss the DDer awards from last year because others insisted we drop them. We should consider those.

Changing the ballots was suggested (to reduce blind voting), but I've seen the way ballots were done, and I believe amanda set up the script. If any good coders want to create a new ballot that will give results which are easily tallied, I see no problem with it, but it's a matter of someone with the time and skill getting that done.

I believe the ballots as they are work fine when the tally is done carefully. I think we need to have at least two or three sets of eyes to do the tally/filtering next year or at least the tallier run it by another person to scrutiny before announcing finalists. “For your consideration” pages should also encourage more thought behind votes.

I like the categories this year. We eliminated a few of them and added the “Lettering” award.

We have suggested adding a couple flat-out “popular vote” categories like “favorite overall story” and “favorite overall strip.” We currently cover the popular vote with a “reader's choice,” which is awarded to the comic with the most votes in all categories added together. If we make sure to not include the “blind votes” in this, that works fine, but the suggestion is up for debate. (I am glad we put it in a presentation this year instead of stuck in the author notes in the credits.)

I know JNP was disappointed with some of the categories not having enough votes to get five good finalists and had to stick with four. I don't think they should be cut from the awards, but I do think we should simply allow for a range of finalists from 4 to 6 (kinda what we did non-deliberately this year) based on voting response.

~~~~~~~~~~

I have the “big lists” of all votes ready to share after the last awards go live, btw. I even linked to all the ones with the “significant votes” (meaning a notable cream of the crop over the vast majority of lower number “ties” ), so you can get an idea of the differences between categories and voter response. ;) I doubt we could use all of them as “finalists” (in some cases, there are more than ten; way too much work for judges – even if we get plenty of volunteers), but it might provide some insight to the 4 to 6 (or even seven if we have enough volunteers that no one is judging 5+ categories) range.

~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Overall, I still love our process and would discourage any *major* changes, but there are a few things we can tweak to make things smoother, more fun, and encourage more participation. :)

Great year! Every year gets better, imo, so let's keep that up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
usedbooks at 6:56PM, Sept. 14, 2010
(online)
Oh, another “new thing” added this year was the trophy/award design contest. I think that was a great idea. ^_^ It added participation opportunity and reduced the work for the organizer. I think we should continue it as a tradition.

JNP was full of great ideas this year, no?

He even had a few he couldn't implement due to lack of volunteers.
Nicotine at 7:08PM, Sept. 14, 2010
(online)
Don't really have the time to add much, but most of my thoughts are on that thread with the massive debate. xD

I don't think the voting method should be changed, I just think there needs to be more people organizing things so that comics don't end up being finalist for things they don't fit in (blatant things like a non-Anthro comic being in the Anthro category).

Also, I don't think the DD'er awards should be brought back. How in the world do you even judge a thing like that?? ^^;

As for the Best Lettering, as someone who judged it, I think it should stay; didn't see any problems with it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
usedbooks at 7:09PM, Sept. 14, 2010
(online)
Nicotine
Also, I don't think the DD'er awards should be brought back. How in the world do you even judge a thing like that?? ^^;
It was a popular vote. Not judged categories.
harkovast at 1:50AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
I thought best lettering seemed kinda dumb.
Who ever read a comic and went “ooooh, love that lettering!” ?
It seems like having an award for best boarders.
I've seen comic screw up their boarders, drawing them by hand and it ruined the whole comic. But I've never seen it done so well that I was impressed or noticed it as good. Seems like that is on the same level as lettering.
Yeah its important but I don't feel it warrants an award.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
Nicotine at 2:48AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
@usedbooks - I didn't know that, sorry xD

I dunno…Best Lettering…I think lettering is important, and in some comics, it really does stand out. I'd say keep it and see how it goes next year. Ooor, Best Layouts + Best Lettering = Best Layouts and Lettering…? Those two do sort of go together.

And maybe nix Best Protagonist and Antagonist and add Best Character Development…?

There are a couple of categories that I think could be added (like Best Historical), but with all these categories we already have that would be sort of crazy, right? @_@
usedbooks at 3:13AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
Well, if more comics were HAND-lettered, I think it would be a awesome category, but none of the finalists were and I don't know if there are enough. It's almost like having a “western” category. It's a legitimate category, but there aren't enough “qualifying” comics.

Other than hand lettering, I can see lettering (or rather font choice, balloon placement, etc.) as part of layout.

Hey, Nicotine, if you have categories to suggest, suggest away! There are no dumb ideas (only dumb people XD ). Seriously, though, we cut and add categories every year. If it's a legitimate thing to recognize, we must brainstorm and consider. Actually, let me put here some of the categories I recall we used to have but cut out.

DDer awards: (done by popular vote) I think these were cut exactly because of the misunderstanding in how they were picked. But also because a few people wanted to keep the awards solely about comics and not about the users.
Best tense scenes: There used to be best tense scenes and best humorous scenes, but it seemed redundant with writing awards. We changed the latter to “best humor.”
Best digital art / Best traditional art: These were cut because the qualifications were hard to define. Comics would be nominated in both categories. Most comics use both. And it was redundant to have so many art awards on top of comic genres.
Best lineart / Best coloring: Since mostly B&W comics were nominated for best lineart anyway, these were changed to the categories of “best color art” and “best B&W art” and now encompass the general art awards (along with best “background art.” )

A few other categories were combined as evidence by there name. Autobiographical and slice-of-life, for example. And Mystery and Noir (to also include general crime drama). This was because of the heavy crossover of candidates as well as the numbers of candidates. Noir seemed redundant in crime-drama and horror; it rested on a blurry edge, so it was lumped with crime drama to provide definition to the category. I think these combinations have worked out well.

There have been suggestions to remove the website design/layout award (for the same reason as DDer awards, it isn't comic-related), but I'd push to keep it AND the DDer awards because both are a big part of DD.

I'm not sure about best historical… Wouldn't they mostly fall into the socio/political category? Or would we replace that category with historical? (There seemed to be a lot of overlap between political and philosophical comics too… Maybe a recombination and/or renaming of categories should be considered.

Oh, also, I like the “best antagonist/protagonist character awards.” It's fun focusing on a character! In fact, I push every year to add “best couple” to the list, but no one has seconded that one yet. :)

And I think “character design” also covers development – or at least there's be too much overlap in nominees and judging and everything to warrant two separate categories.
JustNoPoint at 6:41AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
I don't think Best Lettering really had a big enough turn out either. I kinda want to remove that one too.

I do want to bring back the DDer awards though. I was sad so many seemed to want them removed and was happy to see so many chime in after the list was set in stone (ie too late :P)

That's all I can muster up to add right now. Still too hungover from all the celebrations!…
Nicotine at 7:50AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
I don't think I have much more to add xD. I think if it makes people happy, the DD'er awards should come back. I also wouldn't mine if Lettering was deleted or added to layout like I said.

I actually thought of best character design as the way the characters look not act. That's how I and the other two judges I was with seemed to see it. So maybe a name change to the category? Best Character Design and Developement?

I don't really care if there's a Historical category or not, but if there is I don't think it can be lumped with socio/political.

And best couple! I like that! But we have Best Romance already, you know?
usedbooks at 8:13AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
Nicotine
And best couple! I like that! But we have Best Romance already, you know?
Yeah. That's the usual argument against my suggestion. ^_^; I think it's fun to focus on a character, but I guess the best couple probably would come from whatever comics contend for best romance.

Although, there are some fun couples in non-romance comics or comics that are unlikely to be voted in the romance category. An “adventure couple” could win the prize. – If we are more flexible in defining “couple,” a good “bromance” could win. ;)
DAJB at 9:55AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
First thoughts on some of these suggestions:

usedbooks
I can see lettering (or rather font choice, balloon placement, etc.) as part of layout.
I'd disagree with that (obviously, I suppose!) If you do everything in your comic yourself, it might seem as if layout and lettering are part and parcel of the same thing but - if the functions are separated (as they have been in my comic this last year) - it becomes apparent that they are two very different parts of the comic-making process. Obviously each has to take into account the considerations of the other, but then so does every other part of the comic.

usedbooks
DDer awards: (done by popular vote) I think these were cut exactly because of the misunderstanding in how they were picked. But also because a few people wanted to keep the awards solely about comics and not about the users.
There was also an (incorrect!) belief that these awards only ever went to the Mods/Admins and that they should not be given an award for simply “doing their job”. If people do now want them back, maybe Mods and Admins could be ineligible in the same way that a company's employees are usually not allowed to enter contests run by that company? I don't feel strongly either way, but that might clarify the position.

usedbooks
Best tense scenes: There used to be best tense scenes and best humorous scenes, but it seemed redundant with writing awards. We changed the latter to “best humor.”
Another problem with Best Tense Scenes was that it meant too many different things to different people. No one quite knew what they were supposed to be voting for!

usedbooks
A few other categories were combined as evidence by there name. Autobiographical and slice-of-life, for example. And Mystery and Noir (to also include general crime drama). This was because of the heavy crossover of candidates as well as the numbers of candidates. Noir seemed redundant in crime-drama and horror; it rested on a blurry edge, so it was lumped with crime drama to provide definition to the category. I think these combinations have worked out well.
I agree. It doesn't make sense to have categories with only one or two eligible comics in them!

usedbooks
There have been suggestions to remove the website design/layout award but I'd push to keep it
Again, I agree. Some people put an enormous amount of work into customising their pages and it's right to recognise and encourage that. My only reservation would be if there were only ever the same two or three comics which qualified, but I'd certainly let it run for a couple of years until a proper assessment can be made.

usedbooks
I'm not sure about best historical… Wouldn't they mostly fall into the socio/political category? Or would we replace that category with historical? (There seemed to be a lot of overlap between political and philosophical comics too…
I think the problem here would be that too few comics would qualify for a Best Historical Comic category. And I agree, those there are would certainly fit into other categories anyway.

usedbooks
Oh, also, I like the “best antagonist/protagonist character awards.” It's fun focusing on a character! In fact, I push every year to add “best couple” to the list, but no one has seconded that one yet. :)
Loved the Best Protagonist and Best Antagonist categories this year! Not sold on the need for a Best Couple though!

JustNoPoint
Featuring the Awards
When is best? This year we featured it during the voting. Last year we featured it when the winners were being announced. I think during the voting time is the best time myself.
I know there's a rule about comics not being featured twice but, since the awards are a special “in-house” event, couldn't an exception be made? A feature during voting is the more important, I think, since creators need to be made very aware that it's happening. I'm sure a lot of creators who don't hang around the forums are still missing out on this. A second feature during the announcements would be ideal though, just so that everyone can see all the wonderful presentations!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
usedbooks at 10:07AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
Nicotine
I don't really care if there's a Historical category or not, but if there is I don't think it can be lumped with socio/political.
Oh, I know they are distinctly different, but so are the other “joined” categories we have (noir is not the same as mystery; slice-of-life is markedly different from autobiography). My concerns are #1) Are there enough historical comics to warrant a separate category and #2) Would there be a lot of overlap with socio/political comics. There are definitely socio/political comics that are not at all historical or in a past setting, and some historical stories without a focus on political or sociological. But history itself is defined by social/cultural/political climates, so I'm sure there would be quite a lot of overlap. Almost so much to call historical a subgenre of socio/political, imo. (There are exceptions, but I'm not sure it's enough to warrant a separate category.)

The two on my favorites list that jump to mind as examples are your comic The Rose Killer and Tantz's Without Moonlight. Both are set distinctly in a historical past; however, every element that counts them as historical can also be interpreted as social, cultural, or political. The same can be said of The Optimist. If not for the social/political climate and issues, none of these comics would be “historical” at all. – Or if they were “historical” but without that focus, they'd fit nicely into other genres, probably better than they would into history.

DAJB
I know there's a rule about comics not being featured twice but, since the awards are a special “in-house” event, couldn't an exception be made? A feature during voting is the more important, I think, since creators need to be made very aware that it's happening. I'm sure a lot of creators who don't hang around the forums are still missing out on this. A second feature during the announcements would be ideal though, just so that everyone can see all the wonderful presentations!
I think the issue is a technical one. I don't think the system ALLOWS for a comic to be featured a second time.

I would suggest people to remind their favorite authors about the awards and encourage fellow readers to vote for them. Some authors and readers never visit the front page or the forums. But they do see comments on their comics.
DAJB at 10:18AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
DAJB
usedbooks
I think the issue is a technical one. I don't think the system ALLOWS for a comic to be featured a second time.
You may be right; I'm not sure. I do think it would be worth making enquiries. When the system has been down in the past (ah, happy days!) featured comics have certainly been allowed to stay “current” for an extra period, so it might not be as cut and dried as that.
JustNoPoint at 10:42AM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
Yeah, the system will simply NOT ALLOW a comic to be featured twice. And keeping the feature up longer wouldn't be good either as it would have to stay up for almost 2 months =p

That's what I originally asked Skoolmunkee. But nope, 2 features for 1 comic isn't possible so I went with featuring during the actual voting period.

Comparing to last year comment turn outs are smaller. By about 400 this year. I'm sure the feature helped give the presentation pages comments. But it's still more important for the voting to get more views!
fukujinzuke at 12:23PM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
Raffle prize for participation might help increase exposure… like art from JNP (i.e. guest page by JNP for YOUR comic!). And though there's a DD Awards forum already, I think looking for potential participants in the community projects forum might be appropriate.

Maybe allow some mock commercials for extras. (Not that they weren't allowed this year, but I don't think anyone actually thought of it).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
Nicotine at 2:16PM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
Like I said, it doesn't matter to me what new categories there are or there isn't, just shooting some ideas out there. I know there'd be overlap, and I know there are similarities (I study politics and history all day xD) I just didn't think they were as close as mystery and noir. I personally don't think autobiographical and slice of life should be together at all, but I know the majority would think otherwise.

I'm not even sure if new ideas should be brought to the table just yet. This year and last year there's been a serious shortage of people helping to organize things in the first place. I think there needs to be someone in charge of dealing with the voting, an advertising person or two, someone else involved with getting judges together, a person keeping in touch with the resenters, ect. Plus, I think there should be a DD award “president” who will keep in contact with all the other leaders.

If you don't have organization, you have a very stressful awards. I'd say there needs to be 10 plus people in charge of certain aspects.
usedbooks at 2:47PM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
Nicotine
If you don't have organization, you have a very stressful awards. I'd say there needs to be 10 plus people in charge of certain aspects.
Ever since the beginning, awards only happen because one person steps forward and gets it rolling. – And the moment that person asks for help/volunteers, everyone goes MIA really quickly. XD And all years the cry goes out for help. It doesn't show up. There's no choice but to go ahead without it.

Also, to keep things streamlined and on schedule, it would be better to not have too many chefs in the kitchen. Some jobs can be given to volunteers easily (such as coding, promotion, and making/distributing award banners). But for the sake of organization, schedule keeping, and integrity, access to ballots, judging forums, and the comic account must be limited. – Not that that will ever be an issue. :P From past experience, it's not like we have to “limit” volunteers. It's hard enough to get judges and presenters and those are the easiest and the most rewarding jobs!

You can be sure the call will go out again, and we'll hope people will step forward.

(God knows I didn't. I only started getting involved because JNP is my friend and I had to listen to him complain. Plus, he was my ride at DWEX. Better to make sure he was alive and sane when I got there. ;) )
El Cid at 9:07PM, Sept. 15, 2010
(online)
I really liked the idea of letting people do little mini-comics and extras, but there haven't been nearly enough of ‘em submitted so far (I know, they can still submit for like another week). If there’s one thing I could suggest for next year, it'd be finding some kind of way to better orchestrate that “extra” aspect of the show. Without the extras, what you end up with is like the MTV Video Music Awards without all the performances and funny skits between award presentations.

Having open submissions like you did this year is a good idea, but that can also work against you. Some artists are going to assume that, because anyone can submit anything, that there must already be tons of people submitting stuff, so they don't feel pressured to submit anything themselves. So next year it might help to personally contact some people and try to twist their arm into contributing original material for the show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
JustNoPoint at 5:24AM, Sept. 16, 2010
(online)
Another “bad” thing about the extras is that I really have to wait till all presentations are set in stone. Presentations have to be priority and it'd be a bit unnerving if ppl kept submitting extras instead of making the main courses.

Or at least that was something I worried about this year. I had the idea for extras really early on but didn't want to announce them till I had the presentations.

fukujinzuke
And though there's a DD Awards forum already, I think looking for potential participants in the community projects forum might be appropriate.
That's not a bad idea. Making the announcements in the Awards forum but linking to the Community Projects forum for the LEGIT sign ins.

@Nicotine: It really wasn't that bad all by myself. I did cut corners a bit and it made me drop the ball on occasions. Mostly because of some complicated things going on in my real life where I felt I needed to prioritize time there. Not all bad :)

Normally I lead a really boring life by myself =p But this year has been an adventure for sure! A lot of time is put into this, don't get me wrong. To be honest I am SOOOO burned out right now and happy it's over XD Things like this just tend to work better with 1 person or splitting some duties just a little.

Last year Amanda did all the presentation stuff and DD stuff. I collected acceptance speeches, kept heckling judges, and ran the judging forum. And counted half the winners up. We discussed a few questionable nominees last year and made decisions like that on qualifications. I think that'd be the best way to bring in new organizers. Let them take on partial roles and see the steps being taken in the other ones. But, I'll be willing to do it again next year if need be so no worries there =)
MeHighLow at 1:28PM, Sept. 16, 2010
(online)
Regarding the feature problem. I too agree that it worked out better that the Awards were featured during voting… But I would love to have seen them featured when the winners were announced. So could the conundrum be solved by simply making TWO comics?

The first one - the DD award VOTING

And the second one the DD awards PROPER (or we can call it GALA or CEREMONY or simply DD AWARDS or as you like it).

The voting feature works because it draws votes in, but there isn't much of a comic up there anyway at that point, so it seems OK that you scrap it after the voting is done and make a new comic, you know, with actual comic pages, which can then get featured.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
usedbooks at 1:36PM, Sept. 16, 2010
(online)
MeHighLow
The voting feature works because it draws votes in, but there isn't much of a comic up there anyway at that point,
Well, there might be next year if we choose to let people submit “vote for me/him/it” pages prior to voting. Of course, it might work nicely to keep those separate from the actual presentations too.

It's certainly an idea that could work. :) I know the 2007 awards had two or three separate comics set up. Separate ones for each round of voting and another to announce the winners.
JustNoPoint at 2:34PM, Sept. 16, 2010
(online)
I also worry about abusing the feature system I wouldn't mind it if the admins didn't mind it though.

If there was another way to get the news on the front page that'd be awesome! But it's really the only way as of right now =/

I already felt funny enough asking for it to be featured :P
AzuJOD at 2:45AM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
usedbooks
Oh, also, I like the “best antagonist/protagonist character awards.” It's fun focusing on a character! In fact, I push every year to add “best couple” to the list, but no one has seconded that one yet.

While I'm not sold on a “best couple” award, what I do think we could have is an award for “best supporting/secondary character” (like “best supporting actor” at the Oscars), because a lot comics could have characters which are fan favourites, but are not a protagonist.

Just putting it out there…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
usedbooks at 3:50AM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
AzuJOD
usedbooks
Oh, also, I like the “best antagonist/protagonist character awards.” It's fun focusing on a character! In fact, I push every year to add “best couple” to the list, but no one has seconded that one yet.

While I'm not sold on a “best couple” award, what I do think we could have is an award for “best supporting/secondary character” (like “best supporting actor” at the Oscars), because a lot comics could have characters which are fan favourites, but are not a protagonist.

Just putting it out there…
Technically, secondary characters and even minions are also defined as protagonists/antagonists, but they won't receive as many votes as a main character (or will be marked down by judges for not being a main character).

That's splitting hairs, I know. I'm kinda anal about word usage and definitions. Heh.

It's a category worth considering. We'll add any category that has enough support behind it and remove any that enough people want removed – and rename any that need renamed.
Genejoke at 3:30PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
Could it be worth starting things a little earlier to build interest? Getting admins to put regular newsposts etc.

perhaps do videos for wowio to promote it too.

How about a best anthology comic category? there are many about, I even do one. No self interest there at al, nope no siree.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
usedbooks at 5:41PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
What do you mean by “anthology” comic? I'm not familiar with the term.
DAJB at 11:39PM, Sept. 29, 2010
(online)
usedbooks
What do you mean by “anthology” comic? I'm not familiar with the term.
Anthology comics are very much the norm in the UK. Whereas US titles tend to have one story (or, these days, one fragment of one story!) a typical UK print comic will have several serials running in it, each with its own distinct characters, worlds, adventures etc. Each issue will carry another two or three pages of each story.

The longest running titles are, I think, The Beano and The Dandy which contain a series of one-page gag strips, all featuring different characters. Probably the best known outside the UK is the SciFi-themed 2000 A.D. which serialised several action/adventure strips, notably Judge Dredd and Alan Moore's Halo Jones.

Webcomics don't tend to follow this format since, if a creator wants to start a new story, he/she will usually start a new comic for it. But there are some anthology comics on the web. Rather than running several stories at the same time (as UK print comics do), they more usually run one short story and, after that's finished, they'll run another. The characters may be different, and the stories may be entirely unrelated, but they are under the same overall title.

I think it's an idea worth considering. My only reservation is whether there are enough comics of this type to justify a separate category. I suspect there aren't simply because, on the web, people do tend to start an entirely new comic for each story. Definitely worth thinking about, though.
Genejoke at 12:00AM, Sept. 30, 2010
(online)
Another way to describe it would be as a comic that is a series of short stories rather than an ongoing story, like

http://www.drunkduck.com/Shorties/index.php
http://www.drunkduck.com/Malefic_Tales/
http://www.drunkduck.com/Carnivore_Carnival/

I know there are several others though I cannot think of the titles right now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
usedbooks at 3:05AM, Sept. 30, 2010
(online)
Ah. It is a distinct type, but I also feel there are probably not enough for a good showing. Other categories were scrapped or combined for that reason.

If it pops up as a more popular format over the next year, it would be worth considering. At the moment, I'm not sure there are enough fairly decently known comics to get votes and finalists.

Maybe we'll put scrap/add category suggestions to a vote as we start into the next award season, so we can have a set date to finalize the categories. :) This can be one of those to leave up to consensus.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved