Drunk Duck Awards

2011 DD Awards Planning stages
JustNoPoint at 7:44AM, June 14, 2011
(online)
Okay, I'm going to start the prep work for this but nothing that involves setting up the site and such yet. Until the new Duck switch over we can just plan ahead.

First off I want to say that I really want to bring back the user specific awards.

Here's the list of the categories we had at last year's awards.

Best Dialogue

Best Manga

Best Website Design

Best Action Comic

Best Superhero Comic

Best Sci-Fi Comic

Best Romance Comic

Best Socio/Political Comic

Best Pixel/Sprite/Stock Image Comic

Best Photo Comic

Best Parody/Tribute Comic

Best Overall Strip Comic

Best Overall Story Comic

Most Deliciously Offensive Comic

Best Mystery/Noir Comic

Best Layouts in a Comic

Best Humor Comic

Best Horror Comic

Best Fantasy Comic

Best Community Project

Best Color Art

Best Black and White Art

Best Background Art

Best Character Design

Best 3D/Poser Comic

Best Completed Comic

Best All-Ages Comic

Best Slice-of-Life/Autobiographical Comic

Best Writing

Best Philosophical/Spiritual Comic

Best Simplified Art/Stick Figure Comic

Best Adult-Oriented Comic

Best Abstract/Random Comic

Most Improved Art

Best Anthropomorphic Comic

Best Adventure Comic

Best Protagonist

Best Antagonist

Best Lettering
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Genejoke at 7:49AM, June 14, 2011
(online)
Can you clear up what you mean by “user specific awards”?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
JustNoPoint at 7:49AM, June 14, 2011
(online)
Best lettering got very VERY little voter participation.

Have no clue if best WebSite design will be applicable anymore.

Any other suggestions? Remind me what the user specific categories were.

Most helpful
Funniest
Nicest?

I don't remember. I should look at the old awards =p

I also want people to post if they are interested in contributing artwork for this.

After we establish the categories I'll ask for the award design submissions :)

Edit: Genejoke you posted too fast I was clarifying in this past XD
Genejoke at 7:55AM, June 14, 2011
(online)
Lettering is one of those things that people who don't make comics often overlook. And many that do make them are still only passable at best. Like myself.

wasn't there one for most shameless self promoter?

Also I can help with all sorts of stuff, except html.
Genejoke at 7:56AM, June 14, 2011
(online)
Oh and will it be DD awrds ot The duck awards? or maybe just “The ducks.”
demontales at 10:52AM, June 14, 2011
(online)
I also think bringing back the user's award would be a good idea. I only remember nicest and most helpful. I think the shameless self promoter was given to the person from himself as a joke.

I think we should give another chance to best lettering. It is maybe not something most readers notice but it is a very important part of a comic.

For artwork contributed, does it have to be in colour?

Edit:

A suggestion of category. Since there is a adult comic award, maybe there could be an award for each ratings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
JustNoPoint at 11:45AM, June 14, 2011
(online)
@ names: Not sure. I think I'll just name it and you guys will find out later whether you like the name or not! Sorry, had to take a stab at Wowio there ^_^;

I guess I'm open to suggestions.

@ artwork contributions: Nope it can be done however you wish. :)
Genejoke at 11:59AM, June 14, 2011
(online)
with the adult category, well there is an all ages one too…

doing one for each seems a little unnessersary but also pretty broad, as such it may mean comics that straddle a few genres might have a chance in there…
demontales at 12:26PM, June 14, 2011
(online)
I didn't see the all age one. And yeah teen and mature are pretty broad, would probably be hard to find judging criterias.

I can't say for sure that I'll contribute artwork yet, but if my schedules doesn't get too crazy in the next weeks I'll help a bit for that.

Are the artwork contributions for the prizes presentations only or is there other needs for it that I forgot?
JustNoPoint at 1:45PM, June 14, 2011
(online)
Yeah the priority of the art will be for presenting the awards to the winners. But you'll need to know who the nominees are to make the page so you can't really work on it yet.

Art wise you can make any extras you would want. And you can help in designing the award.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Drunk_Duck_Awards_2010/
Check out the old awards to see what extras other users made.
usedbooks at 2:34PM, June 14, 2011
(online)
I'd suggest definitely checking out last year's awards and make suggestions based on that. :)

One suggestion that has been proposed is altering the finalist numbers. In previous years, the top 5 comics (based on user nominations/votes) in each category have been used as finalists. This works well in most of the categories. However, the more competitive or more broad categories had more worthy contenders that would be edged out; and more significantly, in some categories, less than five nominees received more than a couple votes, so either multi-way ties would happen or only four nominees were chosen.

So, the suggestion is to have more flexible finalist numbers to fit with the competition differences in different categories. The suggestion is to have between three and six finalists. And to not run “tie-breaker” voting rounds but instead let all the ties go to the judging panels. (More than six comics would be a heavy burden on judges, and less than three isn't viable competition, imo.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
El Cid at 5:03PM, June 14, 2011
(online)
I honestly did not expect there were going to be any awards this year, so this is a semi-pleasant surprise. I say “semi” because I'm super busy as of late and probably won't be able to contribute as much as I did last time. But I'll do as much as I can!

Um, suggestions? I think the “Best Protagonist”/“Best Antagonist” category should be switched to a more broad “Best Good Guy”/“Best Bad Guy” category. Or “Guy/Gal,” whatever. Because there are some really good bad guys who are not antagonists, like Dr. Argon from “Villain Next Door” or Doris from “Headless Cross.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
usedbooks at 5:12PM, June 14, 2011
(online)
Or “best villain” and “best hero.” I agree renaming could help the judges (and the voters) interpret those categories better.

I love the character categories myself. :) I always campaign to add “best supporting character” and “best couple” too, but I haven't gotten support for that yet. Heh. (We do have a lovely bunch of categories, as is.)
Genejoke at 10:42PM, June 14, 2011
(online)
usedbooks
Or “best villain” and “best hero.” I agree renaming could help the judges (and the voters) interpret those categories better.

I love the character categories myself. :) I always campaign to add “best supporting character” and “best couple” too, but I haven't gotten support for that yet. Heh. (We do have a lovely bunch of categories, as is.)

I was just thinking about a best supporting character award.

JustNoPoint at 5:00AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
My only issue with “Best villain” and “Best hero” is that it sounds more applicable to super hero comics. I'll be reading the old ideas thread soon and bringing those ideas here. :)
demontales at 7:08AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
Someone
My only issue with “Best villain” and “Best hero” is that it sounds more applicable to super hero comics. I'll be reading the old ideas thread soon and bringing those ideas here.

Best jerk? And best goodie or something
Call Me Tom at 7:49AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
Well I'll help in any way I can, but as I have never done anything for these things before every one will have to talk very slowly to me!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
JustNoPoint at 8:11AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
@ Call Me Tom: Don't worry. When the time comes for artwork needed we can easily explain. For right now we're just gathering our ideas. :)

Maybe we should change it to Best Main Characters? For the bad guys we can keep Best Villains? That way if a villain is a main character it won't be as confusing for voters? And most non super hero-ish comics just have antagonists as main characters too if they are not typical “bad guys”
DaWaterRat at 8:57AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
Sorry to jump in here, but I was looking forward to the Awards this year (I've even got an idea brewing about an award submission) and while I'm not sure how I can help, this line just struck me as something I had to speak up about.

JustNoPoint
My only issue with “Best villain” and “Best hero” is that it sounds more applicable to super hero comics.

I don't associate “hero” and “villain” with Superhero comics. My comic has a pretty clear group of “Heroes” and “Villains” and it's Urban Fantasy (well, right now more Fantasy than Urban), and I know I could pull a dozen more examples without really trying. Hero and Villain have a long history of being shorthand for “Protagonist” and “Antagonist”.

I do agree that Hero does not have to mean the Protagonist, and Villain does not have to mean the Antagonist, and there are plenty of stories where the antagonist is not a villain or the protagonist is not a Hero.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Genejoke at 9:10AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
So best lead character

best supporting character

best villain

that might work.
demontales at 9:30AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
@Genejoke: I agree with that
JustNoPoint at 9:57AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
@DaWaterRat: You are totally correct. I actually had the comic Used Books in mind. And a comic me and my friend were going to make at 1 point. They ave no defined “bad guys”…

I was just being safe. People kept placing the wrong characters as protagonists and antagonists in previous years. A villain is the protagonist if he is the star. I was simply afraid best hero and best villain may confuse some the same way. Just trying to be safe =p

I like Genejoke's suggestion too
DaWaterRat at 10:23AM, June 15, 2011
(online)
I like Genejoke's suggestion too. After all, at the “serious” award shows, it's best actor/actress in a Leading Role, not best actor/actress in a Heroic Role. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
itsjustaar at 1:15PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
I can't really think of anything to suggest, but I am liking the ways these look. There's been a lot of comics receiving attention now, and there's a lot of ways to win. :) I'm really looking forward to this.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 2:49PM, June 15, 2011
(offline)
MY SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW USER AWARDS:
Coolest.
Most Respected.
Dumbest.
Nerdiest.

——————————————————————————-

My things about what's been stated.

-I don't even think we have professional letterers on this site. It's just the artist or author I believe. Hell, I don't think we go through nearly as much of those jobs - penciler, inker, EDITOR, etc.

-WEBsite design sometimes includes stupid things like the templates or just not well designed original ones anyway.

-Hark got the promoter award from someone else. It wasn't, persay, “REAL”.

-My award I made was terrible. If I don't ink it terribly I might get a good one this year. Would be better if I still was in school. Would have access to Flash and Illustrator instead of shitty PSE.

-Best Hero and Best Villain would clear up things for the less intelligent, yes. But I don't see the mistake for supers being made that often…

-I will also say the idea of Genejoke was not a bad one but instead an idea that could possibly cause me to have some affection towards it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Genejoke at 4:11PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
DaWaterRat
I like Genejoke's suggestion too. After all, at the “serious” award shows, it's best actor/actress in a Leading Role, not best actor/actress in a Heroic Role. :)

Best comic character in a leading role. :)

or should it be best male comic character in a leading role and such like?
Pieguy259 at 4:29PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
Hmm. Better start updating again.

Maybe a Bridesmaid Award? For those comics that are perpetually nominated but never win?

(no I don't have a comic like that at all why do you ask)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Nicotine at 4:30PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
Maybe just Best Female Lead, Best Male Lead, Best Supporting Female, and Best Supporting Male would suffice?

And also Best Villain, too? I don't know if you'd need a Best Hero, because the hero would be one of the Best Female/Male leads anyway, right? But I suppose you could make that argument for the villain. xD I suppose it all depends on what everyone wants out of the next awards, the more the merrier or something that's a lot like real awards. If we're going by “real award” standards, there would be no Best Villain or Hero really, there would just be Best Lead (Actress/Actor), ect.

I'm in support of Best Couple, I wonder why we never had it. After all, some real awards have similar awards as that.

And I judged Best Lettering last year. I don't really know if it's worth keeping, as stated before I don't think there are many people here that are really hardcore about their lettering skills, lol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
PaulEberhartd at 4:44PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
I'll contribute art any time. If nothing unexpected gets in the way, that is.

I'd like to mention that we should be careful not to set up too many or redundant categories. If users get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff to vote for they might stop voting in the middle, not even vote at all or they get confused, make erratic votes and later complain about the accordingly erratic results. Many users are of course more intelligent than that, but this is not just a question of intelligence, is it?

I don't wish to suggest that we should take away this category or the other, but we could look for ways to bundle them into groups or something.

Also I suggest a category like “worst puns”, so that the list doesn't just read best this, best that, best etc.. You know, to keep up the voters' attention when they scroll through it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
usedbooks at 5:09PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
I like Genejoke's character category suggestions. I think they cover the want for character awards and don't make it too specific or general. What we name things is important, because it affects how judges interpret the categories.

I will put in a vote against Nicotine's suggestion to separate female and male characters. Seems superfluous to me. There doesn't seem to be a gender bias on DD. And I think they are covered by general categories. Just as best couple could cover all kinds of relationships, whether between men, women, both, inanimate objects, or whatever else is in the DD empire.

BTW, last year, the main argument against best couple was that “best romance” covers it. But personally, I don't think the best romance comics necessarily contain the best couples nor are the best couples necessarily in romance comics. We leave the decision, as always, to general consensus.

Categories I think should go: Lettering and site design

Both are good in theory, but the results last year were terrible. The site design finalists were mostly using default themes or minor customizaton, and there are just so few to get votes at all. Lettering is awesome when a person really does it well, but well-hand-lettered comics are VERY few on DD. In fact, ALL of the finalists last year used computer fonts, so judging was based on font selection and speech balloon placement (which isn't really the intention of a lettering award, imo.)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved