Drunk Duck Awards

2011 DD Awards Planning stages
DaWaterRat at 5:18PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
Ouch. I just counted and there were 39 categories last year. Maybe on the voting site they can be grouped, or something. That might help everyone remember to vote for everything. I remember when I went to look at the voting site last year, I at first thought there was no 3D/Poser category, and I had to go back and scroll down to see it.

I think that just Best Lead Character and Best Supporting Character (possibly and Best Villain) would be fine. Since I watch the Oscars borderline obsessively, I've noticed that a lot of times Best Supporting will go to a really good antagonist as much as a secondary protagonist.

Best Couple has merit in my mind, if only because I tend not to read anything categorized as “romance” but I like a good romantic sub-plot.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
usedbooks at 5:24PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
I don't wish to suggest that we should take away this category or the other, but we could look for ways to bundle them into groups or something.

Yeah, we always work on that balance. It doesn't always work out too well at judging when we try to group and broaden. It can be like comparing apples and oranges. For example we usually combine slice-of-life and autobiographical. They are quite distinct but neither would have enough competition on its own. We also combine noir, mystery, and crime drama. Similar yes, but a judge might vote down an “actiony” crime story because it isn't dark or mysterious. (Judging is of a work's individual merit, but the category cones into play too. Which is why we have to consider the names we use for categories.)

I'll also add for anyone new to the awards that all judging, except for the “completed” category, is of material created since the last awards. So it's all new stuff, regardless of the age of the comic. (Established works will get more votes, but they are on equal ground for the judging panels.)

Oh and I think Sectioning the ballot is a really good idea. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Nicotine at 5:33PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
usedbooks
I like Genejoke's character category suggestions. I think they cover the want for character awards and don't make it too specific or general. What we name things is important, because it affects how judges interpret the categories.

I will put in a vote against Nicotine's suggestion to separate female and male characters. Seems superfluous to me. There doesn't seem to be a gender bias on DD. And I think they are covered by general categories. Just as best couple could cover all kinds of relationships, whether between men, women, both, inanimate objects, or whatever else is in the DD empire.

That's fair, I mainly mentioned that because real awards are usually separated that way, I know there isn't a gender bias ^^;.

It seems that people (at least the ones replying now) are worried more about consolidating the seperating, so if people want Best Lead, Best Supporting, and Best Villain, I think that makes sense to and is fair.
DaWaterRat
Ouch. I just counted and there were 39 categories last year. Maybe on the voting site they can be grouped, or something. That might help everyone remember to vote for everything. I remember when I went to look at the voting site last year, I at first thought there was no 3D/Poser category, and I had to go back and scroll down to see it.

That is quite a lot. When you mentioned grouping, I was actually thinking more of the ballot. To make things easier, the ballot can be separated into different sections, like “Writing” which would include “Best Writing”, “Best Dialogue”, ect; “Design” would have maybe “Best Layout”, “Best Color”, ect; “DD'er Awards” would have all the DD user awards. Of course the categories don't have to be named those things, but I'm sure you get my idea.

I just was thinking as well, I judged both “Best Writing” and “Best Dialogue” last year, and found myself saying some of the same sort of things for both for comics that were nominated in both categories, there is a lot of overlap there. I think “Best Dialogue” can be removed. I mean, if you've got good dialogue chances are your comic is well written xD. Not *all* the time (the winners weren't the same last year), but I still think you can do without “Best Dialogue”.

Additionally, can't “Best Socio/Political” and “Best Spiritual/Philosophical” be consolidated into “Best Sociological”? Politics, religion, and philosophy are all under Sociology.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
darrell at 7:32PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
It seems my thoughts have been covered but if it matters I'd say lose the lettering and site design. I almost hate to lose the lettering as I find it very important for comic creators to learn more about lettering but it just doesn't seem to work out in the awards section.

And I'm for bringing back the user awards (most helpful, funniest,…). It gives the community a chance to recognize a user who makes the site better.

I'm really looking forward to the awards again this year. I always find great new comics (new to me at least) I hadn't heard about.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
JazylH at 8:47PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
WOW! I'm guessing this times gonna be the biggest DD AWards Ever! I so can't wait for the nominations to start.

I have to agree on removing the Best Lettering Category though I do think site design should still be aa part of the awards as some people really invest their time in creating these layouts & it's not exactly easy. Just my two cents tho.

Love the idea of Best Hero, Villain & Supporting character.

Updated Mondays & Fridays
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
rmccool at 9:18PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
I like the idea of a user award like most helpful.. or most faithful/supportive reader for lack of better wording.. we have some really great readers whom comment on 100s of comics.. who read daily.. he give good feed back.. and it would be nice to have a reader appreciation award.. on the flip side hard to judge… such a category other then just count the numbers…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
usedbooks at 10:28PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
There was a “most supportive” award in 2009. ;) User awards are not judged (or at least they haven't been). In the past, they were simply the ones that had the most votes.
MrHades at 1:26AM, June 16, 2011
(online)
I'll do an awards page (like last year)
Hey, why not follow me on Twitter? User name: @THE_MrHades
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
Genejoke at 5:35AM, June 16, 2011
(online)
I regards to the awards comic pages and polls.

Will it be best to set it up before the change? just thinking of the html situation, how will that work the voting forms and such like? Or perhaps it should be done off site.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
JustNoPoint at 9:25AM, June 16, 2011
(online)
The Poll and the judging forums are done offsite. I'm hoping in the future Wowio can give us the tools we need to make this all possible on The Duck with something that can appear on everyone's comic sites for voting.

I'll see if I can do something to the voting polls to separate categories.
I didn't make it so I can't promise anything.

I like the idea of combining “Best Socio/Political” and “Best Spiritual/Philosophical” into “Best Sociological”

I'm going to go read the feedback from last year and will post a better reply today. Thanks for all the feedback so far. Keep it churning. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Macattack at 9:31AM, June 16, 2011
(online)
usedbooks
I love the character categories myself. :) I always campaign to add “best supporting character” and “best couple” too, but I haven't gotten support for that yet. Heh. (We do have a lovely bunch of categories, as is.)

Usedbooks you have support =) I like Genejoke's suggestions too. Can't wait for these awards again! Loved them all last year
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
JustNoPoint at 4:13PM, June 16, 2011
(online)
Nicotine from last year
I actually thought of best character design as the way the characters look not act. That's how I and the other two judges I was with seemed to see it. So maybe a name change to the category? Best Character Design and Developement?

El Cid
I really liked the idea of letting people do little mini-comics and extras, but there haven't been nearly enough of ‘em submitted so far (I know, they can still submit for like another week). If there’s one thing I could suggest for next year, it'd be finding some kind of way to better orchestrate that “extra” aspect of the show. Without the extras, what you end up with is like the MTV Video Music Awards without all the performances and funny skits between award presentations.

Having open submissions like you did this year is a good idea, but that can also work against you. Some artists are going to assume that, because anyone can submit anything, that there must already be tons of people submitting stuff, so they don't feel pressured to submit anything themselves. So next year it might help to personally contact some people and try to twist their arm into contributing original material for the show.
JustNoPoint
Another “bad” thing about the extras is that I really have to wait till all presentations are set in stone. Presentations have to be priority and it'd be a bit unnerving if ppl kept submitting extras instead of making the main courses.

Or at least that was something I worried about this year. I had the idea for extras really early on but didn't want to announce them till I had the presentations.

fukujinzuke
And though there's a DD Awards forum already, I think looking for potential participants in the community projects forum might be appropriate.
That's not a bad idea. Making the announcements in the Awards forum but linking to the Community Projects forum for the LEGIT sign ins.

Input on the above from last year?

Also we can only feature the awards ONCE. When should they be featured? During voting or during the awards themselves? May not be an issue if they can allow features more than once under “The Duck”

Also voting rules
RULES/GUIDELINES:
~One ballot per person.
~No voting for yourself.
~Drunkduck hosted (or mirrored) comics only.
~Comics must be actively updating or completed within the last year.
~You may enter a comic in more than one category.
~You don't have to fill out every category.
~You can come back and edit your votes later.

Do we want a group to help filter out the top 10 or so comics? So we make sure the comics actually fit the categories?

Do we want to allow more than 5 nominations if applicable due to ties? Means more for judges to read >_<
Nicotine at 4:44PM, June 16, 2011
(online)
JustNoPoint
Nicotine from last year
I actually thought of best character design as the way the characters look not act. That's how I and the other two judges I was with seemed to see it. So maybe a name change to the category? Best Character Design and Developement?

I was actually going to bring this up again, but I forgot to xD. I still stand by this; with the “Best Character Design” name, one can assume that the looks of the characters is what's being talked about, but “design” can also mean (at least to me) how they progress. I remember personally judging both things.

JustNoPoint
El Cid
Or at least that was something I worried about this year. I had the idea for extras really early on but didn't want to announce them till I had the presentations.

Or, maybe you could strong-arm people? Say “You can submit extras but no extras will be posted until all presentations are submitted”. xD Okay, maybe not. But I did enjoy the extras, so I hope they have a place this year.

Of course, if they allow double features, it should be at both times, but I think during voting take precedence because people will know when to vote. That way, when the awards are being posted there aren't a whole bunch of people going “Wha? I had no clue this was going on! I would have voted! D:”

JustNoPoint
Also voting rules
RULES/GUIDELINES:
~One ballot per person.
~No voting for yourself.
~Drunkduck hosted (or mirrored) comics only.
~Comics must be actively updating or completed within the last year.
~You may enter a comic in more than one category.
~You don't have to fill out every category.
~You can come back and edit your votes later.

Do we want a group to help filter out the top 10 or so comics? So we make sure the comics actually fit the categories?

Do we want to allow more than 5 nominations if applicable due to ties? Means more for judges to read >_<

I think there should be filtering for obvious things. I remember this leading to a huge debate/argument/whatever last year that got a little personal, but I can't see why because I think it's quite cut-and-dry to remove a color comic from the “Best Black and White” if necessary. Also, if something is obviously realism, it doesn't need to be in the manga category, it's as simple as that. There doesn't need to be judges' desecration for that, it's a waste of time.

As for ties, I like the tie-breakers that went on last year. Some may argue that it's a bit of a popularity contest to do that, but the DD awards are a bit of a popularity contest ^^;. Five comics is more than enough to judge, trust me. Especially if you have a category with like three comics that have 300+ pages. @_@
JustNoPoint at 7:16PM, June 16, 2011
(online)
Nicotine
I think there should be filtering for obvious things. I remember this leading to a huge debate/argument/whatever last year that got a little personal, but I can't see why because I think it's quite cut-and-dry to remove a color comic from the “Best Black and White” if necessary. Also, if something is obviously realism, it doesn't need to be in the manga category, it's as simple as that. There doesn't need to be judges' desecration for that, it's a waste of time.
Last year I tried to filter them out but I was kinda rushing and a few slipped by. Obviously I'll try to be a LOT more careful this year as to not repeat the same thing. I was just wondering if users would also like to have 1 or 2 other people looking through my list of nominees in case I DID screw up again.

Though I kinda doubt I will. Last year's debacle taught me a bit of a lesson ^_^;

But then again it you can never be too safe :P
Abt_Nihil at 5:29AM, June 17, 2011
(offline)
Nicotine
Maybe just Best Female Lead, Best Male Lead, Best Supporting Female, and Best Supporting Male would suffice?
I gravitate towards THIS. Because best lead and best villain can conflate, in case the villain's the hero. That is, villains would have twice the chance that heroes get :-) (As usedbooks has pointed out, gender separation seems superfluous though.) “Best villain” is probably more of a fun category, and it's pretty restrictive. “Anti-hero” is more inclusive, but it might make things unnecessary complicated, having to decide whether someone's an anti-hero or not. So, best villain it is. (Just thinking aloud here :P)

Nicotine
And I judged Best Lettering last year. I don't really know if it's worth keeping, as stated before I don't think there are many people here that are really hardcore about their lettering skills, lol.
Again, I agree. It wouldn't hurt keeping this category, since there ARE visible differences in lettering quality across dd comics. But abandoning this category wouldn't hurt much either, since lettering doesn't receive a lot of attention.

usedbooks
Lettering is awesome when a person really does it well, but well-hand-lettered comics are VERY few on DD. In fact, ALL of the finalists last year used computer fonts, so judging was based on font selection and speech balloon placement (which isn't really the intention of a lettering award, imo.)
I have to disagree. I believe that lettering is a storytelling aspect, not an aesthetic aspect. While I certainly appreciate handlettering, it isn't the most important point of a “best lettering” category, I believe. The most important point is how the lettering serves storytelling - the reading experience.

JustNoPoint
I like the idea of combining “Best Socio/Political” and “Best Spiritual/Philosophical” into “Best Sociological”
Could you give me some reasons why? Because I don't see this at all. I'm not against combining these categories per se, but not into a “sociological” category, please ^^; I believe socio/political makes sense because they're both concerned with society, but that doesn't make politics sociological. And spiritual/philosophical is even further removed from sociological. I think the general point behind these categories would be something like reflective depth and theoretical and/or metaphysical richness and relevance, and the linguistic/literary abilities on the writer's part that go with it. If you ask someone about how “deep” a certain story is, most people would intuitively give a relevant answer here, I believe.

EDIT:
I saw it was Nicotine who brought it up:
Nicotine
Additionally, can't “Best Socio/Political” and “Best Spiritual/Philosophical” be consolidated into “Best Sociological”? Politics, religion, and philosophy are all under Sociology.
Are you a sociologist who seeks to expand her authority? :P I've studied philosophy, sociology and psychology, and I can't see how this could be possibly true.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Nicotine at 7:28AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
Abt_Nihil
I saw it was Nicotine who brought it up:
Nicotine
Are you a sociologist who seeks to expand her authority? :P I've studied philosophy, sociology and psychology, and I can't see how this could be possibly true.

Um, no. I'm studying politics, actually. And part of studying politics requires studying philosophy, sociology, psychology, and sometimes even religion as well, so I don't think I'm completely in the dark about the subject.

Merriam-Webster entry for sociology
the science of society, social institutions, and social relationships; specifically : the systematic study of the development, structure, interaction, and collective behavior of organized groups of human beings

(from here)

…which can include politics, philosophy, and psychology. I realize these studies aren't exactly the same, but they're in the same family and it wouldn't hurt to give one award for them. Mystery, Noir, and Crime are not the same, but there is only one reward for them where there used to be two.

Perhaps "Best Sociological“ isn't a good name and it should maybe be ”Best Sociology-Related", but I'm failing to see why those two awards can be meshed into one. If you look at last year's nominees list, some of the same comics were nominated for both.
usedbooks at 7:43AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
JustNoPoint
Could you give me some reasons why? Because I don't see this at all. I'm not against combining these categories per se, but not into a “sociological” category, please ^^; I believe socio/political makes sense because they're both concerned with society, but that doesn't make politics sociological. And spiritual/philosophical is even further removed from sociological. I think the general point behind these categories would be something like reflective depth and theoretical and/or metaphysical richness and relevance, and the linguistic/literary abilities on the writer's part that go with it. If you ask someone about how “deep” a certain story is, most people would intuitively give a relevant answer here
I think combining here is a good idea. – And my reasoning is that of practice, not theory. The reason is that there was overlap last year, quite a bit in fact. Also, much of the judging in each category was based on the same criteria and spirit. Judges in both categories considered the psychological and emotional impact and handling, and whether the comics made you think, were preachy, or whatever. Of course, these are separate categories in theory, but when it comes to webcomics, they end up very comparable in the judging circle. As for a name, how about Best Psychological/Political? Or best Political/Philosophical?

As for removal of site design and lettering, again my stance on that is not one of the idea of them, but of past results. The comics voted in those categories were, for the most part, NOT the best examples on DD. Many of them were simply the ones getting “default” votes in general categories (maybe from readers who could think of no other comics). Judges were not judging the good site designs or masters of speech layout and font. They were judging many comics that were mediocre in those respects – or high quality, but not top (great comics to be sure, but not the best masters of those categories).

Plus, it still feels like balloon placement falls under comic layout (especially from a reader's perspective), but that's a minor point.
Abt_Nihil at 8:34AM, June 17, 2011
(offline)
Nicotine & Usedbooks: Don't get me wrong - I completely agree with your practical points. I'm all for combining the “best spiritual/philosophical” and “socio/political”. I'm just heavily opposed against combining them under a sociology banner - for both practical and theoretical reasons:

Practically, people will just read “sociological” and answer according to their intuitions about sociology. And I don't think they should be made to think about their intuitions about sociology, but about - just as usedbooks pointed out (and, if you read my last post, as I also did, talking about depth and such) - “the psychological and emotional impact and handling, and whether the comics made you think, were preachy, or whatever”.

And theoretically: It is true that sociology can have the research objects Nicotine mentioned. Sociology can even have entire fields or disciplines (such as philosophy and politics) as objects of research. But to be an actual or potential research object for sociology doesn't make it sociological. (Philosophy is an even broader discipline in this respect - it potentially incorporates everything -, and since sociology, psychology and the natural sciences sprung from philosophy, it puzzles me quite a bit that sociology should now incoprorate philosophy.) What really lends sociology its distinct identity from the other fields in question is its methodology, its interests of research, and the theories that have arisen in this discipline. If any comic were to reflect any of these, then and only then would it be “sociological”, but (by this characteristic alone) certainly not political, philosophical, or what have you.

Nicotine
I'm studying politics, actually. And part of studying politics requires studying philosophy, sociology, psychology, and sometimes even religion as well, so I don't think I'm completely in the dark about the subject.
Sorry, I made a mistake in bringing this discussion to a personal level. I acknowledge your authority on this topic, that's why I'm discussing it with you.
usedbooks at 8:58AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
I don't think it's productive to discuss the nature of sociology in this thread. I have a sociology minor too, and yes, I understand what it covers.

However, this thread is really not the place to discuss it. Education is great when it gives us understanding of neat terminology, but it can create a language barrier with the general populous. I'm sure sociology can cover the topic, but it has different connotations to general population, who may see it as a simply academic and dry term.

So, let's not have a debate about the disciplines. :P If we agree to combine, we need only choose a NAME (that voters and judges can interpret similarly). Any more naming suggestions?
Nicotine at 9:08AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
usedbooks
I don't think it's productive to discuss the nature of sociology in this thread. I have a sociology minor too, and yes, I understand what it covers.

However, this thread is really not the place to discuss it. Education is great when it gives us understanding of neat terminology, but it can create a language barrier with the general populous. I'm sure sociology covers the topic, but it has different connotations to general population. They see it and think it's academic and dry (those who study it might associate it with depth and emotion, but it is not generally seen that way).

So, let's not have a debate about the disciplines. :P If we agree to combine, we need only choose a NAME (that voters and judges can interpret similarly). Any more naming suggestions for the, um, make-you-think comics?

Right, comic makers and readers don't care about which felt is more quantitative than the other or what the research methods are, they just see them as “make-you-think” categories.

The rub is trying to figure out a name for the category that everyone is happy with. I said “Best Socialogy-Related” but that sounds choppy. Actually, “Best Sociological/Political” might work, I dunno.
Abt_Nihil at 9:23AM, June 17, 2011
(offline)
Nicotine
The rub is trying to figure out a name for the category that everyone is happy with. I said “Best Socialogy-Related” but that sounds choppy. Actually, “Best Sociological/Political” might work, I dunno.
Why not best philosophical/political? As you pointed out, the (at least intuitive) connection between sociological and political is far easier made, so we need just one of the two terms. But neither sociological nor political implies philosophical, whereas “philosophical” implies (=makes you think about) “spiritual”.

So, a “philosophical/political” category should make you think about all four fields at once, right?
Nicotine at 9:36AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
Abt_Nihil
Nicotine
Why not best philosophical/political? As you pointed out, the (at least intuitive) connection between sociological and political is far easier made, so we need just one of the two terms. But neither sociological nor political implies philosophical, whereas “philosophical” implies (=makes you think about) “spiritual”.

So, a “philosophical/political” category should make you think about all four fields at once, right?

That's a great compromise :D
Genejoke at 9:42AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
Someone
As for removal of site design and lettering, again my stance on that is not one of the idea of them, but of past results. The comics voted in those categories were, for the most part, NOT the best examples on DD. Many of them were simply the ones getting “default” votes in general categories (maybe from readers who could think of no other comics). Judges were not judging the good site designs or masters of speech layout and font. They were judging many comics that were mediocre in those respects – or high quality, but not top (great comics to be sure, but not the best masters of those categories).

Isn't that true of all categories to some degree? Sorry just nit picking. I think those could be combined into best presentation or something.

As for socialogicallypolicallytheolspirituallitynessatghonathingymy… yeah I agree that combining it is a good idea. As for the name, I think I just nailed it. :D

I'm tied between Abts and Nicotines.

EDIT.
I just sawe nicotines latest post.

Abt_Nihil at 9:53AM, June 17, 2011
(offline)
Nicotine
That's a great compromise :D
Yay! :3

Genejoke
Someone

Isn't that true of all categories to some degree? Sorry just nit picking. I think those could be combined into best presentation or something.
We should think about that, but let's not rashly conflate different categories. Lettering and web design are quite distinct. I'd say we should rather drop them than attempt to arbitrarily combine them.

Asking the judges from the past years, are there categories which are notorious for receiving mostly “default votes” besides lettering and web design? I think in these cases there are two options: Strengthening the judges' authority on deciding these, or dropping them altogether.
usedbooks at 10:06AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
Well, it's a little different for those categories. While the most viewed comics get votes in a lot of categories, they were dropped from the non- applicable ones, and for the other categories with strong contenders, another finalist was added that was deemed (by the votes) to be a candidate. However, for site design and lettering, there were no clear 6th place contenders. Just tons of either one or two vote comics or comics using unedited templates (for the site design).

So it seems, by the numbers, that voters either don't understand those categories or aren't interested in them, at least not enough to get clear and valid finalists. OR the comic creators are not campaigning or caring about those categories. Maybe both. When so few votes occur for a category, I think it needs to be dropped, renamed, combined, or something. (And in this case, no, not combining them. Those categories have nothing to do with each other! Lettering is related to comic layout but not to site design. That would turn it into more of a who-gives-a-damn-here's-another-vote-for-my-favorite-comic award.)
Genejoke at 10:12AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
Others had already mentioned dropping them so it seems like one option. Just throwing it out there. The bit about nominees not being the best examples came from used books, I just expanded that it can be true of all categories. I know exactly what used books was getting at but I felt the need to shoot down that argument as we can't really worry about what people vote for so much as trying to weed them out at a later stage.

Best website design was a prime example last year, the eventual winner wasn't one of the original nominees and only got in after the judges disqualified one for using a DD template.

Should they be combined? probably not as best website design does work well on it's ownw. Lettering though… maybe it could be combined with layouts or something. Just throwing ideas out there.
Genejoke at 10:16AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
Someone
OR the comic creators are not campaigning or caring about those categories. Maybe both. When so few votes occur for a category, I think it needs to be dropped, renamed, combined, or something.

yeah, few creators of comics that I read actively campaign for nominations. By encouraging this we may get more votes overall. Most sit there hoping someone will vote for them but do nothing to encourage it.
usedbooks at 10:28AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
Well, since we haven't set a calendar yet, there's time to inlude “campaigning” as an official part of the awards, by uploading “for your consideration” images to the official awards site (in the couple weeks prior to voting and maybe during the voting time – although that could be dodgy). Of course, people can do that on their own comics (up to and during voting) but if they are at the official awards site, undecided voters (and potential new readers) can find them more easily.

We would need two things done prior to that. 1. Have the awards comic/site up. (Any volunteers to design it?) and 2. Have this year's categories finalized. (We should set a date for that, so people are encouraged to get all their two cents in and agree.

EDIT

Oh and people can campaign for their favorites too! Such as “These comics are awesome! I'm voting for them in these categories. You should too!”
Nicotine at 10:28AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
I think it's easiest to nix “Best Website Design”. I judged it the year before last, and it is one of the least competitive categories (besides “Best Lettering” ).

I think perhaps “Best Lettering”, “Best Layouts” and “Best Backgrounds” can be consolidated into “Best Page Presentation”. That will include everything that goes into making a page look great, besides color or black and white which obviously have their own categories. I judged “Best Backgrounds” last year, and it seemed really silly to look at something like that without taking the layout of the page and placement of bubbles, ect into consideration as well.
Genejoke at 10:35AM, June 17, 2011
(online)
I think the competition on best website design was fairly strong last year, ignoring the disqualified entry and one of the massively popular comics. The downside is that with the duck change over coming, well it could well be completely redundant next year.

Someone
I think perhaps “Best Lettering”, “Best Layouts” and “Best Backgrounds” can be consolidated into “Best Page Presentation”. That will include everything that goes into making a page look great, besides color or black and white which obviously have their own categories.

this is sort of what I was trying to get at earlier (and failed i guess)

Someone
Oh and people can campaign for their favorites too! Such as “These comics are awesome! I'm voting for them in these categories. You should too!”

so a thread for nominating nominees. Is that what you're suggesting?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved