Drunk Duck Awards

2011 DD Awards Planning stages
Genejoke at 1:58AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
the most improved art covers all aspects of the art. most improved writer… not sure how easy that will be to judge but it's an idea.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Nicotine at 3:14AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
ledpusha
best western category?

If I remember correctly, a few years ago there was one, but it was removed. I don't know why, maybe because it wasn't very popular.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
Genejoke at 3:33AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I can't think of many western comics. Assuming it means western as in cowboys and such not western made as in not manga.
Abt_Nihil at 3:42AM, June 19, 2011
(offline)
Genejoke
I can't think of many western comics. Assuming it means western as in cowboys and such not western made as in not manga.
For obvious reasons I'd totally encourage a “best sci-fi western” category :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Nicotine at 3:53AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
If I have this straight, we now have/are contemplating these categories. If I counted correctly, this new still has 39 awards, including the category of “User Awards”, but not including the various user awards themselves.

I think “Best Action” and “Best Adventure” can be consolidated, but I'm sure no one will agree. :P

*=Old category, different name
**=New Category

Best 3D/Poser Comic

Best Action Comic

Best Abstract/Random Comic

Best Adventure Comic

Best Adult-Oriented Comic

Best All-Ages Comic

Best Anthropomorphic Comic

Best Background Art

Best Character Design

**Best Comic Presentation (Lettering+Layouts and all the bells and whistles that go with it; I don't remember if we agreed to call it this)

Best Community Project (If I remember correctly, we decided last year the the DD Awards cannot be a contender for this)

Best Completed Comic

**Best Couple/Duo

Best Dialogue

Best Fantasy Comic

Best Horror Comic

Best Humor Comic

**Best Lead Character

Best Manga

Best Mystery/Noir Comic

Best Parody/Tribute Comic

**Best Philosophical/Political Comic

Best Photo Comic

Best Pixel/Sprite/Stock Image Comic

Best Overall Story Comic

Best Overall Strip Comic

Best Romance Comic

Best Sci-Fi Comic

Best Simplified Art/Stick Figure Comic

Best Slice-of-Life/Autobiographical Comic

Best Superhero Comic

**Best Supporting Character

*Best Use of Color

*Best Use of Black and White

**Best Villan

Best Writing

Most Deliciously Offensive Comic

Most Improved Art

*User Awards (which are apparently being brought back, I don't know if it's been decided which user awards there are)
usedbooks at 4:43AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Layouts include the lettering, imo. “Presentation” is not as descriptive or clear a word as “layouts,” and I know as a judge or voter, I wouldn't know what the heck it meant. If it must be renamed, it should be called layouts and lettering (although I think layouts suffice; and is more meaningful and specific, imo) Anyway, I'll take Nicotine's list and break it into subheadings for my own sanity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

General Awards

Best 3D/Poser Comic
Best Action Comic
Best Adventure Comic
Best All-Ages Comic
Best Community Project
Best Fantasy Comic
Best Horror Comic
Best Humor Comic
Best Manga
*Best Mystery/Crime/Noir Comic
Best Photo Comic
Best Romance Comic
Best Sci-Fi Comic
Best Superhero Comic

Art Awards

*Best Use of Color
*Best Use of B&W
Most Improved Art
Best Background Art
Best Character Design
Best Layouts

Writing Awards

Best Writing
Best Dialogue
*Best Lead Character
*Best Villain
**Best Couple/Duo

User Awards (ported over from 2009)

Nicest User
Funniest User
Most Helpful User
Most Supportive Reader

The Big Ones

Best Completed Comic
Best Overall Story Comic
Best Overall Strip Comic

~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~Spiritual/Philosophical combined with political.

~Best Supporting Character and Best Couple/Duo added.

~Tweaked the name for “Mystery/Crime/Noir” category. In 2009 it was shortened (unintentionally) to Mystery/Crime and in 2010 to Mystery/Noir (again not deliberately; it just got truncated on the ballots and then everything else), but the idea for the category was to combine all those things. They are related but also distinct, and it can affect judging.

~Other renamings (already discussed in the thread) done for clarity and judging nuances Protagonist–Lead Character, Antagonist–Villain, Color Comic–Use of color, B&W Comic–Use of B&W.

~~There was a suggestion to combine “writing” with “dialogue.”

~~Lettering was removed (to combine with layouts)

~~Best Website Design is tentative – as the new Duck site might provide templates only.

~~Suggested additions for User Awards? (Remember that they are not judged by panels,only votes)

~~I'm personally pushing for subheadings/topics (as shown here). They make some sense of it, imo. And would help the voting process. Some voters might opt to skip to just voting for best overall and not fill in random comics for categories.

~Maybe stick the “mosts” in the center of the lists to break up all the “bests” ;)

(If I forgot any of the changes/additions/removals suggested in the thread, please add it.)

Any thoughts on these? Change or no?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone
the most improved art covers all aspects of the art. most improved writer… not sure how easy that will be to judge but it's an idea.
Yeah. I don't think that's easy to judge. It does happen in some cases, but it's usually more subtle, and readers/voters/judges would have a hard time picking up on it.

Someone
best western category?
Yes, it was removed because there simply were not enough nominees. It couldn't be judged. Categories have both the theoretical relevance (Is this a distinct genre or skill that warrants an award and is it not represented by another category?) and practical relevance (Are their enough good candidates on DD to make the contest for this award worthwhile? Is it something easy to interpret by voters and judges? Can it be judged?)

So, for westerns, there simply wasn't enough competition for the category. And nothing logical to combine it with. (So they'd end up with general action or adventure – or in some cases sci-fi comics.)

Someone
I think “Best Action” and “Best Adventure” can be consolidated, but I'm sure no one will agree. :P
Actually, before we didn't have a best action comic. We had “Best Action Scenes” (along with “Best Tense Scenes), but those were dropped. We added best action comic (but not best drama, as dramas tend to have other categories they fit under). It was suggested to combine Action and Adventure before – however, there are plenty of nominees for each, and each are notably distinct. Action comics contain tons of fighting (maybe chase scenes or war). Adventure comics might have no fighting or chases whatsoever. They are usually more about a mission, goal, or quest. They contain some action but certainly not at the level of an ”action comic."

There is overlap, but in this case, there are definitely enough candidates to keep them as two categories.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Nicotine at 5:43AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
usedbooks
Layouts include the lettering, imo. “Presentation” is not as descriptive or clear a word as “layouts,” and I know as a judge or voter, I wouldn't know what the heck it meant. If it must be renamed, it should be called layouts and lettering (although I think layouts suffice; and is more meaningful and specific, imo)

That's fine, I just put a name there because I didn't remember what everyone decided.

usedbooks
~~There was a suggestion to combine “writing” with “dialogue.”

That was me, and I still stick by that. Maybe “Best Writing/Dialogue”

usedbooks
~~I'm personally pushing for subheadings/topics (as shown here). They make some sense of it, imo. And would help the voting process. Some voters might opt to skip to just voting for best overall and not fill in random comics for categories.

I think everyone agrees with that, I just didn't organize them because I didn't want to be the one to decide where everything goes.

usedbooks
~Maybe stick the “mosts” in the center of the lists to break up all the “bests” ;)

I don't agree, I feel like lists should always be alphabetized. Also, as the ballots can be edited/filled out over a period of time, people may want to quickly and easily find the categories they're looking for and come back to them. I can't stand when things are not in alpha order, but then again I'm a very type a person xD

usedbooks
Someone
best western category?
Yes, it was removed because there simply were not enough nominees. It couldn't be judged. Categories have both the theoretical relevance (Is this a distinct genre or skill that warrants an award and is it not represented by another category?) and practical relevance (Are their enough good candidates on DD to make the contest for this award worthwhile? Is it something easy to interpret by voters and judges? Can it be judged?)

So, for westerns, there simply wasn't enough competition for the category. And nothing logical to combine it with. (So they'd end up with general action or adventure – or in some cases sci-fi comics.)

I wouldn't mind putting Western with Sci-fi ( they're right by each other in the library where I work too! xD). But, I can't even think of one western comic on this site, I mean, I bet they're out there but would they even show up in the awards? I dunno.

usedbooks
Someone
Actually, before we didn't have a best action comic. We had “Best Action Scenes” (along with “Best Tense Scenes), but those were dropped. We added best action comic (but not best drama, as dramas tend to have other categories they fit under). It was suggested to combine Action and Adventure before – however, there are plenty of nominees for each, and each are notably distinct. Action comics contain tons of fighting (maybe chase scenes or war). Adventure comics might have no fighting or chases whatsoever. They are usually more about a mission, goal, or quest. They contain some action but certainly not at the level of an ”action comic."

There is overlap, but in this case, there are definitely enough candidates to keep them as two categories.

There is a difference, I know. I'm just trying to see what can be combined to make this list a little shorter
Genejoke at 6:12AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Writing and dialogue should be separate, if anything we could do with more categories that revolve around writing not less.
usedbooks at 6:16AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Nicotine
I wouldn't mind putting Western with Sci-fi ( they're right by each other in the library where I work too! xD). But, I can't even think of one western comic on this site, I mean, I bet they're out there but would they even show up in the awards? I dunno.
I don't think that works out well. They are very unrelated categories, imo, and lumping them together would create terrible issues in judging. Some westerns might also be sci-fi, some aren't. In this case, I think it would be best to simply not have the western category, and let westerns (along with any other non-addressed underrepresented genre) seek nominations in the category most fitting to their plot.

If we had a good number of notable western comics on the site, they'd have their own category. The same goes for war comics, medieval comics, pirate comics, etc. (There are a lot of comics that have a “genre” like that.) For now, they'll have to fit in with a broader genre that is relevant to their specific story.

Genejoke
Writing and dialogue should be separate, if anything we could do with more categories that revolve around writing not less.
I agree. (It was my idea to separate them to begin with. XD)

Writing is often confused with dialogue, which was one reason I wanted them separate. “Writing” could be to broad a term, though. Maybe a name tweaking is called for? “Best Plotting?” “Best Plot Writing?” “Best Story Development?”
Nicotine at 6:16AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Genejoke

Like what? I do sort of agree though, the Writing category is looking sparse.

It depends on how small or grandiose we want the awards. “Less is More” vs “The More the Merrier”

If we want “Less is More” we don't need to be adding anymore categories, and I'll assume that everything will be posted and presented over 7 days like last year.

If we want “The More the Merrier”, then we can think of more categories, and also maybe post the result by sub-group over perhaps a two week period.
usedbooks at 6:25AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Nicotine
If we want “Less is More” we don't need to be adding anymore categories, and I'll assume that everything will be posted and presented over 7 days like last year.

If we want “The More the Merrier”, then we can think of more categories, and also maybe post the result by sub-group over perhaps a two week period.
We don't want either of those things. ;) We want good categories that represent the variety and talent on DD without being redundant or extraneous. The subheadings are to organize what we already have (especially for the ballot) not be an excuse to add more. We shouldn't see it that way.

And we have good categories from our trial and error over the past few years. We are fine-tuning them at this point.
Genejoke at 6:43AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I do agree with the points about what writing categories and whether we should add any at all. they should only be added if they are actually worth adding.

Writing is very broad. perhaps best overall writing

best comedic writing, best dramatic writing and such like?
Nicotine at 6:51AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
I do agree with the points about what writing categories and whether we should add any at all. they should only be added if they are actually worth adding.

Writing is very broad. perhaps best overall writing

best comedic writing, best dramatic writing and such like?

I agree with not adding for the sake of adding, but if there's something good to add I think it should be considered, that's all.

I don't think there should be best overall writing or comedic or any of that because “Best Humor” includes whether the humor is well written, just like any of the other genres, determining which is best is going to includes the writing. “Best Story Comic” and “Best Strip” are basically “Best Writing” too in some ways.
Genejoke at 6:59AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
but those encompass art as well, art has best black and white and best colour. It would be nice if the writers got some more loving.
usedbooks at 7:25AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
It is good to recognize writers, but their are logistic and practical problems with specialized writing categories.

That's what we had “Best tense scenes” for a couple years ago. The problem is that those categories,while in theory are broad, end up as duplicating and being judged exactly like certain Genre categories. – In fact, there wasn't originally a “best humor” comic. It was “Best Comedic Scenes.” It kinda changed on its own, and that didn't affect the comics being voted for or the judging

Genre judging usually focuses very heavily on writing. They can *almost* be considered primarily as writing awards. The writing is simply specific for the categories. (Except the “genres” that are specific types of visual art like manga and photo comics.) Honestly, I think those cover it.

For general writing categories (not specific to genres), I think two categories can cover it.

“Best Dialogue”
and (maybe)
“Best Plot Development”

I dunno. I think the best of certain types of writing ends up very redundant with genre categories. I know the ones I judged all focused very heavily on writing. Writing is what defines most of the generas.
Genejoke at 7:46AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
best character writing/development?

yes i'm just throwing things out there again.
usedbooks at 7:57AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
best character writing/development?

yes i'm just throwing things out there again.
Eh, nah. We have specific character awards. And judges look in very close detail at the development and writing.

I don't think we need more writing awards for the sake of it. The general awards really are primarily writing awards. Even best overall writing is somewhat redundant. I would like to keep best dialogue, though.

If you want, we can change the subheading to “character awards” and move Dialogue to general awards. – If that makes the list seem less biased against writing.
Genejoke at 8:00AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Not overly worried just throwing ideas around in case anything sticks. But in someways that may be the answer.
I Am The 1337 Master at 8:11AM, June 19, 2011
(offline)
I'm gonna start my campaigning if we actually do bring back the users.

Slogan: Vote 1337 for something, cause its not like he's gonna win anything else.

…that should work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
usedbooks at 8:17AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Genre Awards

Best 3D/Poser Comic
Best Action Comic
Best Adventure Comic
Best All-Ages Comic
Best Community Project
Best Fantasy Comic
Best Horror Comic
Best Humor Comic
Best Manga
*Best Mystery/Crime/Noir Comic
Best Photo Comic
Best Romance Comic
Best Sci-Fi Comic
Best Superhero Comic

Technical Awards

*Best Use of Color
*Best Use of B&W
Best Background Art
Best Character Design
Best Comic Layouts
Most Improved Art
Best Dialogue
*Best Plot Development

Character Awards

*Best Lead Character
*Best Villain
**Best Couple/Duo

User Awards

Nicest User
Funniest User
Most Helpful User
Most Supportive Reader

The Big Ones

Best Completed Comic
Best Overall Story Comic
Best Overall Strip Comic

~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Same awards, reorganized.)
demontales at 10:17AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
For the writing awards, I also think they should be separated. My idea would be Best dialogue and Best storytelling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
pokketmonstahhuntah at 11:18AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I'm kinda new to Drunkduck and even newer to storytelling and making comics, so I don't stand a chance in most of these.

However, it could be interesting to have a “Most promising newby” category or something? I'm sure it's a good way to motivate other beginners like me to do their best and give them some publicity. They wouldn't be afraid to sign up for a category like that.

It's like junior league in webcomic world.

I understand the rule of “we only look at the last year of producing”, but it's a completely different ballgame for total noobs.

Just my two cents!

Thanks for being a great community!
Man,
I would kill for some Okonomiyaki right now!
Deviant-art
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Genejoke at 11:29AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Being new won't stop you from joining in on the judging or presentation.
usedbooks at 11:44AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
That suggestion comes up a lot, but as of yet, we haven't come up with a feasible way to qualify “newcomers.” Page number? Date joined? Date comic started? Also many comics get rebooted and start over, even though the user has been at it for a while. Some users have their entire comic drawn and uploaded elsewhere before putting it on DD. Some users make many comics and so are seasoned even if their latest comic is new. – So, basically, it's a little sticky when considering comics.

However, maybe we could do a user award for rising stars (“most promising new user”?) and qualify it as members who joined in the last year. It would be easier to pin down than trying to qualify “newbie comics.” And maybe we can add a user award for “most prolific creator” or most dedicated creator“ too?

And new or not, get involved! I had 0 skill, 0 confidence, and 0 readers, but I joined a bunch of community projects, and it was great. I'd still have next to no readers if not for that. XD Anyway, definitely participate in the awards even if (and maybe even moreso) you don't expect to be nominated for anything. It's a fun process all around and for all of DD, not just the ”bests."
pokketmonstahhuntah at 12:01PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Yeah, I was planning to look for some I try to work at.
Of course, even though I'm new doesn't mean I'm not going to do the best I can ^^
Because I will!

I'm just now discovering the forums, so I try to get involved more :)
Of course, it's all so biiiig for a small fish like mahself!

Thanks for the heads-up, usedbooks.

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents ^^
Man,
Deviant-art
Genejoke at 12:03PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Yeah, when the awards came around last year I had been doing webcomcis for less than three months in total. I was really shocked when I saw someone had voted my comic for one of the awards. I did a lot of judging and some presentation and have to say I learned a lot in the process.
usedbooks at 12:29PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
pokketmonstahhuntah
I'm just now discovering the forums, so I try to get involved more :)
Of course, it's all so biiiig for a small fish like mahself!
I know the feeling. Believe me. But this is a very lovely pond. The piranhas don't bite too hard. ;) Even the most n00bish find a ton of support and encouragement, so don't be afraid to dive in.
pokketmonstahhuntah at 1:07PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Thanks for the encouragement.

I'mma gonna do my best!
And you bet I'm going to do my best with the awards!

Now, to dive in the deep.
pkmnhuntah awaaaay~~

Good luck with the organisation.
If you need me, just gimme a quack!
Man,
Deviant-art
ayesinback at 1:22PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
usedbooks
And maybe we can add a user award for “most prolific creator” or most dedicated creator" too?
:) I'm glad you're considering this – this is very much along the lines of what I meant by a religious updater. I really respect that there are some creators who commit to their comic, and I like the idea of recognizing it (and there's no way this pertains to me)

OK — so if I'm not too outside the box, sign me up for a judge. I tend to be on the unconventional side, but not so much, just in case there's a need to balance viewpoints.
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Genejoke at 1:32PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
different views make the judging more interesting.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved