Drunk Duck Awards

2011 DD Awards Planning stages
RPGgrenade at 1:46PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I think the only award i could even be a nominee in would be the Slice of life category, since I'm not confident in many of the other things i could be in.. for one thing, I'm not even sure if there IS a villain in my comic, just a group of not very good guys who sometimes kill others… if it's profitable.

Anyway, as a stupid suggestion, I wanna put out the idea of ‘best Dramatic Comic’, with drama ranging from huge ass plot twists like soap operas, thousands of annoying emotional scenes, or to just the kind of dramatic play that just overexagerates a lot of scenes for attempted ‘epic-ness’

just an idea.. best one that could fit my comic, anyway ^^;

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
Nicotine at 1:51PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Someone
Anyway, as a stupid suggestion, I wanna put out the idea of ‘best Dramatic Comic’, with drama ranging from huge ass plot twists like soap operas, thousands of annoying emotional scenes, or to just the kind of dramatic play that just overexagerates a lot of scenes for attempted ‘epic-ness’

I don't think there's any stupid suggestion, some are just better then others. :D

I don't know about “Best Drama” because there's a lot of overlap. “Best Action” takes care of dramatic battle scenes and such. “Best Romance” takes care of dramatic love situations. “Best Sci-Fi” can cover space operas.

Anyway, I don't think you have to be here for a long time or be popular to get involved in or nominated for the drunk duck awards. :D Just jump in and participate! When nominations come around, tell your readers to vote for you, I literally tell my readers “Please vote for me in this category” xD. I find that there are a lot of lurkers on drunk duck, and even though I only pushed readers to vote for me in one category I think I had at least one vote in 4 of them o_O. And trust me, I don't have *that* many readers! DD is a fun place, it's very easy to join in the fun.

And you can always judge! It's tedious, but fun, and you discover lots of new comics that way. I'm a little down that I might not get to contribute much this year because I'll be out of the country for a month very soon, but I hope I can judge a quick category like “Best Backgrounds” remotely. xD

And I like “Most Promising Newcomer”. I think it should be judged by join date (within the last year as said before) and of course quality of work.

And are we sticking with the you-can't-judge-a-category-you-did-last-year rule
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
Genejoke at 2:00PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Someone
And are we sticking with the you-can't-judge-a-category-you-did-last-year rule

Hmm, didn't think about that. makes sense.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
usedbooks at 2:39PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
It isn't a rule but it is a strong guideline. We TRY not to have people judge the same category twice, but it depends on how many volunteers we have. Some people judged half a dozen or more categories, so we can't be completely picky on barring people willing to put in extra work. – If we have enough volunteers to do so, then yeah, that's the ideal. (It's more strictly adhered to if we end up with the same finalists in those categories. If it's a whole new crop of finalists, there's less potential bias involved.)

Usually, the go-getters are stand-by judges and step in only after someone goes MIA or a panel is deadlocked. That's really the main time the guideline has to be stretched. (At the zero hour, JNP sometimes has to step into a panel, regardless of the category.) Of course, the other judges have usually discussed the finalists at length by this point.

~~~

As Nicotine said, the typical “drama” falls under slice-of-life (or other categories, depending on the drama). Drama has been suggested before, so it isn't a stupid question by any means! It's just one of those “too much overlap” redundancy issues. You could also campaign for “best dialogue” and character awards.

Also, the way DD awards are done and categorized, it really is a fair game contest for all DDers, not just the most known or popular. Aside from the “overall awards” (which have crazy tough competition), most categories get at least a couple lesser-known comics as finalists. You simply have to have a modest group of motivated readers who will vote (and in the same category). Let your readers know! And if we run “campaign banners” prior to the awards, your comic can get exposure to the general award-enthusiastic crowd too. – I know when I vote, I try my hardest to nominate someone in each category, but some categories I don't usually read, so I start searching DD while I consider. (So it would be great to have some “consider me” images on the awards site to help me… consider.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Nicotine at 2:45PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I have a question though, if we decide to do an official campaign comic, will there be a limit to the amount of campaign pictures/whatever for each comic? Or can people send it as much as they want? And will there be a certain order in posting them?

If we do it, I'd like to get in on it, but I'll be half way across the world and won't have the means to send much of anythings in, boo! D:
usedbooks at 3:06PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I think it would be wise to limit it to one image per user.

You can use it to campaign several of your comics and/or also for your favorite comics that you'd like to see win. Maybe even combine multiple posters/pages into one image. (Like have a page promoting one of your comics and then a divider and a page for another one underneath it.) I think that's the best way to keep it fair and not let anyone saturate the voting pool. Plus, it would be useful for voters to have complete but concise recommendation pages to look at. It also means you can promote your favorite comics too without limiting yourself or them.

We could name them like this on the awards comic site: “Recommendations from Nicotine,” “Recommendations from Harkovast,” etc.

I think it would be best to post them in order received (on days convenient to JNP). So people can send them in up to a couple days before the polls open. (Maybe a little buffer time between to announce voting.) Any received after that would not be posted. Of course, I think they should be left up during voting, if not on the main award comic then in a separate one linked to from the main one.
DaWaterRat at 3:11PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I know it's just a grouping thing, but should Manga, 3D/Poser, Stick, sprite etc. be under Genre? With the arguable exception of Manga (and I see it more as a style than a genre, even from the writing perspective), they're not genres, they're art styles, and probably should be grouped as such.

As for categories themselves, I'm pretty good with what we've discussed so far. I don't think we need a “best drama”, since it could be covered by many of the other categories, but the same could be said for comedy as well. So I'm not against Best Drama either, I guess.

I'm kinda torn on if I want to judge, if only because I don't know now if I'll have the time then (whenever “then” is), so I don't want to commit and then have to back out.

That and although I've been here for a year and a half, I'm just now coming out of my shell on the forums. (It's actually my standard forum operating mode. I lurk for months (or even a year) and then all of a sudden get chatty.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Genejoke at 3:15PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I think this is a pretty good idea, should definitely be limited though.

For authors to suggest what categories they feel eligible for may help reduce silly votes, like charby for best slice of life comic.
usedbooks at 3:18PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
DaWaterRat
I know it's just a grouping thing, but should Manga, 3D/Poser, Stick, sprite etc. be under Genre? With the arguable exception of Manga (and I see it more as a style than a genre, even from the writing perspective), they're not genres, they're art styles, and probably should be grouped as such.
True. They do get judged MAINLY on art, but there is a distinct type of writing, pacing, and storyline associated with them too. (Sprite comics rarely get voted in other categories, for example.) Genre can be “subject genre” or “art genre.” I originally wrote “category awards,” but they are synonyms. And I think it's a little confusing. (IE “Which award categories are in Category Awards?” ) I used a thesaurus, but I couldn't come up with anything better – Type Awards? Genre/Style Awards? (I do feel its best to keep them all in the same heading. They are the “subjective” awards looking at specific groups of webcomics rather than universal kinds of awards.)

You should definitely give judging a shot when we get to it. It won't be until sometime in fall anyway due to the duck migration and crazy delay. I've never been a chatter either (and DEFINITELY not a debater), but judging helps you come out of your shell quite a bit. Reading and discussing comics is so much fun. It's something we all want to do all the time, and this is a great reason/excuse.
I Am The 1337 Master at 3:39PM, June 19, 2011
(offline)
Genejoke
I think this is a pretty good idea, should definitely be limited though.

For authors to suggest what categories they feel eligible for may help reduce silly votes, like charby for best slice of life comic.
or Mob Ties for Furry.

now that was just stupid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
DaWaterRat at 4:07PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
usedbooks
DaWaterRat
True. They do get judged MAINLY on art, but there is a distinct type of writing, pacing, and storyline associated with them too. (Sprite comics rarely get voted in other categories, for example.) Genre can be “subject genre” or “art genre.” I originally wrote “category awards,” but they are synonyms. And I think it's a little confusing. (IE “Which award categories are in Category Awards?” ) I used a thesaurus, but I couldn't come up with anything better – Type Awards? Genre/Style Awards? (I do feel its best to keep them all in the same heading. They are the “subjective” awards looking at specific groups of webcomics rather than universal kinds of awards.)

While I can see where you're coming from (though I disagree, at least about 3D comics, since I don't see Muse of a Knight having a lot of writing similarities to, say, Equivocate… at least none that are tied to the Poser medium), I was thinking about it for the whole Writing vs. Art categorization, though if we go with all of the specialized categories as “technical” like you did in your second list, that works too. (I actually didn't see that one when I posted)
usedbooks at 4:38PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Yeah That's why I tweaked it. Talking about the genres being mostly writing awards also made me think about the ones that are more art-oriented. So the groupings weren't quite right. (Keep in mind, this is the first time trying to organize award categories.)

It seems more logical to keep all the “types of comics” categories together and the “components of a comic” categories together. – Particularly if it's for the intention of making things easier on voters. I tried really hard to come up with the right word to describe it. ^^; My brain was having a lot of blanks trying to locate my vocabulary. I know what I'm trying to say but not how to say it.

Is Category or Type better than Genre? Or should it be Genre/Style? Or something else?
JustNoPoint at 5:08PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Genre/Style Awards

Best 3D/Poser Comic
Best Action Comic
Best Abstract/Random Comic
Best Adventure Comic
Best Adult-Oriented Comic
Best All-Ages Comic
Best Anthropomorphic Comic
Best Community Project
Best Fantasy Comic
Best Horror Comic
Best Humor Comic
Best Manga
*Best Mystery/Crime/Noir Comic
Best Parody/Tribute Comic
**Best Philosophical/Political Comic
Best Photo Comic
Best Pixel/Sprite/Stock Image Comic
Best Romance Comic
Best Sci-Fi Comic
Best Simplified Art/Stick Figure Comic
Best Slice-of-Life/Autobiographical Comic
Best Superhero Comic
Most Deliciously Offensive Comic

Technical Awards

*Best Use of Color
*Best Use of B&W
Best Background Art
Best Character Design
Best Comic Layouts
Most Improved Art
Best Dialogue
*Best Plot Development

Character Awards

*Best Lead Character
**Best Supporting Character
*Best Villain
**Best Couple/Duo

User Awards

Nicest User
Funniest User
Most Helpful User
Most Supportive Reader
**Most Dedicated Creator
**Most Promising Newcomer

The Big Ones

Best Completed Comic
Best Overall Story Comic
Best Overall Strip Comic

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Added the 2 suggested to the user awards as per Vickie and Nicotine's layout. I like them =)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
usedbooks at 5:12PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
JustNoPoint
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Genre Awards

Let's just call them Genre/Style Awards for good measure. ;)
DaWaterRat at 5:14PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
usedbooks
Is Category or Type better than Genre? Or should it be Genre/Style? Or something else?

I'd go with Genre/style, or leave it as Genre with the revised grouping.
JustNoPoint at 5:18PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I think for the limit for campaign should be 1 comic per person. Meaning that if you have more than 1 comic you can go ahead and make a campaign for both.

I don't want to limit how many submissions users can make for OTHER comics that are not their own. Since it's the 1st year for it I'd like to run it with fewer limitations and see what happens. If a user starts trying to flood it I am sure I'll put my foot down.

Or maybe if too many submissions for a particular comic come in.

Basically I'd kinda like to use my discretion this year and hope I don't tick of anyone if I do have to stop something :P
usedbooks at 5:37PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
JustNoPoint
I think for the limit for campaign should be 1 comic per person. Meaning that if you have more than 1 comic you can go ahead and make a campaign for both.

I don't want to limit how many submissions users can make for OTHER comics that are not their own.
Hmm. I personally think we need to limit that too. Fans can become a nuisance if not limited. Or creators pushing for their fans to flood you with submissions. It just seems very abusable.

I'd say one submission per user. Period. They can include endorsements of other comics in that as well. Any exceptions or additions could get sticky (especially considering community projects).

I want to make sure the mood and spirit isn't strained from the get-go. Rules are limiting, perhaps, but I think they also encourage submissions because people won't feel pressure to make it into campaign wars (or tell their fans to). It should be a friendly, no pressure sort of thing, and a plain and simple limit can help that.

We can try things your way and hope for the best, but I'd rather take precautions to prevent drama rather than deal with it when it happens. (And it could happen anyway. :P ) The whole thing is essentially on you anyway, so whatever you feel will work is fine.
Nicotine at 5:44PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
I think everyone should be able to have 2 submissions, one for their own comics and one for recommendations. It'll be difficult to put everything on one page.
JustNoPoint at 5:46PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Nicotine
I think everyone should be able to have 2 submissions, one for their own comics and one for recommendations. It'll be difficult to put everything on one page.

I'm still deciding but if I do limit it as such I'll probably go with this.
RPGgrenade at 9:21PM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Hmm, well There's only about three categories I could consider myself even able to enter XD

Hmmm, I think i have a small problem, most of my readers are bartenders or people who aren't members of drunkduck, so i find that a small problem unless non-users are able to vote as well.
I don't even know how many readers i might have, they never comment, so yeah, unless I happen to have a huge amount of lurkers on DD and non-users can vote for me, there's little chances of me getting far XD
but sure, I'll try becoming a nominee

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
harkovast at 12:33AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
I dont like the user specific awards.
They are pretty meaningless because they are something you cant measure.
I help people all the time on DD and numerous peple help, but it is mainly done in private messages, so it is not public, so for the voting it is not representative of who really deserves it.
Not saying I should win it or anything, but I just don't see them as having any value.

Best lettering is a dumb category and should be dropped.
Think of the comic you read that has the best lettering.
Can't think of one?
Yeah, me niether!
I've never read a comic and thought “wow, the lettering is so AWESOME!”

I would prefer to have less awards and them all be meaningful then add in loads of junk awards that no one would really compete for.

I am confused by talk of limiting how people can campaign/how many submissionss they can make.
Is this for a special campaign comic, or am I just going to be limited in what categories I can enter? I am sure this has already been explained but I cant find it and I need some clarity.

In other news…awesome, I love the DD awards!
I want that best anthro award again!
*starts drooling in anticipation*

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Genejoke at 12:41AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
Nah previous winners are automatically disqualified.

This is a joke btw.
:D

Lettering is important but could be incorp- sure we had this discussion already.

DAJB at 1:59AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
Oooh, I didn't realise the awards debate was up and running already!

I haven't read all the previous posts here but I've tried to skim read as many as possible. Just a few thoughts on some of the themes that seem to be recurring:

- New categories. I wouldn't get too hung up on creating new categories. The more categories you have, the harder it becomes (a) to find enough judges and (b) for the judges to read through all the finalists. Most importantly, the categories we had last year covered pretty much all the essentials and so - unless there is a clear, screaming need for it - any new category is going to have very little effect of any substance. As well as the extra work vs limited value argument, subdividing things to the nth degree will simply create even more categories with very few nominees.

- Criteria. Instead of concentrating on creating/subdividing categories, more attention should perhaps be paid to definitions, so people have a better understanding of what they're supposed to be voting for in each category. I'd suggest each category on the voting form could be accompanied by a brief one line summary of the criteria that are meant to be taken into account. For those actively involved in putting the awards together, it's sometimes easy to forget that very few of the voters will have read these forum discussions. (Hard to believe, I know!)

- Lettering. I disagree with usedbooks (which is very unusual in itself - we tend to think alike on most things!) When lettering is done well, I think it usually goes unnoticed. It's only when it's done badly that it gets attention! Anyway, that aside, this was only introduced last year because someone suggested it in the forum discussions (a perfect example of why suggestions for new categories should be treated with caution!) If there were very few nominees last year, this is exactly the kind of category that should be dropped in order to streamline things.

- Heroes and villains. I think the terms best antagonist/protagonist or best hero/villain work fine. I don't believe changing “protagonist” to “lead character” actually helps unless you also drop the villain category and combine them into one. Otherwise you'll have villains/antagonists who could qualify for both but heroes/protagonists who only qualify for one!

- Couples. Not keen on this. (Oh dear - that's twice I've disagreed with usedbooks in one thread!) I feel it's too open to interpretation. Judging a character on his or her own merits is something everyone can have a broad level of consensus about. Deciding whether x's relationship with y makes them “a couple” is too vague. How often do they need to be together to qualify? Does it only include romantic relationships? What about buddy-buddy relationships? Or gal-pals? Does it count if they're part of a larger group but happen to get on together? It seems like an unnecessary new category to me (see first point above!) It would need to be carefully defined, and the more you define it, the less chance there is of getting more than a handful of deserving nominees. It also opens the door to other “sub-groups”. After all, if couples have a category, why not an award for ensemble pieces?

- User awards. These were dropped before because people felt they were only given to admins and mods. This wasn't true, of course, but the perception was (a) that admins etc had an unfair advantage because they inevitably had a higher profile on the site and (b) that they were being given the award for doing what was essentially “their job”. If these are going to be reintroduced, then (with apologies to any admins and mods reading!) it might be an idea to exclude admins and mods from being nominated, just as creators are precluded from voting for their own comics. That might help to convince people that they are “fair”.

Okay, I'm sure there's more in the previous five pages of comments but, until I can catch up fully, those are my initial thoughts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
JustNoPoint at 2:10AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
Don't have much time before I have to go to work
I am confused by talk of limiting how people can campaign/how many submissionss they can make.
Is this for a special campaign comic, or am I just going to be limited in what categories I can enter? I am sure this has already been explained but I cant find it and I need some clarity.

Special campaign comic =) Basically you get to advertise in the awards before voting starts! Your fans can advertise for you as well!
Genejoke at 2:36AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
To elaborate someone will create a “For your consideration” comic for the awards where users can submit pages promoting their comics, or those of others. far that there may be the limitation but elsewhere you can do as you wish.

I think that's the case anyway.
Abt_Nihil at 4:29AM, June 20, 2011
(offline)
harkovast
Best lettering is a dumb category and should be dropped.
Think of the comic you read that has the best lettering.
Can't think of one?
Yeah, me niether!
I strongly disagree. Firstly, because of this reason:

DAJB
When lettering is done well, I think it usually goes unnoticed. It's only when it's done badly that it gets attention!
Secondly, most voters and judges here are not just readers, most of them are writers, artists and letterers themselves. That means IF they are aware of the principles of good lettering, they will more likely notice it while reading other comics. For instance, I notice good lettering all the time (*cough* Shades *cough*) - that is, I'm noticing that if I weren't a letterer myself, I wouldn't be noticing it! :P

The fact that you're not noticing it could either mean you haven't thought about lettering a lot, or you're very good at separating the reader part from the professional part of your personality.

Lettering is extremely asymmetric, in that someone who's never done it usually assumes that it isn't hard at all, but which in fact takes a lot of experience to do well! So, in principle, I'm all FOR recognizing lettering as a distinct skill.

If the lettering category is to be dropped, it should be dropped for pragmatic reasons (i.e. not getting enough votes).
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Genejoke at 5:47AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
Or mixed with something like layouts as both are key parts of visual story telling.
usedbooks at 6:50AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
It seemed to me that last year most people really wanted to keep user awards. They aren't much bragging rights, but they are fun. I think only one or two people spoke out against them, and they actually did so on a completely false assumption that user awards were “judged” somehow. They are not. Nor are they admin awards. Outspoken admins got a lot of votes but so do other outspoken members – as well as those who do a lot to help people privately or in their own comic. (I'm actually surprised to see Hark opposing them. I know he'd get quite a few votes in quite a few topics…)

Someone
Does it only include romantic relationships? What about buddy-buddy relationships? Or gal-pals?
Already covered that. ;) “Best Couple/Duo” It's a good category, and I'll fight ya for it! Wanna throw down? Come on! Readers like character chemistry. Period. Character awards are inherently hard to judge regardless. They are not so unlike user awards really. But the other categories are judge-able. I think this one is even more so. A lot of things can go into judging a relationship,the chemistry a pair have with each other and the entertainment value of the pairing (whether one of emotional affect or of comedy). You can punish my suggestion by making me a judge for it and I can see how hard it is. XD

Someone
- Heroes and villains. I think the terms best antagonist/protagonist or best hero/villain work fine. I don't believe changing “protagonist” to “lead character” actually helps unless you also drop the villain category and combine them into one. Otherwise you'll have villains/antagonists who could qualify for both but heroes/protagonists who only qualify for one!
I agree! I hate having categories that don't synch up! I'd say either lead and supporting roles OR hero and villain (and also supporting role, perhaps?). Although it doesn't showcase anti-hereos or non-heroic leads, I love a villain… I dunno. I really am torn. I hate seeing those mismatched categories but at the same time I like what they represent. :P I don't think there's any way around it. We need to pick one way or the other.

Someone
- New categories. I wouldn't get too hung up on creating new categories. The more categories you have, the harder it becomes (a) to find enough judges and (b) for the judges to read through all the finalists. Most importantly, the categories we had last year covered pretty much all the essentials and so - unless there is a clear, screaming need for it - any new category is going to have very little effect of any substance. As well as the extra work vs limited value argument, subdividing things to the nth degree will simply create even more categories with very few nominees.
I don't think we've come up wit many new categories here. Not out-of-the -blue stuff for sure. We are mostly renaming and combining last year's categories – tweaking really. The only “new” suggestions we have are “user awards” which we had before, and I maintain should have been part of last year anyway and character awards suggested before. However the latter isn't so much new but rather an attempt to rename and clarify the ones we have.

So, basically the only “new” award under strong consideration is best couple. Which is not a new suggestion, as I bring the thing up every year. XD If people don't want it, that's fine. I do, and I'll suggest it next year too if we don't have it. (But if we do have it and it doesn't work, I'll suggest we remove it. ;) )

As for removing or combining, I personally won't do support it any other basis than the voting and judging issues associated with it. If it didn't work, it needs to be changed. If it did, leave it alone. (People can debate all day long the validity of categories, but to me, the only criterion of existing categories to remain as is is “did it work?” )

JustNoPoint
Don't have much time before I have to go to work

Special campaign comic =) Basically you get to advertise in the awards before voting starts! Your fans can advertise for you as well!
Yeah. it is for submissions to a campaign comic. You can promote your work (or others' ) in an many categories as you like but we'll limit the number images each person submits (so you'll have to keep your self-promotion to a single page).
usedbooks at 7:09AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
Oo! Idea!

This is mixing terminology again, but what about Best Protagonist and Best Villain? It's pretty much the same as “lead character and villain” but it is a little different, imo, and might work in practice (better than what we had before and what was suggested already?).

A lot of awesome protagonists aren't “heroic” but they are great protagonists. Many villains can be considered “lead characters” but most are not protagonists. And the voters and judges read “antagonist” as “villain” anyway. It might make things more clear cut.

~~

(Besides, ‘lead character’ is used in movie awards as it refers to acting, so it includes all types of lead roles, villain and hero and non-heroic or villainous. It's not really relevant to webcomics.)
JazylH at 8:18AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
This is going to be good. Loving the categories so far. :)

Updated Mondays & Fridays
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved