Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

3-D Art
Walrus at 3:48PM, March 19, 2009
(online)
I'm in desperate need of a specific software. I have decided to move my comic over to a 3-D art. The only problem is, I don't have that kind of software. So what I ask from you, is to find an easy to use software that I could use drawings or sketches to convert them into a 3-D art form. The transformations must also look clean and detailed. Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
lba at 7:45PM, March 19, 2009
(online)
CS$ has an 3D rotate tool to help with that but it won't do it all and it's not exactly cheap. And you're gonna need a pretty good video card to use that feature. Otherwise, Maya comes to mind, but that's also a bit of work and expensive. Your other option is to replicate 3D work in photoshop, GIMP or Paint.net, which actually isn't too hard if you know what you want and the basics of light and dark.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
JoeL_CQB at 1:19AM, March 20, 2009
(online)
Walrus
So what I ask from you, is to find an easy to use software that I could use drawings or sketches to convert them into a 3-D art form.

If a program like that existed, then damn i would be 3d modeling all day.

unfortunately there isn't. what i've seen people do is draw up a draft of what they want to model, load that as a single plane into maya or 3ds max, and then build the polygons from there, and other terms and magic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
cool guy at 10:01AM, March 21, 2009
(online)
3-D Modeling
http://www.Blender.org

or

Anaglyph
http://www.stereoeye.jp/software/index_e.html
This life we live shall soon be past,only what's done for Christ shall last! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:45AM
cartoonprofessor at 4:02PM, March 23, 2009
(online)
As to easy-to-use 3D programs… HAH!

Apparently there is a fairly simple one that converts 2D drawings into 3D models. I can't remmeber what it is called though. It was reviewed in either Macworld or 3D World magazines. The screenshots looked pretty crap though.

In 05, when I decided to start with Min n Fin, I thought I would go 3D to save time. (Even bigger HAH)

The learning curve is HUGE.

I'm glad I did though… I compromised by restricting the 3D work to the ships, some scenes and basic shapes for the characters. I position and render each panel, then take each rendered image into photoshop and draw the characters' features, ink in edges, etc.

The only ‘character’ I persisted in building completely is Mr Hunter (page 6 and 8).

The first 9 pages' scenes are 3D, then I go to ‘backdrops’…. much faster.

I use Carrara5 Pro from Daz (I got it free from a 3D world mag) adn Hexagon for Mr Hunter ($1.50 on one of Daz's specials)

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
mattchee at 9:52AM, March 26, 2009
(online)
I don't know about converting… but DAZ makes a decent poser type program called Daz|Studio that is free from their website. You get one free “person” with it, and I think there's a couple more available for free download there too. The rest of the content you have to buy (that's where they get you). I only use it for reference from time to time… but I hear the rendering features and whatnot a top notch.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
CharleyHorse at 5:40PM, March 26, 2009
(offline)
Ha! I'm glad that some of you have posted on this subject. I thought I was losing my mind. I did some Blender work about two years ago and created the typical beginner's stuff with the program; the Beetle's yellow Submarine, the original Starship Enterprise and a swimming shark before I finally burned out and decided that the results – as astonishing as they were to me – just were not work the long hours of manipulation that goes into making even the simplest of 3d objects look credible.

I'm not saying that the program does not exist that can transform 2d into credible 3d with just the touch of a command switch or two, but I would be surprised. Still my knowledge and experience in this area is out of date and so maybe things have changed just that much.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
bravo1102 at 8:21PM, April 23, 2009
(online)
Making the stuff for real is so much easier than rendering it. As already said the learning curve is huge and it takes forever. I've considered doing furniture and the like but building and painting it is easier.

I once rendered a Tiger tank. I only got it right after I built a model of one and copied it. I discovered that they really do use sculptures and scale models to create the 3D renderings. Being a scale modeler it's easier for me to just build the piece and photograph it. The learning curve isn't as steep, but then I've been building models for more than 30 years.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved