Media Megaforum

30 Days of Night
Darkmax at 6:42PM, Oct. 6, 2007
(online)
First off…This thread will probably get moved….Because I never seem to find the right spot!!!!…OK READY…FLASH Back 3 years ago I bought the TPB of 30 Days of Night…I thought to myself another Vampire Story “GREAT” As if there isn't enough of them already!!!!!

When I 1st read 30 Days of Night (about a year late) I really wasn't that impressed….I thought Dark Days Part part II of this book was much better…

Then I hear 30 Days of Night is optioned for movie and I'm thinking WTF????

There are way better stories at DD than this book!!! And their getting NO KINDA LOVE… (And by LOVE…I mean a…1 Million $ + movie option…KINDA LOVE$$$ You know that…paying a good chunk of of the rent to shut him/her roomates the F-up
…type love…)

So I re-read the book with a bottle of wine and Low and Behold I find…{NOW Flip Flopping completey…Like bad a New England politician,whose name might ryme with Red Cenndey or Mayor Quimby for the Simpson Fan's)

ANYWAY!!!!…I SAY….MY GOD…. They might have the BEST Vampire Story/Movie Ever MADE. That's right I said it!!!! THE GREATEST VAMPIRE MOVIE/STORY EVER TOLD!!!!….Damn It!!!!! Can I say Damn at Drunk D…???

Okay…So here are the 2 questions Drunk Duck

Here is a trailer with a scene tacked on at the end keep watching and watch how the vampire is feeding on the guy on the ground!!!! NOW THAT IS CREEPY!!!

http://terrorfeed.com/index.php?id=30daysnight-Red-Trailer

1. What is the best Vampire film EVER TO DATE…and WHY???

2. 30 Days of Night Fly or Flop

What say you Drunk Duck??????

Byron (Witer)
“The Devilfish Project”
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Devilfish_Project/index.php?p=114867

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
bongotezz at 9:02PM, Oct. 6, 2007
(offline)
best vampire movie is razor blade smile. why? because it was made for 500 pounds and has a hot vampire chick in it.

will 30 days of night flop? that depends on what you mean by flop. i dont think it will make 500 million but it will probablly gross more money than it cost to make it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
SarahN at 10:09PM, Oct. 6, 2007
(online)
I don't know what is the best vampire movie….kind of depends on what you're going for…but here is a list of good ones:

On the monster/campy side:

Fright Night 1 & 2
Salem's Lot (the original)
Lost Boys
From Dusk 'til Dawn (actually I don't like this one that much, but I mentioned it anyway…half of the movie isn't vampire-related)

On the more serious or psychological side:

Interview with the Vampire
Martin (directed by George Romero, a VERY underrated vampire movie)
Bram Stoker's Dracula

Oh yeah…and don't forget Dracula: Dead and Loving It. XP
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
subcultured at 10:21PM, Oct. 6, 2007
(online)
jim carey is in this one…
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
subcultured at 10:26PM, Oct. 6, 2007
(online)
i like werewolf movies myself, lately i've been liking Ginger Snaps trilogy
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
DAJB at 3:31AM, Oct. 7, 2007
(online)
Werewolf movies are so hard to get right. Of the recent attempts, I agree Ginger Snaps is excellent and Dog Soldiers is definitely worth a look. A bigger budget might have been helpful as far as the SFX are concerned but that's no guarantee. Whatever you think of the movies overall, the CGI werewolves in Van Helsing and Underworld, for example, are pretty poor.

Vampires are getting a little tired. I didn't really think Underworld brought much to the genre that was new. Even Blade did it better. I'd have to go with The Lost Boys as one of the best recent films. (Yes, I'm old enough to consider the Eighties recent!) It may seem dated now but, at the time, it was certainly doing something different from the whole Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee/Hammer Horror tradition.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
ozoneocean at 5:36AM, Oct. 7, 2007
(online)
My two fave vampire moves are Blood & Donuts (1995), and Blood, the last Vampire (2000). The first for the beautiful human relationships and the lovely take on the pain of immortality and the envy it inspires, the second for the bestial savagery of the vamps and the interesting scenario of the film.

Lost Boys was also pretty good. as Sarah said. :)

They say David Bowie's The Hunger (1983) was a classic, but I've never seen it…

Thirst (1979) is a very interesting one in that most people in it are vamps and the true humans are cosseted and farmed for their blood… But they don't actually realise it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
mlai at 6:14AM, Oct. 7, 2007
(online)
Blade and Blade 2 are the best vampire movies to date IMO.

But, more than the fact that they have vampires, they're more like comic books hero films that don't tell you they have a comic books hero or that they're about comic books, but also don't pretend to be revolutionary like say Watchmen. That's what's awesome. Like the way Sin City and 300 was awesome.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Phantom Penguin at 12:04PM, Oct. 7, 2007
(offline)
Blood The Last Vampire was a really good one.

I will be seeing 30 Days Of Night, so I hope its good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Darkmax at 12:12PM, Oct. 7, 2007
(online)
Here is a trailer with a scene tacked on at the end so keep watching!!!! And watch how the Vampire is feeding on the guy on the ground!!!! NOW IS THAT A 10 ON THE CREEPY METER OR WHAT!!!!

http://terrorfeed.com/index.php?id=30daysnight-Red-Trailer

Byron
The Devifish Project
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Devilfish_Project/index.php?p=114867
MrRiot at 5:13AM, Oct. 8, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
Blood The Last Vampire was a really good one.

I will be seeing 30 Days Of Night, so I hope its good.

Blood was a perfect example of why CGI and regular animation should NOT be intermingled.

I wasn't all that impressed with the 30 Days of Night graphic novel…thoiugh, I did enjoy the style of the artwork. I just didn't think the story was all that great. The concept was cool, but could have been executed so much better.

I'm admittedly biased, though. I've never been all that into vampires. I'll probably still go see this, though. You support one comic book movie, you're supporting them all.

Visit my comic: THE PATH: Lovecraftian Horror meets Arthurian Legend
Visit my website: Old Dying Kitty
Proud Co-Founder/Member of Mediocre Militia
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
ozoneocean at 6:43AM, Oct. 8, 2007
(online)
Heh,I thought Blood the Last Vampire did it OK personally. Really.
I mean, I LOVE Ghost in the shell, but I didn't like the 3D stuff so much in both the TV series and I thought it was a little cheap in the second movie.

I didn't mind it so much at all in Blood because the movie didn't rely on it, it was just sort of a gimmick they seemed to be testing out. Anyway, ignoring the technical (which is important, but not everything), I still thought it was a good movie, and as a rule I'm not really a vamp fan… Unless it's Transvision Vamp!
Oh Wendy James…

MrRiot at 7:20AM, Oct. 8, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Heh,I thought Blood the Last Vampire did it OK personally. Really.
I mean, I LOVE Ghost in the shell, but I didn't like the 3D stuff so much in both the TV series and I thought it was a little cheap in the second movie.

I didn't mind it so much at all in Blood because the movie didn't rely on it, it was just sort of a gimmick they seemed to be testing out. Anyway, ignoring the technical (which is important, but not everything), I still thought it was a good movie, and as a rule I'm not really a vamp fan… Unless it's Transvision Vamp!
Oh Wendy James…

I just can't stand when CGI is OBVIOUSLY mixed with traditional animation. I understand that it can be a great time/money-saving tool and help enhance things like backgrounds and effects…but at least try and make it MATCH the main animation. There are shows/movies that do it WELL…like Futurama (say what you will, but the CGI in Futurama blends really well with the animation…it enhances it, not takes away from it). To me, Blood's CGI was so blatantly NOT trying to blend with the animation, that it made the animators seem lazy…and it really distracted me from the story. But that's just me. To each their own and all that jazz.

Visit my comic: THE PATH: Lovecraftian Horror meets Arthurian Legend
Visit my website: Old Dying Kitty
Proud Co-Founder/Member of Mediocre Militia
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
ozoneocean at 7:42AM, Oct. 8, 2007
(online)
Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but it really wasn't that much of the film though… There were some big scenes with it in, like the train carriage at the start, but most of the rest of the film was just 2D. That's why I compared it to something like the second GITS movie that truly did rely on it.

I tend to feel like Blood The Last Vampire is sometimes unfairly picked on as some kind of whipping boy for bad 3D or something. I'm suspicious of whipping boys as a rule.

I thought it was especially good considering the low budget and all. heh, my other fave, the 1995 Blood and Donuts (although live action), also had a very small budget but still managed to pull off something nice. There's a lot to be said for tight budget films I think.

Exzachly at 12:16PM, Oct. 8, 2007
(online)
Blood was ok, but it was so short and anti-climactic. As for a good mix of 2D and 3D, I'd say the best so far is the Iron Giant.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
mlai at 1:16PM, Oct. 8, 2007
(online)
Blood was… meh. I liked Blood+ much more.

TheMidge28 at 2:02PM, Oct. 8, 2007
(online)
Exzachly
Blood was ok, but it was so short and anti-climactic. As for a good mix of 2D and 3D, I'd say the best so far is the Iron Giant.

totally agree… loved Blood: The Last Vampire so much I bought it but at the same time I wanted more. It was way too short…I wanted it a series or something more. I have to disagree w/ Riot on this one. I really like the use of the CGI in Blood as OO discribed..that beginning scene on the train was killer.

As The Iron Giant…totally agree again! I love that move and it does well with that mixing of CGI and Cell Anemation…but back on topic…

here's a couple movies to throw in the mix…

for a different take on Vampires I recommend these three…
Kronos…a much different take on blood sucking…
Lifeforce…alien bloodsuckers…
Shadow of The Vampire…the filming of Noseferatu retold with the ever-wonderful Willem Dafoe

for plain campy fun…
Bordello of Blood…T&A and laughs with an interesting story…

but my favorite Vampire Movie has to be Near Dark…Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton

Got love them rowdy white trash vampires!!!

I also want to se this 30 days of night…never read the “Ground-Breaking Graphic Novel” ;) but definitely looks cool.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM
mlai at 4:54PM, Oct. 8, 2007
(online)
@ Midge:

You know that Blood+ is the 50-episodes anime TV sequel to Blood?

It's available either via English dub (currently on Adult Swim) or fansubs.

Vinnie at 5:42AM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
Actually, I'm pretty sure Blood+ is set in an alternate universe to Blood: The Last Vampire.

Best vampire movie? Can't say I have one, but Hellsing would be my favorite vampire anime. Not the original one, but the new one they're doing is ridiculous.

As for 30 Days of Night, I can't wait to see it. I think it'll do well. There hasn't been an actual good scary movie in a while. Don't know about Josh Hartnett, though…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
marine at 9:10AM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
You think they'll let Josh Hartnett die in the movie like in the book?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Priest_Revan at 9:47AM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
30 Days of Night looks good, and I've heard a lot about it from the thousands of college students that surrond me. So, chances are, it will probably do pretty well (the movie is coming out at the right time and it's targeting the perfect audience).
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
mlai at 4:42PM, Oct. 19, 2007
(online)
Watched 30 Days of Night and it was excellent. I haven't seen a movie this oppressive since The Descent.

LIZARD_B1TE at 8:11AM, Oct. 20, 2007
(online)
SarahN
Oh yeah…and don't forget Dracula: Dead and Loving It. XP

“Message in the Lobby for Dr. Seward…”
Yes, that was a great movie. :)

If you've read I Am Legend, you'll probably understand why I rank that among my favorite vampire stories. The upcoming looks kind of good, but it doesn't look faithful to the book at all.

Bram Stoker's Dracula and Blade were pretty good. The BSD was probably the most faithful adaptation of Dracula I've ever seen.

Underworld was a piece of crap. It would have been better if they spent more money on choreography and less on cheesy gore effects.

Also, that one Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode with the Vampires was pretty good.

Homer: “Bart, what did I tell you about– Holy Cow! You are a vampire!”
Grandpa: “Then we must kill the boy!”
Marge: “How do you know he's a vampire?”
Grandpa: “He's a vampire!?”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
Darkmax at 1:51PM, Oct. 21, 2007
(online)
Warning small SPOILER

Seen It!!!!!!!!! Ok overall excellent!!!!!

1. I was a little disappointed that it didn't stick to the original story line.

2 MOST TERRFIYNG VAMPIRES EVER…Anybody that says they could sit through this movie with out at least 7 good jumps (actually jumping in you're seat) there lying.

3. Best horror movie ever…NO it wasn't!!!!! (Best vampire/horror movie in a LONG LONG TIME YES!!!!)

Wrap
So if you're a fan of the book you may be slightly disappointed in the change in storyline other than that best horror movie in a while enjoy

Byron
Priest_Revan at 1:56PM, Oct. 21, 2007
(offline)
This movie was actually good? I've been hearing a couple of big complaints about it (bad storyline, etc.)

Hmm… now I must see it.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Vinnie at 8:48PM, Oct. 22, 2007
(offline)
The movie was fantastic. Haha, take a girl to see it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
jalford at 4:32PM, Oct. 23, 2007
(online)
Best bloodsucker movie ever…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved