Media Megaforum

Phantom Penguin at 7:28PM, March 9, 2007
(offline)
holy crap. i just got back from watching it. Its amazing. The best movie i've seen in a long time.

what do you think of it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Eviltwinpixie at 8:09PM, March 9, 2007
(offline)
Also just got back.

Wow. Just wow. An INCREDIBLE movie. One of the few movies I will want to own and keep for as long as I can, and watch with regularity.

There are few stories more inspiring and romantic than a last stand, and there are few subjects better for it than Spartans.

If I didn't know it had a basis in history, I wouldn't have believed it. And even if I'd known, but hadn't read up on Sparta beforehand, I would have thought much more of it was fiction than actually was. But seriously, Spartans were HARDCORE. ^_^

The Spartan shield is a wonderful symbol. I used to think the phrase “with your shield or on it” meant only for them to return victorious or dead, but I read recently that even in victory, to return without the shield was dishonourable, as while your helmet and sword were for your own personal safety, the shield represented the army as a team, and the protection of all.

It took me a good long time after the film finished to be able to speak properly again. ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
fern at 9:43PM, March 9, 2007
(online)
I wasn't a big fan of Sin City but even I thought this was dare I say… awesomesauce? Yes… I did.

I was so inspired by this movie that I wanted to go to the nearest Army enlistment place to sign up (lucky me it was just around the corner) but then I thought to myself… These morons don't fight with sharp sticks… So I just went home.

Though the ending was a little cheesy… and they left out the homosexuality part that the Spartans are not known for… but it's there.

PS: Was I the only one who thought that freaky hunchback was John Leguizamo?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
Generic Human at 9:59PM, March 9, 2007
(online)
I just got back from it…it was incredible! Every aspect of the movie was done to perfection. The way it bolded the eyes or the like to emphisize a point, was amazing. The story was great, the graphics were great, the characters, just all of it… That's a movie you need to watch a bunch, and read the comic to compare.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Beaums at 12:07AM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
Oh man, I've been STRAINING to see this movie, it looks so damn good. The commercials themselves blew my mind, and I hear that full movie experience is just awe-inspiring. It's got non-stop gore, babes, mind blowing computer graphics, heart thumping battle scenes, giant mutants, and I highly stylized look - THAT'S what I've been looking for in a movie. And I'm so glad to hear that everyone else is liking it, because I was worried it'd get shot-down. 300 even got a good rating in our newspapers, and we got some tough critics. A philosopher even wrote about how Frank Miller portrayed the mythology so well. Romantisized historical remakes usually suck left and right (like Alexander, MAN did that blow), but not 300. The only thing negative the critics said was that the movie had noticeable lack of plot, but you guys seem to think the story was good. So I don't know, I suppose I'll have to judge for myself. Frank Miller earned a spot of my heros list with Sin City, and I'm sure he'll live up to that honour with 300. ROCK!

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
ozoneocean at 4:06AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
Blarg. I'm not a big fan of propaganda stories, no matter what the vintage! I got my fill of heroic WW2 movies and badly made heroic Cold war movies when I was little and even then I realised how silly the concept was.

The Battle of Thermopylae is one of the biggest bullshit stories in history… I'm sorry, this one sounds like another Braveheart (and that sucked big time). These emotional stories are for the feeble-minded and the young.

If you can convince me that the cinematics, production techniques, and story adaption are good enough though, I might consider actually seeing it!
I already know that the costume design leaves a lot to be desired.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
subcultured at 4:50AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
oz hates the spartan helmets
through the whole movie, he'll probably be fuming “aaaaaaahhhhhh it's all wrong! the helmets goes like thissss!”

as for me, i'll prolly see it the first chance i get
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Phantom Penguin at 8:32AM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
Its based off a graphics novel by Frank Miller (Sin City) not a history book. So its unrealistic of course. And alot less romantic then you would think…because like 100 years later Sparta fell anyway.

It does talk about what the spartan men had to go threw (which is based in fact) then frank miller takes it to the next level for the battle scenes, making the spartans seem like gods (they dont wear anything in the movie besides a WWF style underware thing and a cape with a helmet) and the persians like devils from hell.

One thing i didn't like was the spartans kept talking about ‘freedom’ when in reality the spartans were pretty ruthless in their daily lives.

But the movie isn't supposed to be in line with the history books, because its not based off one.
ccs1989 at 9:42AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
I've never read the original graphic novel, so I don't know if they changed history in the story, but what actually happened was that the 300 guys, along with other forces, were trying to hold off the Persians until the Greek Armada could get their act together. But then the other forces left, leaving only the Sparatans, who were all slain, and the Greek Armada never got their act together, and the Persians won.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Priest_Revan at 4:29PM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
I (sadly) have not seen it yet.

I really want to.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
ozoneocean at 6:41PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
Yeah, the helmets suck dick cheese…

But the reality is that the Persians at the time were freer in their empire than the fascist Spartans ever were, in fact the Spartans made Nazis look like good blokes. But the story is ancient propaganda by the Greeks to make their terrible failure seem tragically heroic. That'd be ok, but they make the Persians out to be evil, ruthless devils which is very unfair, because everyone believes that's how the Persians actually were.

rengori at 10:56PM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
I got back from seeing this, and it was awesomesauce. Some parts were unintentionally funny, but it was still awesomesauce.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
fern at 11:03PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
rengori
I got back from seeing this, and it was awesomesauce. Some parts were unintentionally funny, but it was still awesomesauce.

you stole my awesomesauce word!!!

that is so not awesomesauce!
rengori at 11:42PM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
And you stole it from Strong Bad, so there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 6:48AM, March 11, 2007
(online)
And he stole it from Mega Josh!

Who stole it from Terminal!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
BigFishComic at 1:58PM, March 11, 2007
(offline)
Dude, I just watched 300 and there is seriously a noticeable lack of plot. It was also really really over-the-top cheesy at points and somewhat predictable? I hate films with 1-dimensional characters that you don't care about. I guess I was just expecting too much out of an action flick though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
ccs1989 at 2:12PM, March 11, 2007
(online)
If it was lacking in plot that's probably how the original graphic novel is too. I don't like to slam Frank Miller too much, because he's done some good stuff, but he's not exactly known for his masterful plots. He likes violence. Plain and simple.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
fern at 6:18PM, March 11, 2007
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
And he stole it from Mega Josh!

Who stole it from Terminal!

i stole it from terminal.
Phantom Penguin at 6:48PM, March 11, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Yeah, the helmets suck dick cheese…

But the reality is that the Persians at the time were freer in their empire than the fascist Spartans ever were, in fact the Spartans made Nazis look like good blokes. But the story is ancient propaganda by the Greeks to make their terrible failure seem tragically heroic. That'd be ok, but they make the Persians out to be evil, ruthless devils which is very unfair, because everyone believes that's how the Persians actually were.

Neither empire was really a great show of freedom. But yeah the helmets dont look great. It was a pretty bad mess, the greeks ended up winning the war ten years later. But the book makes it look like there were only the 300 spartans defending the pass, when in reality there was close to 7,000 soldiers, but it was indeed 300 spartans at the end, everyone else retreated and the spartans covered their retreat. So it wasn't so much as bravary as a military move.
Phantom Penguin at 6:50PM, March 11, 2007
(offline)
BigFishComic
Dude, I just watched 300 and there is seriously a noticeable lack of plot. It was also really really over-the-top cheesy at points and somewhat predictable? I hate films with 1-dimensional characters that you don't care about. I guess I was just expecting too much out of an action flick though.

Predictable? Its the battle of Thermopolye, how did you think it was going to end?

Thats like saying the Passion of the Christ was predictable.
BigFishComic at 7:17PM, March 11, 2007
(offline)
yeah, I meant that in a…I went into that movie knowing nothing about the historical shit it was based on or the novel and the smaller details were predictable. Like um…you knew the Hunch-backed fellow was going to do what he did and you knew that the other traitor wasn't going to keep his word to the queen? It also really bothered me that the messenger in the beginning just happened to back into some conveniently placed gigantic hole where the king could kick him off the edge of it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
fern at 7:35PM, March 11, 2007
(online)
BigFishComic
It also really bothered me that the messenger in the beginning just happened to back into some conveniently placed gigantic hole where the king could kick him off the edge of it.

who could have seen that coming?! it came from left field!
mlai at 9:10PM, March 11, 2007
(online)
Plot? Do you ask for plot when watching the Super Bowl??? What the hell are you watching 300 for???

Anyways, who cares who the good guys are? The important thing is that few stood against many, and that is enough. Heroism is not measured by subjective morality. If it were, there would be no ageless heroes.

Personally I think it would've been even better if the Spartans died to cover the retreat of the other Greeks, rather than simply commiting suicide to make an example of themselves. This movie is 99% hero myth and 1% historical fiction.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
ozoneocean at 2:15AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
mlai
This movie is 99% hero myth and 1% historical fiction.
I would dispute that. The entire premise is historical fiction, only the details are movie fiction, and the idea is hero myth. So if we're to use percentages then I'd say it was 50% historical fiction (the basis of the entire concept, setting, overall plot, story etc.), 50% movie fiction (the details of character interaction, dialogue, and plot intricacies), and also 100% hero Myth -because that is a different thing. :)

ozoneocean at 3:06AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
Neither empire was really a great show of freedom.
Persia was a large empire made up of many cultures who were each allowed to practice their own religions and customs within the larger empire, as long as they acknowledged the ascendancy of the king. Sparta on the other hand was a nation state ruled entirely by a small and brutal warrior elite who had absolute power. ALL other tasks except for fighting were undertaken by a class of slaves that were not considered Spartans, that includes everything from farming to shoemaking.

-Not that it matters at all in the context of a silly movie, but Persia was free, Sparta was not, in any sense. Even the empowered warriors were bound tightly by their roles.

Tantz Aerine at 4:16AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
I am very skeptical on seeing this movie, as I expect most greek history to be horribly distorted and everything… considering this is an adaptation from a comic, this makes me even more skeptical. (after all, it's being done all the time)

What Ozoneocean says is true about the state of ruling in Sparta. They were truly a warring nation and did everything through force and enforcing things. They are said to be the worst totalitarians ever to be part of Greek heritage. However, when it comes to battle on land they truly were formidable and warriors you would want to have on your side. The ‘with your shield or on it’ was fact as was all the legend around battle prowess and fighter's virtue.

The battle of Thermopylae was a good tactical move as it involves narrowing down an army's great number down to your own size because of a narrow pass. I am not sure how the Percians are protrayed in the comic/movie, but the Greeks did not portray them as devils. They scorned and looked down on them as overaffluent, unintelligent spoiled brats with little capacity for true war. Definitely not threatening because of their qualities- more because of the quantity, since the army was immense. As for the battle being lost at Thermopylae, this was more because of politics between the various city states and need to get rid of certain chaps (like Leonidas) than anything else. After that, propaganda about the heroic stand of these last 300 spartans (there were more along, just as if was said earlier) enraged and bound the Greeks together so much that they virtually won the war on the fuel of revenge.

I guess there's no such plot in the movie, is there?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
reconjsh at 9:09AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
So, all the “historical” and mythical things aside, is this a pretty good movie? I mean, if this weren't “based” on anything, would it be awesome?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
mlai at 9:21AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
Historical inaccuracies and cheese lines reminiscent of Bushism aside… this is an awesome movie. You leave the theatre with an uncontrollable urge to hit the gym.

This is not a chick movie, unless said chick wants to see tons of beefcake and doesn't mind blood, decapitations, WWF-style shouting, and lesbian teasing.

Do not watch this movie thinking you'll see any degree of historical accuracy.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
ozoneocean at 9:26AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
I see the problem here. Look you twits, there's not just the idea that it has anything to do with history, which it certainly DOES, there's the simple fact of what the story portrays. Really… sometimes I think people only want to appreciate any media from the level of a comic book type story- a plot with little real world context and almost no messages or implications about anything outside of itself.

That presents a very bleak and plain image… :(

reconjsh at 10:00AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
I see the problem here. Look you twits, there's not just the idea that it has anything to do with history, which it certainly DOES, there's the simple fact of what the story portrays. Really… sometimes I think people only want to appreciate any media from the level of a comic book type story- a plot with little real world context and almost no messages or implications about anything outside of itself.

That presents a very bleak and plain image… :(

I don't understand what you're saying… but I want to. Can you elaborate?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved