Random Discussion

4chan loves My Little Pony [Obviously, kind of NSFW]
therealtj at 11:57AM, Feb. 27, 2011
(online)
No, really.

Hasbro's 2010 reboot of the My Little Pony franchise is not only a success with the target demographic (young girls) but also with ADULT MEN. These men were so in love with the new MLP, they started spamming /b/ with constant pony threads. Now just typing the word “pony” results in a auto-ban. It hasn't deterred anything.

also, i'm back nowlol

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Dodger at 8:54PM, Feb. 27, 2011
(online)
/co/ is a warzone.

Didn't someone do a poll and it turned out the MLP is more popular with men ages 25-44 than the actual target age group?

Koji Takahashi Stops the World, full color, updating Mondays
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
therealtj at 5:15AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
Dodger
/co/ is a warzone.

Didn't someone do a poll and it turned out the MLP is more popular with men ages 25-44 than the actual target age group?

Go here and click statistics.

Yeeeah. Totally normal.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
ozoneocean at 6:28AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
Not a bad show. Looks pretty good! Waaaaaaay better than the original, that was lame.
therealtj
Yeeeah. Totally normal.
I see nothing wrong with it- people like good animation, decent voice acting, and reasonably well done stories, even if they are simplistic- doesn't make them bad.

Still, I imagine a lot of the attention is just ironic forum crap and will blow away once the next fad starts.

…There's something about that lovely flat muted colour animation style that's so inherently compelling though. @_@

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Dodger at 7:01AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
It's adorable and I can understand why people enjoy it for the animation and general quality. It's pretty impressive.

But man, people need to not be absolutely batshit about it. >>; It's easily the worst fandom on 4chan at the moment.

The worst.

The worst on 4chan.

ozoneocean at 7:28AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
Dodger
But man, people need to not be absolutely batshit about it. >>; It's easily the worst fandom on 4chan at the moment.

The worst.

The worst on 4chan.
Which is exactly the reason for its success. ;)

People there thrive on being super annoying dicks about stuff, being “in” on things, and being “ironic” in a very obvious, un-ironic way… Ponies are perfect for that!
Plus, once sex, race, scat, and violence jokes have become a bit passe, cuteness is just another weapon in the arsenal.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Dodger at 7:45AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Which is exactly the reason for its success. ;)

People there thrive on being super annoying dicks about stuff, being “in” on things, and being “ironic” in a very obvious, un-ironic way… Ponies are perfect for that!
Plus, once sex, race, scat, and violence jokes have become a bit passe, cuteness is just another weapon in the arsenal.

I assumed it was successful because it plays into waifu stereotypes. If you put the cast into archetypes, it's a lot like a Ken Akamatsu manga. : B

That can be said for a lot of things, but the thought popped into my mind the first time I saw it. GOIN WITH THE GUT 'ERE~

Product Placement at 1:08PM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
I've been aware of this pony craze for couple of weeks; knocked my socks off when I heard about this.

I blame this song. It's a proven fact that the more you watch it, the more addicted you'll become of the show.

Go on… You know you want to watch it.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
therealtj at 3:02PM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Not a bad show. Looks pretty good! Waaaaaaay better than the original, that was lame.
therealtj
Yeeeah. Totally normal.
I see nothing wrong with it- people like good animation, decent voice acting, and reasonably well done stories, even if they are simplistic- doesn't make them bad.

Don't get me wrong, it is a pretty good show, one of the best in recent memory, but it's pretty unusual that adult men are the MAJORITY VIEWERS over the pre-teen girl demographic the show is aimed at.

ozoneocean
Still, I imagine a lot of the attention is just ironic forum crap and will blow away once the next fad starts.
That would make sense if it were one or two videos that were getting so much attention, but every single My Little Pony video on Youtube has gotten views by adult men and filled up with their comments, even heated debates about the show. They even spawned their own Pony-based 4chan rip off.

I don't think this is one of those things that's just going away. They have a serious fan-base.

Product Placement

Why can't I stop watching this? ;___;

Product Placement at 3:25PM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
therealtj
Product Placement
Yes! YES! Watch it again! Feel the brony love!
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
blindsk at 10:43PM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
This sounds like something Nabokov would love analyze.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
BffSatan at 11:12PM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
ironic forum crap
^This.

It's not like I'd really expect many young girls to be watching TV shows on youtube anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Hawk at 12:55PM, March 2, 2011
(online)
Easily explainable. 4chan isn't complete without something innocent and wholesome to destroy. They're like a disturbed child who looks for helpless wild animals to torcher. My Little Pony is their new wild animal.

But on a side note, wow… the animation quality and design for the show are actually quite good. Its strong shapes and fluidity remind me of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. It sort of makes you think that kind of quality is wasted on a show about magical ponies. But really, little girls deserve quality entertainment too. More power to whoever made the show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Product Placement at 4:48PM, March 2, 2011
(online)
Hawk
But on a side note, wow… the animation quality and design for the show are actually quite good. Its strong shapes and fluidity remind me of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
Not that surprising, seeing as the creator of the show is Lauren Faust. She was the lead designer for Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends AND The Powerpuff girls and happens to be married to the creator of both those shows.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
itsjustaar at 2:10AM, March 3, 2011
(offline)
It hit 4chan, but not Fchan?

Inception!
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
crocty at 10:15PM, March 3, 2011
(online)
Wow that's pretty retarded!

Also what the fuck, I was expecting my tune to change instantly after I heard that song, but…

Then again I guess my sense of what is cool and what is not is a lot different from most people.

itsjustaar
It hit 4chan, but not Fchan?

Inception!
Why don't you go find out?

Wait. Have you?
THIS NEW SITE SUCKS I'M LEAVING FOREVER I PROMISE, GUYS.
NOT BLUFFING, I'M GONE IF YOU DON'T FIX IT.
Oh god I'm so alone someone pay attention to me
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Product Placement at 5:32AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
crocty
Also what the fuck, I was expecting my tune to change instantly after I heard that song, but…
I might be able to explain this. The group of people who seem to be most taken by this show are males ranging from early 20's to 30's; the same group who watched powerpuff girls as kids/teens and are at very least somewhat familiar with Foster's home for kids. If you're someone who liked either of those shows, there's a pretty good chance that this show will draw you in as well, being made by the same creators. Also, like Hawk points out, the production value of the show is actually quite good so that has an additional appeal to it as well.

Finally, one viewing of the song might not be enough for you, since your initial resistance is so high. Like my previous statement said; “the more you watch it, the more addicted you'll become of the show”, not “you'll become addicted after watching that clip”. One day you will be drawn to watching the clip again, which will edge you ever closer to the pit that therealtj has already fallen into.

Edit: I'm greatly enjoying myself, reading my posts in the voice of Xanatos, at the moment.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
rokulily at 10:25AM, March 4, 2011
(online)
Product Placement
therealtj
Product Placement
Yes! YES! Watch it again! Feel the brony love!

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
therealtj at 1:49PM, March 4, 2011
(online)
crocty

Maybe an actual episode will change your mind.

If this doesn't change your mind, you should go find a hospital. Your blood contains the cure to all this.

blindsk at 2:47PM, March 4, 2011
(online)
Product Placement
Finally, one viewing of the song might not be enough for you, since your initial resistance is so high. Like my previous statement said; “the more you watch it, the more addicted you'll become of the show”, not “you'll become addicted after watching that clip”. One day you will be drawn to watching the clip again, which will edge you ever closer to the pit that therealtj has already fallen into.

I've just noticed that a lot of the strangely addicting, yet very bizarre media that's hit the internets these days involve four-legged, hooved creatures. They're taking over.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Doodstormer at 11:10PM, March 4, 2011
(online)
So upon a quick runthrough of my bookmarks, I made the horrifying discovery that this topic was on every single forum I subscribe to.

Although I like that for once there's a kid's show that's actually a lot better than most of TV in terms of quality. I don't really like it enough to obsess over, but it's certainly good.
AQua_ng at 9:18AM, March 5, 2011
(online)
Why do these colourful horses have tramp stamps? I don't understand.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
therealtj at 2:25PM, March 5, 2011
(online)
AQua_ng
Why do these colourful horses have tramp stamps? I don't understand.
There's an entire episode dedicated to answering that.

And if watching colorful horses talk about a metaphor for periods doesn't strip your manhood from you, nothing will!

crocty at 2:46AM, March 6, 2011
(online)
therealtj
crocty

If this doesn't change your mind, you should go find a hospital. Your blood contains the cure to all this.
Well it, you know, the episode wasn't….

It wasn't perfect…

You know. It wasn't….THAT good.
therealtj at 11:10AM, March 6, 2011
(online)
crocty
therealtj
crocty

It wasn't perfect…

Well, alright. I guess you won't want to watch the concluding episode, then?

crocty at 11:40AM, March 6, 2011
(online)
therealtj
crocty
therealtj
crocty

It wasn't perfect…

Well, alright. I guess you won't want to watch the concluding episode, then?

I…
No. I will not…Want to watch…

…That…

No….
therealtj at 1:24PM, March 6, 2011
(online)
crocty
I…
No. I will not…Want to watch…

…That…

No….
All right, so it's settled. You might also want to avoid this YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MAST3RLINKX.

He has all the episodes up and most of them are in 720p. Obviously, you wouldn't want that.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved