Random Discussion

7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable
lba at 9:18PM, Dec. 16, 2008
(online)
I thought this was a remarkably thoughtful and to-the-point kind of article to find digging around on Cracked.com. It makes some interesting points about how our interactions online are different from reality. It brought up a couple concepts I hadn't really ever considered like how someone you might get along with in cyberspace could end up being a total ass from your perspective elsewhere. Overall, I just thought it was a good read and worth sharing for those who don't mind sitting through it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15231_7-reasons-21st-century-making-you-miserable.html
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
ozoneocean at 4:58PM, Dec. 17, 2008
(online)
Yeah, I read this. It seems a bit pessimistic to me, a bit extreme. Maybe that's the situation for some people now and maybe it'll be worse in the future, but I don't think it's really like that for the majority of people now.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Senshuu at 9:56PM, Dec. 17, 2008
(offline)
I really enjoyed that article. It expresses a lot of things I've been thinking about lately, particularly about how people can't put up with things anymore.

I mean, yeah, the article is extreme. It assumes that a person can't maintain an internet social life as well as a (more important) real social life, too. It's pretty much zeroed in on the kinds of internet people I've never known personally - the Myspace mass-friender “these actually are all my friends :)” type. (I at least know everyone I added in some way.)

And yeah, I complain about things, moreso on the internet because I'm less likely to annoy people when they can just glaze over it. But people who use the ‘net as an emotional dumping ground for every petty problem of theirs are just kind of unattractive. I could agree with the article there.

(And only really bad writers ((which is apparently most people, as evidenced in peer-reading exercises back in high school)) can’t communicate effectively in text. 40% of what you write shouldn't be lost on your recipient if you're doing things right. That's just a bit too much. Of course, nobody wants to write elaborate text messages, which I guess is why texting is shitty in the first place.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
piraterpg at 8:42AM, Dec. 22, 2008
(offline)
So let me see if I absorbed this message straight. The bad thing about the 21st century and the reason we are miserable is… because we don't have to put up with annoying people. And furthermore real friends should criticise you as much as possible for your own good….

Okay that sounds just as peachy as the Danish Jantelow: http://www.skovgaard.org/europe/denmark.htm#jantelov

www.drunkduck.com/pirateRPG
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Skullbie at 7:19PM, Dec. 22, 2008
(online)
guy who is miserable
I've also been called “asshole” and “cockweasel” and “fuckcamel” and “cuntwaffle” and “shitglutton” and “porksword” and “wangbasket” and “shitwhistle” and “thundercunt” and “fartminge” and “shitflannel” and “knobgoblin” and “boring.”
lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Skullbie at 7:25PM, Dec. 22, 2008
(online)
I really enjoyed #7 though, it hit home.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
lba at 9:53PM, Dec. 22, 2008
(online)
Number 7 seems to hit home a lot with people. Maybe it's because that's the part that tells you to get off your ass and do something for yourself or it might just be the language. I know I like that part because it happens to be the exact reason I love street art so much, because every day I walk by something I did and see someone who has stopped to take a closer look at it, makes me feel like I've actually accomplished something with my day. I can't even lie, after reading that, I decided to follow an impulse and leave my ex-fiancee a Christmas present on her doorstep. And it did actually feel good to do it.

I already decided to try out a few of those insults next time I'm in a stupid argument to see if I can make them laugh.

So let me see if I absorbed this message straight. The bad thing about the 21st century and the reason we are miserable is… because we don't have to put up with annoying people. And furthermore real friends should criticise you as much as possible for your own good….
It's basically saying that the only way you develop patience and a long fuse for putting up with shit is because you have to deal with the irritations, not that dealing with it makes you happy. You just learn to ignore the minor stuff better is all. and with the criticizing thing I think it's meant that good friends are the ones who are willing to take the risk of pissing you off by criticizing you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved