Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

a change of heart.my comic no more color for me : (
that kid yellow at 8:28PM, June 24, 2007
(online)
look i love color but hell it take to much of my time and im falling behind on the rank.I want to start doing some black white and gray but i dont know how and my line art kinda sucks can someone help me please!!!!!i kind want to do my stuff like naruto returns.if i can get this black and white down wit some shade n i be posting like crazy someone please give me a link or something please.lol
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Darth Mongoose at 3:19AM, June 25, 2007
(online)
Um, what? You're going to go from colour to screentones? Why on earth would you want to do that?
You know the reason manga use screentones is because it lowers printing costs, right? Colour is good on the web because you can use it without inhibition since there's no printing costs.

Okay, if you really want to do this, I'll tell you how to do it. Go to amazon and buy some of the ‘How to draw manga: computones’ books. Each one comes with a CD with a photoshop plugin and lots of tones (each one has more tones, so getting a few books is a good idea). The books come with a tutorial on how to use them. You'll have to scan your work at 300 or 600 dpi to use them, so keep than in mind.

When you're making a page in black and white, be sure to balance the light and dark areas. Also, people will notice mistakes and poor line quality more in b/w, so prush up your pen work. Maybe investing in a nib pen and ink would be a good idea for the nice line quality. Finally, since colour is more eye-catching, you will have to make pages absolutely show-stopping to get the same number of readers as you would with a colour comic. Of course, on the up-side, if you print it, it'll be cheap, because you can print b/w rather than greytones or colour. Personally, I reserve work in screentones for my print comics and work in media that would be expensive to print but I can use without trouble on a screen for my webcomic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
that kid yellow at 8:07AM, June 25, 2007
(online)
thanks for the tip
lothar at 8:06AM, July 1, 2007
(online)
i know what you meen ! color is a bitch on time ! i recently decided to stop using the computer to color my stuff and switched to copics and i can color the page in 1/4 the time !
i agree with darth that your color does set you apart from other comics , although i have often wanted to see what it looks like in just line art cuz the line art looks good ! a compromise i have been thinking about for my own comic is to use color for very other page or when neccessary , or just in a few panels , but i can't realy control myself when i start coloring .

If you're going to go B+W i would stay away from screantones for stuff you're going to put online, it looks terrible IMO , depending on the monitor, it can realy clash !
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
that kid yellow at 8:40AM, July 1, 2007
(online)
i think i just stick wit color now.lol
subcultured at 11:16AM, July 1, 2007
(online)
the more you color the faster you get
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
lothar at 4:46AM, July 3, 2007
(online)