Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

A Frustrating And Depressing Problem
unhappystar at 7:33PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
I have a problem that has to do with my comic. This is not a plug or a critique, so don't feel obligated to check my comic out.

I've been doing Unhappy Star for about a month now and I've been updating almost every day. I've gotten far more pageviews than I ever expected, hitting 2,000 at the end of September (the comic was started on September 3rd.) and then hitting 3,200 last night, which pushed me into the top 100 comic strips (not overall, just comic strips).
It seems like people enjoy my comic, which makes me overjoyed. The problem is that I don't want to keep doing the same thing over and over.

Unhappy Star has absolutely no literary value whatsoever, and little to no intelligence to it, either. I want to do something with a story, with characters that people can relate to, but I don't feel like it would fit at all in the comic. But I feel that if I changed Unhappy Star to fit those things, it wouldn't be the same at all. I don't know if I could keep it funny, either. I also have already plotted out and scripted an entire comic story that I'm proud of.

The phrase “If it isn't broken, don't try and fix it” comes to mind when I think about it, and I don't know if it's worth it to just scrap the progress I made and start over again, but I feel like I'm going to drive myself stupid if I keep doing the same thing over and over.

Maybe I'm just over-looking some very simple answer.

Any and all advice is welcome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
SomaX at 7:53PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
You don't have to change your story at all. Keep this comic the same. If you really want to try something different, then start another comic. Your updating scedual may have to change from every day to 3 times a week so you can work of the other project, but if it's as good as it sounds, you shouldn't have to worry about your ranking dropping too far.
~*~
#253 in Comic Book/Story #344 Overall ~*~ #383 in Comic Book/Story #517 Overall
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
JustNoPoint at 8:07PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
Don't work “to get into the top 100”. Work on stuff you like for that very reason. If you do not feel like working on your current comic then you should stop. Otherwise it will affect this comic negatively.

If you feel like starting a brand new story comic I would say go for it. You have to be into what you are working on more than anything.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
mlai at 9:29PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(online)
It's not easy to replicate success in a different comics genre. So if success and readership is part of what makes you happy, don't drop Star entirely.

Cut back on Star's update schedule, but do at least 1 update a week. Start a new account and do the story comic you want to do.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
marine at 11:15PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
I've been updating daily consistently since April. If you don't feel like doing what you do, do something else. You can have multiple comics on drunk duck now, something me and KC had to do with lots and lots of passwords and confusing screen names back in the day. Its not all that hard to start a second comic. You don't have to update everyday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Mattski at 1:08PM, Oct. 9, 2007
(offline)
Ditto what mlai said; keep doing Star and start a second comic (not necessarily a second account, though). If you're getting that many page views on Star, some of them are bound to click on a link to your second comic.

By all means, go for it!

Mattski
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
unhappystar at 9:03PM, Oct. 9, 2007
(offline)
Thanks, everybody, for all your advice. All of it really helped a lot.

I made some changes in my life and settled a lot of things, and I've made more time to pursue comics. It's something that I'm working as hard as I can to do, because comics are one of the few things that are genuinely fun and something I really feel a connection to.

So here's what I've got:

I'm cutting down Unhappy Star's updates to 2-3 times a week. While I'm doing these 2-3 updates a week, I'm going to be working on my serious comic. I've already set up the page for it (here on Drunk Duck, of course), and I feel really good about doing something so completely different than Unhappy Star.

Again, thanks for your advice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved