Media Megaforum

A GOOD Review of the Phantom Menace?!
ccs1989 at 7:59PM, June 10, 2006
(online)
My God, I just found a review by a bunch of fellow geeks that makes The Phantom Menace out to be a GOOD movie.

What's really amazing about this is that this website usually reviews movies with a particularly critical eye. They even gave some movies I really like lesser scores. And yet PM scored perfectly for them. They don't even mention Jar Jar except in passing reference.

So…I have a few theories on this. Either the fabric of the universe is coming apart, or it took a rewatching of the original triology to tell them how off they were. I don't know.

I'm very confused.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
jalford at 1:16AM, June 11, 2006
(online)
Either that, or it's George Lucus himself typing out online reviews under an assumed name while he sits at home in his Ewok PJs and still insisting that Jar Jar was a necessary character.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
jalford at 11:58PM, June 11, 2006
(online)
While we're on Star Wars, one of the biggest inconsistencies occurs at the end of Eps. 3. The Death Star I is already about finished, but the Emporer keeps it in storage for about 15-18 years. During that whole time that they had the Death Star, they never bothered to notice that one tiny open vent where if you slam dunked a photon(or is it proton?)torpedo down it, then the whole thing would blow up. Must've been something the original contractors put in their if Palpatine ever tried to screw them by not keeping up on his payments.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 3:19AM, June 12, 2006
(online)
equinox
Actually, in Star Wars episode 4, they mention that the Empire never really thought small ships would be a threat!
Ok, you mean the first movie right? This nerdy stuff is confusing… (not a criticism of you equinox, just a general gripe)

My take on this idea:

Well it’d be eminently logical and sensible for them NOT to even consider fighters if they were really building such a construction. They wouldn’t even bother with turrets and it’d probably have a zillion little “weak spots”. Long range fixed laser emplacements using lenses to direct them and an extensive network of sensors on the structure and in the form of millions of tiny satellites spread in a massive cloud throughout nearby space would ensure that any battle fleet would never even catch sight of the thing.

But the romantic fantasy movie logic that allows there to be something as silly as a space fighter is the same logic that allows the Death Star to be destroyed by them. It makes a great film, even if it makes crappy science fiction. Inconsistencies of that sort are largely irrelevant.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
marine at 4:33PM, June 12, 2006
(offline)
Its called “the internet” some people here think Brittany Spears writes great musical lyrics and that Chris Clairmont didn't ruin the x men.

Other people, liek myself, think Clairmont destroyed the x men, and Brittany Spears fails at life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
spambot at 4:18PM, June 14, 2006
(offline)
The good that came out of the “new” trilogy was the Clone Wars cartoon.
Oh, and several cool pieces for the Star Wars Miniatures game.

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
SpANG at 6:53PM, June 14, 2006
(online)
Aw, c'mon guys. Be fair.

The movie as a whole wasn't bad. The saber fights, the underwater scenes, C3PO's origin, heck, even the pod race was cool (although you really could smell a N64 game coming a mile away).

It was ‘okay". I wouldn’t consider it horrible. After all the years and the hype, how could it not have been at least a little disappointing?

If anything, Attack of the Clones was much more disappointing. Freakin' love story. :?

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
Stain at 7:54PM, June 14, 2006
(offline)
I thought PM was the only suck movie. I never understood why people hated 2 and 3.
Dirk Zephyrs
Stain is also pretty hot.
Lawl @ Homosexuality

K.A.L.A.-dan! Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
marine at 4:21AM, June 15, 2006
(offline)
spambot
The good that came out of the “new” trilogy was the Clone Wars cartoon.
Oh, and several cool pieces for the Star Wars Miniatures game.

What about the red guy with spikes on his face? He was pretty cool. His lightsaber had two sides. I've played like four games where you get to use that. Thats pretty damn cool.
ozoneocean at 7:39AM, June 15, 2006
(online)
You know the old saying about something being a “two-edged sword”? As dangerous to you as it is useful? Yeah, that's a STUPID saying thought up by a fucking imbecile: BOTH edges work for you.

But in the case of that double ended light sabre, it actually applies. With that thing you'd be at quite a bit more risk of self harm.

SpANG at 8:16AM, June 15, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
You know the old saying about something being a “two-edged sword”? As dangerous to you as it is useful? Yeah, that's a STUPID saying thought up by a fucking imbecile: BOTH edges work for you.
I think the saying was implying that there is no handle, in which there would be no way to control it without causing harm to yourself.

A double edged sword only works if you have something in the middle to hold it. :wink:

ozoneocean at 8:28AM, June 15, 2006
(online)
As far as I know the saying simply refers to any standard old fashioned double edged blade: the type popular in Europe since the Romans…

A blade without a handle would make even less sense, since not only is it a very silly notion, it wouldn't even be useful to the idiot who tried to use it. In fact the fool who attempted to utilise it would probably be the only one to suffer since he'd hurt himself and therefore prove extremely ineffective in whatever he tried to do with it, lending all possible adversaries an excellent advantage over him. :wink:
If the saying referred to such a blade, then the spirit of the saying would be different… It'd be talking about something that looked useful but would in fact be completely and absolutely useless.

So a double ended sword with a handle is at least a better compromise, since it really does proffer noticeable benefit and only possible (but very likely) risk, as the spirit of the saying suggests.

But I’d say the saying does imply the use of a normal double edged blade, since such things actually exist. It’s just based on poor knowledge of the use of such weapons. Like most sayings, a bit of ignorance helps them.
And the second edge can prove a little dangerous to the user, but only slightly.

-edit-
…I've thought about that one way too much… “Running the gauntlet" is another bugbear of mine, but less so since I know it’s not a logic problem but one of translation and the natural changing of the English language as a consequence, a very long time ago.
Yes, I am a dork.

SpANG at 9:52AM, June 15, 2006
(online)
Holy cow, ozone. You are over thinking it. It's a metaphor, not literal. :P

ozoneocean at 10:48AM, June 15, 2006
(online)
SpANG!
Holy cow, ozone. You are over thinking it.
I know. :(
SpANG!
It's a metaphor
A poor, cliched one. That's the point.

SpANG at 11:20AM, June 15, 2006
(online)
Yes, well disputing a long-time embraced and honored saying may prove to be a double-edged sword for you. :P

ozoneocean at 12:18PM, June 15, 2006
(online)
Yes, I'm finding that. :lol:

marine at 12:49PM, June 15, 2006
(offline)
We should make him run a guantlet.

I choose the green warrior. Oh, and Red Wizard needs food badly!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved