Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

A little help with tones, and keeping lines straight
Tcb at 10:21AM, Jan. 29, 2009
(online)
Hey Tcb here. yeah yeah the future featured artist hold you applause* I jk i jk :[*
well i am here to ask for help.Not only am i a artist, but i always have ideas to film like short dramas and etc. However i want to make a manga, and then later on film it so it can draw more attention to itself but not to over rate it. However, I always wanted to draw a manga about school and real life.But then the conflict of whether to do it Digital or traditional comes about. Digital is the only way to go cause i absolutely 110% need toning in my art. But i few things that i need tips and tricks on

1. When i draw. No matter how still i am or even if i do a line, 1 line for a whole day it will not be straight enough!!! >:O

2. I need my tones to be sync with my art and not look like it was plastered on as a bad layer.

I know layers and other stuff have to do with it. But i do not know how to make my art look nice. I am a good artist and its starting to frustrate me that maybe i've wasted my money on manga studio and a tablet. if i can't utilize it properly.

Look at this picture. Even though didgital art can look better these days and the program *Manga studio* Can do exactly just that i really don't know how T.T. the tones and stuff are there> for instance the guy in the middle. see how his outfit contrasts and is just not one tone?. What is the trick to being able to do that.Like move layers around etc?. Or is there a secret tutorial out there teaching how to do just that.I hope i am not demanding too much. :/. Or is there someone who can actually team up with me and help do the manga for me.I will be glad to here your tips and tricks* wrong place to be asking i know*.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
Skullbie at 1:03PM, Jan. 29, 2009
(online)
Not 100% sure what you're getting at so forgive me if i'm wrong, but manga studio isn't needed to make manga webcomics. It's mainly for pros/artists who are going to make print ready manga only.

I don't use mango studio but these are how to do it on photoshop:
1.Hold ‘shift’ to make a perfect straight line. Or use the line tool.

2. new layers with tones on them must be set to multiply, otherwise they look hideous over your linart. experiment with other layer settings to, the way to learn is to try.

3. His outfit is one tone, with a gradient effect applied over black ink. You can layer tones but that tends to look icky. Deviantart.com has some excellent tuts for screentones, including one for applying gradients properly. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
cetriya at 1:10PM, Jan. 29, 2009
(offline)
first off, scanlation images are low quality and have been heavely retouched.

Instead, show me a mistake of yours and I can help correct you.

as for toning, I have a tutorial but its in photoshop: http://www.mangarevolution.com/tutorial_display.php?tutorial_id=156
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Tcb at 4:00PM, Jan. 29, 2009
(online)
OK i understand that Manga scans become low quality but i am just saying of example. Digital art can look cleaner and better even up to par..

And my problem is just learning how to use Tones. I can't find any old art i did with manga studio. But that is my main issue at the moment. I have a manga to do and if manga debut isn't gunna cut it then does photoshop do well to make mangas?
cartoonprofessor at 4:34PM, Jan. 29, 2009
(online)
I don't know if this will help (photoshop once again), but when I colour my work I start a new layer UNDERNEATH my ink layer. I first colour in block colours… don't paintbucket as this always leaves a pixel gap between your colour and your line work.

Then ‘magic wand’ select your block colour and choose a large airbrush, adjust the ‘darkness’ or ‘lightness’ of the colour you are working with and airbrush in your shadows and highlights.

Another way is to select your block colour, add a shadow layer, airbrush with a large black brush, then adjust this layer's opacity to suit. Then do the same with a highlights layer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Tcb at 7:11PM, Jan. 29, 2009
(online)
soorry thats a good tip but it doesn't really help me with how to tone..no colors involved
Skullbie at 8:42PM, Jan. 29, 2009
(online)
Tcb
soorry thats a good tip but it doesn't really help me with how to tone..no colors involved
His techniques will work exactly the same with tone. :/

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Tcb at 8:16AM, Jan. 30, 2009
(online)
hmm ok. i will try it when my friend installs photoshop for me….someday. Hehehe
skoolmunkee at 9:44AM, Jan. 30, 2009
(online)
cartoonprofessor
I don't know if this will help (photoshop once again), but when I colour my work I start a new layer UNDERNEATH my ink layer. I first colour in block colours… don't paintbucket as this always leaves a pixel gap between your colour and your line work.

That is easily avoidable.

Make a copy of your lines layer, and lock your top lines layer just in case. In the lower layer, use the magic wand to select the areas you want to fill in and then select->expand 1 or 2 pixels (I mapped this to f12). THEN you can alt-backspace or ctrl-backspace to fill in your selected area. Since you expanded the area, the colors actually ‘bleed’ under the lines (which are preserved on an above layer) and you don't get the pixel gap.

I sometimes use a method where my line layer isn't multiplied, but is swapped over into one of the alpha channels. I only do that when I want to color my lines though, so it's no use doing on a b/w comic.

Unfortunately I can't advice too much with tones. Occassionally I will use a patterned brush (like if you want a large area of evenly distributed dots) but there are tutorials out there for ‘brush pattern’ better than me at showing how to do it. A pattern is not really the same as a tone, and probably doesn't work the same way in manga studio. :[
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Aurora Borealis at 12:47PM, Jan. 30, 2009
(online)
Check youtube for tutorials, I remember seeing some for Manga Studio.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
cetriya at 10:39PM, Jan. 31, 2009
(offline)
http://www.pencilkiller.com/tutorial.html

she's the official demonstrator of Manga studio. check out her tutorials
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Tcb at 6:57AM, Feb. 1, 2009
(online)
o.o!!! so much help and advice. different ways too.Thank u alot. erm It is becoming more clear to me now. i was just like really starting to worry about how i will draw my comic. cause i really wanna avoid traditionally it gets expensive especially when you have alot of pages to do. :[. and i don't know any independant artist who doesn't have a budget problem. ;D thanks guys if yu have any more ways you can still let me know. cause i can still learn more about toning

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved