Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Advice on buffers?
GracehFaceh at 7:43PM, July 11, 2009
(online)
Hey guys, I have a quick question for you.

Currently I have 5 pages done early (I update on Fridays, so I don't HAVE to post anything until next Friday), and I planned on posting a page everyday from this Monday to Friday as a treat to my readers. However, I'm starting to think that might be a waste. I started thinking that maybe I should keep some of the extra pages as a buffer, just in case I hit a writer's block or get really busy. Thing is, 1.) that never really happens and 2.) I don't know yet if this streak of making comics quickly is going to continue. Plus, I absolutely hate having to wait to post my newest comic!

So, what do you guys think would be the smartest thing to do? Post them, or keep them as a buffer?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 8:30PM, July 11, 2009
(online)
Well, if you wanted to do a “treat” thing for your readers, you could always make a tutorial (either video, or like this with pictures and such).

Or maybe sketches.

But if you REALLY wanted to give your readers more pages, I highly suggest only uploading one, maybe two at the most. Because as much as I know you want to upload the page now, you'll regret it later.

And buffers really all depend on how long it takes you to make a page, how much spare time you have, etc, etc.

I tend to have a lot of spare time, so I make a bunch of buffer pages. I once had like, 20 something.

10 is a good number, I'd say. That way, if you go on vacation, you have a whole 10 weeks of buffer, where you don't have to worry.

Some webcomic artists just live page to page. By that, I mean, they only make the page RIGHT before they upload it. It works for them, doesn't work for other people necessarily though.

Personally, I usually work ahead, although I may do that page to page thing. It's harder with 2-page a week comics. So that means I'd have to draw 2 pages every week just to keep up with my buffer.

But really, it's all up to you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
GracehFaceh at 9:16PM, July 11, 2009
(online)
Thanks, that's really helpful. :D

But if you REALLY wanted to give your readers more pages, I highly suggest only uploading one, maybe two at the most. Because as much as I know you want to upload the page now, you'll regret it later.

And buffers really all depend on how long it takes you to make a page, how much spare time you have, etc, etc.

I was thinking I'd probably, for the next two weeks, post twice a week and on the third week go back to my normal schedule since that would be the chapter cover anyway. (Maybe I should just start updating twice a week, since I'd probably have more comics done by then?) I personally don't like having it too big of a buffer because, as I said before, I like having the comic up as soon as possible because there's so much plot to get through. The reason I got all these pages done in the first place was because I wanted to get his chapter done and over with.

I have a load of free time and I can get my pages done in a day if I put my mind to it, but I don't know how that'll be once school starts (though that doesn't seem to have deterred me before.)

You're right though, I probably will regret it later, especially when I want a week off. So I'm dropping my original idea of the posting everyday.
Hyena H_ll at 11:03AM, July 12, 2009
(online)
Buffer! Go with the buffer!

I try to stay a chapter ahead of myself- which is apparently really anal. But having an entire chapter uploaded gives me months to finish the next one before I hit the last page. Because I have a healthy buffer, when some health stuff came up, and then I had to move across the damn country, it totally saved my ass. Sure, I had to cut back on updates (2 times a week to once a week) to give myself time to get a whole chapter ahead again, but I figure that's better than a hiatus!

It's hard to resist the urge to post what you've got immediately. And it sucks to see your hits go down when you're only posting once (or twice) a week if you're used to posting more often. But keeping a set update schedule actually retains more readers, and having a buffer of pages already uploaded allows you to work at your own pace instead of rushing pages to meet “deadlines”, or missing scheduled updates entirely. Plus, you can always increase your weekly updates if you get a large buffer, without havin' to sweat it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
mattchee at 9:03AM, July 14, 2009
(online)
GOOD LORD MAN, GO WITH THE BUFFER!

Seriously.

My recommendation is, keep your normal schedule, and go with the buffer idea. Changing your update schedule and then changing back, gives the impression of erratic posting. Its better to just keep on keepin' on and one day those buffer pages will come in handy!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
GracehFaceh at 2:30PM, July 14, 2009
(online)
Haha, okay, buffer it is. I was planning on changing my update scedule since once a month was going too slowly for me anyway. I don't think I'm gonna have any problems with updating for the most part, but it would be nice to have some freedom with it. Thanks everyone!
cetriya at 2:19AM, July 17, 2009
(offline)
reason why I wont keep to a buffer of complete pages (I have penciled and letter page buffers) is because I am a procrastinator in general so If I take a ‘break’ I will fall out of the mood of making comics.

Right now, I'm really trying to keep to a routine. At most, I work just 1 update a head.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved