Debate and Discussion

Afro-Centric Schools.
kyupol at 6:27PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=272389

Are you in favor of schools that separate blacks from the rest of the people?

Of course I dont. That is racism. You do not segregate people in multi-cultural societies.

What is next. Asia-centric schools? Arabo-centric schools? And every ethnicity will start making their own schools based on their own ethnicities.

Except white people though because if they do that the white people will be immediately branded as Nazis or something. lol!

If every ethnicity will segregate itself, that isnt a good thing.

That is the whole point of multi-culturalism and anti-racism. For the human race to work together. For the human race to destroy barriers of race instead of destroying each other because of race.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
crazyninny at 7:11PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
Wasn't the whole point of the Martin Luther King Jr.s teaching about bringing races together? Now people want to be seperated? I find that just going backwords from all the work our forfathers and mothers did for us so that we could live a better life than what it used to be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 7:26PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
Thank God, now I can finally be separated from all those other friggin' races, all racist and whatnot.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
zaneeba_slave at 8:38PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
Every race is an idiot except mine.

I dont know… it is an odd subject.
On one hand, all races should be equal and there should be no all-race schools.
However, on the other hand, what makes us think they dont WANT to have an all-black school? They have a Negro College Fund, so why not a school too?

Not trying to sound racist, but maybe they keep the schools so they can stay from racsism…. like a catholic school does.
I like to imagine myself as a goblin in a tuxedo. -Zaneeba_slave
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
Aurora Moon at 9:01PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
You have a point there, Zaneeba.

However… who isn't to say that Catholic schools are a way for parents to keep their kids in a small, narrow world where they cannot explore new things such as learning much as possible about other religions too? Thus ensuring that their children grow up to be mindless drones who doesn't know much about any other religion and believes blindly everything their priests tell them.

Now, I probably offended every Catholic and Christians out there with that statement. And I just want to say that The above doesn't basically express my “true view” on religion, much less Christan/Catholic viewpoints.

However, sadly, I have seen a lot of parents like the ones up above. They home-school or enroll their kids into those prative schools. All for the reason of ensuring that their children does not experience such diverse lifestyles, and for the sake of having their children know only what their parents want them to know.
They don't want their children to learn about other religions or other different types of lifestyles from a informed, neutral viewpoint. They want their children to view people with different religions as the ones who's “in the wrong, and therefore going to hell”. In other words, the parents and institutions like that are indoctrinating the whole “Us VS them” mentality.

Of course, not every parent are like that. I've been to boarding schools, and then homeschooled for a while. And my parents made sure that I was fully aware of the world out there along with all of the diverse lifestyles.
And there's many parents like mine out there. That's just the problem lies in both ends, where it has every possblity of backfiring on them.

As for Afro-centric schools… I once had a bad perm that wound up giving me an Afro as a child. Does that qualified me for those Afro-centric schools? (I'm white).
=P
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
zaneeba_slave at 9:05PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
You didnt offend me, Aura.

I am a freak-Christian, though, so I might be different from other people on this one…

rmmanuel at 9:32PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
Afro-positive is better than afro centric, but I understand the reasons. 1) Blacks suffer from a high level of negative media images (from within and from outside the culture). 2) In dominate anglo culture, black males are more likely to be seen as bad. They're unable to show anger or displeasure without harsher reprisals. 3) They're often tought things that are pro-anglo, which is probably unintentional.

The idea is that if a young person has an extremely positive sense of self, he or she will be more likely to build community.

I think I would put a child in something like it for K through 3rd grade. I think beyond that it starts to encourage a hostile way of interacting with the world.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
polo at 9:05AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
Whats next a month called black history month! Damn coloreds!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
SpANG at 9:34AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
Aurora Moon
You have a point there, Zaneeba.

However… who isn't to say that Catholic schools are a way for parents to keep their kids in a small, narrow world where they cannot explore new things such as learning much as possible about other religions too? Thus ensuring that their children grow up to be mindless drones who doesn't know much about any other religion and believes blindly everything their priests tell them.

Now, I probably offended every Catholic and Christians out there with that statement. And I just want to say that The above doesn't basically express my “true view” on religion, much less Christan/Catholic viewpoints.

However, sadly, I have seen a lot of parents like the ones up above. They home-school or enroll their kids into those private schools.

Is this a PRIVATE school though, or is it publically funded? I didn't see any documentation on that. I don't know if that matters, unless they intend to keep white people or other races from attending. The fact that you make an “afro-centic” school does not necessarily mean “no whites allowed”.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Hawk at 10:14AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
I'd be interested in seeing how this kind of school runs. My one worry would be that with that kind of homogenization, the children might be educated under an “us-versus-them” mentality and it would just breed more racism.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
polo at 11:07AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
Last time i've been in a middle school or high school the history books are pretty much all about white folks! Isn't that “eurocentric” in a way?! It doesn't teach Black, Latin or Natives children and young adults about thier history! Shouldn't American history books be about “all Americans” and not just one?!
Aurora Moon at 3:20PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
polo
Last time i've been in a middle school or high school the history books are pretty much all about white folks! Isn't that “eurocentric” in a way?! It doesn't teach Black, Latin or Natives children and young adults about thier history! Shouldn't American history books be about “all Americans” and not just one?!

Sadly, this can be conidsered true. However I have to point out that the same can be said of any other schools in other countries too. After all, it's the “Conquerors” who diciate how history should be written.
And snice it was English immgraints who successfully took over the whole of America, then of course for the most part it's going to be all about white english folks. After all, the last thing they want to do is seem like the bad guys in history for taking land away from Native Americans, etc.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
polo at 3:42PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
polo

Sadly, this can be conidsered true. However I have to point out that the same can be said of any other schools in other countries too. After all, it's the “Conquerors” who diciate how history should be written.
And snice it was English immgraints who successfully took over the whole of America, then of course for the most part it's going to be all about white english folks. After all, the last thing they want to do is seem like the bad guys in history for taking land away from Native Americans, etc.

White english folks don't want to look bad for slavery and taking the Natives land so they leave Latino, Natives and black contributions to this “United America” out the american history books in school! Thats almost like telling a child of color that they're not important to even talk about in school are anywhere! Your meaningless and don't have a history even worth discussing! Until that changes… I'm slowly starting to lean towards supporting the afro-centric school!
zaneeba_slave at 9:01PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
Why you calling me a white english folk?!
It makes me feel Amish…

And there is tons of african american history in american history. Thats why we have this “Black history Month.” And it usually isnt boring.

if they want to segregate themselves and live in their little perfect raced society, then by all means, go do it.

But then “Thats So Raven” is a lie!
Aurora Moon at 10:01PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
polo
Aurora Moon
polo

White english folks don't want to look bad for slavery and taking the Natives land so they leave Latino, Natives and black contributions to this “United America” out the american history books in school! Thats almost like telling a child of color that they're not important to even talk about in school are anywhere! Your meaningless and don't have a history even worth discussing! Until that changes… I'm slowly starting to lean towards supporting the afro-centric school!

Of course, I have to point out that White folks isn't the only ones who do this. As I pointed out earlier, It's Conquerors who write the history of any land. Take the history of Jewish people in the Arabian Peninsula, along with a number of diverse people who lived there.
Yet, nowdays it's mostly overrun by “Arab” people. And what do you think they teach in Arabic schools about the history of the Arabian Peninsula? They tend to focus more on the history of Arabic people, etc. Mainly because due to the fact that they want the people who happens to be the majority in that area to be able to indenfity with their history. As an result, they don't put empasis on the history of minorities in the area as much as they should.

And plus when you're teaching history about your “own people”…it's a little hard to be objective because nobody wants to feel like they're the “bad guy”.

Just take Japan and the history of “Rape of Kanking”. It was one of the most worse atrocity that Japan ever committed, and one of the reasons why Japan and China has such a difficult relationship right now.
And yet, in the Japanese schools when they teach about that history, it's made out to be “Not as bad as it seemed”, and they tend to water down the violence of that time period. There's even some schools that teaches that it “never happened” and that it was something that the Chinese made up, and that all of the lives lost was military only.

Everyone likes to put a little spin on their own history, especially when they want to stir up nationalism along the majority of their own country. Does this make it right? Of course not. But as Zeneeba pointed out, that doesn't mean that the history of minorities are downright ingored.

The history of minorities are still taught… that's just the majority likes to have their history taught more.
polo at 6:43AM, Feb. 13, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
polo
Aurora Moon
polo

Of course, I have to point out that White folks isn't the only ones who do this. As I pointed out earlier, It's Conquerors who write the history of any land. Take the history of Jewish people in the Arabian Peninsula, along with a number of diverse people who lived there.
Yet, nowdays it's mostly overrun by “Arab” people. And what do you think they teach in Arabic schools about the history of the Arabian Peninsula? They tend to focus more on the history of Arabic people, etc. Mainly because due to the fact that they want the people who happens to be the majority in that area to be able to indenfity with their history. As an result, they don't put empasis on the history of minorities in the area as much as they should.

And plus when you're teaching history about your “own people”…it's a little hard to be objective because nobody wants to feel like they're the “bad guy”.

Just take Japan and the history of “Rape of Kanking”. It was one of the most worse atrocity that Japan ever committed, and one of the reasons why Japan and China has such a difficult relationship right now.
And yet, in the Japanese schools when they teach about that history, it's made out to be “Not as bad as it seemed”, and they tend to water down the violence of that time period. There's even some schools that teaches that it “never happened” and that it was something that the Chinese made up, and that all of the lives lost was military only.

Everyone likes to put a little spin on their own history, especially when they want to stir up nationalism along the majority of their own country. Does this make it right? Of course not. But as Zeneeba pointed out, that doesn't mean that the history of minorities are downright ingored.

The history of minorities are still taught… that's just the majority likes to have their history taught more.

Where are minorty history taught in schools?

I had to edit this cause i know these fucks around here like looking for missssissed spellefrd wordfs!
polo at 6:44AM, Feb. 13, 2008
(offline)
zaneeba_slave
Why you calling me a white english folk?!
It makes me feel Amish…

And there is tons of african american history in american history. Thats why we have this “Black history Month.” And it usually isnt boring.

if they want to segregate themselves and live in their little perfect raced society, then by all means, go do it.

But then “Thats So Raven” is a lie!

A fucking month dude?! And then some folks get bent out of shape over a short month! Please!
kyupol at 9:47AM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
Ok. Why not from preschool to elementary school, minorities would be given the option to study the history of their respective point of origin.

Then in highschool to university, its all about Canadian or US history?

Fair enough?

I think Polo has a bit of a point there.

I also find it ridiculous that Datu Lapu Lapu is not in Western history books as the man who kicked Magellan's ass. While Magellan is in western history books.

Anyway I also studied Philippine history in detail back in the Philippines and I've noticed the same thing.

The Philippines is portrayed as the center of the world and is so important. When we studied WW2, the war front in Europe wasnt discussed much. It was all about the war in the Pacific against the Japs.

I only learned about Canadian and USA history on my own independent readings.
NOW UPDATING!!!
kyupol at 9:53AM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)

This may sound like another outlandish theory, but if lets say all schools in the world taught us that we came from the stars (Pleiadians, Sirians, Procionians, Tau-Cetians, Andromedans, Arcturians, etc. etc. etc.) or were once from Atlantis, Lemuria, or Rama, wouldn't that be more interesting?

Wouldnt that genuinely promote the idea of multi-culturalism and recognize the equal potential of all variants of the human race to be an advanced civilization?

NOW UPDATING!!!
Black_Kitty at 12:13PM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
I know that Kyupol has given a link to a news article but I still think that his initial post is a bit misleading.

An Afro-Centric school is not about separating black students from everyone else. An Afro-Centric school is a school with a particular emphasis on black history and achievement. The school will still be required to teach the Ontario curriculum but they may pull examples relating to black culture and history.

For example in grade 3 students may learn about early settlements in Upper Canada. In an Afro-Centric school, they will also learn about early settlements in Upper Canada but they may also look at the difficulties black early settlers faced during those times. Or in a high school art class, there may be examples of African art or mentions of black artists.

An Afro-Centric school is not restricted to only black students. Any student can enrol in it. Whether non-black students will actually enroll in an Afro-Centric school is another matter altogether but that in itself is out of the school board's hands.

The reason an Afro-Centric school is being proposed (and recently approved) is due to two main reasons:
1. In Toronto there are over 30 alternative schools. The school board is required to review requests for an alternate school provided that there is a legitimate need for it. An Afro-Centric school is an alternative school.
2. It is being suggested that there is a 40% dropout rate among black students in the Toronto District School Board.

There are other things that is worth noting regarding this issue:
1. The provincial government is NOT going to fund it. The premier disagrees with the idea and suggest that black history be integrated into the curriculum. This is pretty significant since this is the same school board that just under a year ago was caught funding building repairs with the ESL budget. It does NOT have a lot of cash and an Afro-Centric school will need cash in order for it to be operated properly.

2. The suggestion being made is that an Afro-Centric school will engage disengaged students. They will be more interested in going to school to learn more about their cultural history and accomplishments. They will feel a sense of pride and it will build self confidence. This however raises some interesting ideas. If a student requires lessons about their own cultural history in order to be engaged in the classroom, then how will an Afro-Centric school work for non-black sudents? And black history is a very broad topic. What part of black history will be taught? Will African history be taught to students regardless of whether or not they are African? Does it even matter?

3. Currently the closest example to the Afro-Centric school in Toronto is the Native school. However the Native school is not Native American-centric in that the curriculum doesn't have a Native American slant towards it. It is also terribly underfunded and is doing VERY poorly.

Oops, time to go home from work.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
zaneeba_slave at 5:08PM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
I think Polo is an angry black man…

no offense.
StaceyMontgomery at 6:04PM, Feb. 13, 2008
(offline)
I don't really get the point of saying something offensive and then saying “no offense”. It's like slapping someone and then saying “I hope that didn't sting!”

Obviously you hoped it would sting.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
zaneeba_slave at 6:59PM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
Does he not apper angry, and does he not appear to call us “white folk?”

He is either spanish, asian, or black. I assume he's black, for he is posting in the “Afro-centric” thread.

Therefore, he is an angry black man.

If he wasnt angry, he would be a normal guy. If he wouldnt be angry, then I wouldnt assume anything.

Therefore, I mean no offense to calling him an angry black man.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved