Debate and Discussion

America is watching the first amendment decay very slowly...
nighthawk41 at 10:29AM, March 10, 2007
(online)
Is it just me, or is America becoming less America? I love America, I am not ashamed to be an American, I am proud in fact, and I think we are getting yelled at for the wrong things, but even I think that America is slowly decaying. We should just throw the first amendment in a fire, let all the democrats republicans jack off it it, come on the charred remains, and get it over with. What proof do I have to back this up?

The FCC- According to Republicans, if we censor the word “fuck,” there will be less trouble in the world. I want to try something real quick-
You're such a god **** *** hole, mother ****er.
Be honest here- you knew what I was saying. The censors did nothing. You could figure out what I was saying. Nobody's going to go “wait, he said ”you're such a god fish lol hole mother cranker? WTF LOL!“
OMG MY SON LISTENED TO SLAYER AND KILLED SOMEONE! Allright listen to me- the fact that your son listened to Slayer had nothing to do with it. Most of these kids were abused by their parents, and other people. Blaming Slayer is some bullshit excuse for bad parenting. Fuck you. I love their song ”Necrophobic“ (the lyrics- Ripping apart, severing flesh, gouging eyes, tearing limb from limb!) and have I gone on a shooting spree? Hell no. I try to avoid fights when I can too. I have never even THOUGHT of murdering someone. And my parents take damn good care of me. Censoring everything won't do shit. Fuck you.

The unfairness doctrine- I refuse to call it ”the fairness doctrine" because that's not what it is. For those of you who don't know, back in the seventies, it was said that for every right wing/ libertarian radio show, there must be a radio show after it pointing out fighting views (for example- the right-wing show explains why executing Saddam was a good idea, the radio show after it bashes the idea). It's fine if you do that at your own free will, but if it's forced, that is complete and utter bullshit. Newgrounds posts left-wing shit on their front page all the time, I have never seen any cartoons on the front page with right wing views, but I'm not going to try and pass an amendment saying that they need to have opposing views on their page too. Why? Because it's their website, and they can do whatever the fuck they want with it.
Anyway, the unfairness doctrine lost effect some time in the seventies or eighties, but now the democrats are trying to bring it back. It failed once again, and the persistant die-hard liberals are trying it once again. (problem is, they announced this on american radio, so noone really heard it) What if every time we posted a topic in the debate section, we had to post opposing views in the same post?

Banning the n-word- Yes, I think the word is ugly too. I don't know what goes on through black people's minds when they hear the word. Why? Because I'm not black. That's why I would never say it just to get laughs, or to insult someone. But banning the word is just fucking retarted.

Sorry if the rant was a little muddy, I stayed up pretty late last night.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/nighthawk41/BodomBeachTerrorsig.png Edited by Admin.
Please make your sig either 250 x 100 or 468 x 60 pixels. Thankyou.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
rengori at 1:07PM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
You forgot to mention anything on political correctness in general. Like, one time, I was telling my friend about a thing another friend of mine did, used the word “retarded,” and then the teacher heard me say this and yelled at me about how it could offend someone. But it was a retarded thing to do, he was walking on the framework of an unfinished patio on the second floor of the house, then said, “Whoa, this is like termite wood,” and still kept on walking on the patio and then one of the boards snapped underneath him (he grabbed onto another board, he's okay). He wasn't born retarded, I was just saying how retarded it was for him to keep on going after stating it was “termite wood.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 6:59PM, March 10, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, because lots of retarded people will understand what you're talking about. This is another example to go along with my post in the “N Word” thread.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
lothar at 11:28PM, March 10, 2007
(online)
SLOWLY ??? where the "FU“ have you been ?? i would say it is happening rather closer to the speed of light !!! 10 years is not a very long time in the history of this country , and just think of all the things you could do then , that you cant do now ! theres a lot !!!
and —- SLAYER ? when was the last time Anybody was talking about slayer ?
the USA will hencforth be know as the USSA ! (the extra ”s“ is for ”STUPID“ !

oh and, Nighthawk, i NEVER said ”i hate america" , so dont twist my words like you did in that other thread
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
reconjsh at 8:17AM, March 11, 2007
(online)
Someone
10 years is not a very long time in the history of this country , and just think of all the things you could do then, that you cant do now ! theres a lot !!!

Out of curiousity, what could I/we do in 1997 that we can't do now in 2007? I can't really think of much… and I definitely can't think of “a lot”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
nighthawk41 at 9:36AM, March 11, 2007
(online)
and —- SLAYER ? when was the last time Anybody was talking about slayer ?
Their latest album (christ illusion) caused quite a bit of controversy. Google the album cover, you'll see why.

the USA will hencforth be know as the USSA ! (the extra “s” is for “STUPID” !
This is completely irrelevent to anything that is going on.

oh and, Nighthawk, i NEVER said “i hate america” , so dont twist my words like you did in that other thread
Let's see here- You called america stupid, you said it was a relatively violent country (in the thread you gave us a link to) and I don't EVER remember you saying a good thing about it. I take back nothing.

Oh and contrary to what your sig says- learn english.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/nighthawk41/BodomBeachTerrorsig.png Edited by Admin.
ozoneocean at 9:45AM, March 11, 2007
(online)
Don't make it personal guys, especially you Nighthawk41! You're being more personal than Lothar is. Stop it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
CorruptComics at 5:46AM, March 12, 2007
(offline)
reconjsh
Someone
10 years is not a very long time in the history of this country , and just think of all the things you could do then, that you cant do now ! theres a lot !!!

Out of curiousity, what could I/we do in 1997 that we can't do now in 2007? I can't really think of much… and I definitely can't think of “a lot”.

Try nothing. If south park can do the shit episode, ATHF can do the dick epsiode, and the Colbert Report and Daily Show run unimpeded I'm not seeing a problem.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
reconjsh at 9:17AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
CorruptComics
reconjsh
Someone

Try nothing. If south park can do the shit episode, ATHF can do the dick epsiode, and the Colbert Report and Daily Show run unimpeded I'm not seeing a problem.

I agree Corrupt… seems fine to me.

Sure, you can't bring a bottle of soda on to an airplane, but I don't think we're even close to the “1st amendment erroding away” “swiftly” or “slowly”.

I'd still like to see some example from the person who made that original claim.
nighthawk41 at 9:27AM, March 12, 2007
(online)
I already made 3 examples in the first post…
CorruptComics at 1:22PM, March 12, 2007
(offline)
Alright.

#1: Who prevented Slayer from putting out a record?
#2: The fairness act probably won't come back. Even if it did, all that's doing is making sure the American public won't ever be forced, eventually, to hearing only ONE viewpoint on matters both public and political. What's better, a free America where the goverment forces both sides to be examined or a communistic Russia where the other view is OUTLAWED.
#3:
BBC News
The resolution to ban the so-called “N-word” in New York is largely symbolic as it carries no weight in law and those who use the word would face no punishment.

Yeah… that's harsh.
reconjsh at 1:36PM, March 12, 2007
(online)
nighthawk41
I already made 3 examples in the first post…

No you brought up 2 examples of things that DIDN'T decay the first amendment since neither was passed. And the 3rd is a symbolic resolution, not a law.

So… some examples of things that are ACTUALLY decaying the 1st ammend?
nighthawk41 at 4:43PM, March 12, 2007
(online)
CorruptComics
#1: Who prevented Slayer from putting out a record?
I didn't say slayer was censored. However, south park was, beavis and butthead… Many shows and videogames were censored.
#2: The fairness act probably won't come back. Even if it did, all that's doing is making sure the American public won't ever be forced, eventually, to hearing only ONE viewpoint on matters both public and political. What's better, a free America where the goverment forces both sides to be examined or a communistic Russia where the other view is OUTLAWED.
FORCED to hear one side? Who said they were forced? People have the right to put both sides on their show if they want to, they just don't choose to. Free america where the government forces things? Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that sentence?
#3:
BBC News
The resolution to ban the so-called “N-word” in New York is largely symbolic as it carries no weight in law and those who use the word would face no punishment.

Yeah… that's harsh.
The article I read didn't say that…
Jillers at 5:02PM, March 12, 2007
(offline)
The article was wrong then, because, as I've heard it, living in NYC and all, it's just a ban with no legal repercussions behind it.

I will agree that America seems to be going downhill - but the only time Americans give up a lot of their freedoms are when terrible things happen and right afterwards they want to feel safe.
We're a culture with excellent hindsight, and the laws to fix the mistakes we let happen.
Soo… what's stopping everyone from changing things that are so terrible?
Cause, last time I saw, we were still allowed to speak out against our president, protest things we don't like, etc…
I mean, if we couldn't say “Man, I hate Bush” without going to jail, then, yeah. But, nope. It's still fair play for civilians.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
CorruptComics at 5:46PM, March 12, 2007
(offline)
Videogames are not censored. They have to meet certain requirements to obtain their preferred rating. If they CHOICE to censor their own fucking game in order to obtain a rating they feel will generate the most profit, that's their own lack of conviction. Not the goverment forcing them to take shit out.

South Park has only become more insane as time goes on. They were censored more in the past than they are today.

As for being forced to hear two sides of an argument. No one is shoving your face to the radio at gun point and telling you to listen to what the other people are saying. You can choose to be narrow minded and only listen to the side you have already predetermined has the the correct thoughts and ignore the other side. A station should present both sides. If you're doing a god damned political radio show it would be un-American to only present the people one side of an argument.
rengori at 7:26PM, March 12, 2007
(offline)
CorruptComics
South Park has only become more insane as time goes on. They were censored more in the past than they are today.
I think Nighthawk was reffering to Cartoon Wars, where the image of Muhammud was censored out, despite the very basis of the show being about whether or not Family Guy should show Muhammud uncensored and allow free speech to remain in tact, and also the fact Muhammud has been shown in South Park before.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
nighthawk41 at 8:17PM, March 12, 2007
(online)
CorruptComics
As for being forced to hear two sides of an argument. No one is shoving your face to the radio at gun point and telling you to listen to what the other people are saying. You can choose to be narrow minded and only listen to the side you have already predetermined has the the correct thoughts and ignore the other side. A station should present both sides. If you're doing a god damned political radio show it would be un-American to only present the people one side of an argument.

Like I said, if you want to show both sides, fine. But you shouldn't be forced to do so. It's not unamerican to speak what you want to speak on the radio- It's unamerican to force people to say certain things on the radio.

Jillers
I will agree that America seems to be going downhill - but the only time Americans give up a lot of their freedoms are when terrible things happen and right afterwards they want to feel safe.

OMG METALOCALYPSE SHOWED SOMEONE GOUGING THEIR EYES OUT!

That kind of terrible thing? Yea, if we don't censor that world war 3 will break out.
CorruptComics at 3:04AM, March 13, 2007
(offline)
nighthawk41
It's unamerican to force people to say certain things on the radio.

You're not getting this whole censorship thing at all are you?
Vagabond at 8:28AM, March 13, 2007
(online)
50 years ago, characters on “I Love Lucy” were forbidden to say the word “pregnant,” as it was considered an obscenity and instead could only refer to Lucy as “she's going to have a baby!” and nothing more.

… Tell me, how is television being censored more?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
nighthawk41 at 9:29AM, March 13, 2007
(online)
CorruptComics
nighthawk41
It's unamerican to force people to say certain things on the radio.

You're not getting this whole censorship thing at all are you?

And this relates to what I said… How?

Vagabond
50 years ago, characters on “I Love Lucy” were forbidden to say the word “pregnant,” as it was considered an obscenity and instead could only refer to Lucy as “she's going to have a baby!” and nothing more.

… Tell me, how is television being censored more?

When did I say it was being censored more?
Vagabond at 8:23PM, March 13, 2007
(online)
Typically when someone starts a topic with the title, “America is watching the first amendment decay very slowly,” you're talking about it getting worse. :p
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
nighthawk41 at 1:45PM, March 14, 2007
(online)
So the FCC is censoring less. They're still there, and there are still other things happening that put the first amendment in jeapordy.
Priceman at 2:45PM, March 14, 2007
(online)
I did a thread kind of similar to this.

http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=25135&cid=241

But to put is shortly: I agree with you.

P.S.

nighthawk41
Banning the n-word- Yes, I think the word is ugly too. I don't know what goes on through black people's minds when they hear the word.

Basically, it's like this.

Hear it from:

Another black person: It's cool, it's my brother/sister

Mexican/Latino: Oh well, s/he's treated just as badly. They may as well be black too.

Other minority: Whatever, just don't get too comfortable with it.

White person: Just because your ancestors did it back in the day, doesn't mean i'm gonna stand for it now! Break yo' self!

Tune in next time for another episode of “Ask a Black Man”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 2:49PM, March 14, 2007
(offline)
White people are a minority if you consider the whole world, but since this is an English word we'll stick to America. I just really wish someone would think of a slur good enough to push us back.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
CorruptComics at 3:14PM, March 14, 2007
(offline)
nighthawk41
So the FCC is censoring less. They're still there, and there are still other things happening that put the first amendment in jeapordy.

Name them, right now.
Priceman at 3:31PM, March 14, 2007
(online)
CorruptComics
nighthawk41

Name them, right now.

Political Correctness. Period.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
CorruptComics at 3:33PM, March 14, 2007
(offline)
How?
Rich at 3:53PM, March 14, 2007
(online)
If there is any real censoring going on by the US gov't, they would never let us know about it. By allowing such extreme stuff as offensive music and tv shows to stay around, we assume the first ammendment is still in place.

For all we know, they may have censored nigh limitless amounts of stuff without us ever knowing. Fact is, you can not trust the US gov't. Even if they haven't censored stuff covertly, what's to prevent them from doing it in the future? We'll never know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
CorruptComics at 4:11PM, March 14, 2007
(offline)
Unless they're going around and silencing the people who made the things they're censoring chances are someone, by now, would have heard about it.

People give the goverment too much credit in terms of power.
Jillers at 4:12PM, March 14, 2007
(offline)
nighthawk41
OMG METALOCALYPSE SHOWED SOMEONE GOUGING THEIR EYES OUT!

That kind of terrible thing? Yea, if we don't censor that world war 3 will break out

No, like 9/11

Let's remember that after 9/11 people accepted the Patriot Act because they wanted to feel safer
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved