Media Megaforum

American Pop
PIT_FACE at 2:16PM, Sept. 8, 2009
(online)
has anyone seen this movie? it's a Ralf Bakshi film and i've just been completely blown away. basically it chronicals American pop culture from world war 1 or so to the 1980's. amazing,fluent,life like animation and it says very interesting.

here's the first few parts of it.the rest's on youtube and at most video stores i've seen..if you still have any by you.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Skullbie at 3:46PM, Sept. 8, 2009
(online)
W-woah did they animate this by taking real footage and drawing over it? The motions are so fluid and real it's crazy :0

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
fern at 3:56PM, Sept. 8, 2009
(online)
Woah that's insane! A pink YouTube box! Oh and the video too, heh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
patrickdevine at 4:08PM, Sept. 8, 2009
(online)
Oh hells yeah! This is one of my all-time favorite movies! And yeah Skullbie, I think it's mostly rotoscoped. Tony's segment was my favorite, and it has my favorite Bob Dylan cover.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
PIT_FACE at 5:07PM, Sept. 8, 2009
(online)
patrickdevine
Oh hells yeah! This is one of my all-time favorite movies! And yeah Skullbie, I think it's mostly rotoscoped. Tony's segment was my favorite, and it has my favorite Bob Dylan cover.

yeah,Ralf's the retroscope king. i think Tony and Pete's are my favorite,buts it's so hard to pick.

i think Heavy Traffic's next on my list to watch.

hell,he's even made Fritz the cat and Fire and Ice which i think involved Frazetta as well.

watch the full movie and you definatly see some Death Dealer in there. ;)
i've been hooked on this guy all day becuase there's been movies that've really impressed me throughout my whole life,but i dont get to see them often so i didnt realize that most of em were made by the same guy!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
lefarce at 8:24AM, Sept. 9, 2009
(online)
I am the only person in the world who did not enjoy Heavy Metal (though I love the rest of this guy's work). Opening scene was great but nothing else in that movie did it for me.

Also you're thinking of rotoscoping as the process of animating over footage, not “retroscoping”, I dont think thats even a word. If done right it can be a great tool to enhance animation (case in point: his films, or Waking Life). In some cases it can make everything look like shit.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Hawk at 8:57AM, Sept. 9, 2009
(online)
lefarce
Also you're thinking of rotoscoping as the process of animating over footage, not “retroscoping”, I dont think thats even a word. If done right it can be a great tool to enhance animation (case in point: his films, or Waking Life). In some cases it can make everything look like shit.

Yeah, rotoscoping has been incredibly common throughout animation history. The ones who do it well adapt the movements to the shape of the character well enough that you can hardly tell it's rotoscoped. In Snow White, compare rotoscoped Snow White and the Queen to the rotoscoped dancing dwarves. I won't say the more human characters look bad, but there's definitely a little bit of “uncanny valley” in the way they animate.

I've never been a fan of Ralph Bakshi, though I'll admit I've only seen about half of his stuff. I think in his work rotoscoping becomes too obvious and even starts to look like a shortcut. Plus, he's so focused on being subversive that I have a harder time liking his characters and stories.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
ozoneocean at 9:01AM, Sept. 9, 2009
(online)
lefarce
I am the only person in the world who did not enjoy Heavy Metal
I didn't either. -_-
Maybe I was just expecting too much at the time though? Everyone had built it up so huge.

Loved Fire and Ice, but it was probably a bit adult for me when I first saw it. Hated Lord of the Rings. Loved Wizards.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Product Placement at 4:32PM, Sept. 9, 2009
(online)
I never saw the lord of the rings cartoon and I think I'm supposed to be glad about that fact.

All these old cartoons reminded me of this one title that I saw when I was tiny. It took me a while to find it since I had long forgotten the name if it but it was called Starchaser: The Legend of Orin. When it came out it was criticized heavily for looking too much like Star Wars to the point that the reviews from The New York Times wondered why Lucas hadn't attacked it with an army of lawyers.

I didn't see Star Wars until years later and thus was unaware of those charges but now that I see that trailer I understand what they were talking about.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved