Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Americans?????
CharleyHorse at 5:38AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
The only American rudeness I've seen here in Aus is to service staff. I suppose that's because in America things are a little different, service staff wages are a lot lower and they have to work harder and be nicer to get tips. Here service staff are paid better. The tip culture has come in from the US but they don't need it, staff aren't a class bellow while they're working, if you know what I mean…?

ozoneocean, it's not just the difference in wage scales between U.S. and Australian wait-staff. My first legal job was in retail sales. I was a stock clerk and a floor clerk, and so I spent a great deal of time waiting on customers.

Now, the pay wasn't anything to write home about but the cost of living was way lower in those days and, frankly, hardly anyone was earning big bucks in anything outside the big name professions anyway, and so a goodly number of people were in the same boat as wage earners.

Everyone from the lowest of the low to the manager and even the owner of the company acted like polite subservients to even the scruffiest looking customer because we were representing the company and were expected to be respectful, courteous, and eager to please because that was the image that the owner wanted to present of his company, from top to bottom. This was far from an unusual perspective across the nation in those days.

Well, in the early 1980s wage disparity took off like a rocket and Ronald Reagan worshiping yuppies began to put on the big-head where job classification differences were concerned. This ‘I’m better than the rest of you' attitude somehow worked its way down into the retail level in many areas of the country at that time and for a while things got rather grim for the customer. You actually got treated with rudeness and deliberate spite by people who were supposed to be representing their company to the purchasing public.

Then during the 1990s and into the 2000s wages REALLY separated the economic classes. Now it IS pretty much the way you described things above and now you have a great deal of unctuous service from people simply terrified of losing their low paying job because their crush of bills could eat them alive before they could land another low paying job.

So, yeah, NOW it is pretty much the way you described it, but it wasn't always that way and the older people do recall when retail level workers were polite and helpful simply because that was the very nature of the job itself.

The roots of the servile and ‘smile like a prostitute’ retail presentation come from actual tradition but has since degenerated on the whole to stark terror of the financial gun-at-one's-head kind. It's damn sad and revolting.

Being polite and courteous and helpful because this is an intelligent business custom is one thing; being the same because you are terrified of the consequences of losing, even for a brief time, your only source of income, is very, very bad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
shaneronzio at 8:30AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
giadrosich
Most Americans probably shout because they figure they own everything already and feel quite at home whereever they are!

Wow, Americans own everything?

that is news to me!
I guess I will just Kick Back, and relax…

oh, thats right!
I have to work.

I have to say that generalization is a nasty thing.
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Custard Trout at 9:04AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
shaneronzio
giadrosich
Most Americans probably shout because they >figure< they own everything already and feel quite at home whereever they are!

Wow, Americans own everything?

that is news to me!
I guess I will just Kick Back, and relax…

oh, thats right!
I have to work.

I have to say that generalization is a nasty thing.

Buuuh hurrr.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
kyupol at 1:18PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite

On the roads, expect ALOT of rudeness. People cutting you off and honking unnecessarily (for going at the speed limit or for stopping at stop signs when there's someone trying to cross, or during a left turn when turning woulda killed me.) and not letting you lane change.

They make me wish I was driving a tank. seriously. >:

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
SarahN at 1:23PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
kyupol
Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite

On the roads, expect ALOT of rudeness. People cutting you off and honking unnecessarily (for going at the speed limit or for stopping at stop signs when there's someone trying to cross, or during a left turn when turning woulda killed me.) and not letting you lane change.

One reason why we need more public transportation.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
crazyninny at 1:30PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
kyupol

If you could afford a tank, why the hell would you get one anyways? Get a jetpack like us normal Americans do! *Flys off on hers.*
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Harmonious D at 4:04PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Okay well some of us americans are just rude and others of us are just uh well nice in some sence of the word, but really if you think about it's a possibility that they think if they shout loud enough that you can understand what their saying…I dunno.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Short_Circuiting at 4:42PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
i live in america, north carolina, to be precise, and i don't know what you're talking about. everybody is an obnoxious a-hole here.

seriously, please get me out of here. i'll give you gingerbread cookies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:35PM
kyupol at 5:05PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
I've heard reports about the USA:

- has sexist laws (that favour the female gender) far worse than Canada but slightly better than the UK.
- has legions of homeless/jobless/or just dirt poor people in the streets
- has a high crime rate. As a result of the skyrocketing poverty of course. :(
- has a high wage gap where the fat cats make $400 for every $1 their rank and file workers make.
- has a high rate of government and business corruption.
- at least 100 people in the USA die or get injured by guns everyday.
- is a police state that can kill 3000 of its own citizens to justify their enslavement.
- has hundreds of secret prisons being constructed
- is the most dog-eat-dog society on earth
- has hundreds of thousands of people on prozac or having mental disorders
- is a very lucrative market for drugs.

and last but not the least:

- has sold the whole planet earth to the Greys and Reptilians. lol!

If all the above are true, then I think that explains American ‘rudeness’. I think I'll morph into my most assholeic state under those conditions. lol!
crazyninny at 7:00PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
kyupol
- has hundreds of secret prisons being constructed

Damnit, STOP SPYING ON MY TAKE OVER OF THE WORLD. GGGEEESSS!!!
Back in the old days, you could build secerty buildings and such, but now adays its all, ‘What are you doing?’ ‘Why do you have a farm of Godzillas in the backyard?’ ‘Why is the portal of Hell opening up in your bathroom?’.
Short_Circuiting at 8:22PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
crazyninny
'Why is the portal of Hell opening up in your bathroom?'.

You mean the *Otherworld? Well, we can thank West Virginia for that. I guess that's why we are such a bad nation… xP

*Silent Hill.
phinmagic at 9:25PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Alot of us are quite dumb and think that by yelling , you'll understand our language/accent better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Priest_Revan at 10:10PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
cartoonprofessor
Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite (so I have beeen told)

Haha, no.

Americans love to flaunt the fact that they live in “the greatest country in the world”… and they love to do it in the country itself too. It's kinda annoying. That's why they yell… to flaunt this fact.

Now you children know why I'm a American born terrorist.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
skoolmunkee at 1:09AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
This thread makes my head hurt. I can't tell how much of it I'm supposed to take seriously, or what.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
Webreever at 2:42AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
I wasn't aware Americans had accents…Well, I guess their are two kinds: American, which is like a dumbed down british accent, without the goofy teeth and insane amounts of spitting (unless booze or drugs are involved), and Southern Accent. There really isn't much of a difference, except most southern accents are just American Accents, dumbed down further than Paris Hiltons IQ.
http://www.perfect-grey.com

I suck at Code, so CTL+C and CTRL+V this into your browser.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Short_Circuiting at 11:19AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
what about wisconsin dialect? or the bronx accent? there's plenty of differentiations in us citizens' speech. i heard somewhere that if you travel fifty miles in any direction in the united states, there is a notable change in accent. not only that, but also speech patterns, and vocabulary. and in some cases, general intelligence.
crazyninny at 11:45AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(online)
Short_Circuiting
what about wisconsin dialect? or the bronx accent? there's plenty of differentiations in us citizens' speech. i heard somewhere that if you travel fifty miles in any direction in the united states, there is a notable change in accent. not only that, but also speech patterns, and vocabulary. and in some cases, general intelligence.

Isn't it in the Southern states they talk slower than Northen states? I think on of my teachers tolled me that was true, but I'm not so sure about it. I would check, but I'm to lazy to go all the way down south just to see if its true or not.

But the whole accent and dialect thing has to be true. With immgrants coming in from other countries all the time, accents and dialect has to mix in. Kinda like Bugs Bunny New York/Bostonish accent. *Greatest. Accent. EVER.*
Short_Circuiting at 2:07PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
yes, they do talk slower in the south. i live in north carolina, which is considered part of the south. some people talk painfully slow here compared to the new york jibber jabber i'm used to.
Custard Trout at 2:19PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
Webreever
I wasn't aware Americans had accents…Well, I guess their are two kinds: American, which is like a dumbed down british accent, without the goofy teeth and insane amounts of spitting (unless booze or drugs are involved), and Southern Accent. There really isn't much of a difference, except most southern accents are just American Accents, dumbed down further than Paris Hiltons IQ.

I wish you were the mot ignorant person I've ever had the displeasure of being in communication with.

That makes me sad.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Ozoneocean at 4:28PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(online)
How can someone be from the US and not know anything about different US accents? Fair enough it's natural not to think you have one yourself (everyone all over the world is like that), but you should at least be aware of the regional differences. …The Southern ones are obvious, but there are different versions of those depending on the states, different Mid Western ones, New Englander types accent, the “bronX” one previously mentioned, the Boston type accent, Chicago… whatever. Then there's the ethic variations, oh dear lol!

Perhaps the fault is here in this thread for making “Americans” sound like some homogeneous whole. I'm pretty sure they're not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Orange at 4:55PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
How can someone be from the US and not know anything about different US accents?

Because I don't go anywhere.
sucks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
marine at 5:14PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
Surely you can tell the difference between someone from boston, someone from the bronx, someone from new orlens, and someone from arkansaw. If they all met up to discuss the latest movies, it would be a parade of accents and dialects colliding with each other.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
usedbooks at 7:02PM, Dec. 5, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Perhaps the fault is here in this thread for making “Americans” sound like some homogeneous whole. I'm pretty sure they're not.
Pretty sure that's the whole problem here. People often consider their own group as diverse and “other” groups as homogeneous. (It's called "outgroup homogeneity bias." )
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Steely Gaze at 3:38AM, Dec. 6, 2007
(offline)
Wow, that's pretty interesting Usedbooks. I had never looked at it that way before.

It's true though. Every country is in some way diverse, even if it's not the same standards of diverse you may be used to.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
Red Slayer at 10:40AM, Dec. 6, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Every country is the greatest on the world… At least to the people in that country.
Not for me, i hate this place and i want out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
artisthazzard at 11:11AM, Dec. 6, 2007
(offline)
Stop the Hate!! >_< <(and B.S.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Faust at 1:08PM, Dec. 6, 2007
(online)
Americans are generally good, honest people. It's really hard to tag a stereotype to the American people, just because we're so diverse. The only thing you can say about an American that'll apply to more than 10% of the population at best is that we are American.

I think we have a reputation for rudeness in Europe because, well, most of us haven't been there. It costs a lot for an American to go anywhere in Europe, and generally, when you guys see an American it's almost alway somebody that has quite a bit of money to toss around. Usually, when you see an American with a lot of money, either in Europe or the US, they're fat and rude. That's true of most rich people anywhere.

We actually had an incident with some English guys at a mall I was working at. They were screaming up and down the mall, cursing at store managers and the maintenance guy because they were asked to put on a coat or a sweater to cover up a profane word one of them had on their shirt. Now, I'm okay with profanity. But the mall is supposed to be set up as a family location, and there are a number of signs at the entrances that do say not to, among other things, wear clothing with profanity on it, or use profanity loudly. Not only were they cursing at the top of their lungs, but they were also disrespecting the country as a whole, calling the US a “shithole”, among other things.

So, yeah. Everybody can be pretty rude, just depends on you getting the assholes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
worstcase at 3:11PM, Dec. 6, 2007
(online)
crazyninny
Short_Circuiting

Isn't it in the Southern states they talk slower than Northen states? I think on of my teachers tolled me that was true, but I'm not so sure about it. I would check, but I'm to lazy to go all the way down south just to see if its true or not.

But the whole accent and dialect thing has to be true. With immgrants coming in from other countries all the time, accents and dialect has to mix in. Kinda like Bugs Bunny New York/Bostonish accent. *Greatest. Accent. EVER.*

I live in mississippi, and i visited new york one summer and was shocked by how many weird looks we got. It turns out that the mississippi accent is generally the slowest, most long drawn out words and overexaggerated sentences in the whole country. I found that i could not understand the New Yorkers because they talked so fast compared to what I'm used too.

Oh, and this is a blatant generalzation, but the southern states are generally poorer but more hospitable, but how would i know?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
shaneronzio at 4:30PM, Dec. 6, 2007
(online)
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
kyupol at 2:01PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(online)
wait a minute.

If lets say this was a thread discussing Korea or any other country then thrown in all the negative stuff about them, its now a racist thread?

Just wondering.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon