Random Discussion

An eternal debate: Dogs vs Cats...
Lonnehart at 10:27PM, July 15, 2009
(online)
This is something that has been going on for a long time. Dogs and Cats make great pets, but some people love one or the other TOO much… Both have their merits, but both have other things we don't like.

Personally, I like cats more. They keep the brown tree snake out of my house (by hunting and eating them), are great companions for those times when I'm not feeling great, and can be affectionate. However, they only come to you for food (most of the time), can scratch up curtains and furniture, and wouldn't mind knocking over your shelves if they're chasing after mice.

Dogs are great too. Very loyal and obedient and will eat a lot of what you feed them (but I stick to dog food and pure raw meat whenever possible as that's healthy for them). You can keep them outside and they keep your house safe from the human version of the brown tree snake (burglars). However, they don't clean up after themselves and unless trained they leave messes all around the place. Not to mention they will sometimes raid your garbage if they felt like it (and would leave it all over the place).

Why do you like dogs/cats? Which is better in your opinion? :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
ifelldownthestairs at 3:44AM, July 16, 2009
(online)
Dogs!

They're not as moody as cats, they're always affectionate, you can play with them, you can housetrain them, you can clean up after their messes, you can find treasured items ripped to shreds…

Cats!

They're funny when they purr, they're fun to pet, they're…

…oh fuck, I don't know.
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Aurora Moon at 3:51AM, July 16, 2009
(offline)
Cats in my area has been known to be much of a more public pest than dogs are.

They're actually the ones who get into the garbage more than dogs, and they seem to multiply like rabbits mainly because cat owners got careless, and did not neuter their pets before letting them out where other the wild cats could mate with them.

They also leave droppings and cat hair ALL OVER. Oh yes, they have their litter boxes if they're a house cat… but if you let them outside, then they'll poop anywhere…. even in your neighbor's backyard. That in turn, can get your neighbors pissed off at you and your cat.

So for me, I just see cats as being the more messy, pesky animal… with the only redeeming quality that they have being small and cuddly.

Whereas all of my dogs have always been clean, sheds very little (they were all short-haired), and they don't poop all over… they always tend to like peeing/pooping in specific spots of the backyards, usually around fences, etc. which I think is just them acting on their instinct to mark their land.

They're also usually very well behaved.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
lothar at 4:08AM, July 16, 2009
(online)
dogs look at a human as their god
cats are more of an opportunist friend

i prefer cats, as it is a more equal relationship , my ego doesn't need licking
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
theprettiestpony at 7:55AM, July 16, 2009
(offline)
lovecraft also shared the notion that cat people are somehow morally superior. i disagree. perhaps i am an “unimaginative peasant-burgher,” but dogs are still more fun.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Cats_and_Dogs
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Orin J Master at 8:32AM, July 16, 2009
(online)
trick question, the answer is peacocks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Hawk at 9:34AM, July 16, 2009
(online)
I've had a good dog before and I've had a good cat before. I can enjoy either animal. However, the best dog I ever had was leagues better than my best cat. You just cannot top that sense of loyalty and obedience they give you. I still miss that dog.

Conversely, the worst dog I've ever had was far worse than ANY cat I've ever known. So it's like dogs are a bit more of a gamble and cats are the safer animal.

When I move out of my apartment and into a house, I might consider getting myself a pet again. I'm not sure what I'll get.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
isukun at 10:56AM, July 16, 2009
(online)
I've had both in the past. I have two cats now. I prefer cats because you don't typically get a cat who just blindly loves you simply because you're the alpha creature in the home. Also, I can get by with only cleaning out the litter box once every two or three days, while in the city, you have to clean up after a dog every time it goes.

Cats tend to turn out predictably depending on the type of master they have. Both of mine are well behaved, don't scratch anything that isn't covered in carpet or rope, keep pretty clean, stay out of the trash, and are very friendly and affectionate with me and other people who visit or live in my apartment. They both love to play and lately have taken a liking to the laser pointer again.

Dogs have always been more of a handful to me. You have to walk them, you have to clean up after them, you have to train them, and you have to bathe them. It's a lot more physical work just to keep your home not smelling like dog. They also range from being really stupid, to being too smart for their own good. Both extremes make for pretty lousy pets, but with the insistance on pure-breeds these days, you often find dogs on the lower end of the intelligence scale. Older dogs can be much more of a challenge to take care of, too. Many of your medium or large size dogs develop hip issues in their old age which can make it painful for them to walk or make it so they can't feel when they need to use the bathroom. It becomes a chore to take care of them. My experience with older cats has been much more positive. Yeah, they slow down and get weaker, they have difficulty jumping up to high places, but at the same time, they still use the litterbox normally and they actually have a greater desire for human contact.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Freegurt at 12:10PM, July 16, 2009
(online)
Hmmmm, well I kind of like them both now (I used to be terrified of cats).

But I think I'm going to lean more to the dogs side because I've had more bad experiences with cats than I have dogs (clawed in the face for looking at the cat, anyone?).

I like to compare cats to a temperamental teenage girl. You are the scum of the earth in their eyes and you never know if what you do will either make you feel agonizing pain or not afterward.

If you want a pet that will love you until the ends of the earth and play with you no matter what, get a dog. If you want an animal that can take care of itself but still give you cuddle time, get a cat.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
HippieVan at 12:38PM, July 16, 2009
(online)
I really love both my dog and my cat. No favourites here.

But if I were living on my own, having to take on all the responsibilies of the pet, I'd probably go with a cat. My lazy lifestyle suits a cat more.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Dark Pascual at 2:58PM, July 16, 2009
(online)
Dogs. I've had mostly dogs since I was a kid and I get along better with them. I specially like big dogs (Labradors and Ol' English).

Cats are cute, but dogs are more fun…Except for Chihuahuas, those are some hellish breed between rats and hellcats…

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
isukun at 6:25PM, July 16, 2009
(online)
I like to compare cats to a temperamental teenage girl. You are the scum of the earth in their eyes and you never know if what you do will either make you feel agonizing pain or not afterward.

That reminds me a lot of my parents' dog. He's an Aussie Shepherd and acts just like a spoiled teenager. If he does something bad and you yell at him or punish him, he talks back. He sulks and groans and will even bark at you. He's a year old now and still chews on furniture and parts of the house. He jumps on people and bites ankles and no amount of effort from my father who has had never had these problems with previous dogs, seems to convince him to change his ways. I think they are getting ready to take him in for obedience training.

I think his first dog was kind of like that too until he got hit by a car. After my father nursed him back to health, the dog was the best one our family ever had. He was a great frisby dog that seemed to have an uncanny ability to understand gestures and inflection. We don't want to have to run over the current dog just to get him to behave, though.
Skullbie at 9:30PM, July 16, 2009
(online)
SKULBEE WUV CATS!!!

All my cats are super loving but don't get in your way when you don't want them, they're very clean too(some cats seem to have gross dandruff and shedding)Dogs have variety but most seem to smell and be a huge hassle when you're not giving them attention.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Aurora Moon at 9:34PM, July 16, 2009
(offline)
I think it would have to depend on the breeds of the cats and dogs….

I've known of dogs who were very suited to apartment life, didn't need to be walked too much,etc… but this was mainly because of their breeds.

Depending on the breed, the dogs can very clean, not too smelly, etc.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/apartment.htm this is an list of dogs that's good for apartment living.

likewise with cats… some cats can be pretty much downright vicious. a large amount of the cats in my areas are the maine coon and one other cat breed that I can't remember the name of. They can get pretty messy, smelly, and they're the ones who will get into the trash cans outside.

They can get pretty vicious towards people who they aren't familiar with. which means that you can't bring new people over unless they're secured elsewhere.

but then on the other hand, I've known Siamese and Burmese cats who were total sweethearts.

I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:16AM, July 28, 2009
(online)
Dogs, easily. Cats are terrifying (Pet Semetary, anyone?). There's something evil about them, and they tend to hate me. Dogs, on the other hand, don't need to be coaxed to come over to you. People who like cats are like people who prefer John Lennon over Paul McCartney: they sneer at happiness (or, silly love songs).

I have two dogs, and they are so cute!! They dance and they sit on the windowsill, and they are constantly on the lookout for SQUIRRELY!! And they love to cuddle.

The answer is obvious.

(Bella and Rascal win by a landslide!!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:23PM
ozoneocean at 10:43AM, July 28, 2009
(online)
This isn't really a debate topic. T_T

—————-
As regards the points about cats being smelly-> (Aurora's earlier point)
Elderly cats don't groom as much. Cats are less smelly than dogs in general because they are solitary predators. Their evolutionary niche means they must disguise their excrement and be neat about it. It also means they must reduce their own smell to the lowest amount possible.
Cats who are smelly would be dead quickly in the wild. Old cats don't last long in the wild, but in a domestic situation cats live an extremely long time so of course there are going to be more smelly house cats. Older cats also forget to be so neat about their excrement.
Just remember though that those are old codgers that've earned the right to be stinky. ;)

-Cats in their prime are not smelly or messy with their excrement, dogs are. Not because of having a better or worse character, rather it's simply the way they were evolved to be so that they could survive as they do.

Understanding the differences between cats and dogs:

Cats
House cats are a solitary predator. They are NOT a top level predator, they are a mid to top level predator- which means they're still naturally fearful of threats and will take care to hide themselves from detection. Hence the finicky grooming.
Cats in general are not social creatures, they were not evolved to be that way. When they are however, they follow a natural “family” sort of grouping, with casual “family” loyalties and relationships to one another. It's an extension of the mother kitten relationship into older ages.

When they join humans or become "friends' with a dog or other animal, it follows that pattern. A cat may see you in a pseudo mother or sibling sort of way. And as you'd know from your own experience, such relationships are complex, not always involving respect.

Dogs
These ARE an apex predator. They have no need to disguise smells or hide excrement, in fact the dispersal of such things play an extremely important role in their day to day lives. Dog communicate heavily through smells. They must mark territories, update each other on the status of their range, show submission or dominance through smells.
Being an apex predator means that dogs are not naturally very fearful of strangeers, at least when they have their friends around them or they're within the confines of their “range” (house, whatever).

Dogs are highly social creatures. This isn't some personality quirk, this is the rock solid basis of the species, it is their raison d'etre. They are supposed to exist within a pack. As s a solitary creature in the wild with no pack, they we not last too long. Their relationship with humans is 100% to do with this aspect. When a dog joins your household, it joins your pack. All people and creatures within this pack have status; some bellow the dog, some above and some on the same level. The dog's attitude toward you will depend on what it percieves your rank to be.

——————–
Relationships based on rank are fairly straight forward, so dogs are popular with straight forward people.
Family type relationships are much more complicated and nuanced, so liking a cats isn't straight froward.

And in the end humans are not dogs or cats and neither are cats or dogs human, so there's a limit to how far we can relate to each other. With dogs, I have no interest in the smell of week old dog crap, urine scented bushes, or the rotting body of a dead rodent, even though their whole world revolves around such things. With cats, lying in the sun for several hours is nice but begins to wear thin after a while, and I'm not interested in hunting rats or chasing string. Eating food, for me, isn't the best most exciting, happiest, most magical experience of my day- but to both dogs and cats, it's better than sex.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Polkster at 2:42PM, July 28, 2009
(online)
Just duct tape one to the other.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
isukun at 7:01PM, July 28, 2009
(online)
Cats in general are not social creatures, they were not evolved to be that way

Cats can be territorial, but not all cats are solitary creatures. Housecats tend to be an exception. Feral cats form colonies and often littermates will contiue to get along well throughout their lives, even in the wild. This is one of the reasons why we domesticate housecats and not other small cats.

Colony structures tend to be more like large scale lion's prides with one dominant cat and then the rest of the colony who are pretty much equal. In the wild, the dominant cat is usually a male and often has to fight for that position. In a domestic situation, the dominant cat is usually the one who has lived in the house the longest (not necessarily the oldest). The heirarchy rules are different for domesticated cats than for feral cats. I've seen runts rule over cats far stronger than them, and I've seen female cats rule over males (like my current two) when domesticated. Still, in both cases, you usually have a heirarchy that consists of the dominant cat and everybody else. When intriducing cats to a household, if you already have two or more cats, usually the dominant cat will not get along with any newcomers, while the other cats acclimate pretty easily.

I would also have to argue that cats do not accept humans and other animals as part of their family. They will accept humans and other animals as having equal status in their environment. They don't typically treat other animals the same way they treat other cats, though. Cats don't look for grooming from a dog and they don't typically try to tackle a human being when they want to play. Cats scent mark people and other animals, but not each other.

Personal grooming is more a product of how these animals hunt and not how threatened they are. There is not an abundance of predators who hunt cats, at least not any more than with dogs. The difference is that dogs use distraction, panic, and numbers to catch their prey while cats rely on surprise. This is also why cats tend to have a higher success rate when it comes to catching prey and dogs have evolved into omnivors who also rely on scavaging (you'll more often find stray cats lurking in the woods and stray dogs walking down the side of the highway looking for carrion).

Also, both cats and dogs mark their territory to define their range and dominance. This is something that primarily only males of both species are capable of, but you don't see it as often in cats because both species mark in different ways and once a cat is neutered, it usually can't spray, anymore. People are more likely to spay and neuter their cats because of the behavior issues that arise in cats that aren't fixed (i.e. spraying and going into heat).

Eating food, for me, isn't the best most exciting, happiest, most magical experience of my day- but to both dogs and cats, it's better than sex.

For some people, eating may be better than sex. While sex may be better for a species, eating is better for the individual. Also, you tend to appreciate food more when it's rationed against your will. I would also like to point out that not all dogs and cats go at their food as if it's the last meal they're ever going to get. My parents' dog eats his food a little at a time and usually doesn't hover around the bowl when getting fed. My cats both only eat when they're hungry. I can fill the bowl once every couple of days and neither of them are particlarly fat.
ozoneocean at 10:05PM, July 28, 2009
(online)
I've addressed the social phenomena in the creatures. It is an extended family structure- according to all the nature studies I've seen on the subject of house cat colonies.

The house cat does indeed regard you as part of its “family”, not as another cat though. Just as we humans regard other creatures as part of our families, but not always as other humans.
Most animals are more aware of how different we are from them and how alike they are to each other than we are aware of that fact- because they don't have that anthropomorphic cultural overlay to their awareness. Their relationships are purely about the “real” social dynamics in their environment, within the limitations of their… Body? Morphic shape? What they actually are?

-Sorry, I can't find a term to describe that a cat is a cat because it's in a cat body and because of that can't be anything else.

Of course there is a hierarchy after a fashion within any cat colony, but it's simply not as rigid or genetically codified as that of a dock pack. It really is a fluid “family” structure, more like that of a modern “typical” human family in its informal nature.

As for cats being careful because of their prey rather than fearing predation-
This is only partly true. The house cat is small. In the wild they're typically predated upon by larger dog species as well as larger cat species. Their ranges are only meant to be recognised by others of their species to avoid overlapping of hunting ranges, they aren't as open in patrolling them or defending them as dogs are. This is because the ranges mean different things to these two types of animals- Typically for dogs it is a communal range for the entire pack, the rituals of the range are a part of their other social activities. For cats the range is for self, to protect their food supply.
isukun
For some people, eating may be better than sex.
Such a preference for the former will tend to make the likelihood of the latter increasingly less and less. :)

Unless a Control and be found for that Craving…?

isukun at 12:00AM, July 29, 2009
(online)
And according to everything I've read on the social structures of domesticated cats and everything I've observed as a cat owner, I would still have to disagree wih you. They don't interpret you as even part of their social heirarchy. You are simply an integral part of their environment. They may grow to like you, but it isn't because they see you as a brother, sister, or mother figure. Cat social structures are incredibly simple compared to dogs. Status is incredibly important to dogs and they tend to have very well defined ranks within their packs. With cats, either you're top cat, you're everybody else, or you're a kitten. Humans and other animals usually don't fit into this heirarchy.
ozoneocean at 12:30AM, July 29, 2009
(online)
I disagree based on what I have read, learned and observed. The family structure and the way it can incorporate humans and other animals is well observed and recorded. :)

The difference with dogs is that, unlike the canine pack incorporation of humans, it isn't always as likely to occur with cats. This is where the nuanced complexity comes in ;)

You are quite wrong in your assumption that such relationships are simple. Family relationships are never simple. The fact of a dominant member is the only simple part of it, relationships between the group as a whole and between individuals are extremely nuanced- mainly because they are NOT typically codified as they are with a dog pack. That is simplicity- because it can so easily be recognised and understood. (just to make the difference clear)
Where you are in error is the assumption that because you can't see, or understand the dynamics of the other relationships, that there isn't one. That of course can never be the case.

You're also incorrect in your assumption of “male” dominance. Dominance is typically through a female, even in lion prides. The male lion superficially appears to be the dominant head- he is merely the dominant male and dominant sexual partner.

CaptainKickas at 7:59PM, July 29, 2009
(offline)
I have a cat. It hates hug. I love hugs. The cat hates me and my hugs.
sooooo dogs cause they're more affectionate and like affection more.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Sea_Cow at 12:20PM, July 31, 2009
(offline)
I like cats because it's like that super funny website, icanhascheezburger.com! Silly cats, that's not how you spell cheeseburger!
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
ozoneocean at 10:09PM, July 31, 2009
(online)
CaptainKickas
I have a cat. It hates hug. I love hugs. The cat hates me and my hugs.
sooooo dogs cause they're more affectionate and like affection more.
This isn't true. Both cats and dogs are affectionate and will freely display and enjoy affection.

The difference is that dogs as a pack animal are evolved to show “affection” and bonding behaviours in extremely demonstrative and obvious physical ways. That helps them function in the pack hierarchy.
Cats are not pack animals. As adults cats would not naturally show affection to any other creature unless they were mothering kittens.
Domestic cats however are different, and this is the same with wild cats who live in colonies- What happens is that the child/adult Kitten/mother bond is extended. The adult cat stays in a semi kitten mindset of dependence. IF you as your cat's owner socialise correctly with your cat as it's growing up, your cat will be extremely affectionate towards you, showing you the same behaviour as a kitten would to its brother, sister or mother.
This is also what happens to colony cats or pride cats in the wild.

Adult cats who never had that socialisation or who have lost it can still become that way if as a cat owner you know how to bring that behaviour out… That's a very difficult thing though and impossible to teach. It just depends on getting them back into that Kitten/mother role, which all cats will always retain in their brain somewhere.

Part of that is just as simple as making feeding time a special time accompanied by displays of affection on your part that you know the cat will respond to- so that means NOT hugging (unless your cat likes that). It means what your cat enjoys: stroking, scratching under the cheeks etc.

I've raised my cats throughout my life, from kitten to old age and eventually death, so I've some experience with this at all stages of life. Even adopting or looking after older ones. I've had dogs as well, so I've aware of that side.
Indeed I've worked with horses, brought up rabbits, mice, rats, Guinea Pigs, goldfish, and various wild birds.
And I've several books on the subject.

Hands on experience is what counts though and understanding what animals respond to- Positively AND negatively. Then you look at the theory of WHY they respond in those whys so you can understand what you're doing, what they're doing and why they do it.

If you treat an animal like an enigma, or as some unthinking, pre programmed independent bio-machine, don't be surprised if you have trouble not understanding why that bio-robot does what it does.

skoolmunkee at 3:22AM, Aug. 1, 2009
(online)
I'm a cat person, I just don't like dealing with dogs very much on an extended basis. I do have a dog who I love more than anything, but she's much more like a cat than a dog. Never needs a bath, clean and fastidious, never barks, is calm and gentle, sleeps all day, doesn't need long walks or much cleanup. Sheds less than a cat, too. :] She's even caught a couple mice for me!

See I like cats because I'm a solitary predator too. Rambunctious smelly social bonding stuff is vile. T_T

I think that dogs have a much bigger risk of being ‘bad dogs’ than cats have a risk of being ‘bad cats’ - since cats stick to themselves, and recognise so many larger things as threats, if there is a cat with behavioral issues it's not as big a problem as a dog with the same problem. Most people don't fear cats in the same way they would fear a dog. Poorly trained and poorly socialized dogs are an enormous problem (and has very little to do with what breed the dog may be). Even if the dog is friendly and would never attack a person or other dog, they could still very easily destroy your house. Even if it isn't malign, I've known too many people who let their dogs jump on people, charge out the door, get aggressive over food, terrorize other animals in the house, pull heavily on the leash, etc. Owning a cat takes almost no work, a cat takes care of themselves and just needs feeding, brushing and litter cleaning. Owning a dog is WORK and a lot of the people who own dogs, in my experience, shouldn't.

Edit: I don't find that list of ‘good apartment dogs’ to be too great, Aurora. There are a number of stupid non-breeds on there like chi-poo (will guarantee your dog is poorly bred and will probably have health/behavioral issues, are exclusively bred by backyard breeders and puppy mills, and should not be encouraged), some of them are even listed with TM/copyright symbols, what the hell? That almost instantly throws out any credibility the site has, in my eyes, because designer dogs are so new and unpredictable you can't make blanket statements about their behaviors. The list also doesn't seem to have taken much into account in regards to temperament, sure those dogs are small- but many of them are extremely high energy like corgis, and others like Bostons are very prone to things like separation anxiety. A lot of them are also big barkers (like the terriers) and/or territorial, and ‘quiet’ is a huge factor in choosing an apartment dog. Sighthounds like poodles, afghans, greyhounds etc make great apartment dogs because they're low energy, clean and quiet- but they're not on the list because they're bigger.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
ozoneocean at 12:14PM, Aug. 1, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
I think that dogs have a much bigger risk of being ‘bad dogs’ than cats have a risk of being ‘bad cats’
That whole line of reasoning is something I hadn't considered. Part of it is the other side of the natural pack hierarchy aspect of a dog's nature- people naturally assume that the dog will always choose the subservient friendly role, the the natural instinct for all animals everywhere is dominance, at least at some point. So an otherwise fantastic dog might want to assert itself at some point… Which is why a friendly faithful pet will sometimes kill the family's young child.
-It's not always that the dog has been abused, teased, has anything wrong with it, or is even a “bad” animal; it's just asserting dominance and making sure that child doesn't steal its place in the family pack hierarchy.

And that sort of thing would be quite ordinary and acceptable in a dog pack, but to humans it's horrific.
skoolmunkee
I've known too many people who let their dogs jump on people, charge out the door
My grandparents did that with a big golden retriever they had. He would always charge out, leap up and drape his paws over my shoulders, usually knocking me over. At one point he bit me quite badly on the face. He wasn't affectionate to me, he was rough. At best it was about play fighting… -This was when I was a tiny little boy.
He didn't do it to anyone else, and my grandparents didn't think anything of it, but I was terrified.

But I learned how to deal with him though; don't ever show fear, take control of the situation, be the “bigger dog”. That was good training for me, I've never had a problem with any dog ever since. But to illustrates what you're talking about with lax owners; my grand parents should never have allowed the dog to behave that way. Especially hafet seeing it do that more than once.

I've seen a lot of golden retrievers and even black retrievers behave like that, and yet people say they're good family dogs. I've never personally seen a German Shepard behave as bad as I've seen retrievers behaving.

Hawk at 7:19PM, Aug. 1, 2009
(online)
Any dog is only as good as it has been trained to be, really. When I was four my dad got a visla, and she was supposed to be a well-behaved dog that he could take hunting. Unfortunately she was never properly trained and became the most useless, disobedient, destructive, and irritating animal we ever owned. We really lucked out when the next time we got a dog it had already been properly trained.

I guess that's the big advantage with cats. They accept very little training, but they also require very little.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
ozoneocean at 10:42PM, Aug. 1, 2009
(online)
Hawk
I guess that's the big advantage with cats. They accept very little training, but they also require very little.
Yes, that's true about dogs, the training aspect is a lot about trying to fit that natural pack behaviour into a human family model. In a lot of ways the natural tendencies of dogs lend themselves to the human model, but not in every way. We often forget that I think.

gullas at 10:25AM, Aug. 2, 2009
(online)
As a person who is mortally affraid of big and scary dogs…. I'll always choose a cat over a dog. At least these few cats that I meet when delivering mail don't try to attack me, if I even look at the house -.-*…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
Aurora Moon at 12:26AM, Aug. 4, 2009
(offline)
skoolmunkee
I'm a cat person, I just don't like dealing with dogs very much on an extended basis. I do have a dog who I love more than anything, but she's much more like a cat than a dog. Never needs a bath, clean and fastidious, never barks, is calm and gentle, sleeps all day, doesn't need long walks or much cleanup. Sheds less than a cat, too. :] She's even caught a couple mice for me!

See I like cats because I'm a solitary predator too. Rambunctious smelly social bonding stuff is vile. T_T

I think that dogs have a much bigger risk of being ‘bad dogs’ than cats have a risk of being ‘bad cats’ - since cats stick to themselves, and recognise so many larger things as threats, if there is a cat with behavioral issues it's not as big a problem as a dog with the same problem. Most people don't fear cats in the same way they would fear a dog. Poorly trained and poorly socialized dogs are an enormous problem (and has very little to do with what breed the dog may be). Even if the dog is friendly and would never attack a person or other dog, they could still very easily destroy your house. Even if it isn't malign, I've known too many people who let their dogs jump on people, charge out the door, get aggressive over food, terrorize other animals in the house, pull heavily on the leash, etc. Owning a cat takes almost no work, a cat takes care of themselves and just needs feeding, brushing and litter cleaning. Owning a dog is WORK and a lot of the people who own dogs, in my experience, shouldn't.

Edit: I don't find that list of ‘good apartment dogs’ to be too great, Aurora. There are a number of stupid non-breeds on there like chi-poo (will guarantee your dog is poorly bred and will probably have health/behavioral issues, are exclusively bred by backyard breeders and puppy mills, and should not be encouraged), some of them are even listed with TM/copyright symbols, what the hell? That almost instantly throws out any credibility the site has, in my eyes, because designer dogs are so new and unpredictable you can't make blanket statements about their behaviors. The list also doesn't seem to have taken much into account in regards to temperament, sure those dogs are small- but many of them are extremely high energy like corgis, and others like Bostons are very prone to things like separation anxiety. A lot of them are also big barkers (like the terriers) and/or territorial, and ‘quiet’ is a huge factor in choosing an apartment dog. Sighthounds like poodles, afghans, greyhounds etc make great apartment dogs because they're low energy, clean and quiet- but they're not on the list because they're bigger.

Actually small dogs suffer the same problems as big dogs too but on a much worse scale. it's called “small dog syrdrome”. if managed properly, they CAN be great apartment dogs.

you see, owners who get small dogs tend to make the mistake that snice the dogs are small, that they can get away with things that they wouldn't let a big dog do. However since small dogs do feel the need to eblismeish who's the domiant one in any “pack”, the humans to them tends to send some very confusing singals.
humans who tends to own small dogs, seems to love coodling the dogs as much as possible, pratically bowing to the dogs' every will like if the tiny dog wanted to sleep on the same bed as they are, etc.
Dogs tend to have this order in how they do things…. the pack leader tends to pick the highest and the best sleeping spot. so if a human lets them have the run of the bed and the house the human is basically telling the dog that it's the pack leader.
so that's why small dogs tend to get seperation anixenty– it's because only the pack leader is usually allowed to go out on thier own… the others who aren't the leader isn't allowed to do that at all. So naturally the tiny dog would get uspet every time you went out and left it alone…. it's basically thinking: “Wtf are you doing?!! you basically submitted to me and made me the pack leader. How the heck am I supposed to run with you as an pack and protect you if you keep on running off?” it's the same exact reason why they're so vocial…. and far more vicious than any big dog towards strangers who they might pervice as an threat to the “pack” or the home. they're only trying to do the duties that a pack leader might do.

so you see it's not actually the fault of the breed, it's the owners. the same can be said for any big dogs.

The same dogs you listed as being too engertic for apartment living…. I've actually seen PROPERLY trained tiny dogs like that who were “ like a cat”, just like your dog was.

a properly trained dog can be likened to a cat in term of cleanliness, demonor, etc.

I do agree that owners who don't know what they're doing shouldn't ever own pets at all. that can be applied to cat owners too!

you say that cats require almost no training at all… but I do to point out that based on the treatment of any irresponible cat owners or some bad background… an cat can definely get out of control!
I metioned vicious cats before in this thread…. needless to say those vicious cats were the result of irresponable care. The owners had competely no idea how to take of a cat properly…ended up doing things to piss off the cats, etc… and as an result the cats began to assocate all humans with things they did not like at all. so every time an human even looked thier way, the cat would proably think something like: “ hiss, that human proably wants to rub my fur the wrong way or some other awful things like the human of this house does!!” and with that they go into an hissing, blind fury fit.

combine that with the fact that some owners don't netuer thier cats at all, not wanting to have the cats' personalities altered or some other stupid reason. should those cats with bad attudite problems get out and mate with other cats if there's no other cats in the house… boom, kittens.
the cats then raise the kittens… and usually the kittens will take on the parents' viewpoints of humans in gerenal. so if they were reared by thier parents to aviod humans at all costs.. then the cycle goes on, with the cats mupltiying over the year…

that actually led to the semi-feral housecat problem here in ND…. a lot of the violent cats' offsprings couldn't find any good homes at all due to the fact that they reacted to humans so poorly… so they were only partially sheltered by some humans but allowed to run wild outside. they then basically turned into massive groups that would roam not only the countryside, but in the cities/towns too…. and of course, they would attack any humans that got too close to them.

the same thing can happen with dogs too….but for some reason the humans tend to be more careful with dogs… they think the cats don't really propse a serious threat.

but I've seen some quickly change thier mind regarding that when they've been attacked by a pride of semi-feral housecats who were raised to hate humans. Just because they're small doesn't mean they're not dangerous, people. there's less chances of one actually killing you than with a dog, of course… but that doesnt mean that you won't get bites that require sitches, etc.

they actually had this progam where the cats had to be shot to control overpopulation and the constant attacks on the neighborhood kids that didn't know better than to get to close to a group of feral housecats.

sorry, I wound up ranting about this again. -_-;; It just pisses me off how humans tend to be so careful not to chance the odds of any wild dog packs even existing, and trying thier damnedest hardest to put down a dog the moment it even gets into ANY fight… even though it wasnt a vicious dog at all to start with.

yet, those sort of wild and semi-wild cats are allowed to roam around unchecked and pose a possible risk to humans… because hey, they're small, fluffy and therefore harmless… yeah, right.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved