Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

anatomy questian: butt size
JillyFoo at 10:19PM, Aug. 31, 2007
(online)
I notice that shojo and some women drawn comics tend to have men with small butts ,but it really looks off.

Do (adverage) males really have small butts compared to (adverage) females?
Or do they have the same size butt, but the man's chest is wider compared to a woman?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
usedbooks at 10:50PM, Aug. 31, 2007
(online)
Not “really small” but men in general do have smaller rears than women. Women usually have higher fat content in their bodies than men, making them just “curvier” in general. Also, the “heavier” the people, the more obvious this difference is because most men accumulate their mass on their stomach (or if it's muscle, on their chest) while women tend to gain weight in their thighs and buttocks.

I guess in some people's eyes, idealizing a male form means a very small butt and large chest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
spacehamster at 3:46AM, Sept. 1, 2007
(online)
JillyFoo
I notice that shojo and some women drawn comics tend to have men with small butts ,but it really looks off.

What usedbooks said is true, and also, women on average have a wider pelvis than men, which makes their hips look bigger. The smaller butt is thus a typically masculine feature that cartoonists tend to exaggerate if they want to make a male character look attractive. I don't know that this is limited to female artists, but there's no denying people draw their gender of choice differently. It's something I personally try to avoid because I don't want all my female characters to look like someone I would think is attractive, but drawing women is definitely different from drawing men for me, and I'm sure it's the same for women drawing men.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
mlai at 6:23AM, Sept. 1, 2007
(online)
I predict this thread will have a long fruitful life just like my “What sound does a chaingun make?” thread.

Of course my blessing might just kill it.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
spacehamster at 6:36AM, Sept. 1, 2007
(online)
mlai
I predict this thread will have a long fruitful life just like my “What sound does a chaingun make?” thread.

Butts. Sound effects. Connect the dots.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
JillyFoo at 9:41PM, Sept. 1, 2007
(online)
Well thank you. lol It wasn't quite the answers I was looking for but I don't know if this will be going anywhere good.

I was thinkin the idea that Naruto is drawn slightly more realistic and the butts on guys in Naruto are large.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
mlai at 7:54AM, Sept. 2, 2007
(online)
Big butts…

Now I can't get that rap song out of my head.

Vixus at 12:05PM, Sept. 4, 2007
(offline)
It's up to the artist really and how their style works. If they're going for realism, all the characters should have varying body types which means there are guys with big butts, girls with small butts etc. Many “manga” artists give all their male and female characters the same body type (ie. everyone looks athletic, or humorously fat, no inbetweens) which is one reason why I dislike the majority of the genre.
Tending my fruit, tending my fruit
Ah, you've got to have a hobby
A man must have a shed to keep him sane.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 12:08PM, Sept. 4, 2007
(online)
in one of my “how to draw manga” books, it said, “women's bodies are more like figure-8's, whereas men's are like an upside-down triangle.”
so I guess that's a rule of thumb that is exaggerated in manga to visually polarize the genders?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Modesty at 12:13PM, Sept. 4, 2007
(online)
It's not size per se, but WIDTH.
As spacehampster mentioned women have a different pelvic structure. This is important to remember as it affects how MUSCLES fit on the skeleton.
Women's behinds tend to be ROUNDER not necessarily due to fat, but muscle shape.
I will never forget what my biology teacher told me: women are like salad bowls and men like a challice. (wine goblet/cup).

Still taking THAT imagery, Yeah…women got the breadth. XD

Men's arses tend to be angular in comic drawings. Square gluts. This is usually because of the way muscles fit onto the pelvis. Flatter arse is more masculine…apparently.

And that's all I care to divulge on the subject. XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Kohdok at 6:23PM, Sept. 4, 2007
(online)
Whee! Time to throw down my biology studies!

The typical man that is drawn with large shoulders and small butt is known as a “Mesomorph”. A mesomorph has a wider chest cavity than they have hips. Thus, it is easy to see how mesomorphism is common amongst men, who have more shoulder development than women.

Typical women are referred to as “Endomorphs”, where the hips are wider than the chest cavity. It is easy to see how there are a lot of female endomorphs because of the emphasis on pelvic growth.

Then again, there can be endomorphic men and Mesomorphic women, but they're less common.

Typical men find endomorphism (real as in bone structure, or implied by fat development on the hips and thighs) in women attractive. Women probably find emphasized mesomorphism attractive in men just the same.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
SteveMyers22 at 10:58PM, Sept. 4, 2007
(online)
Kohdok
Whee! Time to throw down my biology studies!

The typical man that is drawn with large shoulders and small butt is known as a “Mesomorph”. A mesomorph has a wider chest cavity than they have hips. Thus, it is easy to see how mesomorphism is common amongst men, who have more shoulder development than women.

Typical women are referred to as “Endomorphs”, where the hips are wider than the chest cavity. It is easy to see how there are a lot of female endomorphs because of the emphasis on pelvic growth.

Then again, there can be endomorphic men and Mesomorphic women, but they're less common.

Typical men find endomorphism (real as in bone structure, or implied by fat development on the hips and thighs) in women attractive. Women probably find emphasized mesomorphism attractive in men just the same.

Your biology studies sound remarkably similar to my old anthropology studies!

;)

(granted it was biological anthropology that I learned those terms in, heh). I used to take a lot of biological anthro courses because they really sharpened my anatomy drawing skills. It was like having a supplemental to figure drawing almost every semester my last 2 years of school.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
Vixus at 5:38AM, Sept. 5, 2007
(offline)
I'm glad I'm more of an ectomorph. XD
Tending my fruit, tending my fruit
Ah, you've got to have a hobby
A man must have a shed to keep him sane.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
TheMidge28 at 5:54PM, Sept. 5, 2007
(online)
JillyFoo
Well thank you. lol It wasn't quite the answers I was looking for but I don't know if this will be going anywhere good.

I was thinkin the idea that Naruto is drawn slightly more realistic and the butts on guys in Naruto are large.

different ages tend to have differing sized butts.

So do differing groups of people, male or female.

I guess it depends more on how unique you want the characters to be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM
mlai at 6:30PM, Sept. 5, 2007
(online)
In the case of Naruto, I think it's just the type of clothing most of them wear. Some characters who don't wear baggy clothing don't have the big male butts.

For example, Mizuki after he broke out of jail (eps. 145?). No big butt.

patrickdevine at 6:09PM, Sept. 8, 2007
(online)
I guess it depends on the sort of guy you want to draw. I use a shoulder-width comparison as a guide. In men hips are equal or less wide than the shoulders usually, women hips are equal or wider than the shoulders. Though when considering size I think it's good to note that guy hips and girl hips are shaped differently too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
MediaMessiah at 6:17PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
you should study the anatomy of the human body and make your observations on which you act on
A hot kiss is like a loose spiderweb, someones fly is gonna to get undone
A democrat is someone who would be a republican if he had the money
A blond can be bad at history and great on dates
A golfer yells“FORE”, takes five, and writes down three
A brassiere is a device to bring out a girls best points
A husband is a man who gave up priveleges he never knew he had
Bad Sex is an oxymoron

if any of these made you laugh, grin, smile, or any happy expression read my comic
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved