Media Megaforum

Animalympics
herio at 7:06PM, Aug. 8, 2008
(online)
to be gain with Animalympics is a really old cartoon movie but its not what were talking about in truth im more interested in you toughs on the olympics at hand and how you will think they will play out i wolud of liked to go and get bugs like the man of channel 7 was doing and see the citty but one i dont have pass port and if i go my bronchial asma would go on a felled day
i fell sorry for anyone with asma there

but anyway heres Animalympics the rest is up on utube some were

some add campaign

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Hawk at 8:17PM, Aug. 8, 2008
(online)
I thought, “Man, that announcer at the beginning of the first clip sounds just like Kent Brockman from Simpsons!” Sure enough, it's Harry Shearer. Not too shabby for an old cartoon, either.

That second clip was great! It looks like it's from the same studio that gave us Gorillaz.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
isukun at 8:48PM, Aug. 8, 2008
(online)
Not too shabby for an old cartoon, either.

While commissioned for television, it was still more of a special than anything else. It probably had a bit more time and effort put into it than your average 1980 cartoon TV episode. Also, if you look at the credits, not only is it fully animated in the US, a number of those animator names should look kind of familiar, like Roger Allers, Bill Kroyer, Dan Haskett, and Brad Bird. While simplified to some degree for TV, the whole project is more in line with traditional animation than limited.

It looks like it's from the same studio that gave us Gorillaz.

It is. Check out the Gorillaz web site and the concept is featured on the front page. Apparently they are releasing an album called Monkey: Journey to the West alongside some sort of stage show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
jalford at 3:28AM, Aug. 9, 2008
(online)
How many fucking times are they going to remake Dragonball!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
lastcall at 5:26AM, Aug. 9, 2008
(offline)
Funny you guys should mention this, I was watching “The Making of Tron” the other day, and Animalympics is made by Steven Lisberger, the same guy who wrote & directed Tron. He was originally an animator from Boston, and he and his studio did Animalympics for the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. Sadly, the boycott over the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan damped much ethusiasm over the games, and these things fell by the wayside. :( …On a happier note, this gave Lisberger the time he needed to concentrate on Tron. So it all worked out in the end.

I like that BBC ad. Thanks for posting it–never seen it before. Nifty!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
isukun at 9:23AM, Aug. 9, 2008
(online)
I hope you're trying to be funny jalford. That story existed long before Dragonball.
ozoneocean at 10:13AM, Aug. 9, 2008
(online)
isukun
It is. Check out the Gorillaz web site and the concept is featured on the front page. Apparently they are releasing an album called Monkey: Journey to the West alongside some sort of stage show.
I heard some of that on the BBC4 arts review program. It's quite beautiful.

Hewlet's a great artist and Alban is a good composer as well as a good musician :)
My Fave Money version will always be Monkey Magic though. Dragonball was fun, but shit as far as the Monkey story was even a little bit in it. Alban and Hewlit's version could well compete with the best retellings though I'm sure.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
skoolmunkee at 11:58AM, Aug. 9, 2008
(online)
isukun

The theatre show starts very soon (if it hasn't already) in London. It premiered a while ago at a Manchester arts festival. There was huge promotion here going on for it. I was in London Euston to catch a train and one of the trains (a big 15-car main line) had Monkey art all over it, just tons and tons of characters and drawings. I walked all the way down the train to look at it all, it was pretty striking. I wish Monkey would be an animated thing they'd release to DVD, because I like the art, but it's a live theatre show.

The clip that was posted was done specifically by Hewlett & co for the BBC. They're meant to be those programming intros before showing an Olympic event. I think there are a few others too, or perhaps just remixed versions.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
isukun at 4:00PM, Aug. 9, 2008
(online)
I think there is supposed to be animation mixed in with the stage show for some effects and such. The trailers I've seen for it also include clips from the above animation, so perhaps they incorporate it into the stage performance somehow.

My Fave Monkey version will always be Monkey Magic though.

I kind of like this version, personally.
jalford at 2:24AM, Aug. 10, 2008
(online)
Have to go with Alakazam The Great

It's got Johnathon Winters for Chrissake!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 4:54AM, Aug. 10, 2008
(online)
isukun
I kind of like this version, personally.
Nope. Monkey Magic was better. :)

I Still listen to the soundtrack…
Does the book have a soundtrack? Nooooooo!

Ah, Godiego… I did one of my post-grad assignments on them :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved