Media Megaforum

Animated Oscars
jalford at 12:10AM, Jan. 9, 2007
(online)
Luc Besson's Arthur and the Invisibles has been disqualified from the list of films eligible to be nominated for the Academy Award (Oscar) for Best Animated Feature Film. “Les Invisibles” was disqualified because animation accounted for less than 75% of the film's running time. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) requires that, to be eligible for the Best Animated Feature award, films must be more than 75% animated. Arthur and the Invisibles was a mixture of live-action and 3D CG.

As a result of the disqualification, only 15 titles are eligible to be nominated. According to AMPAS rules, 5 movies will be nominated if there are 16 or more that are eligible, and only 3 will be nominated if there are less than 16 eligible. There must be at least 8 movies eligible in order for the award to be given out.

Satoshi Kon's Paprika is one of the remaining 15 films eligible to be nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film. The other 14 are: Cars, Ice Age: The Meltdown, Happy Feet, Over the Hedge, The Ant Bully, Barnyard, Curious George, Everyone's Hero, Flushed Away, Monster House, Open Season, Paprika, Renaissance, A Scanner Darkly and The Wild. . The nominations will be announced on January 23rd, and the winners will be announced on February 25.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
isukun at 7:07AM, Jan. 9, 2007
(online)
You would think by those rules A Scanner Darkly would be out too. It isn't rotoscoping so much as it is running live action footage through a filter. Sin City was more animated than A Scanner Darkly. And it will be a dark day for animators when A Scanner Darkly wins the Oscar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
kingofsnake at 11:49AM, Jan. 9, 2007
(online)
didn't who framed roger rabbit get the oscar one year? Theres no way it's 75% animated.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
isukun at 12:04PM, Jan. 9, 2007
(online)
Roger Rabbit won four Oscars: Best Film Editing, Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Visual Effects and Special Achievement in Animation Direction. They didn't even have an Oscar for Best Animated Feature back then.
strong414bad at 2:52PM, Jan. 9, 2007
(online)
It's been a sad, sad year for animation.
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM
Hawk at 1:21AM, Jan. 10, 2007
(online)
We're entering the “vast wasteland” stage! Soon we'll see masses of awful CGI movies led by the likes of Hoodwinked, Barnyard, and Happily N'Ever After. Now and then a rare masterpiece will break apart the parade of box-office excrement.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
ccs1989 at 11:41AM, Jan. 10, 2007
(online)
I'm willing to be anything by Satoshi Kon is better than the other crap.

Ice Age better not win anything.

http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
jalford at 4:17AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(online)
I'm suprised with the CGI movie “boom” that's happened this year, that there wasn't enough to fill up enough for 5 nominees. They only did that once during the 2nd year the category was presented when Spirited Away won it.
Crazy Dutchman at 7:55AM, Jan. 11, 2007
(offline)
A Scanner Darkly just isn't animation. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is. A Scanner Darkly just uses a special style of filming to make it visually look like some sort of drawing. Who Framed Roger Rabbit uses animation for… animation! And it's even about animation. You could almost say that they use ‘real’ recordings and people to make it look visually like a real movie ;)
In A Scanner Darkly this animation-like style didn't have a real purpose besides that it just lookes cool, wich it just why I want to see it. Even the haters can't deny it looks at least interesting (because all most of the critics did go to see it).

I'm still dying to see Renaissance! I believe it rocks! But I that's not fully animated either, tough I can't tell very much about it.

Haven't seen any of te films, but only Scanner Darkly, Renaissance and Cars look interesting to me. But if Scanner and Renaissance aren't animation, the oscar should go to Cars.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
jalford at 1:42AM, Jan. 13, 2007
(online)
Rotoscoping is the thing that put Ralph Bashki on the map, but that was back in the 70s! You'd think they'd do something a little more up to date. Like Reeves hasn't been CGI'd enough in his last couple of movies.
isukun at 6:42AM, Jan. 14, 2007
(online)
I don't really consider A Scanner Darkly to be rotoscoping. Just about every movie these days runs live action footage through filters to get the desired color scheme, balance, clean up the film, add camera effects, etc. You even get some films which use filters throughout the film on every frame to get a desired visual effect, like Sin City and Sky Captain. A Scanner Darkly basically does the same thing with a different filter. They plug some live action footage into a computer and it pumps out the visual effect they're looking for, no animators required.
anystar at 3:38PM, Jan. 15, 2007
(offline)
Oh, I bet they had animators on hand to do corrections and so forth. I bet the program couldn't do ALL the things it needed to get the right effects. Some stuff just has to be done by hand. :3 And they have a whoooole slew of animators on their staff list also:
Paul Adam …. animator
Paul Ahern …. animator
Sterling Allen …. lead animator
Kevin Ang …. animator
Jason Archer …. head of animation
Benjamin Bays …. animator
Paul Beck …. head of animation
Blue Bliss …. assistant lead animator
John Bruch …. animator
Evan Cagle …. lead animator
Jason Chalker …. animator
Randy Cole …. animator
Melita Curphy …. animator
Gil Dean …. animal coordinator
Nick Derington …. lead animator
Wes Dixon …. electric intern
Jennifer Drummond …. animator
Rahab El Ewely …. animator
Holly Fisher …. animator
Michael P. Garza …. animator
Greg Geisler …. animator

…And that's not even a third of the list of animators. XD Though, I guess all those people could have just been sitting around running a computer program all day :P but why would they need so many people for that? Any case…

I'd still consider it rotoscoping..it's just rotoscoping with a computer. Rotoscoping is just ‘tracing’ over film to create an animated version. In essence, that's what Rotoshop does. It traces film with vectors. my brother watched the documentary for it, and saw that alot of the rotoscoping was done by animators tracing stuff in rotoshop with vectors, like doing a vector in Illustrator. So I doubt it was all just a filter. Much easier using a computer, yes, but still rotoscoping. Just like digital painting is still painting. I imagine that what separates rotoshop from illustrator is the ability to string the images together into an animation easier. But I dunno, I'd have to watch the documentary the whole way through (I only caught the tail end of it).

EDIT: I actually found a wiki article about how rotoshop works :3 you can trace keyframes in the computer (much like the traditional method of rotoscoping, but with vectors) and a process similar to tweening. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoshop

I actually liked Over the Hedge quite a bit, but I haven't seen most of those other movies. I like Satoshi Kon, so I do want to see Paprika :D
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Door_in_the_Rock/ >> Fantasy Graphic Novel in Black and White :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
jalford at 2:13AM, Jan. 20, 2007
(online)
Notice how Disney is slowly fading out because of this whole CGI movie buzz? They had to buy out Pixar just to keep their head afloat.
ccs1989 at 7:34AM, Jan. 20, 2007
(online)
Disney owns so freaking much that they really don't need to release animated movies anymore though. They're not really an animation company anyway, aside from creating TV shows for ToonDisney.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved