Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Anti-Alias> Photoshop CS2 coloring splotches?
parkbenchbook at 8:51AM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or advice for me. I'm completely self-taught when it come to photoshop. I'm ending up with white lines surrounding my black lines and details when I fill colors with paint-bucket.
I have Anti-alias: unchecked, Contiguous: checked and All Layers: unchecked. I set layers to multiply. Any thoughts?
I'm generally going for a flat and somewhat old-school approach but I'd like to get rid of all these white, uncolored specks.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Daiconv at 12:30PM, March 13, 2008
(online)
I recommend never using the paint bucket fill thingy. Do this instead:

when you open photoshop and open/import your image, copy the layer that it's on and then delete the original and rename the copy to “line art” or something.

after that, set your “line art” layer to multiply and create a new layer. rename the new layer to “colors” or something like that.(you should get into a habit of always naming your layers). now drag the new layer underneath the “line art” layer.

so now you should have 2 layers, with the “line art” layer on top set to multiply and the “colors” layer underneath that. Now lock your “line art” layer and select the color layer.

now you just use the paintbrush or pencil tool to paint underneath your “line art” layer on the “colors” layer. If you go outside the lines, just use the eraser tool to touch it up.

You could do all your colors on the “colors” layer, but I like having a separate layer for every color. So for instance, let's say you just put painted all you reds on the “colors” layer, you can make a new layer, drag that underneath the “colors” layer and use that for all your blues, and then just repeat the process for all your additional colors. This is where naming your layers comes in handy, because if you like me, you end up having a billion layers by the time you're done.

so when you're all finished with your colors, just flatten your layers and that's it.

so I hope this helps you out.
wow, I typed a lot, I hope this wasn't too long winded.
without buttcheecks, it's just a hole.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
parkbenchbook at 4:25PM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
Thanks for typing so much! It was very helpful and I'm going to give it a try.
parkbenchbook at 9:27AM, March 15, 2008
(offline)
Daiconv,
I used your method and the results were certainly an improvement. Although, I did sneak in some paint bucket in the backgrounds because I was going for a kind of Warhol reference. I'm going to keep coloring like this and hopefully will only get better as I get used to it.

Thanks again!

Daiconv at 1:50PM, March 15, 2008
(online)
I'm glad I could help.
without buttcheecks, it's just a hole.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved