Debate and Discussion

anti-americanism
Kristen Gudsnuk at 3:04AM, Feb. 2, 2007
(online)
dammit I hate it when people hear something ignorant and backwards, blindly religious or overly simplified and say, “what an American thing to say.”
I hate it when people from other countries –and other Americans, oddly enough– trash the United States like we're a nation of buffoons.
When I was in Chile, we were all at a bar discussing philosophy and politics and a whole heaping of garbled ‘intellectual’ stuff, when this one guy said to a girl I know, "what an estadounidense thing to say“.
It's so annoying when an entire country gets written off as rich, ignorant fatties!!!!

And what's worse is when Americans themselves shrug it off and say, ”I don't really consider myself an American, I'm not proud to be American.“ Why is it so effing shameful???!!!
And ooh, ”'hollywood movies' are just far too cliche, they don't capture the SAVAGE REALISM and HONESTY of foreign films.“ Bullshit!!! American movies are great!!! Cliches exist for a reason, and tried-and-true formulas are repeated because they're successful!!!
We're just a country, no better, no worse than anywhere else! Americans should achknowledge that it's not just the uneducated, ignorant hicks (oh no… sorry that's mean… sorry… I'm just… whatever) that make up this country, but smart people and average people too!
And! (this may be off topic, but!) for anime/manga fans: why are the americans featured in anime/manga so horrifically paper-thin? Like Lucy from Midori Days- she's a cowgirl?!?! And all the Americans in Gravitation shoot each other?? Why oh WHY does the rest of the world HATE MEEE???
Yes, because as an American I take anti-americanism personally.
And as a sensitive artiste, it burns through to the quivering core of my soul.

And ”Triplets of Belleville" that everyone was foaming at the mouth about?! WTF??? why the blind hatred?? arrgh! The latter half of that film was skinny old french ladies being mind-raped by fat american culture.
not all americans are fat!
and not all fat people are evil!
YAAAAGH!

wow, that was quite a rant. oh well, it's 6 am, I guess I'm too half-asleep to use my judgement and not post this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
kyupol at 5:18AM, Feb. 2, 2007
(online)
I hate it when people from other countries –and other Americans, oddly enough– trash the United States like we're a nation of buffoons.

A few reasons:

1) Policy in Iraq and Middle East

2) Presence of US bases in every corner of the world. There are people from these countries that think US is infringing on their sovereignity.

3) Silly news stories like 17 year old guy going to jail for consensual sex… and 7 year old kid getting suspended/expelled/cops involved because of “sexual harrassment”. A 7 year old kid doesnt know the word “sexual” or “harrassment” to begin with. And what about… kids shooting up their schools… random snipers… crazy ass animal rights and religious groups, etc…

And what's worse is when Americans themselves shrug it off and say, “I don't really consider myself an American, I'm not proud to be American.” Why is it so effing shameful???!!!

I wouldnt be proud either if my country was involved in oppressing others. I would bow my head in shame.

And ooh, "'hollywood movies' are just far too cliche, they don't capture the SAVAGE REALISM and HONESTY of foreign films.

The reason americans say this is because they havent seen the foreign films that are “crap” that never get shown in America. Why would a foreign country show its shitty films abroad if it will only give them international embarrassment? For instance, there are hundreds of shitty Filipino films that are cliche… But the films that get to be shown abroad… and subbed to English are the ones with quality. Watch “Jose Rizal” and “Munting Tinig (Small Voices).” Those are our films with good quality.

American films show their crappy films in America because it wont give them international embarrassment if it never leaves its shores. I've seen a few low budget American films that wouldnt cut it in international standards. Example: Gang Tapes, Snitched, Nostradamus (the low budget version… but good story)

Yes, because as an American I take anti-americanism personally.

Then… in your little way, try showing the world that Americans are good. I understand patriotism. And I believe that America is lacking in that department. I believe that to encourage patriotism in America… history should be taught more seriously and when the national anthem plays, one must stand up and put his/her hand on the opposite side of his/her chest as a display of patriotism.

Could also work to salute the flag whenever the anthem plays.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Inkmonkey at 6:59AM, Feb. 2, 2007
(online)
I think both of you are overthinking this whole thing, but maybe that's just me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Aurora Moon at 7:40AM, Feb. 2, 2007
(offline)
I agree with ink Monkey.

I'm against the war, hell, I'm pretty much against almost everything that president Bush wants to do with our country right now. yet I'm not against America itself. I just don't agree with our ever so “wonderful” leader on a lot of issues.
I'm not ashamed to be an American… that's just I'm ashamed of our country sounding like it's just a country full of retards thanks to the public media. I can't help but wonder how many morons will think it's alright to act like an idiot in America thanks to the news.

like some of the news recently:
“omg!! the biology teacher actually was doing his job teaching our precious little child by showing him/her an picture of an humans body in high school!! I'm SO offended that the teacher shows an actual chart of the human body showing how our body functions, inducing an picture of humans naked that I must call for him to be expelled never to work in the local schools around here ever again!!”
And on top of it the reporter also actually interviewed an kid who wasn't even in high school yet of what the kid thought of that sort of thing… uh, why ask an kid who isn't even taking high school classes of what he thinks of what an high school teacher did?

I just hate it that such blatant signs of stupidity is allowed, especially when it makes it even harder for the people to do an good job doing what they are supposed to do.
Teachers can't be teachers anymore…they're basically just an glorified daycare take-carer. parents fail to recognize that School is supposed to be there to actually educate your kids on matters even in things that parents may not agree with, so that they can have an knowledge of the world. So that their kids can actually Survive out there.
it's not like daycare where you can just drop off your precious babies to be taken care of by an babysitter while you work, and your babies do nothing but play.

and people wonder why the kids seems to be doing things that the adults knew better than to do when they were at the age… because the stupidity of those assholes has caused people to halt the progress of education!

that's one of the parts that I'm ashamed about. I hate the fact that more wiser and the more rational Americans aren't rallying against this kind of thing together. I tried rallying on my own, but couldn't get an group together.

to Sum it up: I am not ashamed to be an American. In fact, I'm PROUD of the Good bits of what makes our country great… I just don't agree with certain things and is ashamed that there are actually stupid Americans who wants to make it worse, or even sully the good name of America.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Vagabond at 11:33AM, Feb. 2, 2007
(online)
America makes no effort to control the export of its culture overseas.

I mean, look at Japan. On the surface, you've got the image of a meek, hard-working people all across the board. Dig deeper though, and you've got a very Male-based culture in which you are guaranteed to at least graduate to high school no matter how little you try. And then there's the “Used Panty Machines” they used to have…

Now my intention isn't to compare the two cultures, as it's pretty much like comparing apples and potatoes. My point is that Japan makes a very conscious effort to not only export products, but also opinions of what they want other countries to have about them. Meanwhile, here in the USA, we don't even remotely try to, so as a result, we get judged by what Floridians do. Or what Paris Hilton does. Or whatever mischief one dumbass gets into.

And yeah, all I can say is, “Oh well.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Phantom Penguin at 12:48PM, Feb. 2, 2007
(offline)
I agree 100% and it really pisses me off when i hear it. Its not really THAT hard to move somewhere else.

It pisses me off more when i get the ‘baby killer’ and ‘criminal’ slurs thrown at me..by my own countrymen.

Its fucking disgusting.

And PS:
Civilians dont need to salute the flag.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Aurora Moon at 2:18PM, Feb. 2, 2007
(offline)
Phantom Penguin
It pisses me off more when i get the ‘baby killer’ and ‘criminal’ slurs thrown at me..by my own countrymen.

you can blame the ever so lovely news media for that one… people who are dumb enough to buy into every tripe that some news channels out there throws out believes such things.

It's a shame how the news isn't just about straightforward, non-biased reporting anymore. They have to sensationalize every bit of negative news, etc… make it seem more worse than it really is. So every time any news comes up about innocent civilians getting caught in crossfires, about any prisoners of war being abused, etc… they jump on that information like a pack of wild, hungry dogs. they'll then go out and make it seem like every army man was shooting at civilians just for the hell of it, and that they also enjoy torturing and raping them too. Never mind the fact that the few guys who actually intentionally does such things is caught, charged and punished while the rest of the regular army guys were just doing their jobs and most likely wasn't aware until it came to light by the investigations, etc.

people who buys into such news is just as guilty of being stupid as any moron who thinks that half the TV shows on TV or even video games are real.
Thats why I usually look deeper into every bit of news report to see if there's any sides or angles that they didn't report for a reason… things that they might had “accidentally” left out based on the fact that it wasn't exciting enough.

Yeah, the news media is one of the things I dislike too… it's like the news were supposed to be truthful, showing all the sides and all the facts. but half the time they don't do that.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
ozoneocean at 4:12PM, Feb. 2, 2007
(online)
Outside of the USA there is a very good reason for anti-Americanism: cultural imperialism.
Besides, it's also the most powerful of all the powerful countries. This power is used to back up its cultural exports.

Think about it! If you have all pervasive ideas and products, ways of doing things etc bombarding you from without, aren't you going to resent the country that does the bombarding? This would be exactly the same situation regardless of what country was in the position the US currently sits… In point of fact, it always has been!
Britain used to suffer the same slings and arrows, France, Spain, Russia still does, you can even find plenty of records that show Ancient Rome was thought of the same way. :)

Whatever. If you're living in a country that holds this position of power in the world, you simply have to accept the bad as well as the good. If you can't accept anti-Americanism, then change your country. -funnily enough that's exactly the same advice you give your so called anti-Americans within the US, except this has more merit. ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
subcultured at 4:13PM, Feb. 2, 2007
(online)
kyupol
A few reasons:

1) Policy in Iraq and Middle East

2) Presence of US bases in every corner of the world. There are people from these countries that think US is infringing on their sovereignity.

3) Silly news stories like 17 year old guy going to jail for consensual sex… and 7 year old kid getting suspended/expelled/cops involved because of “sexual harrassment”. A 7 year old kid doesnt know the word “sexual” or “harrassment” to begin with. And what about… kids shooting up their schools… random snipers… crazy ass animal rights and religious groups, etc…

Then… in your little way, try showing the world that Americans are good. I understand patriotism. And I believe that America is lacking in that department. I believe that to encourage patriotism in America… history should be taught more seriously and when the national anthem plays, one must stand up and put his/her hand on the opposite side of his/her chest as a display of patriotism.

Even though i wasn't born in america, i consider myself american (US citizen)

1) A lot of americans think it's stupid, just that we can't do shit about it. the good thing is i can say it was a stupid plan and not get killed by the gov't about it. unlike in other countries were the freedom of speech is ignored. You think your country asks for your permission about everything?

2) i'm sure we are bombing those countries where we have US bases. it's there to protect the people of that country (plus US investments possibly). you gotta remember that America is a superpower and has a lot of investments all over the world. poorer countries don't..that's why they don't have military presence everywhere.

3) there are several places (thialand, india…etc) where child prostitution is gloss over. skin trade exists also in other countries (kidnapped girls that are transported through a network to be sold as sex slaves. mostly blond/blue/eyed girls). Since America keeps tabs on a lot of information and news travel fast that's why you hear that more. did you hear about the 10 year old prostitute in india that was killed? no because they cover it up..or the truth never comes out.

in africa there is a band of teenagers that practiced tribal genocide…do you hear about that? no you hear about some rich kids from a well to do neighborhood killing thier classmates. yea like that doesn't happen a lot in the poorer parts of the city. it's more shocking because they had a money and opportunity to do well.

-our government does not make us, the citizens make America. why be prejudice to a group of people based on the practice of a smaller set and stupider people from that group?

-America isn't perfect…but no country is. the conditions are better than most with getting opportunity. why do you think there is an influx of immigration from other countries? why is it so hard for people to get in? because people can be successful in America if they work hard.

-btw, i still get teary eyed when the national athem plays. and i still put my hand up to my heart.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
simonitro at 3:54AM, Feb. 3, 2007
(online)
First of… I am not an American nor an American citizen!

I really like the United States and every country in the world has its advantages and the disadvantages.

I've been to America about 3 times and to be honest, I really loved staying there. American people are amazingly nice and I've been to South Carolina and it felt like paradise.

Anyway, the reason why people consider themselves against America because Americans did couple of mistakes to create this hate. To be honest, we, Arabs, aren't 100% clean. We can be really savages. I know sometimes America tried to help but sometimes they do it in a wrong way that conflicts against them and that is when America tries to protect their troops or something.

I fucking hate politics and the lying media… those elements are really evil.

When America came to Kuwait, it did improve the country and I keep on going from Lebanon… Kuwait… and Canada. I can say Kuwait's improving in everything all thanks to the US. Without the US, most countries would be eating themselves… that's what my dad says.

I would really appreciate that the US would rule Lebanon instead of ourselves, Iran, Syria, or Hizbollah. We, Lebanese, could really destructive to our home nation which is pathetic. I feel shame sometimes of being Lebanese because of our turd heads.

To me, I would support America more than being against America.

Besides, my uncle lives in Austin, Texas :p!

Oh, about foriegn films… like Arabic music and movies… THEY ARE FUCKING CRAP! Arabic movies send me to sleep with its crapiness and you don't wanna see a Lebanese act. Shit, monkeys would act better than Lebanese!

Enjoy… Las Vegas-y
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
Phantom Penguin at 8:57AM, Feb. 3, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
Phantom Penguin

you can blame the ever so lovely news media for that one… people who are dumb enough to buy into every tripe that some news channels out there throws out believes such things.

It's a shame how the news isn't just about straightforward, non-biased reporting anymore. They have to sensationalize every bit of negative news, etc… make it seem more worse than it really is. So every time any news comes up about innocent civilians getting caught in crossfires, about any prisoners of war being abused, etc… they jump on that information like a pack of wild, hungry dogs. they'll then go out and make it seem like every army man was shooting at civilians just for the hell of it, and that they also enjoy torturing and raping them too. Never mind the fact that the few guys who actually intentionally does such things is caught, charged and punished while the rest of the regular army guys were just doing their jobs and most likely wasn't aware until it came to light by the investigations, etc.

people who buys into such news is just as guilty of being stupid as any moron who thinks that half the TV shows on TV or even video games are real.
Thats why I usually look deeper into every bit of news report to see if there's any sides or angles that they didn't report for a reason… things that they might had “accidentally” left out based on the fact that it wasn't exciting enough.

Yeah, the news media is one of the things I dislike too… it's like the news were supposed to be truthful, showing all the sides and all the facts. but half the time they don't do that.

No i wont blame that on the media. I will blame it on the people who do it. Its shifting blame on the media. People do that to much. From books to TV, Movies and video games people shift blame to save themselfs and im pretty sick of it.

That is one thing i truly hate about this country. Yes its a general grouping of all of the nation but it fits.

The blame is never taken by the people who need to be taking it.
The people who think me and my comrades are criminals are ignorant. And its not the medias fault. Its their fault.
To belive everything you hear on the glowing pretty box in your living room is ignorant enough. Then you act out, and blame it on a inanimate object.

wow. and people don't think those people are nuts?
kyupol at 9:19AM, Feb. 3, 2007
(online)
The people who think me and my comrades are criminals are ignorant.

Well what can you do? You're just following orders.

And I dont blame the American troops who choose to flee to Canada because of disillusionment… and feel that America is not worth fighting for.

And I'd feel sorry for you and for your comrades… if you're unlucky enough to be alive but lifeless. Like you know… if you get incinerated by a roadside bomb and one of those little nails in there enters your spine… leaving your body paralyzed but still conscious. Or maybe… an insurgent with a sniper aims for the neck, since that is the least armored area.

Thats the worst shit to happen. Yea the armor saved your life but killed you at the same time.

IMO, the iraqi insurgent is luckier because with no armor, he dies faster and no need for him to suffer the warehouse treatment. And at least, the enemy you are fighting there will be a martyr to his people when he dies fighting you. His family will be respected… his mother, sisters… be treated like queens in the neighborhood. Like in this youtube vid I watched about a suicide bomber's mom. Every time she passes by her friends, her friends have high respect for her as being the mother of a mujahideen.

And what about the american soldier? Will you be treated like a martyr?

And then what?

After being left in an alive but lifeless state, You'd be shipped to a warehouse to live the rest of your life paralyzed neck down. Only to be abused by one of these pigs… er…. workers and called a criminal and shit. Without appreciating the sacrifice you tried to do for your country.

I'm sure you heard of american troops coming back to America only to get spat on and called a criminal… by the people he risked his life for. I'm sure you heard of soldiers coming home only to see wifey leaving him…

Man thats like… shit. I wanna seriously fucking cry imagining I'm a soldier coming home only to be disrespected and shit.

But its up to you, man… if you wish to continue being a soldier and fight for your country.
NOW UPDATING!!!
subcultured at 9:44AM, Feb. 3, 2007
(online)
not all soldiers die or become paralyze.

even if i don't agree with the fighting, i still respect the soldiers for their bravery by putting thier life for the country.

besides there are a lot of soldiers that make it and use those battle experience from wars and seeing injustice to become good cops or good doctors.

long time ago after world war II, the most succesful college student was the veterans that came back. They were more dicipline and more determine to get an education. they realize that they fought for this opportunity and freedom to succeed.
J
Aurora Moon at 10:08AM, Feb. 3, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
even if i don't agree with the fighting, i still respect the soldiers for their bravery by putting thier life for the country. .

that's how I feel about the situation too. I don't agree with bush on most issues and I'm against the war.. but I will not certainly hold anything against the soilders and the recruits who choose to fight. they made thier own descisions, and they had the courage to do something about what they believe in.

Phantom Penguin
No i wont blame that on the media. I will blame it on the people who do it. Its shifting blame on the media. People do that to much. From books to TV, Movies and video games people shift blame to save themselfs and im pretty sick of it.

That is one thing i truly hate about this country. Yes its a general grouping of all of the nation but it fits.

The blame is never taken by the people who need to be taking it.
The people who think me and my comrades are criminals are ignorant. And its not the medias fault. Its their fault.
To belive everything you hear on the glowing pretty box in your living room is ignorant enough. Then you act out, and blame it on a inanimate object.

wow. and people don't think those people are nuts?

Well, you're halfway right.. not all of the blame rests on the News Media, of course. But you realize of course that the News Media isn't just some fictional TV show, or an entertainment piece like video games.
The News are run by real people, people who are supposed to report things HONESTLY and WITHOUT BIAS.
Newcasters are taken as seriously as say, a policeman or other job positions where people depend on them on a regluar basis. People depend on Newcasters and newpapers for a daily source of information on many various issues, things that they wouldn't normally know about otherwise.
So that leaves some people in a somewhat vurable position–if they don't have certain knowlege on certain issues and stuff, and has no net access to do reserech…. and thier only source of information is from a newpaper or the news on TV–then that's all they'll ever know of an situation.

So if say some biased newpaper fed those people lies like: “omg, stem cells is made out of REAL DEAD BABIES so that's why you should totally be against it!!” Then those people are really gonna think that way. Random info: majority of stem cells nowdays actually comes from plaenetcas, that gross bloody lump of tissue that used to line the womb that comes out of a woman AFTER they have given birth to an alive, healthy baby. so nowdays stem cells doesn't really come from aborted fetuses.

but yeah, if people act out on misinformation and ingorance, then they're also as much to blame as the News is.
Phantom Penguin at 12:28PM, Feb. 3, 2007
(offline)
kyupol
The people who think me and my comrades are criminals are ignorant.

Well what can you do? You're just following orders.

And I dont blame the American troops who choose to flee to Canada because of disillusionment… and feel that America is not worth fighting for.

And I'd feel sorry for you and for your comrades… if you're unlucky enough to be alive but lifeless. Like you know… if you get incinerated by a roadside bomb and one of those little nails in there enters your spine… leaving your body paralyzed but still conscious. Or maybe… an insurgent with a sniper aims for the neck, since that is the least armored area.

Thats the worst shit to happen. Yea the armor saved your life but killed you at the same time.

IMO, the iraqi insurgent is luckier because with no armor, he dies faster and no need for him to suffer the warehouse treatment. And at least, the enemy you are fighting there will be a martyr to his people when he dies fighting you. His family will be respected… his mother, sisters… be treated like queens in the neighborhood. Like in this youtube vid I watched about a suicide bomber's mom. Every time she passes by her friends, her friends have high respect for her as being the mother of a mujahideen.

And what about the american soldier? Will you be treated like a martyr?

And then what?

After being left in an alive but lifeless state, You'd be shipped to a warehouse to live the rest of your life paralyzed neck down. Only to be abused by one of these pigs… er…. workers and called a criminal and shit. Without appreciating the sacrifice you tried to do for your country.

I'm sure you heard of american troops coming back to America only to get spat on and called a criminal… by the people he risked his life for. I'm sure you heard of soldiers coming home only to see wifey leaving him…

Man thats like… shit. I wanna seriously fucking cry imagining I'm a soldier coming home only to be disrespected and shit.

But its up to you, man… if you wish to continue being a soldier and fight for your country. If you really feel the Iraqi fighters are luckier then me then you are very fucked in the head. Attack chopers armored tanks and thousands of well armed profesional soldiers attacking your country. Yes they are very lucky.
My tank destroyed hundreds of fighters in Fallujah. Guess how many people they killed from my tank? 0.

America not worth fighting for? You wouldn't fight for your family? Thats why i joined. I couldn't careless about protecting you or your friends. If you think any of us do you must think we are GI joe or something.
Body armor has saved hundreds of lives, including mine. I will risk being “warehoused” so i can take a bullet to the head or chest and live.
And i could run over IEDs all day and not worrie. The Iraqis can't make bombs that hurt our tanks. Only tank we lost to enemy fire all the crewmen lived and it was lost to a small engine fire and a lucky shot from a recoiless rifle round.

Yes. The american soldiers are very unlucky aren't we?
And to risk loosing our wifes over going to war. Again is not our fault. a woman that marrys a soldier knows fully the possiblity they will go to a war zone for a year or more. If they cheat or leave their husbands its not our fault, to think that you are flawed in the head. the the wifes fault for being so weak hearted.

That has to be the most ignorant comment i've heard since i joined the military. And thats really saying something.
ozoneocean at 12:54PM, Feb. 3, 2007
(online)
Perhaps you could just quote the passage you want to address, rather than the entire post? Makes things a bit hard to follow.

kyupol at 1:10PM, Feb. 3, 2007
(online)
If you really feel the Iraqi fighters are luckier then me then you are very fucked in the head. Attack chopers armored tanks and thousands of well armed profesional soldiers attacking your country. Yes they are very lucky.
My tank destroyed hundreds of fighters in Fallujah. Guess how many people they killed from my tank? 0.

America not worth fighting for? You wouldn't fight for your family? Thats why i joined. I couldn't careless about protecting you or your friends. If you think any of us do you must think we are GI joe or something.
Body armor has saved hundreds of lives, including mine. I will risk being “warehoused” so i can take a bullet to the head or chest and live.
And i could run over IEDs all day and not worrie. The Iraqis can't make bombs that hurt our tanks. Only tank we lost to enemy fire all the crewmen lived and it was lost to a small engine fire and a lucky shot from a recoiless rifle round.

Yes. The american soldiers are very unlucky aren't we?
And to risk loosing our wifes over going to war. Again is not our fault. a woman that marrys a soldier knows fully the possiblity they will go to a war zone for a year or more. If they cheat or leave their husbands its not our fault, to think that you are flawed in the head. the the wifes fault for being so weak hearted.

Yo chill. I didnt mean to cause offense. Sorry if you took my post the wrong way.

I was just trying to express my sympathy for american soldiers and the possible shit they might take once they come home. I do not support the Iraq war but I still give US troops the credit for having the guts to go there and fighting for what you believe in.

Sorry for being “ignorant”… yeah… I never been to Iraq and all my sources are either the news or the other msg boards with US troops sharing their experiences or the experiences of their friends. so yeah I'd give you that.

I do not hate US troops but the government that exploits them.

And btw, I wish you a good luck over there in Iraq… and… if ever you are to die, I hope you get a dignified death with little or no suffering…. if ever you come home, I hope you are treated like a hero.

NOW UPDATING!!!
subcultured at 1:19PM, Feb. 3, 2007
(online)
hahaha^

i hope you don't die. and give 'em hell!

J
ozoneocean at 1:38PM, Feb. 3, 2007
(online)
If debate quality continues to fall like this I'm going to start deleting posts again, this time I won't be nice and give explanations. :gem:

The topic here is “Anti-Americanism”!
What is your stance in regard to this topic? Is such feeling justified or too overblown? Have you suffered from it personally, or have you suffered something that has caused you to feel that way?

subcultured at 12:29PM, Feb. 4, 2007
(online)
ever realize there are a lot of american bashing on the utube comments…it's not like america help create the internet and created an era of faster information. oh wait, we did.

even terrorists have websites with their propaganda. so american technology is good for them, but not american people or tolerance of our ideals.

hypocracy is ringing a big bell
J
ccs1989 at 12:37PM, Feb. 4, 2007
(online)
I find nothing wrong with America itself. I think the system works as long as the people are there to make sure the system works. I think, however, that the people haven't been doing enough to make sure that the system works and are allowing certain people to get away with things they shouldn't be able to get away with.

Not naming any names, but I'm sure you can figure out who I'm talking about.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
ozoneocean at 12:52PM, Feb. 4, 2007
(online)
subcultured
even terrorists have websites with their propaganda. so american technology is good for them, but not american people or tolerance of our ideals.
That's silly. The US government distrusts and hates Arab nations, but they still use all the science of astronomy, medicine and mathematics that the Arabs developed… As well as their oil to fuel US progress. Is that Hypocrisy? Of course not.

Everyone has the right to criticise without having to justify their right to do so.

subcultured at 12:59PM, Feb. 4, 2007
(online)
then people should say “anti-american government” and leave the citizens that have nothing to do with the war alone.
J
subcultured at 1:11PM, Feb. 4, 2007
(online)
besides it's not the people that came up with the math/astronomy/market currency/spinning yarn that crashed those planes into 9/11, embassy bombings in Dar es Salaam Tanzania and Nairobi, Kenya, and other crimes against humanity

what has osama (or others like him) done to make a world a better place to live?
J
ozoneocean at 1:35PM, Feb. 4, 2007
(online)
War is a far greater crime against humanity ;)

But we're getting away from the point, what I was responding to wasn't about the terrorists specifically, but people using the web as a forum for anti-Americanism: they can do that with perfect validity.

And again, when a country is the the seat of greatest power, its people simply have to learn to accept the negative stuff that flows their way: the most powerful country always imposes things (ideas, culture, restrictions, war etc.) on all others and sometimes they may not like it, so they respond in various ways. This is the case no matter which country has the seat of power; accept it as a badge of position because it comes with the territory.

If you can't accept it, perhaps you should move to one of the countries that sits bellow the US on the power hierarchy…

Look: Australia is the most powerful country in its region. New Zealand, Indonesia, Singapore etc. are below us on the hierarchy and sometimes there is some negative feeling expressed (…Well I've never heard anything bad from Singapore), this situation is MANY times worse with all the little pacific island countries, all the Melanesian and Polynesian Island nations near us: Papua New Guinea, Samoa, etc. And I realise perfectly that we deserve it! We interfere in their governments, impose unfair trade deals on them, make sure we get the lion's share of natural resources like oil, gas, fish stocks… And I've no idea about our cultural imposts but I'm sure those aren't always appreciated either.

Now in the case of the US, the situation is multiplied a thousand fold. ALL countries are below it on the ladder, so all suffer (or believe they suffer), ill effects somewhat, as well as whatever “benefits” the US might bestow on them. ^_^

Charlox at 12:56PM, Feb. 6, 2007
(offline)
Speaking as an American myself, the issue of anti-americanism is a far more complicated issue and we've only scratched the surface. For one thing, hating our gov't, our not so spotless history (especially this past 20th century), foreign policy, our media, etc does not mean you hate America. What I always thought was that being an American meant that when you truly believed something is wrong, you tried to do something about it like our forefathers did and not just become completely blinded by patriotism. In my opinion people who question our gov't and the legitimacy of it's actions are far more patriotic than flag-wavers.

I think one of the main reasons for hatred of our country has been our foreign policy and i'm not just talking about just the war in Iraq. For example, this past century our gov't installed puppet dictatorships around the world because previous gov'ts were not in our best interest causing death and misery in those countries. Exploitation which is arguably one of the foundations of our capitalist system, is another issue that causes hatred and distrust for our country. I can go on and on, but it's definitely not only jealousy (it can be in some cases), the reason that people around the world hate us.

As for being stereotyped in foreign media, we do the same thing in our country all the time. and about Hollywood producing crap, it's our own damn fault because many of us still go waste our hard earned money to see bad movies. It's the same with the music industry.

PS: The majority of our media is NOT liberal. The only reason why many people label them liberal is because as soon as run something that has truth and facts (something FOX News knows nothing about) but at the same time makes our officials look bad, they're being biased. “Fair and Balanced” my ass… I take a look at foreign News channels, and they report Iraq and other foreign issues in a much different light. Either way we will continue living in a delusional state where everything is right with the world, our economy is doing great, and everybody loves us!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved