Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

any tips for expanding/promoting websites?
Jules at 10:39AM, July 10, 2008
(online)
2 months ago I started a website and I wanted to know if anyone had any particular tips that could help me expand it so that it could more known and out there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
lba at 8:14PM, July 10, 2008
(online)
Well, first there's good old word of mouth. That's probably the most effective, but time consuming method. Talking about it to people you meet and making it sound interesting in addition to having a presence on various forums, sites, and other parts of the internet will spread your name and stuff. When you talk about your work or are dealing with people directly in an effort to start an interest in what you're doing, it absolutely key that you give a good impression of yourself and your work. Be nice, outgoing and friendly. Use good grammar and remember the first rule of salesmanship: never talk down about your work or others except in the form of an honest critique if it is asked for. You're essentially selling yourself and what you do. You cannot afford to damage your own reputation by disrespecting your own work or other's work.

Also, keeping in mind your target audience is important, especially when you're advertising in a way where you aren't directly involved with people. If you're using Project Wonderful, it's important that you take the time to flip through the entire site that you plan on advertising through. If you're selling humor, you need to find a humor site where the jokes aren't too different from yours in tone and content. It does you no good to advertise on a comic that's all about gamer jokes if you're making political jokes. You won't get the best return for your time and money. At the same time, if you know your site isn't flashy, don't use flashy ads. Never promise more than what you have and always keep your content consistent. It's the same as using good grammar. When your site content is in keeping with what the ad displays it gives people a sense that it's not gimmicky or poorly done and they're more likely to stick around.

You should also take into account the venue through which you're advertising. Some are good at giving you a high volume of people, but they're not all that great for keeping them. Projects like Stumble Upon will get a large number of people coming to your site, but a very high percentage will not bookmark the site. You may get 100 people there and not have a single one return or navigate through the site like I did when I decided to see how effective Stumble Upon was. However, that's also going to be one of the easiest ways to advertise. Other methods offer very few clicks or viewers but excellent return rates. Things like features or plugs can produce a good number of return visitors, but it's a lot harder to get featured or plugged. In my case, it took almost 200 pages before oz realized that my comic had been overlooked for a feature.

That's a big wall of text there, but I hope at least some of it is helpful. If you've got any more specific questions I could help more.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Jules at 3:56PM, July 11, 2008
(online)
Wow, thanks!

A lot of what you said seems like it could really help (especially the whole targeting-audience part).

I'll take it in consideration and again thanks!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved