Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Any tips to get past this?
Bimbo_Zombie at 11:33PM, Feb. 21, 2007
(online)
I think its artists block, I don't know. Its just really bad.
I haven't updated in a while for many reasons:
a) It takes me months of constant screw ups to create one page thanks to ‘teh Gimp’.
b) Everything is just…slow?

I think my artwork is getting better (Is it?) but the colouring work on the computer? All my back grounds look like discoloured vomit. Sometimes the colours look off and flat. My pages look kind of dull. And I think there could be something wrong with my lineart. I don't know what it is, but it just seems off.
Basicly, I want to improve everything about my comic.
And if it helps for a diagnosis:
http://www.drunkduck.com/Planets_of_Felin/
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Darth Mongoose at 12:33AM, Feb. 22, 2007
(online)
Whoah, that is some nasty compression you got there! Have you tried saving in a different format? Like a png or a higher quality jpg?
Comics take a long time. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about that apart from keep drawing and you'll gradually get faster at drawing. I expect to spend at very very least four hours per page on FanDanGo, usually closer to six hours.
For your colours…hmm, try moving away from such heavy primary colours maybe? Just nudge every colour you use a little toward brown or grey. Try to create a colour style for your comic, like using pastels, or natural tones, or rich, dark tones. If you want a page with a warm feel, nudge all your colours toward red a little, if you want a cold feel, nudge them toward blue. You can do some pretty cool stuff with colour, so experiment!
Obviously, as a final word, you can't do a comic if you aren't enjoying it. If you're not having fun, try to work out why, and fix it, make your comic enjoyable for yourself first.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved