Media Megaforum

Anyone A Fan Of 80's Movies
Tim Wellman at 8:32PM, April 12, 2011
(online)
I just love these movies… the 80's just had an innocence to them, full of hope and silliness. Here's a list of my favorites (and I have all of these on DVD)

The Sure Thing
Tremors
What About Bob
Weird Science
Back To School
Caddy Shack
High Road To China
Ghostbusters
Summer Rental
Cannibal Women In The Avocado Jungle Of Death
Better Off Dead
Sixteen Candles
Chopper Chicks In Zombietown
Meatballs
High Spirits
One Crazy Summer
Revenge Of The Nerds
Volunteers
The Great Outdoors
The Three Amigos
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Goonies
Gremlins
Munchies
Uncle Buck
Last American Virgin
License To Drive
Fright Night
Breakfast Club

I think I have more, but they're not in the 80's section of my DVD rack :-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Mitaukano at 11:08PM, April 12, 2011
(online)
I miss the 80's sometimes one of my all time favorite 80's movies, “Adventures in Babysitting” introduced me to giant hammers and acne cream.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
mlai at 8:59AM, April 13, 2011
(online)
Conan and its sequel is not on your list.
Neither is Krull.
Neither is Beastmaster.
Neither is Masters Of The Universe.

WTH? You discriminating against oiled half-naked blonde barbarians?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Hawk at 9:23AM, April 13, 2011
(online)
The 80's created too many great movies to be ignored. I especially loved The Goonies, Ghost Busters, and Better Off Dead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
ozoneocean at 10:47AM, April 13, 2011
(online)
Yeah, the big hit movies in the 80s were great- he also forgot all the Back to the Future films, Ferris Buler's Day Off, Lost Boys, Highlander, Princess Bride etc, but then he DID say the ones he listed were the ones in his DVD collection. ;)

What I loved most were all those stupid screw-ball comedies. I miss the days when Tom Hanks was a funny goofy skinny guy with a mullet who made at least one or three really cool funny stupid comedies every year. I miss Steve Gutenburg being the Tom Hanks clone and also making great stupid silly fantastic comedies every year (except all Police Academy films after No.2). I miss all those girls with blonde curly hair and nice round fake bare breasts in atl east 3 scenes in almost every comedy movie.
And I miss the massive plethora of great B and D sex comedies. They were sooooo cool! Always on TV after about 11 or 12 pm. The golden time ^____^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Chernobog at 2:34PM, April 13, 2011
(offline)
I completely agree!

There was a more creative sense of wonder to many 80's movies. Even bad ones… the 80's made a ton of great B rate movies, be it action, horror, or something quirky. Even the comedies are giants compared to a lot of current day stuff.

Ah, the memories… so many rainy weekends happily spent with the VCR.
Revenge of the Nerds, Robo Cop, Police Academy, Rambo, Commando, Big Trouble in Little China, etc.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Tim Wellman at 4:59PM, April 13, 2011
(online)
Yeah, I left a lot of good movies off my list :-) I loved the first Conan movie. And Red Sonja. And Sheena. And I left off the Tom Hanks' gems Man With One Red Shoe and Dragnet

I saw a book in the store today called ‘Don’t You forget About Me: Contemporary Writers on the Films of John Hughes'… a lot of writers talking about how those 80's films influenced them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
itsjustaar at 2:28AM, April 19, 2011
(online)
- Back to the Future I and II (III was in 1990, so I guess that doesn't count)
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- All three Indy films.
- Whichever Star Wars films arrived during this period. (can't really remember)
- Ghostbusters I and II
- Gremlins
- Wise Guys
- All Dogs Go to Heaven
- Oliver and Company
- No Holds Barred (so bad, it hurts)
- Die Hard… To not mention it would be a crime.
- Police Academy
- Big
- Dragnet (“Friendships start with first names.” – <== True dat.)
- Punchline
- Revenge of the Nerds
- Was Rambo III from the 80's? I can never find the first two around for rent.
- The Terminator
- Aliens
- Predator/Predator 2
- Lethal Weapon series
- Dead Heat
- Kickboxer
- Bloodsport…

Man… I either got rid of these movies in my stash at some point, but this is my little list.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
isukun at 5:03PM, April 19, 2011
(online)
Whichever Star Wars films arrived during this period. (can't really remember)
That would be the second and third films, which is about right, the first one tends to get more recognition than it deserves on nostalgia value, when really it's about on par with the new films in terms of writing and acting, but well below all five of the others in terms of special effects.

All Dogs Go to Heaven

You didn't mention Secret of NIMH, American Tail or the original Land Before Time and went straight for the worst Bluth movie of the 80's.

The first Michael Keaton Batman movie hit in ‘89, too.
As far as animated films go, you also had Transformers, Little Mermaid, Great Mouse Detective, Fox and the Hound, and a bunch of those rotoscoped movies like Fire and Ice, Rock and Rule, American Pop and Heavy Metal.
That’s also when the movie version of Pink Floyd's the Wall hit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
ozoneocean at 4:14AM, April 22, 2011
(online)
I think you can roughly define decades by the types of movies that you most remember them for-

70s- Lots of gritty, ultra-violent epics and generally lots of “realist” violence and dark themes.
80s- Sex comedies and humongous gigantic super blockbuster action movies built on insane premises. (and many horrible numbered sequels)
90s- heavily “ironic” comedies, dramas and action films. Without the 80s sense of fun, because they're all “wry”.
2000s- lottsa remakes trying to reinvent or just re-do films and film styles from the preceding eras.

That's how I remember them. Not gonna get into 20s. 30's, 40,s 50s and 60s. That's taking it too far.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Disgruntledrm at 12:46AM, May 21, 2011
(online)
Tacking on a few more, just for the heck of it. I really enjoy 80s flicks, and especially the obscure stuff.

Once Bitten
Fright Night 2 (part one having already been mentioned, I like the sequel more)
NOES. The better ones. 2 and 5 do NOT count.
Bad Dreams
Zapped Again
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
My Demon Lover
Puppet Master
Dolls

Granted, a majority of my favorite 80s flicks are campy horror, but I figure…it was a great decade for cheesy effects. Give me an oozing flesh wound with latex and an air pump any day over CGI.

And I couldn’t agree more with Ozone’s summary of those decades. I wanted to tack on a few about the 20s-60s, but ‘years of innovation and experiments with the film genre and narrative structure’ ended up in just about each one of them. Definitely not something I could use to describe this decade, so far. Or the 2000s…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved