Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Anyone around here cooking with crockpots?
Lonnehart at 5:35PM, March 29, 2008
(online)
Last week I went and got me a 3 quart crockpot. Just recently I finished making beef stew with it and now I'm preparing the ingredients for a 12 hour pot roast recipe. The cooking time works well with me since I'll be going to work right after I get the thing going and barring power outages I'll have a nice cooked meal when I come home. :)

Anyone else cook with this nifty kitchen tool? Any recipes to share?

Yes, yes… I post too many food based topics. Thankfully my sister doesn't visit these forums or she'd post a topic on mixed drinks!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
rabidmochi at 3:03AM, March 30, 2008
(offline)
Um… I don't even know what a crockpot is.
xD;; A slow-cook pot?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
Custard Trout at 4:37AM, March 30, 2008
(offline)
Lonnehart
Last week I went and got me a 3 quart crockpot. Just recently I finished making beef stew with it and now I'm preparing the ingredients for a 12 hour pot roast recipe. The cooking time works well with me since I'll be going to work right after I get the thing going and barring power outages I'll have a nice cooked meal when I come home. :)

You're going to leave it unattended? That's a really, really, stupid thing to do.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
Ozoneocean at 5:05AM, March 30, 2008
(online)
Sounds damn tasty though…. Gaaaah I want it!

… but a little dangerous… just a little :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
Lonnehart at 6:53AM, March 30, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
You're going to leave it unattended? That's a really, really, stupid thing to do.

Well, it's a SLOW COOKER. I'm not going to sit next to it for 12 hours…

Now to have dinner. I'm back from work and the pot roast smells REALLY GOOD! :)

just a simple pot roast recipe

need a 4 quart crock pot for this one.

3 - 4 pound chuck roast trimmed of fat
3 large potatoes, sliced thin
2 large carrots, sliced thin
1 large onion, sliced thin
1/2 teaspon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup water

Put vegetables on the bottom of the pot. Mix in salt and pepper. Put the meat on top then add the water. Cook on low for 10-12 hours.
parkbenchbook at 11:18AM, March 30, 2008
(offline)
You can leave the crock pot unattended just make sure there's nothing anywhere close to the perimeter of it. I come from a long line of firefighters and have extreme paranoia about starting fires. I check all the knobs on the stove every time I leave even if I haven't cooked for example. Still I'll leave the pot on while I'm at work and so will the rest of my family. Crock pots don't get that hot. You can put your hand on the side of it without getting burned. And of course you want some amount of liquid in there.
I'm sure if you scour the news you'll find some story of a crock pot burning down a house but it's generally safe if you use common sense. They used to have varying temperatures. However unless you buy a really fancy one nowadays, even high and low are the same temps (it's just the time it takes to reach that temperature).

The real disadvantages are that they tend to cook the vitamins out of what you're eating.

Also, you can use kidney beans pre-cooked (from a can) but if you put uncooked kidney beans in there you could get pretty sick.
I'll post again with a recipe for you soon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
skoolmunkee at 12:15PM, March 30, 2008
(offline)
I use my slow cooker fairly often. Usually it's to make soups or something, I keep thinking I should use it more. It's great for meats.

One thing I do use it for pretty often is cooking up a batch of chicken, which I then shred and fridge/freeze to put into things later. Toss the chicken in with some chicken broth and let it cook for 6 hours. Take it out and it just falls apart.

Oh, always brown your chicken on the stove before cooking it in a crock pot. The temperature of a crock pot doesn't get high enough to reach the bacteria-killing temperature needed for poultry, so cooking it a bit on the stove first will take care of that. I didn't used to bother til I got really sick once from not doing that.

Slow cookers are pretty safe to leave unattended. Make sure you put a thick wooden cutting board underneath them though, especially if you have stone countertops.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
TheMidge28 at 6:33AM, March 31, 2008
(online)
you can so leave it unattended! that's the whole point of a plug in crock pot, so it slow cooks while you are busy with other things…like work!

We use ours all the time to make a variety of tasty dishes!
Best tender roast on the planet!

I once made a plum chicken in the crock pot which you put into a wrap and it was amazing!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:24PM
CoyoteLongshot at 11:50AM, March 31, 2008
(offline)
I make the best damn cheese dip in the world with my crock pot. Unfortunately, I've promised that the contents of said recipe would not be disclosed. :(

But I usually use it for those crock pot meals you can find in the frozen aisle. They're really tasty, I just wish they weren't so dang expensive…
I'm on the Hairway to Steven, baby!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
Peipei at 12:52PM, March 31, 2008
(offline)
Lonnehart
Custard Trout

Well, it's a SLOW COOKER. I'm not going to sit next to it for 12 hours…

Now to have dinner. I'm back from work and the pot roast smells REALLY GOOD! :)

just a simple pot roast recipe

need a 4 quart crock pot for this one.

3 - 4 pound chuck roast trimmed of fat
3 large potatoes, sliced thin
2 large carrots, sliced thin
1 large onion, sliced thin
1/2 teaspon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup water

Put vegetables on the bottom of the pot. Mix in salt and pepper. Put the meat on top then add the water. Cook on low for 10-12 hours.

Omg, that sounds really good xD I'll have to try that with my crock pot. I've made pot roast before, but i'll have to try this method some day…I'm running out of ideas for recipes :S.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
deepcheese at 4:55PM, March 31, 2008
(online)
yummm. I just ate some pot roast made in a crockpot. It's some of the best stuff in the world. Your recepie sounds really good too. We ran out of salt over here, so it wasn't quite as good as it could have been, but it was still great stuff. (But seriously though, who runs out of salt?)

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Lonnehart at 1:57AM, April 1, 2008
(online)
That was a great pot roast. I gave some to relatives and they love it as well. Looks like I've got something to bring next time there's a pot luck.

Time for me to try out a few dessert recipes from this book I've been using. :)
amanda at 3:29PM, April 1, 2008
(online)
I HEART my crockpot - it's cute and red. I use it all the time, but my favorite recipe is “Amanda's Anti-Flatulence Chili.” The caveat here is that I don't like spicy things (so it tastes bland to some people - easily fixable) and that I'm a vegetarian, so I use soy “ground beef” (you can easily substitute regular ground beef). I'm down with sharing my yummy recipes if people really want to see them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Lonnehart at 6:16PM, April 2, 2008
(online)
amanda
I HEART my crockpot - it's cute and red. I use it all the time, but my favorite recipe is “Amanda's Anti-Flatulence Chili.” The caveat here is that I don't like spicy things (so it tastes bland to some people - easily fixable) and that I'm a vegetarian, so I use soy “ground beef” (you can easily substitute regular ground beef). I'm down with sharing my yummy recipes if people really want to see them.

Anti-Flatulence Chili? There's a recipe I gotta try. (I'm not fond of spicy foods myself). :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon