Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Anyone Have an Irrational Fear?
Will at 5:45AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
(sry if this has been done)

I know quite a few people with irrational fears. not just your normal everyday things that freak you out slightly, but full blown phobias.

my friend, for some reason, hates going into the freezer, because the sound of things scraping against the frost really freaks him out, no particular reason, just does.

My phobia is cockroaches.

Yup. not a very exciting or original fear, i mean a lot of people are freaked out by them, but my fear of them is completely, stupidly irrational.

I saw one on my kitchen floor a while ago. I flipped out, screaming about all over the place, i fucking ran outta there, outside, and for some reason, whenever i see a cockroach, i instinctively think there are more. I'm treading so slowly in the dark, petrified that i might step on one and get the “unclean” on my body (lol), i fumble for the bug spray, but quickly “realize” that there might be cockroaches on the bug spray (lol?) so poke around then finally grab it with my thumb and forefinger. I go inside, find the bastard and spray it till it's completely white and spray it out the door. I then feel “unclean” and wash my hands using 2/3 of the soap, then completely avoid the kitchen for the rest of the night, so jumpy and on edge, everywhere i look i think i see a cockroach and jump out of my chair. I pick something up: “ohshititmighthaveacockroachonit” *throw item onto ground*

To be honest, i don't get myself, i mean i know they wont do anything, i know the fear is completely irrational, i just flip when i see one. I'll let tarantulas crawl all over me…

meh, I'm strange, I'm also scared of clowns and loud music (story behind those two, but can't be stuffed typing anymore)

However, i also know a lot of you are strange. Do you or anyone you know have an irrational fear? Detailz.
Will
putting your own quote into your sig is the post pretentious and pathetic thing anyone could ever do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
Aurora Moon at 5:55AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
Well, Clowns creep me out but they don't scare me to that point…so they don't count I guess.

I do have a friend who's scared of Holes. and I mean, really SCARED. I found out one day when I was making mac and cheese for her when she came over to play videogames with me and a bunch of other people.
She wouldn't even look at the mac and cheese, and didn't want to eat it because most of the tube holes were poking upwards. and she was actually shivering from just taking one look at it.
She just can't stand all those holes that form almost like this cluster…

of course, like a jerk I laughed at her and she got mad at me. What? come on, it was the stupidest fear that I ever heard of…. =\
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
killersteak at 6:13AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
I have an irrational fear that one day I will wake up to find Will alive. Seriously freaks me out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Ozoneocean at 6:20AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
Irrational?
I don't know… I'm scarred of large waves when I'm swimming in the ocean. Really quite scarred. I'm not sure if that's irrational or not, but I do know that I seem more concerned about them than most people who swim in the ocean… Maybe they're just more stupid or experienced, I'm not sure.

I've been squished, held down and washing machined below the surface into the sand by them before, so it is a fear based on something at least.

Apart from that… being cut? Needles? Dentists…? Human faeces? lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
usedbooks at 7:12AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
Minor claustrophobia? I dunno. I've always been kinda scared of being “trapped.” I always sit next to doors/exits. I don't go into any kind of freak out attack like claustrophobics in movies, so maybe I'm not, but I do have a set of quirks about door locks and things. I HAVE been trapped a few times since then, mostly by doors getting stuck. Once (actually twice) I was trapped in a hotel bathroom. My parents had to call the front desk to come up with tools and remove the door knob. I was stuck in my brother's room and had to climb out the window. I was also stuck in an upside down car after during a wreck and couldn't gather my senses enough to unlock a door for rescuers (they had to bust out a window instead).

I also get nervous around an odd group of specific dog breeds. Rottweilers, German Shepherds, and Dalmatians. No other dogs really make me unjustifiably nervous. My neighbor's German Shepherd made me nervous every time I visited – even though I knew she was a friendly dog. They have a Mastiff now, and I'm not at all scared of him (except the drool, lol). I've never been attacked by a dog or any other animal.

My dad has been. He has a full blown dog phobia. He was actually hunted by a pack of feral dogs, though, so there's precedence for him.

Other than that, I'm very much an animal person, and no other critters scare me. I'm actually rather fond of snakes and rodents. Insects are fine by me… outside. I relocate insects from inside to outside. I get kinda freaked out by masses or swarms of anything, though. One ant in the house is fine. A thousand ants or flies or worms or ANYTHING (bunnies? children?) is more than a little disturbing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
mlai at 7:13AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
Oh yeah, I know about the fear of lotsa-holes. I had that fear when I was a child. Also the fear of a perfect circle.

I think that the fear of lotsa-holes stems from instinctive aversion to beehives and insect nests.

I kinda grew out of both, though. Maybe hormonal changes immunized me.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
amanda at 9:15AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
Let's see, heights and needles are my run-of-the-mill phobias…also wolves and house fires (I always have complicated what-if-the-house-is-on-fire escape plans). Maybe Walt Whitman to a small degree?
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
lba at 9:34AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
Needles going into my own skin. I'm perfectly ok so long as it's going into someone else's arm or something. I can even put a needle into someone else's skin myself without freaking out, but if it's in my skin I have a sort of seizure and black out. I guess that's a little more abnormal than most peoples fear of needles.

Other than that, I'm not really afraid of much of anything any more.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Aurora Moon at 9:58AM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
hmm. now that I think of it, I have this thing about sharp objects being put in my mouth.

Needles, you name it. It's one of the reasons why I hate the deitist… because the creepy perv's always putting sharp crap in my mouth.

But mostly I think it's linked to my fear of internal bleeding. After all, if you were to accidental swallow something sharp, it would most likely cut you up on the way down inside…. which means DEATH.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
SarahN at 12:35PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
There's a room in my house that creeps me out a lot. Sometimes when I have to turn off the lights in the room, I feel the need to bolt out of there fast. XD

What? It's FREAKY when it's dark in there. Then again I'm not good with pitch black darkness in general either…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Whirlwynd at 1:37PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
I had a bad case of emetophobia (fear of vomiting) a few years back. Of course, it didn't help that after I ate anything I would feel nauseous - I ate little more than bread and a slice of meat or two and some water for a few months. I would check expiration dates over and over again, and if someone said they weren't feeling well I would get out of the room/house/whatever and stay well away. Am I glad that's over. On the plus side, I lost 30 pounds -

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
CoyoteLongshot at 2:01PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
Well, I'm actually quite afraid of clowns. Only because when I was little they tried to touch my face once. Face paint, you know. Freaked me out.

Other than that… Let's see… Driving on two-lane highways. It's not really irrational, but every time I think about All I would have to do is drift a foot or two to the left in front of this car and it would all be over… I guess it just scares me more than most people. I'm a very careful driver ^^;
I'm on the Hairway to Steven, baby!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
Nicol3 at 2:29PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
I was hit in the head with a brick by some stupid kid in my neighborhood when I was six- and I remember it coming at me like a video recording. So since then, I've been a super flincher. People could pretty much throw a feather at me and I'll flinch really hard, like car-accidnent whiplash.

Nothing else really freaks me out of my mind, but a few irrational things deliver full-blown chills. Small things grouped together, like bacteria/cells or fungi. I love looking at stuff like that, but whenever I see an image like that I instantly get this goose-bumpy rush down my whole body, and It won't go away until I stop looking at the image. Freaky.
My comics. Take a whiff!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 3:16PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
Not really an irrational fear, more so just something I can't stand, but I HATE jewelery and sparkles… I just can't touch them…
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:55PM
Custard Trout at 4:28PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
Windows that look out onto darkness. I don't mind the dark at all, but if there's a dark room on the other side of a window I have to look away. Teeth (one that has been pulled so you see the roots) and spines also creep me out a lot for some reason. Actually, roots in general. The idea of something growing into (or out of) or being embedded into something else (especially flesh) really freaks me out.

My brother is genuinely terrified of zombie invasion, he actually has blueprints and plans and maps covering one of his bedroom walls and judges nearly everything by how effective in a zombie crisis it would be.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
amanda at 4:33PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
Ooh, the two-lane highway one is a good one - I also get nervous on those one-lane flyovers. What if someone comes up the wrong way? There's just nothing you can do!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 6:02PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
being embedded into something else (especially flesh) really freaks me out.
I hope to dear god, you don't go anywhere near a botfly
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:55PM
parkbenchbook at 6:03PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
Having the hiccups. I had the hiccups for like three days once and now I'm reduced to a state of terror whenever I hiccup. Not kidding.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
mlai at 6:06PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
My brother is genuinely terrified of zombie invasion, he actually has blueprints and plans and maps covering one of his bedroom walls and judges nearly everything by how effective in a zombie crisis it would be.
Can I LOL?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Custard Trout at 6:52PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
mlai
Can I LOL?

If you want. It's not as if it'll make him any crazier.

Of course, when the zombies come, it'll be him smashing our heads in with a shovel.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
kyupol at 6:53PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)

I'm afraid of the giant lizards that rule the earth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
crazyninny at 7:15PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
I fear of me cutting myself. I never done it, nor do I even want to, but I fear that I could accidently cut myself at work or something. *I work with knives. Very SHINNY knives.*
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
omegasonic0 at 7:35PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(online)
For some reason, I can't stand the feel of cotton balls. That and sometimes basements.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
Priest_Revan at 10:02PM, Feb. 23, 2008
(offline)
Well, I have a huge fear of big ass spiders and other bugs. I mean, I just freak out…

Other than that, I have fears, but nothing too crazy.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
skoolmunkee at 3:14AM, Feb. 24, 2008
(offline)
Aurora Moon
She just can't stand all those holes that form almost like this cluster…

Haha, I've got this one. It's not really a fear though, more like a visceral disgust. Any organic-looking clusters of holes (the smaller they are the worse it is) and I get the creeping willies. I get an overwhelming urge to squash/smash/destroy whatever it is to make the holes gone.

People laugh at me too about it :[
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
crocty at 4:54AM, Feb. 24, 2008
(offline)
Weeeeell, Midge's community comic about fears has stuffs.

But, I do have a fear of looking at dangerous sharks of any sea creature with a big open mouth.
It's the fact that if I'm eaten by them I would be trapped, and if I don't die of the bites, and loss of blood, the lack of oxygen and stomach acid would most likely kill me.
It's quite irrational as I'm afraid of sharks that don't even eat humans, and never would.
And whenever I look at a picture of a shark, mouth open or not, I start having an asthma attack.
:(
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:51AM
imshard at 5:48AM, Feb. 24, 2008
(offline)
I'm terrified of getting in trouble, and particularly terrified of being unfairly punished for things I didn't do.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
usedbooks at 11:37AM, Feb. 24, 2008
(online)
I had a friend in high school who was completely freaked out/disgusted by hairs. Not just hairs in food – any hairs that were not directly attached to a head. This included her own hair! I once saw her run her hand through her hair and then saw a loose hair on her hand and completely freaked out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
jgib99 at 12:28PM, Feb. 24, 2008
(online)
Like the guy who started this subject. I have a serious phobia of cockroaches. One of the apartments I used to live in as a kid was infested with the damn things. It was so bad, we had roaches that would literally jump from the ceiling and into your drink (NOT lying). Thankfully, we left that place soon after. But my skin still crawls every time I see a cockroach.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Lonnehart at 1:34PM, Feb. 24, 2008
(online)
I have a fear of guys with the last name of Bill. Every payday I have to go see them and give them some of my earnings. If I don't, Mister Bill will take things from me. What I fear most of all is when they decide to come for a visit to make me pay them…

And soon I have to worry about Mister Tax Bill… O_O
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon