Comic Talk and General Discussion *

anyone noticing the ads lately?
carrollhach at 5:38AM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
I have noticed that the banners for drunk duck have gradually shifted from comic- and game-centric spots to vibrant, jiggly shills for Pizza Hut, Intel and just about any other damned thing. Since banners are used for revenue and since this is a free site I can't really complain, but many of the ads are really ugly and poorly designedr moving randomly and constantly. When you add this to the “default sound ON” flash ads on the front page (where it is often impossible to mute the thing without clicking on the ad) it makes for a diminished experience. I find it so distracting I'm seriously considering moving my comics to a more professional-looking site such as Webcomicsnation.com because they have a subscription upgrade where you can opt out of having a Propecia ad screaming above your comic. I would really miss the DD community, though, as I've been here several months.
Any plans to perhaps offer an upgrade so we can avoid badly designed random banners bookmarking our artwork?
Josh Carrollhach
For profile inormation, other comics and general blog stuff, please check out
http://www.drunkduck.com/Clench_and_Cheese/
The Clench and Cheese Blog
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
snark at 7:14AM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
Y'know, I never really noticed that… =P

Think I've just become oblivious to ads in general
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
subcultured at 7:27AM, May 17, 2007
(online)
i think that's a good sign if the ads are well known companies. that means that dd is atttracting better and higher paying sponsorships.

an example would be the UFC, i remember when they barely had any ads (mostly from local diners) and they didn't turn much of a profit and couldn't offer many things for thier fighters.

now they have big companies like xience, x-box…etc
they were able to afford bigger places to fight, health insurance coverage…

the higher paid TV channels usually have a higher quality programs than, say PBS.

so IMO it's a good sign that those big companies are advertising in DD
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
silentkitty at 7:41AM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
I think my eyes have become so used to ads blinking and flashing at me that I don't even pay attention to them anymore, so I hadn't noticed that the content had changed. I definitely haven't noticed any ads with sound on the comics themselves, which is where I'd draw the line. =p The content of the ad on my page doesn't really bother me unless it's for something offensive. It'd be nice if they were related to comics, but like Sub said, I'm sure big companies pay big bucks for ad space, so if it's helping out the site, it's good by me.

It would be nice to have a subscription fee for people that want to opt-out on ads on their site, but in the meantime, I really don't think they're worth relocating to another site over. (Especially not WCN, which I really have very little good to say about. =x)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
Roguehill at 7:47AM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
Like Silentkitty, I hadn't even noticed.

As long as the ads don't include pop-up ads you have to click to close (damn you, Yahoo!) I'm good.

-Dave

GHOST ZERO
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
Hijuda at 9:25AM, May 17, 2007
(online)
Pizza Hut ads? I never saw those. I just saw the ad for Fix8, with the little kid playing as a dictator preaching to his army of nazis the evil of the Jews.

Or maybe I'm just imagining things.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
marine at 12:23PM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
the higher paid TV channels usually have a higher quality programs than, say PBS.

Thats why the best shows are on HBO!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Memmy at 12:24PM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
I'm okay with those ads, I just let the comics distract me from it (though the FIX8 bobbing head one is very mesermizing…). Or I just scroll it a little bit so I cant see it. Its good that they're there to keep DD going.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
marine at 12:25PM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
Commen on ads is the same as always:

I don't care. As long as they don't have annoying flying sounds or say “YOUVE WON AN XBOX 360/IPOD/WHATEVER” or start yelling or screaming, etc. We'll live. There are ways to disable ads and stuff like that, but then you'd have to turn them back on to watch flash cartoons (as shitty as they are) or you tube videos (again, shitty as they are, you gotta watch them). I don't know though, its been months or possibly years since I've hung out on newgrouds or camp chaos.. I wonder whats going on over there….
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Luminous at 2:15PM, May 17, 2007
(online)
I don't really mind the ads… The only problem I have with them is sometimes, if I get a flash ad when I'm on a comic page, and I try to go to another comic via my favorites list, then the ad blocks some of my favorites.

…Although I did find it kind of odd when I saw an ad about Crohn's Disease.

See my art on… Flickr | Tumblr
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
silent_but_eggy at 6:06PM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
they did this discussion on G4TV about in-game ads. it was really interesting. check it out. heres the link http://youtube.com/watch?v=06y0salwTuw and man, check out ultimabond1's comment. what a hilarious nutball
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon