Media Megaforum

Anyone remember when they thought that video would kill the radio star?
Lonnehart at 10:58PM, July 8, 2009
(online)
Music Video: Video Killed The Radio Star

Yet radio personalities are still around and many are still admired. AM radio is still fun to listen to at night, especially that guy who does all that stuff about UFOs and the paranormal. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
ozoneocean at 1:00AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
Ah, the Buggles :)
That song is so tragic, yet kitschy.

So far no form of successful mass media delivery has ever “died”. Newspapers didn't kill books. Radio didn't kill newspapers. TV didn't kill radio OR the cinema…

The internet is meant to signal the end for all of those things. Will it? Radio, TV, and newspapers OVER the internet is interesting. They take a share away from their traditional analogues, but aren't they sort of the same thing anyway? And won't their existence ultimately contribute to the continued longevity of their conventional forms? I think it will, in the end.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Lonnehart at 6:43AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
And won't their existence ultimately contribute to the continued longevity of their conventional forms? I think it will, in the end.

I personally agree with this. And Newspapers didn't kill cave paintings. Rather, cave paintings evolved over time. In fact, Drunkduck is proof of this. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Sea_Cow at 9:21AM, July 9, 2009
(offline)
DVD killed the Video star.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
DAJB at 9:32AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
So far no form of successful mass media delivery has ever “died”. Newspapers didn't kill books. Radio didn't kill newspapers. TV didn't kill radio OR the cinema…
My local Town Crier hasn't been round for aaaages!
;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Hawk at 9:49AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
Maybe no forms of media have died off, but I have absolutely no use for newspapers and magazines anymore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
isukun at 10:47AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
Anyone who works in newspapers or magazines knows those industres have taken a huge hit since the internet came around. Unfortunately, the internet is not as lucrative as the print media and there are many publications that just fade away. Even the major publications have been tightening their belt, laying off a lot of their staff. My father saw it first hand working at the post as the IT department shrunk significantly over the last ten years and one of my closest friends out here in LA changed professions to animation when Newsweek layed off the majority of their graphics department. He still does a lot of freelance work on the side, but that's mostly due to these publications not wanting graphic artists on staff, anymore.

I would say it is much more likely that newspapers and magazines will go the way of the dodo simply because unlike with music videos, there is actual physical evidence that these media formats are declining. I don't think it will happen right away. Technilogocally, we haven't matured enough to not need print material, but I could see it happening within the next 50 years.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved