Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Anyone using drawing tablets?
Adariel at 8:16PM, July 3, 2006
(offline)
Im not actually sure on how to phrase the question, but here it goes

Ive beeen thinking on buying one, but im not sure if it could actually make my life easier by doing so(without actually buying and trying it out first). Originally i ink pages then scan them then try to color in photoshop( i hate cleaning up sketches, such a drag). For those of you guys who made the switch, would you recommend using a drawing tablet for inking works compared to the traditional way im doing things? Is there any disadvantages i should watch out for?
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
br4nzilla at 9:13PM, July 3, 2006
(offline)
I switched to a tablet about a year and a half ago and I'm totally hooked. Originally, I would ink, scan, clean, and then color with a mouse, which took ages.

Now I never ink by hand if I can help it. I scan the sketch and ink on photoshop at about 600dpi and a size three paintbrush. Once you resize, the smoothness of the lines is really nice, plus it's easy to erase and redo a botched portion of the line. You have more control. Variations in line thickness is also easy. No more buying tons of pens!

Coloring also takes a fraction of the time because, again, there's more control.

There are a few disadvantages, sure. I started out with a cheap wacom graphire tablet that died after a few months. ( after I'd become dependent. ;__; ) There are also some driver issues I've noticed that involve restarting photoshop to fix. ( sometimes restarting the whole compy. ugh. ) But those are few and far between.

I use a graphire 4x5 now and it's been great so far. :)
Hope that was a bit helpful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
skoolmunkee at 11:05PM, July 3, 2006
(online)
Just expect a bit of a learning curve, it's very different drawing on the screen as it is to drawing with paper. I usually only color with my tablet- I find it too uncomfortable to draw or ink on-screen. It must be my eye-hand coordination, but I just end up with drawings I'm happier with when I do the beginning by hand.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
Master Loki at 2:55AM, Aug. 19, 2006
(offline)
Even though I have a tablet, I still ink traditionally, I don't know why, but I can never make my lines non-edgy and they still always seem a little bit sketch, for some reason I never really liked inking on the computer, it always seemed… ugly to me (When I do it, not other people's). And also, you don't really have to clean up on the computer manually all you have to do are a few buttons really. If you have photoshop do this

Layers > Levels > Adjustments

Start setting the adjustment level to the left until it looks clean, if it starts kind of erasing some of your lineart, don't worry about it yet.

Afterwards, duplicate that layer, set it on multiply and keep duplicating the multiplied layer until it is dark enough for you to be satisfied.

Works for me, I'm a traditional person, except when i NEED to color nice. :3 It makes coloring hell of a lot easier, I can tell yo uthat.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
ceb_dyson at 10:54AM, Aug. 19, 2006
(offline)
I'm with those that do the sketching and inking by hand, then coloring using the tablet. It's a fairly long process still, but not as long as it could be otherwise.

I did try to do art completely with the tablet, but I've always been so bad at drawing straight lines, let alone clean lines, so I gave up and went back to doing by hand. It took me a few months longer before I figured out what to use my tablet for….completely coloring.

The process I go through (to my fathers dislike) is: sketch, ink, scan…I scan in grayscale because the black and white picks up such annoying details. So, due to the grayscale, I highlight the main lines and layer it all at once (layer copy) and filter it with dark stroke so it's all nice and black. Then I go one to start layering and coloring the details in. Long process, but it's worth it in the end. The tablet helps make it even better because the mouse is just far difficult.

That's my process. You can figure out for yourself how to use the tablet for your advantage, and it really depends on what style is comfy with ya.

Just so you know, the tablet is muuuch easier to use compared to the freakin mouse.
I've too many mottos ta say here, so be glad I'm not saying any of them.

Tale of Two Kitties is Soon to Come…weheheheh!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Locoma at 8:28PM, Aug. 25, 2006
(online)
I don't know about using a tablet for illustration purposes, but for animation is pure fun. I've always loved animation but without a tablet is all work and no play. This is the last one I've done using the tablet: http://www.drunkduck.com/the_simple_comic/index.php?p=77979
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
KamiDaHobo at 2:38PM, Aug. 27, 2006
(offline)
I just got my tablet from home yesterday, so I'm actually working on a new page for CS right now. :D

It's so much easier to vary your line intensity, your opacities with color, and subtle lighting with a tablet.

Like everyone has said, though, there is a learning curve, and also, buying an expensive tablet won't make you a good artist. Practicing with it, however, will. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
shany at 2:23PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(online)
I use tablet. I almost always do my lineart on the computer cuz my pencil art is too messy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 3:10PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(offline)
I use a tablet for my whole comic.

The only reason is because if I scan it, I will have a different size for every comic, because I must scan it in a certain way.

Oh well. It saves a lot of traditional materials, anyway.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Aurora Moon at 3:42PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(offline)
I do it the same way as DancingChaos.

I oringally used to scan in my pages and then ink it on the comptuer, but then my scanner died on me!

with lots of pratice.. you can draw directly into your comptuer and it'll be the same as on paper! ^_^
and I use tons of layers when coloring, doing backgrounds too, etc.

I just love my wacom tablet, and it's lasted me a loooooonnnggg time. proably because I like to take exemetely good care of my stuff. some of the stuff that I brought ages ago, even clothes, still looks like it's in mint condition.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Dan at 3:56PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(online)
I have a wacom tablet but it's been so long since the last time I've used it. I barely use it since the lousy Photoshop can't keep up with my awsome speed *Shot* because the memory sucks *Shot*… and I usually use mouse since I don't have to pick up and put the tablet on my lap every time I need to use it. *Shot*

I want the larger desk back.

…Anyone got suggestions for using the tablet besides using it for art-related stuff, alternative mouse, stabbing, and playing House of the Dead II?
“I like shooting, but I sure as hell don't like being shot at.”
Aurora Moon at 4:10PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(offline)
Dan, I would recommed that you save up money for extra RAM and a good memory card. there's some really great ones out there for cheap, if you know where to look.
with any luck, you could just put your photoshop stuff on the second new memory card.. and aided by the RAM, it'll be able to keep up with your speed. ;)
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
Dan at 4:39PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(online)
Aurora Moon
Dan, I would recommed that you save up money for extra RAM and a good memory card. there's some really great ones out there for cheap, if you know where to look.
I'm 14. I'm broke. My parents refuse to do anything to the computer. I'll probably have to wait until I'm 17-18 before I can do anything about it.
Aurora Moon at 4:51PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(offline)
Dan
Aurora Moon
I'm 14. I'm broke. My parents refuse to do anything to the computer. I'll probably have to wait until I'm 17-18 before I can do anything about it.

well, there's chores for you right? you could still save up, and tell your parents that you'd pay for it with YOUR money. they can hardly argue with that, right?
Dan at 5:06PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(online)
Aurora Moon
they can hardly argue with that, right?
Actually, they can.
ccs1989 at 5:17PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(online)
I use a tablet for coloring things, which is incredibly useful. I'm no good at inking and drawing with it though. You really can't beat the pencil.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved