Networking & Community Projects*

Anyone want me to do a lettering tutorial?
Tommie Kelly at 5:36AM, Jan. 4, 2007
(offline)
Hi, having looked around alot of the comics online here i noticed that the main problem people are having is getting their lettering looking professional/semi-professional/anyway decent. So…

I'm offering to do a lettering tutorial for adobe illustrator, but would it be of any benefit to you guys, ie do you have illustrator? If more people have Photoshop i could do one for that, but it's not as good as illustrator for lettering imho.

Let me know!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:32PM
skoolmunkee at 6:32AM, Jan. 4, 2007
(offline)
I suspect more people use Photoshop than Illustrator, most of the people on Drunk Duck are amateurs. :) I think a lot of people are intimidated by Illustrator because it works a bit differently and isn't intuitive in the same way as Photoshop. So… Illustrator would be a more interesting tutorial, and it might even get people to use it, but Photoshop would probably have a larger audience.

If you do make an Illustrator tutorial, it would be good to include how to move the pages between PS and Illustrator without messing the pages up, so people can do their lettering and coloring without worrying about losing layers, messing up font sizes, etc.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Generic Human at 7:28PM, Jan. 4, 2007
(online)
that's a fantastic idea! You should get in touch with the person who heads the comic tutorials. I personally would really like to see a lettering tutorial. I've no idea what I'm doing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Mystic Hand at 10:02PM, Jan. 4, 2007
(online)
skoolmunkee
I think a lot of people are intimidated by Illustrator because it works a bit differently and isn't intuitive in the same way as Photoshop.

That would be me. I tried a few good Illustrator lettering tutorials recently but gave up and went back to Photoshop (it's a lot more forgiving to amateurs and non-artists). I'd like to be able to make decent balloons though. I'm up for trying again.

Lettering is more important than many creators seem to realize. I always go to cons eager to buy self-published comics at artist alleys, but 99.9% of the time I pass on them because poor lettering leaves me with a bad first impression.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Bill Clam at 10:47PM, Jan. 4, 2007
(offline)
I personally use Photoshop because I can't afford Illustrator at the moment, nor um, *cough* back it up if you dig. But either way, yes, I would love a tutorial.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Tommie Kelly at 4:51AM, Jan. 5, 2007
(offline)
Cool, i'll work on it over the weekend, It's actually alot easier than it seems. I'll make it as simple as possible!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:32PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon