Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Anystar's Marker Art Class
anystar at 1:47PM, Oct. 27, 2006
(offline)
Introduction
For these lessons in coloring with markers, you will not only need the medium tools, but also the understanding that this is a learning experiment; you will have failures, as well as successes. I am not hear to teach you the “correct” way to do something more than guide you along and offer whatever advice, tips and tricks I may have, so please do not take what I have to say personal, and don't blame me for what you produce if it isn't what you expected it to be.. DO take what I have to say with a grain of salt - I am not professional, and I myself am still a student, and someone may come along later and have something different (and better) to say about drawing with markers. Just remember: Take pride in what you do accomplish, however small (you got the eye highlights to sparkle JUST right), and learn from the things you don't.

That said, this class will be taught in a “I write an assignment-tutorial, you draw a response” style. I'll assign something each week, or at least try to, and we can hold class critique of each others work at the beginning of the following week. I've planned for this class to be four weeks (a month) long, but it may end up lasting longer than that depending on conflicts in scheduling and you know, real life of both me and the participants in the class :3

Lessons will begin a few people have joined and acquired their materials. I don't expect there to be a big turnout for this class, as markers are rather expensive to come by, but two or three people would be nice. I'll make a new post here in the thread when that's happened. Please PQ me if you want to join the class! If you want to see my artwork before signing up for the class, please scroll down to the “Suggested Readings and Othersuch Things” section where there is a link to my website as well as my deviantart page - that way you can see exactly what you're getting yourself into! If this class is successful, I might take suggestions for more classes. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Know that this is a learning experience and practice for me as well as it is for you - I will be creating a new piece of artwork with each lesson each week just the same as you will! I'm trying to make this as easy, pain free, and downright enjoyable as I can, as well as provide a positive and productive environment. So of course, suggestions, ideas and questions are ALWAYS welcome feel free to PM me any time!
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Door_in_the_Rock/ >> Fantasy Graphic Novel in Black and White :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
anystar at 1:49PM, Oct. 27, 2006
(offline)
Suggested Tools and Materials

I understand markers are VERY expensive, so we can work around what you have and/or are willing to get :3 These are suggested materials only because they are materials that I use!

- Markers*: E00 (skin white), BV31 (pale lavender), 0 (colorless blender), various other colors in light and dark shades for hair, clothing, and later for backgrounds. If you have any questions or would like me to suggest colors for you, PQ me.
- Warm Gray Marker Set**
- Cool Gray Marker Set**
- White acrylic paint and small (re: TINY) detail brushes.
- Jar (or plastic cup) for water.
- Vellum Bristol Board
- Smooth Bristol Board
- Watercolor Paper
- Watercolor Paints set and various sized-brushes
- Cheap, Normal White Printing Paper
- Lightbox
- Scanner
- Inexpensive Cardstock Printer Paper

*These are the “numbers” on the caps of copic markers ONLY. I haven't used Prismacolor regularly in years, and I've never tried Neopiko or Trias (or any other sort of marker) but I'm sure you can find similar ones out there, or order them online from copic's website.

**I suggest buying cool/warm gray sets only because I found them an invaluable early learning set of markers. Everything I learned about how markers blend, I learned by using cool and warm grey markers FIRST because color is intrinsically harder to do than black-gray-white. I am going to make tutorials on black-gray-white coloring for my “Suggested Readings and Othersuch Things” section, but limit the weekly assignments to color drawings. Also, Using color and grayscale can produce interesting results, too!
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Door_in_the_Rock/ >> Fantasy Graphic Novel in Black and White :3
anystar at 1:50PM, Oct. 27, 2006
(offline)
Schedule
- Week One - Small Scale Artwork: Choosing the right Paper; Preparing an “Experiment Lineart”; Trying Different Combinations.
- Week Two - Small Scale Artwork: Shading and Blending Techniques; Scanning Kills Markers - and other unpleasant truths about traditional-to-digital transitioning.
- Week Three - Medium-Scale Artwork: Filling in Simple Backgrounds; White Acrylic Detailing.
- Week Four - Large Scale Artwork: Watercolors for Backgrounds.

Please note: the schedule is subject to change, not only for my needs, but also for other participants (I hesitate to say ‘students’ since I don't think of myself as a ‘teacher’ ) needs. Just PQ me to let me know if something comes up, or to ask anything, really.

Submitting Assignments
Instead of assignments being submitted first-post-first-critiqued, I'd actually like to have all the assignments in one post. I think this is a good method of having everyone's work “revealed” at once, and will cut down on clutter in the thread. So, when you submit your assignment, you will upload your image to photobucket (or whatever service you use to stash images), then PQ me with the URL of the image. Once I've made the post with all the finished assignments, the participants can comment/critique one each others work. I would like for everyone to make at LEAST one comment on every other person in the group (I will be commenting on everyone), but I understand if that doesn't happen. It actually takes practice to be able to word yourself well in a critique - I only ask that participants try because I think learning to critique is an integral part of any art class.
anystar at 1:51PM, Oct. 27, 2006
(offline)
Suggested Readings and Othersuch Things
- Warm/Cool Grey Markers (coming eventually)
- Mixed Markers and Media (coming eventually)
- Mangapunksai's Tutorials (one of my best friends, and an damn good artist)
- http://www.dickblick.com (very good art supplies for less!)
- http://www.copicmarker.com/ (My personal favorite brand of Markers)
- http://www.seraphim-eyes.net (my personal websie)
- http://anystar.deviantart.com (my deviantart website)
ran at 6:37PM, Oct. 27, 2006
(offline)
Slightly interested.

I was under the impression that the colourless blender is supposed to be used to integrate coloured pencils and watercolor pencils into marker drawings, and not actually blending the markers together–I saw it in your list of tools, and immediately thought ‘people actually use those?’
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
anystar at 7:52PM, Oct. 27, 2006
(offline)
ran
Slightly interested.

I was under the impression that the colourless blender is supposed to be used to integrate coloured pencils and watercolor pencils into marker drawings, and not actually blending the markers together–I saw it in your list of tools, and immediately thought ‘people actually use those?’

Actually, colourless blenders are used to blend two MARKER colors together! I'll explain it better in the marker class, but you basically take two different markers and press them to the tip of a colourless blender, and it mixes the two colors together. You can also press one color to the tip of the marker and use it to create a gradient. It can be used for a few other things as well, it's really an amazing tool, and it's the way I create smooth gradients when I want them. :3 With copics, though, you can combine different inks in empty pen cartidges to make custom colors as well XD I haven't gotten into this yet, though there were a few colors I was interested in mixing for my own purposes - I just haven't ordered those supplies yet.

Different types of colourless blenders (depending on the brand) can be used to transfer another image - say, a black and white print out - to a piece of white paper. That process is better described here: http://www.quietfiredesign.com/Insight/markerblenderpen.htm This doesn't work with either Prisma or Copic blenders, and the only one I've ever actually done it with is Chartpak marker blenders.

There's a colourless blender for coloured pencils as well, if I remember correctly (I haven't used my coloured pencils in a VERY long time), but it's used differently from marker blenders.
ran at 1:04PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
Odd, I was pretty sure.

I use prismacolors, because I currently cannot afford copics. I find the colourless blender tends to cause colours you want to blend together look as though you've spilled water on top of them and ruined the picture–they also make everything bleed like crazy.

I tend to favor layering colours repeatedly, using lighter colours, to using much darker colours several layers later. It's a much more vibrant effect, and all of my highlights are done with white paint or sakura pen-touch white ink pens.

So anyhow, I'll participate =)
anystar at 4:07PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
Ahh, I totally understand. The only reason I can afford copics (I started with Prismas, as they were less expensive) is because my Uncle owns a million dollar art studio and he buys them for me XD; I have the airbrush converter for the markers too, but I'm not very good with it.

I'm not going to use the blender marker very much in the ‘tutorial lessons’ when I write them (and take pictures) since I tend to favor layering colors as well. It definitely DOES make things more vibrant :3 I've found that you have to use the blender sparingly to get good effects with it.

I know what you're talking about with the prisma blender. I think that the copic blender just works differently - because I NEVER used the copic blender thinking it would be like my prismacolor one, till I was in my uncle's studio and a read this thing on how to use it. The copic one doesn't bleed the way that the prisma one does - but I think that prismacolor markers have more BLEED in general, and tend to be ‘brighter.’ You almost HAVE to layer the same color of copic a few times to get a good dark consistency, since they were made to really imitate watercolors. XD Oh, and the same sorta water-spilling thing happens when you try to spray fixative on a marker piece, oiii. One of my friends did that and ruined one of her pieces. It was sad. D:

Anyways. XD It's good to have you on board.

mishi_hime at 5:28PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(online)
this is a good idea anystar. i think i can join up.
i have most of the aforementioned art supplies. 'cept for a couple of the markers.
i use prismacolors. ive never realy been able to aford copics.
the only problems i have with prismas are the bleed. its too much.
hopefully i can learn something here. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
anystar at 10:23PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
mishi_hime
this is a good idea anystar. i think i can join up.
i have most of the aforementioned art supplies. 'cept for a couple of the markers.
i use prismacolors. ive never realy been able to aford copics.
the only problems i have with prismas are the bleed. its too much.
hopefully i can learn something here. :)

I'm sure you can :3 In the least it's something to practice at. XD! It'll give you a good “step-by-step” look at your own process as well as other peoples.

Welcome on board :3
Knuckles at 10:23PM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
Alrighty, I'll see if I can hit the art store sometime this week and get some prismas.

I only have Crayola markers here atm.. LOL

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Darth Mongoose at 6:52AM, Oct. 29, 2006
(online)
Copics are expensive, so I just buy a few when I have some money. I started off doing my comic in grey markers, and buying colours a few at a time when I had spare cash, and now finally I have enough to do the comic in colour.
More than anything with markers, the trick is to fill an area quickly, before the ink dries, while staying within the lines. Thin outlines can be a pain because ink bleeds through them, and obviously thick, absorbant paper is a bad choice. Obviously since with markers you can only get darker as you go, you have to start with the lightest shade and get darker. After those simple steps, it's largely a matter of practice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
josif at 7:55AM, Oct. 29, 2006
(offline)
Well I would join but all I have is some simple coloured markers… so I cant :(
Your Reading Skills Have Increased By Two Points.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
ShadowsMyst at 10:17AM, Oct. 29, 2006
(online)
I'd like to participate in this. I have a fairly good collection of Copics that I'd like to have a reason to actually learn to use a little better. It sounds like fun.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
anystar at 10:55AM, Oct. 30, 2006
(offline)
All right then :3 I think we have enough people to get some decent results then. How does it sound to start class on Monday, November 6th? I'll post our first assignment, and you guys can send me your finished pieces on Friday. We can do critiques over the weekend.
ran at 5:10PM, Oct. 30, 2006
(offline)
Sounds good =)
Kira Dwenna at 9:27AM, Oct. 31, 2006
(online)
I, too, would love to take this class.

I don't suppose you could offer it again sometime in the future? >_<

That would allow those of us who hadn't the foggiest how expensive art supplies could be to get around to buying some. *nodnod*
Why be a Lesbian if you can't be Serious about it?

“Webcomics should be as fun to write, as they are to draw, as they are to read.”
-Kira
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Knuckles at 9:45AM, Oct. 31, 2006
(offline)
anystar
All right then :3 I think we have enough people to get some decent results then. How does it sound to start class on Monday, November 6th? I'll post our first assignment, and you guys can send me your finished pieces on Friday. We can do critiques over the weekend.

Will you be posting up recommended materials (ie: the type of paper that should be used) for each particualr assignment, as well?

skoolmunkee at 12:30PM, Oct. 31, 2006
(online)
Kira Dwenna
I, too, would love to take this class.

I don't suppose you could offer it again sometime in the future? >_<

You could always bookmark the thread and come back to it when you have the supplies :) You should still be able to do the assignments after the class is done - you could just ask for critiques at that time.

I used to use prismacolors for one of my comics, and yeah, the trick is to color quickly while staying in the lines.

Some general tips I figured out, off the top of my head….

1) color in short strokes - this minimizes streaking and overlap marks, because the ink stays wetter in a smaller area.

2) start light and go darker

3) don't be afraid to mix colors in layers, sometimes you get some much better colors from mixing (always test on trash paper first though)

4) heavy bristol or cardstock was my favorite paper to use, it absorbed the ink but absorbed it downward, and not outward, so there was little to no ‘bleed’

5) I always used the clear blender first, before adding color. I also always used it in a uniform area of color, otherwise you could always tell where the blender ended and where the straight color began. (see above note about mixing colors)… if you lay down a nice heavy/wet layer of blender, then add your colors over it, it will blend better than doing the colors first and putting blender on after, or between colors. The blender is really just alcohol or something and seems to dilute the ink a bit.

IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
anystar at 2:09PM, Oct. 31, 2006
(offline)
Knuckles
Will you be posting up recommended materials (ie: the type of paper that should be used) for each particular assignment, as well?

Yes! The second lesson will discuss in detail different types of paper are good for what types of effects, but every lesson will start by recommending materials to use.

Skoolmunkee
You could always bookmark the thread and come back to it when you have the supplies :) You should still be able to do the assignments after the class is done - you could just ask for critiques at that time.

Yes :3 Since the thread will be available and typed up here in the forum you could just follow the lessons at a later time. XD
Kira Dwenna at 2:53PM, Oct. 31, 2006
(online)
Excellent! I shall read and learn, and read and learn and potentially post at a later date, then. *nod*

Now, to find the green stuff…. -_-

*skhsssh* *skhsssh* *skhsssh*
Why be a Lesbian if you can't be Serious about it?

“Webcomics should be as fun to write, as they are to draw, as they are to read.”
-Kira
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Krae at 2:03AM, Nov. 1, 2006
(online)
Lucky, lucky me! I have many different grey shades of copics, and I would like to know how to use them better. I am definately up for this class, thanks anystar :)
Just curious though, what exactly is the lightbox for? Is it really necessary? I've never used one before…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
anystar at 12:38PM, Nov. 1, 2006
(offline)
Krae
Lucky, lucky me! I have many different grey shades of copics, and I would like to know how to use them better. I am definately up for this class, thanks anystar :)
Just curious though, what exactly is the lightbox for? Is it really necessary? I've never used one before…

They aren't necessary, but I use one. XD They're for creating neater pencils and inkings - basically a big light inside of a plexiglass (or frosted glass) box that helps you trace things. Most animation studios have them, although with the advent of computer animation, things have been moving away from traditional apparati like lightboxes. You don't NEED one of these for the class :3
anystar at 8:56PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
WEEK ONE: Small Scale Artwork
Note: I'm feeling rather ill this week (ie; severe fever, etc.) So I'm probably going to edit this later and add photos and what not. I just don't have the energy. By Friday I will have something to ‘turn in’ with the rest of the class. XD;

What will you need? - Bristol Board (or other type of paper), Inking Pens, Mechanical Pencil, Scanner, Photoshop (or some other editing program), Lightbox, Printer & Printer Paper.

Part One: Choosing the Right Paper
Before starting on this small scale piece, I would like to talk a little about the different types of paper that you can use for different effects. Many people use cardstock, because it's not expensive, and thick enough to get good coloring effects. I, for the most part, use vellum bristol board. I like my paper to have just a little bit of texture - which is the difference between vellum and smooth bristol. Smooth bristol works just as well, though. Every once in a while I like to use watercolor paper. Because copic markers were created to sort-of ‘imitate’ watercolor paint, when you use them on watercolor paper they give off a watercolory-look.

In any case, choose the type of paper that you would like to use for your drawing. In my drawing (which is going to be a chibi-type fanart piece), I used a smooth piece of 9x12 bristol board that I cut in half. After this, come up with a drawing! Haha, I know, this is a terrible explanation. But, I'm assuming we all already know how to draw, and ink. Any case, when you're done inking your drawing, go on to part two.

Part Two: Preparing An Experiment Lineart
- Scan this drawing as a high quality file that you can print.
- Edit the file if you need to, and make adjustments.
- Print a few copies of the drawing on printer paper.

Part Three: Creating An Experiment Lineart (or linearts)
This gives you several practice images to test color combinations on BEFORE you move to coloring on bristol board. Use this as a way to test your palette, and the different colors that you have available to you. Also, I advise trying different types of Color Theory!

When coloring, you might notice that your markers make these ‘test’ prints black ink smear. It's icky, but it's better than messing up your original! As others have mentioned, you want to color quickly and carefully to ensure even and accurate coverage. You'll also want to color on top of something because the markers WILL bleed through your paper some.

You might notice that your marker tips absorb some of the black ink as you color. Keep a scrap piece of paper nearby - if this happens, dab your marker on the scrap paper to remove the black ink. You can also use the scrap paper to test colors on.

I color in a combination of short strokes, and small circular motion - the same way that many people learn to pencil. As skoolmunkee said “This minimizes streaking and overlap marks, because the ink stays wetter in a smaller area.”

The reason why we use thicker paper for final copies of a drawing is because thick paper is absorbant, and therefore colors can be blended and mixed - it is difficult to mix or blend colors on thin paper, because the paper itself cannot HOLD enough ink for more layers to be added. You might notice that when you color your nib will ‘squeak’ this sound indicates that you your paper is ‘full’ of ink, and can't absorb any more.

More On Color Theory: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4838380/?qo=15&q=by%3Asai-manga-tuts&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

Homework: This Friday (or sooner) you will be sending me a scan of the experiment coloring you came up with. Next week, we will complete the final version of this piece
Lin West at 9:03PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
I'll also be joining in myself. I love markers with a passion but am untrained in how to use them “correctly”. I've been kinda doing my own thing (in my webmanga FRGT10 you can see some of my previous coloring work).

How lucky that I recentally bought a lightbox!

(whoneedsmoneywhenyoucanshoplift?)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:35PM
Knuckles at 8:55AM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
Do you want us to post up the scanned work from what we printed on computer paper? or do you want us to post up the bristol board work?

anystar at 12:31PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
Knuckles
Do you want us to post up the scanned work from what we printed on computer paper? or do you want us to post up the bristol board work?

Ahhhh…Actually, you can post up your plain (not color) lineart if you like. XD This section of the class is divided into two weeks so that we can see this in a step-by-step sort of way :3 But in my post (At the very very bottom - all the homework assignments wil be listed at the bottom of the lesson posts *nodnod*) I only said for you guys to send me a scan of the colorsketch/experiment lineart that you came up with, which is on the printer paper. XD If you made more than one, just send the one that you're intending to use when you finish your final drawing (on bristol board).

Lin West
I'll also be joining in myself. I love markers with a passion but am untrained in how to use them “correctly”. I've been kinda doing my own thing (in my webmanga FRGT10 you can see some of my previous coloring work).

How lucky that I recentally bought a lightbox!

(whoneedsmoneywhenyoucanshoplift?)

Welcome to the class :D and lightboxes are wonderful, huh? XD
Knuckles at 1:01PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
anystar
Knuckles

Ahhhh…Actually, you can post up your plain (not color) lineart if you like. XD This section of the class is divided into two weeks so that we can see this in a step-by-step sort of way :3 But in my post (At the very very bottom - all the homework assignments wil be listed at the bottom of the lesson posts *nodnod*) I only said for you guys to send me a scan of the colorsketch/experiment lineart that you came up with, which is on the printer paper. XD If you made more than one, just send the one that you're intending to use when you finish your final drawing (on bristol board).

Alright, just making sure (cause I get confused very easilly, as you can see)
For now, we just draw what we want on the bristol board, ink it, scan it, print it and post up the printed page here?

and btw, I finally got those markers today. I bought prismacolor markers – the set of 24. Goodness they were expensive but luckily I got a discount for it. >_> Everyone says that they are good markers to use, so..

anystar at 2:15PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
Knuckles
For now, we just draw what we want on the bristol board, ink it, scan it, print it and post up the printed page here?

Ahhh…ink it, scan it, print it, color the print out, and post this colored print out. Yes. :D This is just a colorsketch to get an idea of how the markers work, and what colors you want to use for the final drawing.

Knuckles
and btw, I finally got those markers today. I bought prismacolor markers – the set of 24. Goodness they were expensive but luckily I got a discount for it. >_> Everyone says that they are good markers to use, so..

And very good XD! Prismacolors ARE good markers to use.
anystar at 2:17PM, Nov. 7, 2006
(offline)
Knuckles

Ahhh…ink it, scan it, print it, color the print out, and post this colored print out. Yes. :D This is just a colorsketch to get an idea of how the markers work, and what colors you want to use for the final drawing.

Knuckles

Awesome! Prismacolors ARE good markers to use. They're less expensive than copics too, but they aren't refillable.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved