Debate and Discussion

Apparently, stealing from webcomics is okay...
dragonsong12 at 2:55PM, April 9, 2007
(online)
I'm sorry, this may have been posted in another thread. I don't run through the forums enough to know for sure, but if not, I felt it needed to be.

I'm sure many of you have heard about the purple pussy vs Todd Goldman fight by now. Now I don't read Purple Pussy, and that particular comic doesn't really make me want to, but it's the principal of the thing. I mean that's blatant, and regardless of whatever the artwork is (not that I dislike the comic, it's just not one of my favs) that's no excuse for stealing. You can't even really give the “appropriation” argument as nothing has been changed or altered, there is no commentary. Cleary, you are supposed to belive that Goldman did this himself. (as stolen from the starslip crisis blog, I'm not good at ranting on my own XD) So I decided to spread the word even if I get slammed for it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2416213&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If I had anything from David and Goliath, I would burn it as a show of solidarity. But I'm not about to go and hand my money over to him NOW.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
Black_Kitty at 3:02PM, April 9, 2007
(online)
Yeah it's been posted in another thread~
http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=28154&cid=226
I also posted about it in Comixpedia.

But yeah, this is not an example of appropriation. I know there have been people out there who talk about Andy Warhol's Campbell soup works and Lichtenstein's comic ones but those are not the same as what Goldman's doing. I may joke about appropriation but it's not a fancy term for stealing.

And no it's not a homage either.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
Lace at 12:28PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
I was going to post something about the whole todd goldman thing on drunkduck but i see you got to it first. I just want to say that i've read alot of the material on this art theif and i am thoroughly sickened by his actions. Not only is he stealing from great artists, his work is crappy childish versions of the originals… traced no less! how sad…

i hope the orignal artists lump together and sue the pants off of him! The orignal artists need to be selling their art for thousands in a gallery instead of that fraud. As a matter of fact, there are artists on drunk duck and the rest of the net whose could draw circles around that fraud and they get nothing. These people just want to share their hard work on the internet with people. It takes a truely creative person to do that. he's getting paid off of someones hard work, blood, sweat, tears and lost time. he should be drug into the streets and beat with a jagged mailbox and then sued for every penny he's swindled from those great web artist!

But thats just my opinion,

~*Lace*~

*~Lace~*
Believe in your dreams and your determination will last you a lifetime…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
SpANG at 1:20PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
I don't think we need 2 threads discussing the exact same thing.

*LOCKED*
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved