Comic Talk and General Discussion *

apple, the technological fascists
bongotezz at 2:26PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Hahaha, that's not what I mean though Bongo. :)
Macs, no matter the chips, will always be PCs apart. Simply because of of business model. But while you CAN buy an Apple PC, you can't really buy a “Windows” PC. You get me? People call them that, but it's just intellectual laziness, they're simply PCs: ANY operating system can be made to run on them.

That's the broad theory… Of course most of the components are designed with Windows in mind because it's the dominant PC OS by far. But still, they're not really “Windows PC”s, at least NOT in anywhere near the same way as Apple Macs are Apple PCs.

yup. you are 100% right. i think saying windows PC is easier than listing all the makers of PCs that run windows. and technically they are all PCs because PC is personal computer. maybe saying Apple OS compatable PCs vs Windows compatable PCs would be better. but i remember reading somewhere that some computer nerds hacked OSX and got it to run on a Windows compatable PC and with Apples using Intel chips i bet Windows could run on an Apple PC. AHHHHHH!!!! i give up. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
subcultured at 2:48PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(online)
apple gets mad when they can't make additional profit off of their customers.
i bet they even try to figure out how to make a profit everytime you go to the rest room
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 2:50PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
Racist. D:
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:05AM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 2:52PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
Atom Apple
subcultured
Racist. D:

you mean, fruitist.

…rofl awful.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
Custard Trout at 2:52PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
i bet they even try to figure out how to make a profit everytime you go to the rest room

iPiss.

Cutting edge urinating technology.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Ozoneocean at 6:17PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(online)
Custard Trout
iPiss.

Cutting edge urinating technology.
Sorry dude, Nintendo beat you to it with the Wii. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
horseboy at 8:59PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
marine
Isn't there another phone thats better than the iphone? I belive a certain internet guy mentioned as being the best? It looks like that one is the one to go with. Text messaging is about as innovative and smart as the guys who put playstation 2s in their steering wheels, which if you can't tell from my condescending and satirical tone, is stupid like the ipod, iphone, imac, ianything. Not thatâ�
Bitches like texting!
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
SteveMyers22 at 1:19AM, Oct. 19, 2007
(offline)
My cell phone's about 5 years old. I need a new one. I was thinking of getting an iPhone sometime soon. But now I'm not so sure.

As far as Mac vs. PC goes …

- I'm a graphics artist. I've spent 12 years working on macs at various newspapers, publications and printing houses. Mac Mac Mac Mac Mac Mac Mac. It's like the printing world runs on Mac. The moment I saw Adobe offer Photoshop for the PC, I rejoiced. I use a PC at home. Because at home I do more than just make stuff for printing. And now that all of the graphics software is usable on PC, I might as well maximize what I use at home. In terms of which is better, I have no clue. I hate all computers equally when they don't work or have a bug. And love them all equally when they're working as intended.

- Those commercials with Justin Long? Yeah, uh, I dunno, they make me like PC better, because the guy who plays the PC is just plain funnier. Justin Long's the straightman for that. And even though all of the punchlines are supposed to show PCs negatively, the fact that the PC guy is funny makes me like him and his computer more. Apple should think long and hard about that ad-campaign. It's almost as disastrous as the e-surance thing where I have no clue what's going on half the time.

That's all I got. I'm not as tech saavvy as I should be.
– Steve Myers, Creator of The Adventures of Superchum on Drunk Duck, and at Superchum.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
Ozoneocean at 1:55AM, Oct. 19, 2007
(online)
SteveMyers22
Those commercials with Justin Long? Yeah, uh, I dunno, they make me like PC better, because the guy who plays the PC is just plain funnier.
Exactly :)

Man, those ads… You have one funny guy who just seems so relaxed and “himself”; the way he talks, his body language, his clothes, everything. And then the “Mac” guy just seems to be trying WAY too hard, everything about him is a calculated pose to try and make himself seem “cool”: the way he talks, all his body language, the way he's dressed, his hair, even the way his clothes sit. It all just screams: “this is all a front! Look at me, PLEASE think this is cool!”

They send the wrong message… What the ads seem to say to me are that Macs just for those bubblehead try-hards who know absolutely nothing, who aren't even funny or interesting to be around, their only purpose is to try and look “cool”, and fail at it: losers.

Unless they're trying to appeal to 10 year olds, they should switch around the roles.
Heh, I'd compare the ads to a team like Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin, and say that people usually liked Lewis more (in those films) even though he played an idiot, or even Bob Hope and Bing Cosby and the way people liked Hope more (in their films) even though Cosby was the smooth one, but both Bing Cosby and Dean Martin were a Trillion Billion times better at being cool dudes than the Mac guy.
Poke Alster at 2:29AM, Oct. 19, 2007
(offline)
I've always thought that Microsoft is better, Apple did well with itunes and things like that but Microsoft will always be superior
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Rutger at 10:37AM, Oct. 19, 2007
(offline)
I hated those commercials…the Mac guy would piss me off.

K.A.L.A.-dan! rutGAR desu!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:13PM
subcultured at 5:18PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
wow, apple can suck my sack…
Someone
The company is now accepting only credit or debit card payments for the devices so they can track who purchases the phone, according to one Apple Store employee.

People looking to walk into an Apple retailer and buy an iPhone with cash will be out of luck. The company is now accepting only credit or debit card payments for the devices so they can track who purchases the phone, according to an employee at the Apple Store in New York's SoHo neighborhood.

The new policy is Apple's attempt to prevent people from purchasing and then unlocking and reselling iPhones, a situation that has been a problem for the company. Apple won't let anyone without a credit card or debit card in their name purchase iPhones, according to an unidentified Apple Store employee in a phone interview.

"We need to track the purchases of the iPhone we have people buying the phones, unlocking the phones and selling them," she said.

A report by the Associated Press last week said Apple was limiting the purchases to two devices and allowing users to purchase them only with credit or debit cards. According to store employees, the two-device limit has always been in place, but the noncash policy is new.

Apple's public relations team did not respond to multiple requests for comment on the new policy. However, it's no secret the company is trying to stem the tide of unlocked and resold phones, now totaling about 250,000. Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook mentioned that number last week in a quarterly results conference call as the difference between the number of handsets sold – approximately 1.4 million – and those actually connecting via AT&T Wireless, the iPhone's exclusive U.S. carrier.

If one analyst's estimate is correct, those unlocked phones are costing Apple millions of dollars. Piper Jaffrey analyst Gene Munster said that he believes Apple receives US$18 per iPhone per month from AT&T Wireless, based on iPhone-related revenue Apple reported in its latest quarterly earnings, totaling more than $4.5 million in lost revenue.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139041-c,iphone/article.html
J
freefall_drift at 7:25PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
Fuzzy Modem
Like I
PC = Manual transmission
Mac = Automatic transmission
Years ago, back in the windows 3.5 days, I loved Macs cause I could create with them. I didn't know or care how it worked, just like I don't care how a pencil works. I was just able to use it. As time went on, and PCs copied all the best features of a Mac, there was no reason to exclusively use a Mac. The PC had attained the ability to be used as a tool, right out of the box. And the open nature of a PC, allowed for more diversity. That, by the way, is why Linux wont catch on. Until JoeBob and Aunt Minnie can just put Linux in on their computer and just use it, it won't get popular.
Freefall Drift - A sci fi space opera of a starship's mission of stopping the Endless Kings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
subcultured at 7:59PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
J
Sidwarrious at 8:54PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(online)
You'se a bit of a hater. But I see where you're coming from. But what can you expect from a company like that with one of the worst consumer bases of all time? I have yet to meet a Mac user who is NOT a pompous ass or thinks he's better for using a piece of machinery.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
Ozoneocean at 2:14AM, Oct. 30, 2007
(online)
Sidwarrious
I have yet to meet a Mac user who is NOT a pompous ass or thinks he's better for using a
There aren't many like that… I think you get that more in certain places on the net. I mean, there's the morons who go to product launches and cheer and stuff and those idiots who queue up in lines outside shops, waiting to get the latest product: those are like a bizzaro ultra capitalist parody of communist breadlines and rallies lol!

But you get crazy zombie people who do that for lots of different technology products…

No, almost all the Mac users I've ever known were perfectly fine. I think there were only two arses: a lecturer at my old Uni, he was one of those sad fanatics and a bit of a cock generally. The other was a tech support guy who thought they were the best thing on the planet… But the computers he was in charge of, although they were super high-end, tended to run like crap… I think he was just really shit at his job lol!

———————————————-

About that iphone thing though., that's part of a very negative trend with tech: companies don't want you buying the stuff and owning it any longer, they want you renting it from them forever. Same model as online RPGs and software generally. You don't really own it, the company does, you just pay for the privilege to use their stuff. ;)
Rutger at 12:54PM, Oct. 30, 2007
(offline)
We finally got those iMacs the other day, and I have to say that it isn't as bad as I was expecting. We use them for editing (With Final Cut Pro), and so far I haven't had any problems with it, apart from the getting to know the system standards.

Then again, We were editing on a constantly freezing PC before, so anything's better than that. Even a mac.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:14PM
spacehamster at 9:25AM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
I replaced my Windows PC with a Mac Pro last week. I am never ever ever in a million years going back to Windows. See, I don't have an IT degree. To keep a Windows machine running smoothly, you practically need an IT degree. I just want a computer that works. I'm not required to know exactly how the gas in my stove combusts in order to be able to fucking cook with it either, it's only with computers where thousands of people apparently think unless you know the most minute details of how the machine works, you shouldn't be entitled to use it.

I do realize that I'm being robbed blind for a computer that could be made with the same performance at half the price, but short of acquiring the aforementioned IT degree, I have two options, so I choose the lesser of two evils. If you really want a good machine at a fair price, you have to build it yourself and install Unix or Linux. Neither of which I'm capable of. So I bought a Mac.

Now Apple's other gizmos I don't know about. I got my iPod for free, so I'm cool with it, but the “black box” behavior does irritate me, and I wouldn't dream of buying an iPhone. Dumbest, most overpriced turd ever. But as far as their computers go, there isn't a sensible reason in the world for me to stick with Windows. Especially now that most Windows machines you buy won't actually have a fully developed OS installed, but the beta version of something called “Vista”, the fully operational version of which we can expect to be available in about two years. F that.

And besides, you're just jealous because my computer's prettier than yours. ;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Sidwarrious at 9:27AM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
No Ocean, I stick by it. I've met ALOT of mac users who are douchebags. I only know 2 who are cool and about 50 who are of the douche varity.
subcultured at 10:05AM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
“my other computer is a porche” :)
J
Vindibudd at 10:47AM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
subcultured

What company is happy when they make less of a profit?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
subcultured at 10:52AM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
meaning they want all exclusive rights to your dollar…they make a machine only they can repair and upgrade. if you buy other products/software they get mad and brick your machine (i.e iphone)

not a very good way to keep customers from coming back or new customers buying your products…but the ceo is an egotist and thinks he shits gold
J
Rutger at 11:04AM, Nov. 3, 2007
(offline)
It's gone as far as me preferring Fnal Cut Pro over the Windows version of Avid, but still, I'm a Windows guy. I'm used to XP, never had any troules with it, and in my entire life I've seen maybe 4 bluescreems of death on my own PC.
So yeah, I'm sticking to Windows.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:14PM
Vindibudd at 12:24PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
subcultured
what do you think of how apple is treating their customers.
this old apple ad shows that they are the controlling entity and not the woman with the hammer

You know, I really don't understand this attitude people have. You know going in that you are locked down to one carrier and that is Apple's right as the manufacturer of the product. They designed it to work a certain way and ATT developed a feature that works on the iphone that other carriers don't have. So you go buy the phone and then throw tantrum because you can't ignore how the phone is supposed to work. It is like getting mad that you buy a civic and you can't drop a MACK truck engine in it. GTFU. For real. Bunch of babies.
subcultured at 1:13PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
it's more like you're renting a phone…

they refuse to even look at it, some iphones that was all legal no new programs and they still got bricked. apple said some iphone may be disabled…if this happens then they said you should buy another $600 phone.

wow great customer service.

also 60 days later they lowered the price by 200 dollars, although they said they can get a rebate back but you can only use it at an apple store. hmm…so really they still have your money in the end.

shiesty.
J
Vindibudd at 1:42PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
subcultured
it's more like you're renting a phone…

If you rent something you have to give it back at the end. So no, you are not renting an iphone.

subcultured
they refuse to even look at it, some iphones that was all legal no new programs and they still got bricked. apple said some iphone may be disabled…if this happens then they said you should buy another $600 phone.

1. How long is my iPhone covered by Apple's warranty?
Apple's Limited Warranty for iPhone covers your iPhone for one year. Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of original retail purchase (“date of purchase” ).

So either you are making this up because you hate Apple for some personal reason or the person who said that Apple would not repair a bricked phone from an update is a liar. People lie. It is a reality. I know this because I do tech support and have done it for multiple electronics companies for years.

subcultured
wow great customer service.

Apple has no obligation to fix something that someone used in a way it was not designed to be used.

subcultured
also 60 days later they lowered the price by 200 dollars, although they said they can get a rebate back but you can only use it at an apple store. hmm…so really they still have your money in the end.

This is called supply and demand and most companies don't offer anything to previous customers when they drop a price. In this regard, Apple should be lauded.

subcultured
shiesty.

Sheisty is selling an operating system that isn't finished for 5 different price points.
subcultured at 2:07PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
you buy something, and then the company decides to make it inert because they don't like the way you are using it…sounds like renting to me.

you buy it, it's yours. hell, if i buy an iphone and shit on it…that should be my right to do so.

how about if you buy a $3,000 computer and then you update and then it shuts down…the only place that can fix it won't touch it. great investment there.

i'm not making it up
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Changes+Mind+About+Third+Party+Support/article9322.htm
Someone
Apple is remaining firm on its stance about unlocking: Unlock your iPhone and update, and you phone will be dead. If you don't like it, they say, buy a new iPhone and don't unlock it.

lawsuits:
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+ATT+Sued+for+iBricking+Monopolistic+Behavior/article9247.htm

Someone
The federal case accuses Apple of unfair business practices, violations of antitrust laws, violations of telecommunications laws and violations of warranty laws. It states that by disallowing user modification of phones to work on other networks, Apple and AT&T willfully and knowingly intended from the initiation of their partnership to maintain a monopoly.

Apple punished consumers for exercising their rights to unlock their iPhones. Apple issued a software update that ‘bricked’ or otherwise caused iPhone malfunctions for consumers who unlocked their phones and installed the update. Apple's unlawful trust with AT&T substantially lessens competition and tends to create a monopoly in trade and commerce throughout the entire United States.
J
Vindibudd at 6:10PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
subcultured
you buy something, and then the company decides to make it inert because they don't like the way you are using it…sounds like renting to me.

You apparently don't understand the definition of renting.

subcultured
you buy it, it's yours. hell, if i buy an iphone and shit on it…that should be my right to do so.

And if you whine because your shit breaks the iPhone then Apple doesn't have to replace it. Isn't it amazing how that works?

subcultured
how about if you buy a $3,000 computer and then you update and then it shuts down…the only place that can fix it won't touch it. great investment there.

That's an awesome analogy that is completely invalid. A phone is not a personal computer.
If you buy a car, and they say that the only place you should drive the car is on a road and then you mod it so you can drive it on water, then why should the original company pay for your modifications that are incompatible with road use?

You are altering the way the device is meant to be used and complaining because your modification is not supported by the manufacturer. That is the height of stupidity.

subcultured
i'm not making it up
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Changes+Mind+About+Third+Party+Support/article9322.htm
Again, they messed with the phone (in direct opposition to what Apple stated should be done) and did things to it that where never supposed to be done with it and are now mad that their screwing around is not supported by Apple. Wah Wah Wah.

Someone
Apple is remaining firm on its stance about unlocking: Unlock your iPhone and update, and you phone will be dead. If you don't like it, they say, buy a new iPhone and don't unlock it.

Shocking how much sense that makes.

Someone
lawsuits:
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+ATT+Sued+for+iBricking+Monopolistic+Behavior/article9247.htm

The federal case accuses Apple of unfair business practices, violations of antitrust laws, violations of telecommunications laws and violations of warranty laws. It states that by disallowing user modification of phones to work on other networks, Apple and AT&T willfully and knowingly intended from the initiation of their partnership to maintain a monopoly.

A monopoly is controlling an entire industry. You don't have to have an iPhone to make phone calls. You don't have to use ATT. You can get a Samsung and use Verizon like I do. This lawsuit is tantamount to saying “Burger King is running a monopoly because I can't get a Whopper at MacDonalds.”

Someone
Apple punished consumers for exercising their rights to unlock their iPhones. Apple issued a software update that ‘bricked’ or otherwise caused iPhone malfunctions for consumers who unlocked their phones and installed the update. Apple's unlawful trust with AT&T substantially lessens competition and tends to create a monopoly in trade and commerce throughout the entire United States.

B.S.
Sidwarrious at 6:14PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
Wow…Someone bout to get KNIFED son.
subcultured at 6:18PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
Someone
That's an awesome analogy that is completely invalid. A phone is not a personal computer.
If you buy a car, and they say that the only place you should drive the car is on a road and then you mod it so you can drive it on water, then why should the original company pay for your modifications that are incompatible with road use?

apple is the one that sank the car, there's your analogy.
they broke it purposely

you buy a car, you mod it to drive on water, then an apple guy comes in and shoot holes in your boat. you go to the store “WTF, man!”.
guy goes…“you broke it by moding it.”

evil i say.
J

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon